PDA

View Full Version : Any chance we trade a receiver for a CB?

snarky
02-24-2011, 10:51 AM
We are pretty stacked at receiver at the moment. I know Hines isn't likely to be here in a few years. But with Wallace looking like a legit #1 and both Brown and Sanders showing promise, we have four legitimate receivers.

If the opportunity was there, I would really consider swapping either Brown or Sanders for a young CB with good cover skills (even if the Steelers had to throw in a late round pick to sweeten the deal, I would probably be OK with this). I know Plax has said he would like to come back to the Steelers. Maybe we could get a few years out of him as well to fill the gap at receiver.

So maybe our receiving corps next year would be

Ward
Wallace
Plax
Brown/Sanders
ARE/Sweed/??
Battle

I'm not sure who we could get in a deal like this. But I don't think we need a world beater (assuming we retain Ike). As long as we get a guy with proven NFL-grade cover skills I think it is a superior option to paying over the odds in the free agency market or drafting a guy and hoping he shows in camp.

D Rock
02-24-2011, 11:16 AM
We got McFadden and a 6th for a 5th.

If there's a young player we want who has shown he can be good, then keep the receiver and just shell out a 2nd or 3rd round pick when the time comes.

I've never understood why players aren't traded more often in the NFL. It happens so much more in every other sport, but then again draft picks are like gold because that is really the only way to obtain new players, without farm systems to bring them up through.

Still, I'd feel better about trading a 2nd or 3rd round pick every year for a semi-known commodity in a player from another team than by drafting an unknown every year.

The Sodfather
02-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Stacked at WR????

My friend you and I have a different definition of stacked.

flippy
02-24-2011, 11:51 AM
I'd be ok with this if we could get the right player. Call me crazy, but I still think Sweed has the most potential upside of anyone on our roster.

If he gets healthy and plays like he's capable, I wouldn't be surprised to see him making his way up the depth chart.

grotonsteel
02-24-2011, 12:02 PM
If Sweed can make a comeback then i would say we are stacked at WR but right now we have only Mike Wallace. Hines Ward has slowed down and he might retire in a year or two.

Manny and Brown still need to prove themselves. I am looking forward to these players to make significant improvements in their play.

snarky
02-24-2011, 12:16 PM
OK, perhaps stacked isn't the word. But (at least IMO), we are very capable at #1 and #2 and #s 3 and 4 aren't bad either. Ward had fewer receiving yards this year but is that due to him slowing down or Wallace emerging? I think the value that we've gotten out of Ward throughout his career (aside from his blocking) has mostly been his third down consistency and that hasn't really changed.

As for Brown and Sanders, I'll agree that they aren't pro-bowlers yet. But both have shown themselves to be NFL capable. It's hard to say what the situation will be with Plax but for the sake of argument let's assume the Steelers see him as capable and sign him. At that point, would we possibly see a move like this?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Can player for player or player for pick trades even happen with no CBA in place come draft time? Even without that answer, I would say no.

steelblood
02-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Good cover corners are far more valuable the 2nd and 3rd receivers. It would be tough to get a very good corner even if we offered both of them.

Crash
02-24-2011, 12:52 PM
You can't trade players during a lockout.

NW Steeler
02-24-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm not convinced that Wallace is a bonafide #1. He is a great receiver, but certainly has some holes in his game. He needs another receiver opposite him, and unless Ward has found the fountain of youth, that receiver is not on the roster.

StarSpangledSteeler
02-24-2011, 01:38 PM
We are pretty stacked at receiver at the moment. I know Hines isn't likely to be here in a few years. But with Wallace looking like a legit #1 and both Brown and Sanders showing promise, we have four legitimate receivers.

If the opportunity was there, I would really consider swapping either Brown or Sanders for a young CB with good cover skills (even if the Steelers had to throw in a late round pick to sweeten the deal, I would probably be OK with this). I know Plax has said he would like to come back to the Steelers. Maybe we could get a few years out of him as well to fill the gap at receiver.

So maybe our receiving corps next year would be

Ward
Wallace
Plax
Brown/Sanders
ARE/Sweed/??
Battle

I'm not sure who we could get in a deal like this. But I don't think we need a world beater (assuming we retain Ike). As long as we get a guy with proven NFL-grade cover skills I think it is a superior option to paying over the odds in the free agency market or drafting a guy and hoping he shows in camp.

This is a very interesting idea. My initial impression would be "do it". The problem is what caliber of CB could we realistically get? Certainly not a #1 pro-bowl level CB. Coud we get a legit #2 starter? I don't think so. I think we would be looking at a #3 CB, maybe a dime/nickel guy, and I don't know that I would give up Sanders or Brown for that. maybe Sweed.

aggiebones
02-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Yea, let's count on Sweed and Plax and trade off Sanders :)

If ever there was a case to use the saying Bird in the hand versus 2 in the Bush, this is it.

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Can player for player or player for pick trades even happen with no CBA in place come draft time? Even without that answer, I would say no.

The only trades allowed until a new CBA gets ratified would be pick-for-pick trades during the draft. There can be no actual player movement, though player-for-player or player-for-pick trades are off limited until a new agreement is reached.

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Stacked at WR????

My definition definitely involves Salma Hayek. :P

:Boobs

hawaiiansteel
02-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Stacked at WR????

I like the way you think... :Cheers

http://www.thesalmahayek.com/UserFiles/2009/10/7/Salma%20Hayek%20-%20Bono%20Shakira%20Salma%20Hayek%20and%20More%20T eam%20for%20Clean%20Water%20Mission.jpg

chiken
02-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Have we given up on C. Butler?

Discipline of Steel
02-24-2011, 07:17 PM
Stacked at WR????

I like the way you think... :Cheers

http://www.thesalmahayek.com/UserFiles/2009/10/7/Salma%20Hayek%20-%20Bono%20Shakira%20Salma%20Hayek%20and%20More%20T eam%20for%20Clean%20Water%20Mission.jpg

Yeah, just imagine that...... :Beer