PDA

View Full Version : Steelers make a big mistake!!

Prowler
02-23-2011, 08:35 PM
.....and sign Lamarr Woodley for 10 million for next season. IMO, we are not getting value and are in fact getting the most overrated OLB in football. Fifty tackles from an OLB in a 3-4D is disgraceful. Not to mention the fact that most of Woodley's sacks were dong sacks, from being unblocked. At least Harrison worked for his sacks and was held on almost every single play.

Big mistake on managements part once again!! I would have let him walk.

hawaiiansteel
02-23-2011, 08:41 PM
.....and sign Lamarr Woodley for 10 million for next season.

you would have allowed a rising, young star in the prime of his career to leave without any compensation, huh?

I'm glad you're not part of the Steelers' brain trust...

Dee Dub
02-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Other 3-4 OLB's

DeMarcus Ware 66 tackles
Clay Matthews 60
Terrell Suggs 68
Brian Orakpo 56
Tamba Hali 52

Now…what is the major difference between these LB’s and LaMarr Woodley? These LB’s primarily rush the QB. Very rarely are any of these guys asked to cover. Woodley on the other hand is lucky to rush the QB 50% of the time.

Keeping LaMarr Woodley is huge! Steelers got this one right. :Clap

Prowler
02-23-2011, 08:59 PM

you would have allowed a rising, young star in the prime of his career to leave without any compensation, huh?

If you want to call an OLB in a 3-4D with an average of 3 tackles a game a rising star than you are certainly entitled to that opinion. The Steelers are way overpaying Woodley and all we are doing is driving up the price to sign real star OLB's of the present and future such as Harrison. You know the guy who had twice as many tackles as Woodley, twice as many forced fumbles as Woodley and more real sacks not of the dong variety.

I'd rather spend this 10 million on a top of the line CB or a safety to replace slow Ryan Clark and or an interior lineman, thank you very much!!

I don't really believe we will miss Woodley' production at all. We could put Lawrence Timmons there and get twice the production of Lamarr guaranteed. Foote could fill in for Timmons next season or even Sylvester and we would be fine.

Dee Dub
02-23-2011, 09:09 PM
I dont think anyone here is going to argue that James Harrison is a better OLB than LaMarr Woodley....but with Harrison we may be talking about the best defensive player in the entire NFL.

Let's keep in mind after 3 years in the NFL James Harrison was trying to find his way onto an NFL roster. So looking at it like that...Woodley is light years ahead of Harrison at his current age. And that isnt something you just want to let get away.

Jigawatts
02-23-2011, 09:16 PM
LVG

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12574&p=154829#p154829 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12574&p=154829#p154829)

ScoreKeeper
02-23-2011, 09:18 PM
OMFG the wisdom of Prowler. Everybody step aside. :roll:

Wood sucks too. He should be cut along with Ike and Ben.

Prowler
02-23-2011, 09:41 PM

I have never said any such thing about Ike or Ben so please don't lie about me!! Nevertheless, thanks for the props.

ScoreKeeper
02-23-2011, 09:48 PM

I have never said any such thing about Ike or Ben so please don't lie about me!! Nevertheless, thanks for the props.
You're name says it all. you've been posting s hit since you were old enough to get on your mommyaunts lap and tap a keyboard while sucking a tit.

Prowler
02-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Other 3-4 OLB's

DeMarcus Ware 66 tackles
Clay Matthews 60
Terrell Suggs 68
Brian Orakpo 56
Tamba Hali 52

Now…what is the major difference between these LB’s and LaMarr Woodley? These LB’s primarily rush the QB. Very rarely are any of these guys asked to cover. Woodley on the other hand is lucky to rush the QB 50% of the time.

It is amazing that you watched everyone of the Cowboys games, Packer games, Raven games, Redskin games and Chief games and than focused on recording whether or not those OLB's were in coverage or not on every single play. You certainly are very thorough. :roll:

ScoreKeeper
02-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Other 3-4 OLB's

DeMarcus Ware 66 tackles
Clay Matthews 60
Terrell Suggs 68
Brian Orakpo 56
Tamba Hali 52

It is amazing that you watched everyone of the Cowboys games, Packer games, Raven games, Redskin games and Chief games and than focused on recording whether or not those OLB's were in coverage or not on every single play. You certainly are very thorough. :roll:
Nobody can take you with any thing but a grain of salt. You are known on every message board, as is 43/irongut/blockhead/whatever, as an a ssclown. All you do is waste the site owners bandwidth.

Prowler
02-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Scorekeeper wrote:Nobody can take you with any thing but a grain of salt. You are known on every message board, as is 43/irongut/blockhead/whatever, as an a ssclown. All you do is waste the site owners bandwidth.

Again, thank you for the props!! I'll keep trying my best as always to bring a balanced, fair assessment to all things Steeler related so that you can keep being an admirer. All the best, scorekeeper.

ScoreKeeper
02-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Scorekeeper wrote:Nobody can take you with any thing but a grain of salt. You are known on every message board, as is 43/irongut/blockhead/whatever, as an a ssclown. All you do is waste the site owners bandwidth.

Again, thank you for the props!! I'll keep trying my best as always to bring a balanced, fair assessment to all things Steeler related so that you can keep being an admirer. All the best, scorekeeper.
Hey, I guess if being know as an a ss makes your hecker pard, then you the man.

Prowler
02-23-2011, 10:29 PM

Hey, I guess if being know as an a ss makes your hecker pard, then you the man.

If being an a ss means that I started a football related thread than yes I guess I'm the man. What does it make you however, when all you've done is take shots at me in this thread and have not once discussed anything football related with me. Ponder that my friend?

calmkiller
02-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Dont feel the troll.

Flasteel
02-23-2011, 10:39 PM

So you admit to having all of these screen names on here and other boards? The same negative manifestation of your personality under multiple aliases :wft

You should really look this up in the DSM-IV...you have some major issues my friend. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Prowler
02-23-2011, 11:34 PM

So you admit to having all of these screen names on here and other boards? The same negative manifestation of your personality under multiple aliases :wft

You should really look this up in the DSM-IV...you have some major issues my friend. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Huh? You might want to reread up above. I have no other aliases. I don't know how you came to that conclusion. All the best Flasteel!!

aggiebones
02-24-2011, 12:14 AM
why do people pick a cause and go uber nuts about it here.

Lame attempt to get someone to notice you.

Oviedo
02-24-2011, 09:40 AM
the "Ignore" function works great. So does self discipline. Don't respond to anyone here obviously trying to stir up things with all of their "20" posts

The easiest way to spot a "troll" is to look at the number of posts (usually low number and new screen name) and if they are throwing out totally ridiculous posts.

It continues to amaze me how so many of you guys can't resist to take the bait.

feltdizz
02-24-2011, 10:21 AM
the "Ignore" function works great. So does self discipline. Don't respond to anyone here obviously trying to stir up things with all of their "20" posts

The easiest way to spot a "troll" is to look at the number of posts (usually low number and new screen name) and if they are throwing out totally ridiculous posts.

Not trying to feed the troll but I don't think Woodley is a $10 million dollar OLB.

I understand the need to keep him but he reminds me of Santonio Holmes... awesome when he is on top of his game but prone to disappear for stretches in a season.

It's getting a little tense on this board. Anyone who questions a player or a franchise move is called every name in the book.

Where was this when BA was getting bashed? :D

feltdizz
02-24-2011, 10:24 AM
why do people pick a cause and go uber nuts about it here.

Lame attempt to get someone to notice you.

why do people go ape sh!t anytime someone doesn't agree with a move by the Steelers?

Can someone please post a list of players and coaches we can't discuss on here? :wink:

Oviedo
02-24-2011, 10:32 AM

Not trying to feed the troll but I don't think Woodley is a $10 million dollar OLB.

I understand the need to keep him but he reminds me of Santonio Holmes... awesome when he is on top of his game but prone to disappear for stretches in a season.

It's getting a little tense on this board. Anyone who questions a player or a franchise move is called every name in the book.

I share your opinion about Woodley (Timmons is a better all around player) but IMO eventually he signs a contract for less than $10M to get "guarateed money."

My point was just that one individual in this thread is clearly a troll baiting people and they respond to him. Guys like like that need to be ignored (no direct responses) and they go away until they reappear under yet another new name with 12 posts.

steelsnis
02-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Because if he is who we think he is, Prowler is the poster formerly known as LasVegasGuy. LVG was a constant, constant basher of everything that happened after Cowher left. Damn did he love him some Whisenhunt! And some Russ Grimm!

Constant bashing of Tomlin as a Rooney Rule hire, blah blah blah. We've heard it all before...

BradshawsHairdresser
02-24-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't know if I'd call it a big mistake, but I agree that it doesn't seem too smart to pay franchise money to retain Woodley, especially when we're already paying Harrison franchise money. You have to remember that if we keep Ike, we have to pay him a decent chunk of change...and next year, Troy's contract is up.

I think it would be easier to replace Woodley than to find another very good corner (or a safety like Troy after next season). Oh, well...guess we can ask Harrison and Hines and Casey to restructure their contracts. And who knows? Maybe increased pay will cause Woodley to really ramp up his production.

Oviedo
02-24-2011, 12:56 PM
I don't know if I'd call it a big mistake, but I agree that it doesn't seem too smart to pay franchise money to retain Woodley, especially when we're already paying Harrison franchise money. You have to remember that if we keep Ike, we have to pay him a decent chunk of change...and next year, Troy's contract is up.

I think it would be easier to replace Woodley than to find another very good corner (or a safety like Troy after next season). Oh, well...guess we can ask Harrison and Hines and Casey to restructure their contracts. And who knows? Maybe increased pay will cause Woodley to really ramp up his production.

You are wise.

Here is what to consider:

1. Maybe they want to lock up Woodley because they don't see Harrison playing all the four years of his contract. I only see Harrison for two more years then they release him as cap casualty. Harrison is 33. People can spin the playing time issue but he is still 33.

2. Agree must keep Ike, rest of the CBs are career back ups being forced to play front line roles.

3. I don't think Troy stays. He is best player in the NFL when 100% but I don't think we will ever see 16 games of 100% anymore. I'm afraid he is the next Bob Sanders. Troy also seems to have other interests that he won't be a 35 year old still trying to play football. Football doesn't define who he is.

The Sodfather
02-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Last off-season, and some of this season, a lot of Steelers fans thought Ike "sucked" (or whatever similar term was used) and now he's a must keep or a must re-sign.

I love these message boards.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Last off-season, and some of this season, a lot of Steelers fans thought Ike "sucked" (or whatever similar term was used) and now he's a must keep or a must re-sign.

I was never one of those who said he "sucked". At the same time, I don't believe he's an "elite" CB. But consider the following points:

1) We currently have NO other starting-caliber talent at the CB position.
I should qualify that statement...perhaps Crezdon Butler will prove to be starter material.
But for now, that's an unknown.

2) Even a top-flight rookie CB will not be able to start right away.
With LeBeau's defense and philosophy, this has historically been the case. So even if we get great talent at the position in the draft, we're apt to be a half-season or more away from that talent being utilized.

3) Steelers don't spend much for free agents.
You're not apt to find a starter as good as Ike in the levels of FA that the Steelers go fishing in.

grotonsteel
02-24-2011, 01:58 PM

I was never one of those who said he "sucked". At the same time, I don't believe he's an "elite" CB. But consider the following points:

1) We currently have NO other starting-caliber talent at the CB position.
I should qualify that statement...perhaps Crezdon Butler will prove to be starter material.
But for now, that's an unknown.

2) Even a top-flight rookie CB will not be able to start right away.
With LeBeau's defense and philosophy, this has historically been the case. So even if we get great talent at the position in the draft, we're apt to be a half-season or more away from that talent being utilized.

3) Steelers don't spend much for free agents.
You're not apt to find a starter as good as Ike in the levels of FA that the Steelers go fishing in.

:Agree

NJ-STEELER
02-24-2011, 02:21 PM
anyone upset with 10m figure this year just needs to look at it as a reard for the last couple of years when he was probably the most underplayed player in the league for his production.

$500 K for 10+sacks a year

Dee Dub
02-24-2011, 02:39 PM

Felt…look at James Harrison in year 3 and LaMarr Woodley in year 3. See the difference? Woodley is way ahead of James at the same point in their careers. At this rate (where Woodley has progressed each year in the league), can you imagine where Woodley will be in say 3 years? $10 million will be a discount…and this current $10 million is only for one year and it gives the team a chance to sign him long term. Big picture.

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2011, 03:08 PM
I don't think Troy stays. He is best player in the NFL when 100% but I don't think we will ever see 16 games of 100% anymore. I'm afraid he is the next Bob Sanders. Troy also seems to have other interests that he won't be a 35 year old still trying to play football. Football doesn't define who he is.

I don't think the Sanders comparison is applicable. Sanders has been devastated by injuries. Troy has been nicked up here and there.

For comparison's sake, here are the number of games they played in each season of their careers:

Sanders: 6-14-4-15-6-2-1
Polamalu: 16-16-16-13-11-16-5-14

The Sodfather
02-24-2011, 03:10 PM
At the same time, I don't believe he's an "elite" CB. But consider the following points:

Nothing to consider for me. I've always liked Ike and think he's an above average CB. I would also like to see him back.

It's just I find the huge overall change in opinion on him a bit comical.

Prowler
02-24-2011, 03:16 PM
You guys are overlooking the fact that Woodley was missing in every single game against teams with a winning record. 9 out of his 10 sacks were against teams with a combined 25-55 record!! His sack stats breakdown like this:

4 sacks vs Bengals, 2.5 vs Browns, 1 vs Titans, .5 vs Panthers, 1 vs Raiders and his only sack against a winning record was against the Falcons in week one!! He had no sacks versus the Patriots, Saints, Ravens, Bucs and Jets in those 5 games against teams with a winning percentage above 500.

The stats prove that Woodley's sacks were of the dong variety against lesser offenses where he was left unblocked and had free access to the QB. In fact, can anyone show me a sack he had where he actually had to work to get to the QB? Didn't think so!!

hawaiiansteel
02-24-2011, 03:17 PM
At the same time, I don't believe he's an "elite" CB. But consider the following points:

Nothing to consider for me. I've always liked Ike and think he's an above average CB. I would also like to see him back.

It's just I find the huge overall change in opinion on him a bit comical.

I just think a lot of posters are deathly afraid of the thought of BMac, Willie Gay and Anthony Madison being our top three CBs...

The Sodfather
02-24-2011, 03:25 PM
I just think a lot of posters are deathly afraid of the thought of BMac, Willie Gay and Anthony Madison being our top three CBs...

It's not a pleasant thought, I agree, but I'll be totally surprised if Ike isn't in B&G next season.

People need to realize that it's the NFL in 2010, soon to be 11. The league is set up to have QBs slinging the ball everywhere and for lots of points to be scored. The days of winning every game 13-10 or 17-13 are over.

NJ-STEELER
02-24-2011, 03:57 PM
You guys are overlooking the fact that Woodley was missing in every single game against teams with a winning record. 9 out of his 10 sacks were against teams with a combined 25-55 record!! His sack stats breakdown like this:

4 sacks vs Bengals, 2.5 vs Browns, 1 vs Titans, .5 vs Panthers, 1 vs Raiders and his only sack against a winning record was against the Falcons in week one!! He had no sacks versus the Patriots, Saints, Ravens, Bucs and Jets in those 5 games against teams with a winning percentage above 500.

The stats prove that Woodley's sacks were of the dong variety against lesser offenses where he was left unblocked and had free access to the QB. In fact, can anyone show me a sack he had where he actually had to work to get to the QB? Didn't think so!!

you are soo right.

instead of woodley we can go out and sign that guy who broke a record for consecutive playoffs games with at least 2 sacks. that guy shows he can produce against the better competition.

i think he's a free agent this year too, i forget his name right now though
somebody help me out here

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2011, 04:05 PM

Go find me how many times he has gone sackless in a playoff game. I'll be waiting for a a while, since it hasn't happened yet. He has 11 sacks in 7 career playoff games. I wonder if any of those playoff teams had winning percentages over .500? :lol:

chiken
02-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Didn't Harrison say that he was going to retire after this deal is up?

Steelgal
02-24-2011, 04:40 PM

guess I shouldn't tell you my next jersey is gonna be a #56 then. He's one of my favorite players...

Prowler
02-24-2011, 05:25 PM

Go find me how many times he has gone sackless in a playoff game. I'll be waiting for a a while, since it hasn't happened yet. He has 11 sacks in 7 career playoff games. I wonder if any of those playoff teams had winning percentages over .500? :lol:

That is simply because Harrison gets doubled teamed in the playoffs. The other team knew that Woodley will be a non factor for the most part. They would rather have the occasional OL stunt breakdown sack from Lamarr, allowing him to go unabated to the QB than have Harrison disrupt nearly every pass play.

The Ravens and Jets knew from the regular season that Woodley is a non factor and was easy to handle so they rolled a double team on the true factor in the playoff game, Harrison.

I guarantee Woodley is out of the league in about 2 years. This fraud will be exposed just like Willie Parker was exposed............ and I wonder what poster was right about Parker. That's right it was Prowler, you know the guy with a mind of his own who refused to hang off of Parker's jock and the media's hype. Who was right?

hawaiiansteel
02-24-2011, 05:47 PM
I guarantee Woodley is out of the league in about 2 years.

you are about as wrong as can be with that statement, Woodley is a hard worker and will only continue to improve.

SteelCrazy
02-24-2011, 06:19 PM
I guess the op doesnt watch Woodley play. He is getting pressure on the QB 90% of the time he rushes. Even the media that hates the Steelers all call Harrison and Woodley one of the best OLB tandems in the league.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-24-2011, 06:24 PM

Felt…look at James Harrison in year 3 and LaMarr Woodley in year 3. See the difference? Woodley is way ahead of James at the same point in their careers. At this rate (where Woodley has progressed each year in the league), can you imagine where Woodley will be in say 3 years? $10 million will be a discount…and this current $10 million is only for one year and it gives the team a chance to sign him long term. Big picture.

Sure, Harrison showed a marked improvement after year 3...he hadn't even played much before that point (except ST's)! Woodley, on the other hand, already has a lot of starting experience. Do you really expect, in three years, that Woodley will be doubling his current production? I think his production will remain about where it has been the past couple of seasons. I like Woodley, but for the most part, what you see is what you are going to get. Look, I'm happy we've got him...I just worry about the consequences of spending that much money on him.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-24-2011, 06:33 PM
I guarantee Woodley is out of the league in about 2 years. This fraud will be exposed just like Willie Parker was exposed............ and I wonder what poster was right about Parker. That's right it was Prowler, you know the guy with a mind of his own who refused to hang off of Parker's jock and the media's hype. Who was right?

You go too far. Woodley is not a fraud, and he is not going to be "out of the league" in 2 years, barring a serious injury. He will be a starter in this league for years. And for what we've paid him the past 3 years, he's been a great value.

I just don't believe he's a franchise-type player worthy of franchise-type money. He's very good, but could be replaced by another good OLB (eg., what we did with Porter, Haggans, etc.). I hate to see us overpay when we don't have to, thereby limiting the team from filling other areas of need.

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2011, 08:36 PM

That is simply because Harrison gets doubled teamed in the playoffs. The other team knew that Woodley will be a non factor for the most part. They would rather have the occasional OL stunt breakdown sack from Lamarr, allowing him to go unabated to the QB than have Harrison disrupt nearly every pass play.

The Ravens and Jets knew from the regular season that Woodley is a non factor and was easy to handle so they rolled a double team on the true factor in the playoff game, Harrison.

It says below your username on each of your 23 posts that you joined this board 3 weeks after Willie Parker signed with the Redskins, genius. How could you have possibly come on here and spread your vast knowledge about Parker's Steeler downfall, when you hadn't joined until he was already gone? Unless you are...someone else...coming back...

:lol:

Oviedo
02-24-2011, 08:55 PM

Sure, Harrison showed a marked improvement after year 3...he hadn't even played much before that point (except ST's)! Woodley, on the other hand, already has a lot of starting experience. Do you really expect, in three years, that Woodley will be doubling his current production? I think his production will remain about where it has been the past couple of seasons. I like Woodley, but for the most part, what you see is what you are going to get. Look, I'm happy we've got him...I just worry about the consequences of spending that much money on him.

If Woodley can produce 10-15 sacks a season over the next few years he will be worth the price. He already has the team record for sacks of any player in their first 3 years.

Keep in mind the franchise tag is just keeping him away from others. There will be a long term deal with some amount of guaranteed money that will lower the cap hit. The lack of a CBA is just screwing all this up now and this was the best way to get it done short term.

Prowler
02-24-2011, 09:04 PM

It says below your username on each of your 23 posts that you joined this board 3 weeks after Willie Parker signed with the Redskins, genius. How could you have possibly come on here and spread your vast knowledge about Parker's Steeler downfall, when you hadn't joined until he was already gone? Unless you are...someone else...coming back...

Hey look up my posts on Stillernation. I received more shots at me for my stance on Parker than anyone but in the end I was right. I was the one who made up his nickname of Fumblelina FYI.

pittpete
02-24-2011, 09:11 PM
This reminds of that guy Danno who used to post weekly about Jason Gildon and the Gildong sack.
Back in the Steeler Digest days.
Anyone remember that jack@ss?

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2011, 10:51 PM

Hey look up my posts on Stillernation. I received more shots at me for my stance on Parker than anyone but in the end I was right. I was the one who made up his nickname of Fumblelina FYI.

I have no desire to go to Stillernation. We drafted Mendenhall at the right time and dumped Parker at the right time. But I won't disrespect those 3 straight seasons of 1200+ yards rushing for an UDFA. I will never forgot him running toward my seat in the end zone at Ford Field in SBXL (topped only by James Harrison running toward my seat in the end zone at Raymond James in SBXLIII).

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
02-28-2011, 03:16 PM

If you want to call an OLB in a 3-4D with an average of 3 tackles a game a rising star than you are certainly entitled to that opinion. The Steelers are way overpaying Woodley and all we are doing is driving up the price to sign real star OLB's of the present and future such as Harrison. You know the guy who had twice as many tackles as Woodley, twice as many forced fumbles as Woodley and more real sacks not of the dong variety.

I'd rather spend this 10 million on a top of the line CB or a safety to replace slow Ryan Clark and or an interior lineman, thank you very much!!

I don't really believe we will miss Woodley' production at all. We could put Lawrence Timmons there and get twice the production of Lamarr guaranteed. Foote could fill in for Timmons next season or even Sylvester and we would be fine.

Total crap! This had the makings of another Mike Vrabel debacle, if you think Woodley has max out your a fool.

hawaiiansteel
02-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Total crap! This had the makings of another Mike Vrabel debacle, if you think Woodley has max out your a fool.

if you really wanna hear some amazing comments just ask Prowler (Las Vegas Guy) about Mike Tomlin... :stirpot

ScoreKeeper
02-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Is Prowler LVG?

I thought Prowler was the canadian that said America deserved what happened on 9-11.

BradshawsHairdresser
03-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Prowler isn't LVG. He was around on the Trib board years ago. Was on a personal mission to prove that SFL (now Dee Dub) was a fraud. Ended up calling a truce, IIRC.

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Prowler isn't LVG. He was around on the Trib board years ago. Was on a personal mission to prove that SFL (now Dee Dub) was a fraud. Ended up calling a truce, IIRC.

thanks for that info, for a minute there I actually thought LVG had found something else to complain about besides Mike Tomlin.

I feel much better now knowing that didn't happen. :D