PDA

View Full Version : Willie Colon's agent says Steelers OT is unlikely to return

hawaiiansteel
02-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Feb 23, 2011

Willie Colon's agent says Steelers tackle is unlikely to return

By Arin Karimian, USA TODAY

Right tackle Willie Colon missed all of last season's run to Super Bowl XLV by the Steelers with a torn Achilles tendon. Now, it looks like the free agent might have played his last game for Pittsburgh.

Colon's agent, Joe Linta, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette that there's little chance of his client returning to the Steelers. Bouchette is convinced that the Steelers are ready to move on.

On the Steelers attempting to sign Colon, Bouchette said, "I believe they will make a half-hearted attempt."

"I'm trusting what his agent is telling me. ... I also think if the Steelers really valued him, they would have tried to sign him to a long-term deal last year," said Bouchette.

Colon turns 28 this offseason and has spent his entire five-year career with the Steelers since they drafted him in the fourth round of the 2006 NFL draft. He played in only two games as a rookie, but started every game for Pittsburgh from 2007-09.

Colon is close with QB Ben Roethlisberger and was with the signal caller on the night he was alleged to have committed a sexual assault in Milledgeville, Ga., last offseason. Bouchette dismisses any notion that the Steelers don't want Colon back because of what happened with Roethlisberger.

"Just because Colon was in the same place does not mean he was a bad influence," said Bouchette.

"The Steelers declined to talk to Colon's agent on a new contract long before Milledgeville happened."

Besides Colon, the Steelers have begun working on some other player personnel matters. Pittsburgh designated LB LaMarr Woodley as its franchise player last week. Woodley signed his franchise tender Wednesday, guaranteeing he'll be paid roughly $10 million next season if he isn't signed to a long-term deal.

Cornerback Ike Taylor is the other key free agent for the Steelers, and he could be given the transition tag. Such a designation gives the Steelers the right to match any offer sheet Taylor signs with another team.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... ee-agent/1 (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/02/nfl-steelers-willie-colon-free-agent/1)

Crash
02-23-2011, 07:55 PM
You watch, here comes the race baiters.

hawaiiansteel
02-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Willie Colon Ain’t Comin’ Back to the Burgh (or Is He?)

Posted on February 23, 2011 by ryan

After yesterday’s post on the prospects of Willie Colon moving to guard, I starting thinking. Assuming that we were all transported to a magical place where this could actually happen (in this land, Ike can catch), I was all set to write today about what such a shuffling along the o-line would mean for the Steelers’ draft plans.

Specifically: would a starting lineup of Max, Kemoeatu, Maurkice, Colon and Flozell (and, for shiggles, let’s say the Steelers also re-signed Trai and Jonathan Scott) mitigate the need for drafting an offensive lineman in April? (Obligatorily ducks because I know you just threw something at your screen upon reading that last sentence. Fair enough but hear me out…)

I only bring it because the names mentioned above, along with Dougie Legursky and Ramon Foster, give the Steelers nine offensive linemen. Draft a guy in the first three or four rounds, and you expect him to make the final 53. Not sure where he’d fit in, although there’s always the possibility that Essex or Scott (or both) don’t return to Pittsburgh.

All else equal, I’d lean towards getting younger along the o-line through the draft and jettisoning Essex … and if necessary, whoever grades out as the worst lineman among the names remaining. The danger is that, like the 2010 season, there could be a run on injuries and a rookie would be forced into the lineup. I would say it’s unlikely, but the laws of probability don’t seem to apply to the Steelers. I saw things in 2010 that I could have never, ever imagined (Tony Hills at guard! Ramon Foster at tackle!).

But there is a problem with all of that. As I pointed out yesterday, why the hell would Colon want guard money when he’s an NFL tackle? Second, Eddie Bouchette writes that there is “little chance” Colon will be with the Steelers next season. This assumes that the league and the players’ union avoids impending labor doom, because there are scenarios where Colon might not have a choice on his 2011 whereabouts.

PFT‘s Gregg Rosenthal wonders if that’s just Colon’s agent working from the assumption that the Steelers won’t pay his client what he wants. Seems plausible. And while I’d love to have Colon back (it would be nice, for once, to be able to say “Yeah, the offensive line isn’t the team’s biggest issue heading into training camp.”), I was never convinced that he was anything more than an average to above-average tackle. Yes, there was talk about him being one of the league’s best right tackles before blowing up his knee, but you don’t have to be JJ Cooper to see that that was a stretch.

Yes, Colon would help the Steelers next season, but it wouldn’t take me long to get over the loss if the team decided to move on. Which brings us full circle, in terms of the draft. If Colon leaves, Pittsburgh will again be in the market for an offensive lineman. We know what the current cast of characters can do, and even if Flozell is a year older, it’s not like losing a step will suddenly cripple his game. It wouldn’t be much of a stretch to see him playing right tackle in a wheelchair. In fact, it might actually increase his mobility. But he’s a stopgap. Youth and depth are at the top of the to-do list if Colon bolts.

I’m guessing you saw my “CB or OL?” post from last week (not sure how you could have missed it; I mention it every chance I get). In the comments, tequila0341 links to Mike Mayock’s full take on the Steelers draft needs, specifically the possible lack of cornerback depth at the end of the first round.

During a conference call, Mayock, speaking generally, said that “If you’re looking for a cornerback at the end of the first round, you might have a problem.” But added:

Remember, these are my preferences. Pittsburgh might like the kid from Texas. They might like the kid from Miami. I happen to think the kid from Miami to me is a second or third round corner. He’s not a first round corner.

Aaron Williams, I think would be interesting to them. He’ll tackle. He’s kind of a physical guy, bigger corner. He might be the guy that they look at. If it’s not corner, then I think it has to be offensive line.

I thought they did a great job keeping it together with all the injuries they’ve had this year. But they’ve got to go get one of those big tackles that I’ve already mentioned or get one of those inside guys. One way or another, they’ve got to upgrade the athleticism of the offensive line.

At this point, two months out from the draft and with free-agent implications surrounding the lockout yet to be decided, I don’t know what to think. If Flozell and Colon return (along with a few key reserves), I could see the team passing on an offensive lineman altogether. And, hell, who knows, maybe they’ll even trade up to get the defensive back they really want.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/02/w ... min-burgh/ (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/02/willie-colon-comin-burgh/)

Shawn
02-23-2011, 08:33 PM
If Colon is not re-signed the Steelers will likely take a first round tackle. We can't count on Adams to stay healthy and all the prospects after that are lack luster.

calmkiller
02-23-2011, 11:12 PM
He hasnt been in the league six years. He is a restricted FA. I don't understand why people can't understand this.

Crash
02-23-2011, 11:15 PM
He's a RFA NOW, he can be a UFA if the terms of the new CBA are revamped, ditto for Woodley, that's why they tagged him.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-23-2011, 11:53 PM
The Steelers have to devote big money to Wood and Ike. They have to prepare for Timmons as well.

Going into this year (if there is a this year) they have Starks under contract, Scott cheap if they want him, and Flozell for $5M if they want him. As well, there are several draft options - moreso than finding the next Woodley or Timmons.

Just not enough money in the bank to pay everyone and a possibly gimpy RT is the logical choice to kick out of line.

hawaiiansteel
02-24-2011, 12:04 AM
The Steelers have to devote big money to Wood and Ike. They have to prepare for Timmons as well.

and also for Troy...

calmkiller
02-24-2011, 08:51 AM
He's a RFA NOW, he can be a UFA if the terms of the new CBA are revamped, ditto for Woodley, that's why they tagged him.

He can also be a RFA if the terms are changed. I just annoys me that everyone automatically thinks that it will change to make them FAs. Nothing against anyone here. Just a pet peeve.

steeler_george
02-24-2011, 09:36 AM
I want him gone, he is damaged goods now. Don't let him be another Simmons on this team. Before Pouncey, he was our best OL player, but think about that, that does not speak volume of the the quality we have on our OL.

It is time to bring in quality, enough with this quantity stocking of OL. (time to break ties with Colon, Essex, and Hills) It is time to get younger.

With Starks, Flo, and J. Scott we have enough proven tackles for next year to develope potential draft selection.

Oviedo
02-24-2011, 10:03 AM
I want him gone, he is damaged goods now. Don't let him be another Simmons on this team. Before Pouncey, he was our best OL player, but think about that, that does not speak volume of the the quality we have on our OL.

It is time to bring in quality, enough with this quantity stocking of OL. (time to break ties with Colon, Essex, and Hills) It is time to get younger.

With Starks, Flo, and J. Scott we have enough proven tackles for next year to develope potential draft selection.

I agree with your thoughts. Don't forget Chris Scott. The kept him available last year by putting him on PUP list versus IR. They must see something. Is he the RT of the future?

I do agree that we need to add a developmental player (Hills is done) in this draft but not sure it will be fore Round 3 or 4. Learn more about Jah Reid from UCF.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-24-2011, 10:18 AM

and also for Troy...

We'll see. I'm not convinced that Troy wants to continue playing football. I have always thought Troy to be a man who sees football as a means to an end. A way to set himself up financially so that he can enjoy his life after football.

I can see him retiring after his contract expires, rarely to be heard from again.

Steelers>NFL
02-24-2011, 11:28 AM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":1ojtnb3z]The Steelers have to devote big money to Wood and Ike. They have to prepare for Timmons as well.

and also for Troy...

We'll see. I'm not convinced that Troy wants to continue playing football. I have always thought Troy to be a man who sees football as a means to an end. A way to set himself up financially so that he can enjoy his life after football.

I can see him retiring after his contract expires, rarely to be heard from again.[/quote:1ojtnb3z]

Exactly what I have been saying for months. Troy will retire. He says, football does not define him.
But if you ask most players in the NFL, they could not live without football. Troy could.

Steelers better start looking for the next excellent/great safety now.

flippy
02-24-2011, 11:44 AM
This is fine. Max and Flozell will be fine as starters and Jon Scott played well enough down the stretch to be a starter and he can backup both positions.

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2011, 02:22 PM
"I'm trusting what his agent is telling me. ... I also think if the Steelers really valued him, they would have tried to sign him to a long-term deal last year," said Bouchette.

This doesn't make much sense. Why would we choose to give the guy a big money long term deal last year when he could be kept for a much less expensive restricted free agent tag?

We did the same thing with Woodley last year. Does that mean if the Steelers really valued Woodley, they would have tried to sign him to a long-term deal last year? No. They knew they could get Wood for cheap last year, and know that they will need to pay up now, which is why he got a twenty-fold pay increase this week.

Colon just had tremendously bad luck, sustaining a major injury at the worst possible time.

NJ-STEELER
02-24-2011, 02:27 PM
if we take an OT in the 1st round, i hope its someone that can project to LT in the future.

with scott, scott,flo (for the next year or 2) and hills and essex, i would think we could fill in the RT spot without spending a premium pick on one

hawaiiansteel
02-24-2011, 02:30 PM

personally, I wouldn't put much stock into anything Colon's agent says...remember this is the same guy who called Willie Colon the best RT in the NFL and effectively put Colon's asking price so high the Steelers opted not to try and sign Colon to a long-term deal.

papillon
02-24-2011, 02:45 PM
If Colon doesn't come back I'm fairly certain that Adams will come back for one more year. It will leave the Steelers thin at tackle, but the Steelers have been putting average or below average lines on the field for quite a few years and have still been successful. I'd like Colon to stay, but won't be upset if he decides he can make more elsewhere.

It also might force the Steelers hand in the draft a bit, but probably not much. The Steelers rarely panic at draft time.

Pappy

Shawn
02-24-2011, 07:01 PM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":1sejx9hr]The Steelers have to devote big money to Wood and Ike. They have to prepare for Timmons as well.

and also for Troy...

I can see him retiring after his contract expires, rarely to be heard from again.[/quote:1sejx9hr]

Gotta agree. Seems like Troy has a good head on his shoulders. No one doubts his passion for the game but it doesn't define him. I believe he retires with years left in the tank. Good for him...unfortunate for the Steelers.

Chadman
02-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Troy is not Kung-Fu, destined to walk the Earth getting into adventures- he's a football player that seems slightly different than the normal, average football player.

But he's STILL a football player.

If he's healthy, he'll continue.

Off season plays with board members heads every year... :D

If Colon moves on, the Steelers will be forced to decide what is more pressing- CB or OT- because regardless of what the NFL bobbleheads want to say, the Steelers should get a shot at quality at either position at #31. But not necessarily at their 2nd round pick...

birtikidis
02-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Troy is not Kung-Fu, destined to walk the Earth getting into adventures- he's a football player that seems slightly different than the normal, average football player.

If Colon moves on, the Steelers will be forced to decide what is more pressing- CB or OT- because regardless of what the NFL bobbleheads want to say, the Steelers should get a shot at quality at either position at #31. But not necessarily at their 2nd round pick...
Here's a novel thought... why don't we develop one of the 1,000,000 tackles already on the team and draft a guard...

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2011, 10:57 PM

This confuses me. The team seems more interested in locking up the black Woodley and the black Taylor over the black Colon. How is this a racial thing?

Crash
02-24-2011, 11:12 PM

This confuses me. The team seems more interested in locking up the black Woodley and the black Taylor over the black Colon. How is this a racial thing?

Black Willie Colon was in Georgia with Ben, he was let go.

White Ben was accused of rape, he stayed.

Just wait and watch. You know it's coming.

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2011, 11:35 PM

Black Willie Colon was in Georgia with Ben, he was let go.

White Ben was accused of rape, he stayed.

Just wait and watch. You know it's coming.

What? Colon wasn't accused of anything in Georgia. He blew out his Achilles tendon, an injury many never fully recover from. We have two other important players to sign who will take a large chunk of money. Georgia has absolutely nothing to do with a Colon decision whatsoever.

Crash
02-24-2011, 11:42 PM
What? Colon wasn't accused of anything in Georgia. He blew out his Achilles tendon, an injury many never fully recover from. We have two other important players to sign who will take a large chunk of money. Georgia has absolutely nothing to do with a Colon decision whatsoever.

I agree with you.

But media hacks like Jemele Hill will bring this up.

You watch.

LordVile
02-25-2011, 05:41 AM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":1z3z3uep]The Steelers have to devote big money to Wood and Ike. They have to prepare for Timmons as well.

and also for Troy...

I can see him retiring after his contract expires, rarely to be heard from again.

Gotta agree. Seems like Troy has a good head on his shoulders. No one doubts his passion for the game but it doesn't define him. I believe he retires with years left in the tank. Good for him...unfortunate for the Steelers.[/quote:1z3z3uep]

Ohhhh, the irony! :lol:

hawaiiansteel
02-25-2011, 02:29 PM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":1vfutum4]The Steelers have to devote big money to Wood and Ike. They have to prepare for Timmons as well.

and also for Troy...

Gotta agree. Seems like Troy has a good head on his shoulders. No one doubts his passion for the game but it doesn't define him. I believe he retires with years left in the tank. Good for him...unfortunate for the Steelers.

Ohhhh, the irony! :lol:[/quote:1vfutum4]

good catch LordVile! :Clap

http://www.ilsul6ana.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hs1.jpg

hawaiiansteel
02-27-2011, 02:50 AM
Willie Colon does not plan to be a Steeler in 2011

February 25th, 2011

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/03/10/alg_steelers.jpg

Willie Colon is up for Free Agency this year and even though he says he wants to be a Steeler, he thinks that there is very little chance that he returns to the team. Colon is looking for a big payday and he doesn’t see it coming from the Steelers organization.

Colon is already receiving interest from teams around the league. This is not surprising. Colon was our best lineman in 2009 and there were rumors that someone was going to come in and pay his Restricted Free Agent Tender to the Steelers last offseason. That tender would have given the Steelers the first round pick of the team that signed Colon.

Colon is coming off a major injury though and even if the Steelers want to keep him around they may let him hit the open market and let him see what he may actually get. If the Steelers are close to that offer he may take less to stay. He likes it here and his best friend is here. Colon is and always has been Ben Roethlisberger’s biggest cheerleader and they spend much of their time in the offseason together.

The loss of Colon would make Tackle more of a priority in the Draft but we still have Flozell Adams to fill the void while we work to prepare the next guy in line. Adams is more than capable of getting it done.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2011/ ... nd+Gold%29 (http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2011/02/25/willie-colon-does-not-plan-to-be-a-steeler-in-2011/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedBlackAndGold+%28Bleed+Bl ack+and+Gold%29)

Shawn
02-27-2011, 04:12 AM

Yeah well Mr smarty pants, this just in...we tried to tell you.

http://www.footballnewsshare.com/125069-troy-polamalu-retires-in-order-to-pursue-a-singing-career-satire/

:lol: