PDA

View Full Version : Why we SHOULDN'T go for a wide receiver:

SteelTorch
02-23-2011, 01:11 PM
(Aside from the obvious), but here's a very interesting article on the position and its true impact on the team. My favorite part was the one concerning T. Ocho:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3677_A_CHFF_theory_elevated_to_Man_Law.html

I've said for the past two years we need to stop reaching for receivers. Mike Wallace was an obvious great find, but our decision to ignore other glaring needs has finally bitten us in the a$$.

Oviedo
02-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Unless a top talent falls into our laps like Mendenhall did I wouldn't want to consider a WR until Round 4-6.

Everyone thinks we are solid at WR but Hines's tank is almost empty and while we saw glimpses of potential from Sanders and Brown they were in reduced role situations so neither has proven yet to have #1 or #2 abilities. They may be no more than what they were this year...#3 or #4 receivers.

If someone like Jon Baldwin was sitting there at #31 I think there would have to be a serious discussion in the draft room.

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Unless a top talent falls into our laps like Mendenhall did I wouldn't want to consider a WR until Round 4-6.

Everyone thinks we are solid at WR but Hines's tank is almost empty and while we saw glimpses of potential from Sanders and Brown they were in reduced role situations so neither has proven yet to have #1 or #2 abilities. They may be no more than what they were this year...#3 or #4 receivers.

If someone like Jon Baldwin was sitting there at #31 I think there would have to be a serious discussion in the draft room.

On most of the mocks I've seen, Baldwin tends to be landing in the 40's. I doubt he gets much consideration at 31 with much bigger needs elsewhere. However, if he somehow slipped within our range in the second, then they'd start seriously considering it, I'd say.

The Sodfather
02-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Reach for WRs???

When is the last time we did that???? Troy Edwards???

BradshawsHairdresser
02-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Reach for WRs???

Can you say, "Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed"?

StarSpangledSteeler
02-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Because Ben has difficulty seeing the WR's we do have through his broken nose.

Shawn
02-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Reach for WRs???

Sweed wasn't a reach. He was considered a first round talent who fell into the second due to injury. Hind sight is always 20/20.

ScoreKeeper
02-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Reach for WRs???

Sweed was not a reach in that draft. Hell, he was projected to go in the 1st then slipped. He has all the tools and IMHO, is just a bit snake bitten. That kid could be, and I stress could be, unreal if he has his confidence back. Imagine what might have been had he caught that pass for a TD against the Rats. :HeadBanger

edit: smg beat me to it.

pfelix73
02-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Dwayne Harris.... He is gonna be a star..............CJ jr.

:tt1

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Dwayne Harris.... He is gonna be a star..............CJ jr.

:tt1

Except Calvin is 7 inches taller than Dwayne. If you can overlook that slight discrepancy, they are virtually twins. :P

aggiebones
02-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Sweed was not a reach, nor was he 'snake-bitten'.

While some are hidden gems, he had hidden flaws.
His hands were NEVER great. At tu his junior year, Vince Young was running rampant all over the country. Sweed was always open for mid-range passes since he was always 'half' covered. He caught ALOT of wide open 20 yard passes. He is indeed athletic, but when covered, he's not very good. In the NFL, you are covered. He had never been asked to make a catch with anyone covering him since he missed his senior year.
I think had he played his senior year, he would have been exposed without VY. He would have been drafted, maybe still in the second round, but expectations would have been lower.
I fully back the Steeler's scouting department 98% of the time, but think they may have missed here. There were reasons to be wary of this kid and not just his athletic ability.

NJ-STEELER
02-23-2011, 07:20 PM
with such a good draft class this year, i'd be upset if they didnt consider a WR in at least rounds 3/4 if they know sweed isn't an option. could get some great value there. hopefully its a bigger type guy too.

Sugar
02-23-2011, 07:30 PM
If a WR is BPA, then take him. IMO, the only positions I wouldn't take at #31 are QB, RB and OLB.

Flasteel
02-23-2011, 07:43 PM
If a WR is BPA, then take him. IMO, the only positions I wouldn't take at #31 are QB, RB and OLB.

I would be pissed if we did that. Not only would we be ignoring other areas of need, we'd be inserting someone into the mix, who is going to stymie the growth of Brown and/or Sanders. There's only one ball and so many practice reps to go around.

I have to admit that Sweed also has me intrigued. He's not the reason I wouldn't invest a top draft pick at receiver, but I can't help but think that he hasn't shown us who he is yet.

hawaiiansteel
02-23-2011, 07:48 PM
we also could use an OG, OT, CB, S, NT and a DE.

the Steelers need to stick to their BPA philosophy and not reach for any one position...

BURGH86STEEL
02-23-2011, 08:15 PM
I can see the Steelers drafting a WR in the first round. QB, SS, OLB, and TE are the positions I don't see them drafting in the first round.

ScoreKeeper
02-23-2011, 08:27 PM

You don't think he was after dropping a few passes? Especially after the big one in the AFCC game?

He had hands of gold in college and in camp. He started out by dropping a few easy ones,(and then would catch the hard ones) and it carried over to the Rats game where he dropped a big one. Right now, he's shell shocked.

Sugar
02-23-2011, 09:54 PM

I would be pissed if we did that. Not only would we be ignoring other areas of need, we'd be inserting someone into the mix, who is going to stymie the growth of Brown and/or Sanders. There's only one ball and so many practice reps to go around.

I have to admit that Sweed also has me intrigued. He's not the reason I wouldn't invest a top draft pick at receiver, but I can't help but think that he hasn't shown us who he is yet.

It's the first round, not the whole draft. There will be players for other areas of need in other rounds as well. It a WR falls to us the way Mendy did a few years ago, I'd snatch him up.

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2011, 11:16 AM

It's the first round, not the whole draft. There will be players for other areas of need in other rounds as well. It a WR falls to us the way Mendy did a few years ago, I'd snatch him up.

A.J. Green should be gone in the top 5 or so, and Julio Jones should be gone in the top 15 or so. After that, guys like Jon Baldwin, Torrey Smith, Titus Young, etc. do not represent sufficient value at the end of round 1 to justify ignoring bigger needs elsewhere.

proudpittsburgher
02-25-2011, 01:09 PM

While some are hidden gems, he had hidden flaws.
His hands were NEVER great. At tu his junior year, Vince Young was running rampant all over the country. Sweed was always open for mid-range passes since he was always 'half' covered. He caught ALOT of wide open 20 yard passes. He is indeed athletic, but when covered, he's not very good. In the NFL, you are covered. He had never been asked to make a catch with anyone covering him since he missed his senior year.
I think had he played his senior year, he would have been exposed without VY. He would have been drafted, maybe still in the second round, but expectations would have been lower.
I fully back the Steeler's scouting department 98% of the time, but think they may have missed here. There were reasons to be wary of this kid and not just his athletic ability.

Most of Sweeeeeeeeeeed's biggest and most notable drops came with him being wide open. I can think of at least three where he had at least three steps on the defender, which is the NFL's equivelant of wide open. Outside of the injury which sidelined him for this season, I certainly wouldn't call what happened with this young man being "snake-bitten" either, as you pointed out. He has done all of this to himself.