PDA

View Full Version : Tag for Ike Taylor?

Oviedo
02-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Considering Transition Tag. IMO it is essential because we can absolutley not afford to lose him from an already weak secondary.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 24152.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_724152.html)

Steelers face decision on Taylor

By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Steelers have several unrestricted free agents, but cornerback Ike Taylor is likely to attract the most attention from other teams.

A six-year starter, Taylor has never missed a game because of injury. He has started three Super Bowls and is among a handful of corners to have won two Super Bowls as a starter.

The Steelers still control Taylor's rights. They can use the transition tag on Taylor until 12:01 a.m. Friday, when he becomes a full-fledged unrestricted free agent. At that point, Taylor can sign with any team.

Transition tags pay players the average of the top 10 salaries at the position. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer. The transition tag can be used once a year by each club unless it elects to use a franchise tag instead.

It's uncertain if franchise tags and transition tags will be part of the next collective bargaining agreement. That could be why the Steelers designated linebacker LaMarr Woodley as their franchise player last week.

Woodley, according to the current CBA which expires after March 3, is a restricted free agent because he is a four-year veteran; four-year players are considered restricted free agents under the current deal.

If the owners try to declare a negotiating impasse to continue operations as usual under the old deal, they'll want to continue normal business. If the owners are successful in achieving that strategy, the union will want to return to the first years of the collective bargaining agreement and not just the final, uncapped year.

"LaMarr, under the current rules, is a restricted free agent. He and Willie are in the same boat," agent Joe Linta, who represents five-year veteran and free-agent tackle Willie Colon, said before the Steelers gave Woodley the franchise tag. "The Steelers still have rights to tender them under the rules of an uncapped year."

Instead of giving Woodley a tender offer which is normally done for restricted free agents, the Steelers gave him a franchise tag.

Woodley and Colon will become unrestricted free agents if the new CBA honors the rules that were in place prior to the uncapped year.

Transition phase

A look at the transition tag salary amounts at each position for the 2010 NFL season:

Cornerback: $8.1 million
Defensive end: $10.2 million
Defensive tackle: $6.4 million
Linebacker: $8.4 million
Offensive line: $9.1 million
Punter/kicker: $2.6 million
Quarterback: $14.6 million
Running back: $7.2 million
Safety: $6 million
Tight end: $5.2 million
Wide receiver: $8.7 million

Read more: Steelers face decision on Taylor - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1En5sWRvw (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_724152.html#ixzz1En5sWRvw)

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Harris writes: "The transition tag can be used once a year by each club unless it elects to use a franchise tag instead." Well, we used the franchise tag on Woodley. That sentence sounds to me like you can't use both in the same year. :?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-23-2011, 10:14 AM
The team will be in tough without Woodley....but in a true disaster if they let Ike walk and don't replace him with a top notch proven vet.

Oviedo
02-23-2011, 10:46 AM
The team will be in tough without Woodley....but in a true disaster if they let Ike walk and don't replace him with a top notch proven vet.

If Ike leaves expect the defense getting picked apart more than this year. He is the only CB who can cover a top WR. The other CBs are marginal NFL players.

grotonsteel
02-23-2011, 11:46 AM

If Ike leaves expect the defense getting picked apart more than this year. He is the only CB who can cover a top WR. The other CBs are marginal NFL players.

I think if they let Ike go then they will have to get a top notch CB from free agency or they are planning to draft a CB in first RD by moving up in the draft. Ike is the only corner Steelers have who can cover WR.

Ideal scenario would be sign Ike for 4-5 yr deal similar to Champ Bailey.Draft a CB opposite Ike in 1st Rd. Let him learn the system for 2-3 years and let him take over the No.1 CB spot.

Oviedo
02-23-2011, 11:57 AM

I think if they let Ike go then they will have to get a top notch CB from free agency or they are planning to draft a CB in first RD by moving up in the draft. Ike is the only corner Steelers have who can cover WR.

Ideal scenario would be sign Ike for 4-5 yr deal similar to Champ Bailey.Draft a CB opposite Ike in 1st Rd. Let him learn the system for 2-3 years and let him take over the No.1 CB spot.

Your scenario to me is the only one that makes sense. Keep Ike plus get top talent in the draft.

I'd go one step further and even a second draft pick in the Round 3 or 4 range--either another CB or a S.

aggiebones
02-23-2011, 12:58 PM
So doesd anyone know if we CAN use a Trans and Franchise tag at the same time?

I was honestly furious when they tagged Woodley instead of Ike. We are much more desperate at CB in my opinion. All the CBs can handle their spots to a degree, but if they all get bumped up a level of responsibility, we are doomed. No FA CB will fix that and no CB draft pick we get could fix that. Sticking a top rookie ACROSS from Ike might fix it, but no rookie certainly none we could get can walk in and replace Ike and even keep status quo.

I KNEW the Steelers must have a plan to avoid this, but thought the Ttag was eliminated years ago. I know teams don't use it.
Hope it exists.

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2011, 01:05 PM

Moving up in the 1st for a top corner does not seem to be realistic, since the top corners will likely be well out of our trade range. Patrick Peterson should be drafted in the top 5. Prince Amukamara should be drafted in the top 10. Then there is a drop off to the 3 guys who merit consideration late in round 1 (Jimmy Smith, Brandon Harris, Aaron Williams).

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2011, 01:09 PM
So doesd anyone know if we CAN use a Trans and Franchise tag at the same time?

I was honestly furious when they tagged Woodley instead of Ike. We are much more desperate at CB in my opinion. All the CBs can handle their spots to a degree, but if they all get bumped up a level of responsibility, we are doomed. No FA CB will fix that and no CB draft pick we get could fix that. Sticking a top rookie ACROSS from Ike might fix it, but no rookie certainly none we could get can walk in and replace Ike and even keep status quo.

I KNEW the Steelers must have a plan to avoid this, but thought the Ttag was eliminated years ago. I know teams don't use it.
Hope it exists.

The transition tag still exists, but I believe it was an either/or thing with the franchise vs. transition tag, as opposed to being able to use both in the same year. I recall there being an exception last year for the "Final League Year" scenarios (when stupid crap like the 30% rule popped up) in which teams were given an extra tag, but I was under the impression that that was a one-year-only type of thing. At this point, we don't even know if franchise tags will be a part of the new CBA. If such tags are not included in the new collective bargaining agreement, all of the tags that were dished out to guys like Woodley, Peyton, Vick, etc. this week would be moot.

aggiebones
02-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Then what is this article talking about. Everyone knows we already gave out the franchise tag. Why are they bringing up the ttag if it can't be used.

I believe after a collective bargain agreement, they'll likely keep the current tags since they were done previous to the renegotiation.
That worries me less.

RuthlessBurgher
02-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Then what is this article talking about. Everyone knows we already gave out the franchise tag. Why are they bringing up the ttag if it can't be used.

Welcome to the wonderful world of John Harris articles. His non-sensical ramblings often make less sense than the non-sensical ramblings of a few posters on this board.

Crash
02-23-2011, 02:20 PM
My favorite John Harris article was when he said Hines and Randy Moss may become the first WRs from the same draft class to be Hall of Famers.

hawaiiansteel
02-23-2011, 02:27 PM
didn't the Eagles just use the franchise tag on Michael Vick and the transition tag on David Akers?

Crash
02-23-2011, 02:32 PM
^^^^^^^ Correct. Eagles used both tags.

ncsteeler43
02-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Steelers planned to use both last year but Casey signed and they moved Reed from Trans. to franchise. Issue this year is do last year's rules apply of 2009's?

phillyesq
02-23-2011, 10:23 PM
On the franchise/transition tag, I believe that the general rule was you could only use on or the other. In the uncapped year, two tags were available. Teams are still operating under the assumption that both tags are available -- as mentioned above, the Eagles tagged both Vick and Akers.

The NFLPA is claiming that all tags are invalid, regardless of whether teams use 1 or 2.

While there is no definitive answer, it appears that the Steelers can at least apply the tag to Ike.

Crash
02-23-2011, 10:39 PM
The Eagles tagged Vick and Akers.

NJ-STEELER
02-24-2011, 02:07 AM
did Indy tag the fag?

Crash
02-24-2011, 02:15 AM
Yep.

PSU_dropout43
02-24-2011, 02:20 AM
did Indy tag the fag?
Hey.

Don't hate on BURGH86STEEL's favorite QB.

hawaiiansteel
02-24-2011, 02:42 AM
Ike Taylor is set to be an unrestricted free agent

by Aaron Wilson
FEBRUARY 23, 2011

The Pittsburgh Steelers are contemplating whether to use the transition tag to prevent cornerback Ike Taylor from becoming an unrestricted free agent, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Under that scenario, the Steelers would pay Taylor the average of the top 10 cornerback salaries.

For doing so, they would have the right of first refusal on any offer sheet.

And they have until Friday to make that decision.

The Steelers used the franchise tag to hold onto outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley.

If Taylor was to make it to the open market, and if there's a normal free agency signing period, he would likely be a hot commodity.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ike ... n-tag.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ike-Taylor-could-get-the-transition-tag.html)

Scarletfire1970
02-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Great, we lose our best CB in a secondary that already sucks arse. 0-16 here we come!

flippy
02-24-2011, 11:49 AM
If Taylor goes he goes.

He's fast, covers well, and tackles. But he can't play the ball.

Improve the pass rush and it won't matter who's back there in the secondary. Working a young DT + Worldis + Sylvester into the rotation can help the pass rush. Remember how the Giants got to Tom Brady to win the SB a few years back - it was rotating their pass rush.

We gotta get to the QB consistently. And when we go with 4 man fronts against passing teams, we really need to improve. Another Ziggy would be the best bang for the buck out of the draft.

Crash
02-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Taylor's the best of a bad group of DBs. Our best cover corners are actually named Woodley and Harrison.

Crash
02-24-2011, 11:56 AM
If Taylor goes he goes.

He's fast, covers well, and tackles. But he can't play the ball.

Improve the pass rush and it won't matter who's back there in the secondary. Working a young DT + Worldis + Sylvester into the rotation can help the pass rush. Remember how the Giants got to Tom Brady to win the SB a few years back - it was rotating their pass rush.

We gotta get to the QB consistently. And when we go with 4 man fronts against passing teams, we really need to improve. Another Ziggy would be the best bang for the buck out of the draft.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Crash
02-24-2011, 11:59 AM
No tag for Ike per NFLN.

That's a surprise, to not at least give yourself a chance to match?

aggiebones
02-24-2011, 12:02 PM
He does well in knocking the ball down and actually plays the ball well, just can't HOLD the ball.

So a solid CB may make 3-4 INTs. So we are willing to let him go because of those 3-4 picks? I'd rather have at least him preventing bad plays than someone like Cromartie that gets some picks but gets caught and beaten badly more than he should.

Just me. Yes, finding a ballhawk that understands his responsibility and can do everything would be lovely. But not many out there that can do it ALL. Ike is a stablizing force back there on 1 side that can reduce the performance of top WRs. Not every week, not every player, but the bulk of the top WRs are minimized by him. Over his whole career. Soem seasons are better than others of course.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Colbert was smoking pot. Ike should have been priority over Woodley.

Unless they're planning to go get Asomugha.

Crash
02-24-2011, 12:56 PM
No way. I would keep Woodley over Ike simply because of age.

This defense is old. They HAVE to keep some youth on it.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-24-2011, 01:04 PM

Get Worilds and Sylvester on the field more. Spend a first or second rounder on a CB, and groom him to replace Ike in a year or two. Spend a lower rounder on a project OLB. There are solutions to the problem of losing Woodley. If we lose Ike, I fear we lose a season.

The defensive backfield is sub-par. They HAVE to keep SOME talent in it.

Crash
02-24-2011, 01:14 PM

Get Worilds and Sylvester on the field more. Spend a first or second rounder on a CB, and groom him to replace Ike in a year or two. Spend a lower rounder on a project OLB. There are solutions to the problem of losing Woodley. If we lose Ike, I fear we lose a season.

The defensive backfield is sub-par. They HAVE to keep SOME talent in it.

This defense, with or without Ike will only go as far as the pass rush takes it. Where was Ike or the secondary in XLV? Where was Ike or the secondary in the last 10 minutes of XLIII? When we don't blitz or pressure QBs, we don't stop anyone, with or without Ike.

I don't keep Ike Taylor for two years (in your instance maybe even one) if it means losing Woodley. I just don't. Harrison's up there in age too. What if his back doesn't improve? Then you are screwed if you have to replace both.

The Sodfather
02-24-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm with Crash on this one.

This wasn't even debatable IMO.

NJ-STEELER
02-24-2011, 02:11 PM
we could break a record and get 100 sacks next year and flippy will come on here and say improve the pass rush and the secondary will look better
reality is offenses will max protect when they want to and exploit our secondary.

how about getting a couple guys that can cover someone for more then 1-2 seconds...allowing the team with the most sacks last year ( and 2nd most the year before)getting to the QB

hawaiiansteel
02-24-2011, 02:25 PM
No tag for Ike per NFLN.

guess the Steelers didn't want to pay him that kind of money because once they did Ike would be very difficult to sign to a longer-term deal...Ike could then just play out the transition tag year and become an UFA next year.

Steelers won’t use transition tag on Ike Taylor, or anyone

Posted by Mike Florio on February 24, 2011

The Steelers reportedly considered using the transition tag on cornerback Ike Taylor. And they’ve reportedly decided not to do so.

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that the defending AFC champs have opted not to use the right-of-first-refusal restriction on Taylor, which means he’ll be an unrestricted free agent whenever free agency begins.

La Canfora says the Steelers won’t use the transition tag at all. They’ve applied the franchise tag to linebacker LaMarr Woodley.

Under the rules of the uncapped year, teams are permitted to use a franchise tag or a transition tag on any player whose contract has expired, plus a transition tag on a player with six or more years of service and an expired contract. The NFLPA believes that franchise and transition tags are not available under the current labor deal for 2011.

Taylor, an eight-year veteran, won’t be eligible for any of the restricted free agency tenders. Absent a new deal, he’ll hit the open market, whenever the market opens.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ke-taylor/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/24/steelers-wont-use-transition-tag-on-ike-taylor/)

Crash
02-24-2011, 02:30 PM
guess the Steelers didn't want to pay him that kind of money because once they did Ike would be very difficult to sign to a longer-term deal...Ike could then just play out the transition tag year and become an UFA next year.

Okay. That would have been OK too. What if he gets hurt? What if his legs start to show their age? Then there's no risk for one years pay at top 10 money. If he signs a longer deal his bonus alone would be the same as a top 10 one year tender.

hawaiiansteel
02-24-2011, 02:37 PM

Okay. That would have been OK too. What if he gets hurt? What if his legs start to show their age? Then there's no risk for one years pay at top 10 money. If he signs a longer deal his bonus alone would be the same as a top 10 one year tender.

I'm not sure what the transition tag for a CB this year is expected to be, but the franchise tag is expected to be in the $14-15 million/year range...I know the transition tag will be less, that's just way too much money to pay an Ike Taylor.

Franchise tag too costly for Bengals

For the second straight year, the Bengals likely will not use the franchise tag, meaning Cedric Benson and Johnathan Joseph will be unrestricted free agents.

The deadline for teams to declare which players they want to tag is Thursday. The NFL has not released the official numbers for what franchise tags would be, but it is expected that running backs would be $9-$9.5 million and cornerbacks $14-$15 million. The franchise tag is determined by the average of the top five salaries in that position group.

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/artic ... nav%7Chead (http://www.chillicothegazette.com/article/20110223/SPORTS/110223002/0/SPORTS08/Franchise-tag-too-costly-Bengals?odyssey=nav%7Chead)

RuthlessBurgher
02-24-2011, 02:48 PM
No tag for Ike per NFLN.

I'd imagine that Taylor will give us a chance to match any deal he gets out on the open market. He has an unusually close relationship with Ambassador Rooney, and I doubt that he wants to leave if we are willing to give him a market value deal.

Steelgal
02-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Per inside information from Jim Wexell, Steelers didn't give Ike tag because they feel confident about re-signing him. Wexell talked to Colbert earlier today.

feltdizz
02-24-2011, 06:31 PM

:shock:

I don't see Ike getting a huge contract from any team besides Arizona.

Ike is great in our D but I'm not sure if teams are willing to give him lock down corner money.

Yep, he sucks. Just like Ben. Hell to Christ, they all suck. Trade the bad word team and start from scratch.

Our team motto should be....................

PLAY LIKE A BENGAL TODAY!

hawaiiansteel
02-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Per inside information from Jim Wexell, Steelers didn't give Ike tag because they feel confident about re-signing him. Wexell talked to Colbert earlier today.

thanks for passing that along Steelgal, there is no way the Steelers can afford to let Ike go.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-24-2011, 06:38 PM

That's certainly good news. Maybe Ike will give a hometown discount that will allow the team to make the other moves needed.

hawaiiansteel
02-25-2011, 01:58 AM
Colbert: Steelers, Taylor talking new deal

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 24, 2011

INDIANAPOLIS — The Steelers have talked with cornerback Ike Taylor about a new contract, director of football operations Kevin Colbert said today at the NFL Scouting Combine.

The Steelers are not expected to use a transition tag on Taylor — the deadline for tags is 4 p.m. today — but they have made re-signing Taylor a priority.

Taylor, who recently completed his eighth NFL season and sixth one as a starter, is set to become an unrestricted free agent.

"We've had preliminary discussions with Ike Taylor on a new contract," Colbert said. "The other (free agents) we've had discussion with in more of a matter-of-fact 'Yes, we want to keep as many guys as possible.' "

The Steelers used a franchise tag on outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, and he signed a one-year, $10.1 million contract yesterday.

"Both he and his agent (Doug Hendrickson) are aware that at some point we want to do a long-term deal with him," Colbert said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1EwYzJMli (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_724490.html#ixzz1EwYzJMli)

The Sodfather
02-25-2011, 07:08 AM

Ike is great in our D but I'm not sure if teams are willing to give him lock down corner money.

[quote="The Sodfather":1l9o9k3t]Yep, he sucks. Just like Ben. Hell to Christ, they all suck. Trade the bad word team and start from scratch.

PLAY LIKE A BENGAL TODAY![/quote:1l9o9k3t]

That's not my quote you dumb fluck.

Oviedo
02-25-2011, 10:17 AM

That's certainly good news. Maybe Ike will give a hometown discount that will allow the team to make the other moves needed.

I don't think Ike wants to leave the Steelers. He has seen and talked to guys like ARE and Bmac who left and had miserable careers after leaving. I don't think you can underestimate the effect that may be having in the locker room.

The Steelers will make Ike a competitive offer that will make Ike a wealthy man for the rest of his life. As long as he doesn't get greedy he will be a Steeler until he retires.

feltdizz
02-25-2011, 10:37 AM
[quote="The Sodfather":2ig60ehw]I'm with Crash on this one.

[quote="The Sodfather":2ig60ehw]Yep, he sucks. Just like Ben. Hell to Christ, they all suck. Trade the bad word team and start from scratch.

PLAY LIKE A BENGAL TODAY![/quote:2ig60ehw]

That's not my quote you dumb fluck.[/quote:2ig60ehw]
:oops: :moon