PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison undergoes back surgery

fordfixer
02-22-2011, 02:24 AM
James Harrison undergoes back surgery

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... ck_surgery (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmK5q7Gut42N2vbJo8JDJ1V9t7l_?slug=nfp-20110221_james_harrison_undergoes_back_surgery)

Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison(notes) underwent back surgery today after it was delayed last week due to a fever, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said the surgery was successful.

Per the report, a piece of herniated disc was removed from a nerve.

"Everything went great," agent Bill Parise told the Post-Gazette. "The consensus was no one could figure out how he could play through the season. It was significant but textbook. The surgery went exactly as they wanted it to. James' recovery should be complete."

Crash
02-22-2011, 02:28 AM

Oh boy. Didn't Marvel Smith have the same "successful" surgery?

Oviedo
02-22-2011, 10:55 AM

Is this the beginning of the end??????????????

Everyone can say that at 33 Harrison does not have "lots of miles" on his body but a 33 year old body is a 33 year old body. Harrsion has probably aged himself faster than normal with theway he plays especially with the constant bull rushing of OTs who outweigh him by 50-60 lbs.

steelblood
02-22-2011, 11:04 AM

Everyone can say that at 33 Harrison does not have "lots of miles" on his body but a 33 year old body is a 33 year old body. Harrsion has probably aged himself faster than normal with theway he plays especially with the constant bull rushing of OTs who outweigh him by 50-60 lbs.

Back surgeries are never a sure thing. But, speculation at this point is really quite difficult. And, if he played well with the injury last season, there is no reason (yet) to think that he won't be able to play well next season even if it flares up a bit. It would be completely different if he played poorly this season while dealing with the injury. But, I think he was good. His playoff game against the Ravens was simply awesome.

I do believe it is time to start platooning Worilds with Woodley and Harrison. It will help keep all three fresh, and it will improve our pass rush (especially in crunch time).

Oviedo
02-22-2011, 11:07 AM

Back surgeries are never a sure thing. But, speculation at this point is really quite difficult. And, if he played well with the injury last season, there is no reason (yet) to think that he won't be able to play well next season even if it flares up a bit. It would be completely different if he played poorly this season while dealing with the injury. But, I think he was good. His playoff game against the Ravens was simply awesome.

I do believe it is time to start platooning Worilds with Woodley and Harrison. It will help keep all three stay fresh, and it will improve our pass rush (especially in crunch time).

Here's a wild idea---Harrison goes inside and Timmons goes outside!!!

RuthlessBurgher
02-22-2011, 11:13 AM

I do believe it is time to start platooning Worilds with Woodley and Harrison. It will help keep all three stay fresh, and it will improve our pass rush (especially in crunch time).

He's a wilder idea! Harrison is a better OLB! Timmons is a better ILB! Keep 'em where they are!

snarky
02-22-2011, 11:28 AM

He's a wilder idea! Harrison is a better OLB! Timmons is a better ILB! Keep 'em where they are!

Wouldn't it be wilder to swtich them and then switch them back?

Discipline of Steel
02-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Last year, certain individuals on this board advocated the ouster of Harrison as too expensive and over the hill. Did you notice the plummet in his play at the end of 2009? He was surely done. Surprise, surprise, he was spectacular this year and i treasured every defiant moment.

Fast forward 2011 and the same record is playing...almost gleefully... Harrison is through. We have to get the young bucks into the lineup faster. News flash, the young bucks are NOWHERE NEAR AS GOOD. James Harrison gets the big money for a reason, he is alpha male on the field. At least i havent seen his name yet in the 'Which vets do we cut' thread. We will all rue the day...Lord have mercy.

Jooser
02-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Relax fellas, I've been assured by our friends over at conspiracy-central (Baltimore Sun Rats Board) that this "back injury" was just a ploy for Harrison to receive unlimited scripts for steroids (and pain killers) the entire season. Wow, they see through us every time. No wonder they lose to us after consistently out-playing us. :loser 8)

RuthlessBurgher
02-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Relax fellas, I've been assured by our friends over at conspiracy-central (Baltimore Sun Rats Board) that this "back injury" was just a ploy for Harrison to receive unlimited scripts for steroids (and pain killers) the entire season. Wow, they see through us every time. No wonder they lose to us after consistently out-playing us. :loser 8)

You forgot to add this, Joos:

:ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck

papillon
02-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Last year, certain individuals on this board advocated the ouster of Harrison as too expensive and over the hill. Did you notice the plummet in his play at the end of 2009? He was surely done. Surprise, surprise, he was spectacular this year and i treasured every defiant moment.

Fast forward 2011 and the same record is playing...almost gleefully... Harrison is through. We have to get the young bucks into the lineup faster. News flash, the young bucks are NOWHERE NEAR AS GOOD. James Harrison gets the big money for a reason, he is alpha male on the field. At least i havent seen his name yet in the 'Which vets do we cut' thread. We will all rue the day...Lord have mercy.

Rookies come into the game for a handful of plays and make one or two good plays and everyone thinks they're bound for the HOF. Fans have no idea how difficult it is to be good or great on every single snap like James Harrison. To be that good for an entire game and then an entire season is remarkable.

But, as luck would have it, the Steelers have a rookie ready to step in and play at Harrison's level. :P

Fans will realize just how good Harrison has been since becoming a starter when he retires. Here's to a speedy and complete recovery for James. I'm not ready to find out how good or bad Worilds will be.

Pappy