PDA

View Full Version : Whom should we cut in order to save some salary cap money?

hawaiiansteel
02-21-2011, 01:45 AM
Question: Whom should we cut in order to save some salary cap money?

Arnaz Battle: Salary: $1,363,000; competition for position (already have 5 wideouts and Sweed is returning).

Analysis: He is an un-needed commodity and easily replaceable on special teams.

Conclusion: Cut, save 1.4 Million

Larry Foote: Salary: $3,000,000; competition for position (Sylvester and possible draft picks, not to mention Keyaron Fox possibly being retained)

Analysis: Foote is a good backup, but barely saw the field in the last half of the season. James Farrior is getting old, and injuries happen, but for the price, Foote is not better than the younger, cheaper guys still on the roster.

Conclusion: Cut and save 3 Million, draft another replacement and promote Sylvester to main backup.

Antwaan Randle El: Salary $2,300,000; competition for position (Randle El became the 5th wide-out for the Steelers, Sweed is coming back, possible cheaper 5th option as a FA or Draft Pick)

Analysis: Randle El was demoted from 3rd to 5th on the depth chart at wide-out. Sweed is coming back, and he might be a huge bust, but I think healthy he at least can play the 5th position (or a DFA or FA would be able to come in at a much cheaper level. Randle El doesn't have much up-side anymore, and he will be supplanted as the main punt-return man by either Brown or Sanders next year. He still adds thoughness, a veteran presence and sure hands.

Conclusion: Sorry Twaan, you just aren't worth that kind of money anymore. Cut and save 2.3 Million.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... ers-better (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/2/20/2004572/would-cuts-and-fa-signings-make-steelers-better)

Chadman
02-21-2011, 02:20 AM
Honestly?

Cut/Not Retain-

Trai Essex, Chris Hoke (2. something million..), Speath, Battle, Fox, Madison, McFadden & the big one- Aaron Smith.

Smith can't be relied on any more, yet earns more than nearly every other player on the roster- not a good return for the investment.

Would keep ARE, at least for now- in case Sweed doesn't come on, or no decent draft pick is brought in.

That being said...what's the cap going to be?

StarSpangledSteeler
02-21-2011, 02:24 AM
i have no problem with those cuts, but those are the easy ones. The difficult potential cuts will be Aaron Smith, James Farrior, and Flozell Adams. And before you say we "can't" cut any of those, remember, it may come down to cutting one or more of them to be able to re-sign Ike and Woodley this year, while making room for Timmons and Troy next year.

hawaiiansteel
02-21-2011, 02:52 AM
here are the arguments for cutting Flozell and Aaron Smith:

Question: Whom should we cut?

Answer(s):

Flozell Adams: Salary: $5,000,000; competition for position (Draft Pick, Willie Colon, Jonathon Scott)

Analysis: Flozell is not worth the 5 million he is being paid. Willie Colon (if brought back) will likely be the starter, so 5 million for a backup is a lot to pay. Although we saw that we lack depth on the O-line this year, I think it might be wise to either keep Flozell as a transitional player until we draft a replacement, or just cut him lose and sign a bargain to be a back-up.

Conclusion: Cut Flozell and sign Colon for 4.5-5 million over 4 years.

Aaron Smith: Salary: $6,100,000; competition for position (Ziggy Hood, draft pick as backup)

Analysis: This is the toughest guy on this list of possible cuts. Smith is the best 3-4 DE to ever play the game. I would much rather him restructure for a lower salary, but since we aren't playing that game, we are looking at a 6.1 million hit for a guy who has had a hard time staying on the field and is 34. Ziggy was fantastic and finally lived up to that 1stround pick. He should be a starter next year. Brett Keisel made the pro-bowl, is younger and cheaper than Smith. With the age on our line, we need to get younger anyways, so most people think we will be drafting another high pick DL in this years or next years draft. Why should he stay? Well he is still fantastic and a game-changer when he is on the field. But who do we bench next year if not him? Ziggy who is finally living up to his potential and has nothing more to learn from the bench? Or maybe Brett who is younger and had his best overall year (a great year where he made amazing plays for us)?

Conclusion: Cut and save 6.1 Million. I would prefer a restructure, but as much as it pains me, Aaron doesn't have a spot in the starting lineup, and he is a huge injury risk. Cutting him could allow us to sign a true difference maker, or will at least free up room to keep our own guys.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... ers-better (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/2/20/2004572/would-cuts-and-fa-signings-make-steelers-better)

Crash
02-21-2011, 03:01 AM
I would rather pay Adams one season at $5 mil instead of giving Colon a multi-year deal that will probably cost them $8 mil in bonus money alone to sign him.

Starks/Pouncey/Legursky/Pouncey/Adams

I like that OL combo. It would be IMO the best OL combo we've had in the Tomlin era. That's what they should aim for. Send Kemo and his slow feet and his stupid penalties on his way.

You can re-sign Scott, and keep Essex around as the key backups.

Oviedo
02-21-2011, 08:50 AM
i have no problem with those cuts, but those are the easy ones. The difficult potential cuts will be Aaron Smith, James Farrior, and Flozell Adams. And before you say we "can't" cut any of those, remember, it may come down to cutting one or more of them to be able to re-sign Ike and Woodley this year, while making room for Timmons and Troy next year.

I think Adams, Farrior and Smith will be asked to take paycuts. Eventually though we need to off load some veterans we have become attached to as the keys to this generation of players.

Oviedo
02-21-2011, 08:54 AM
I would rather pay Adams one season at $5 mil instead of giving Colon a multi-year deal that will probably cost them $8 mil in bonus money alone to sign him.

I like that OL combo. It would be IMO the best OL combo we've had in the Tomlin era. That's what they should aim for. Send Kemo and his slow feet and his stupid penalties on his way.

I'd rather cut Kemo and resign Colon.

They aren't moving their Pro Bowl Center to Guard. Why in the world would they even consider that when they have been trying to find a solid Center since Hartings retired? They finally got one who can play there for the next 8-10 years. He isn't moving.

Steelers>NFL
02-21-2011, 09:06 AM

I agree with just about everything you say. Except for Polomalu in a couple of years.
I really do not think he will play pass his current contract. I think he will retire. He just seems like that kind of person. Let's enjoy the next 2 season of Troy while we can.

Shawn
02-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Honestly?

Cut/Not Retain-

Trai Essex, Chris Hoke (2. something million..), Speath, Battle, Fox, Madison, McFadden & the big one- Aaron Smith.

Smith can't be relied on any more, yet earns more than nearly every other player on the roster- not a good return for the investment.

Would keep ARE, at least for now- in case Sweed doesn't come on, or no decent draft pick is brought in.

That being said...what's the cap going to be?

I can't completely agree with that list. Hoke is our only NT back up and he is a darn good one. I have heard Fox is falling out of favor with coaches but the dude can play. He can cover, and stop the run...very physical. Must be more than meets the eye there.

I must agree though with Smith, it's time.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Hoke is a great value, very solid backup at NT, and Flozell was our best offensive lineman not named Pouncey. Both stay.

Djfan
02-21-2011, 10:59 AM
One can't help but wonder if the Troy not staying in the NFL long theory is true. It has crossed my mind, too.

As for A Smith, he's gone. It's too obvious. We have hia back up doing well, he is injury prone, older and expensive.

Foote can go, but keep Farrior.

Keep Fox. He is too athletically gifted. He may replace Farrior after next season - the one we won't have.

See ya Spaeth, ARE and Battle. Sepulveda, too. Maybe Lewis as well?

Moore needs to be on the edge, a casualty if the money isn't there, or if we can't get another FWP clone in the mix somewhere.

Keep Adams. The line looked better with him than not. Over the last 5 years that line has been a problem. He helped.

pittpete
02-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Send Kemo and his slow feet and his stupid penalties on his way.

Amen brother

Add the undisciplined Fox also.

Id keep Hoke/Foote/Smith on defense
Hoke is pretty solid

feltdizz
02-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Send Kemo and his slow feet and his stupid penalties on his way.

Amen brother

Add the undisciplined Fox also.

Id keep Hoke/Foote/Smith on defense
Hoke is pretty solid

some people really like Kemo... he is a very good run blocker but his pass protection is atrocious.

Crash
02-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Why in the world would they even consider that when they have been trying to find a solid Center since Hartings retired?

Because I think Pouncey at OG is more bang for your buck.

With this team I think stellar guard play is more important than center play. They made the playoffs with Mahan at center, and won a Super Bowl with Hartwig (on the downside of his career) at center.

You can find centers every season and win with almost anyone there. We've proven it in the Tomlin era.

But IMO if we want to play "Stiller Football" and run the ball? The guard play has to improve dramatically. Kemo's one good block a game doesn't cut it anymore.

Colon isn't moving to guard, his agent feels he's the best ROT in the NFL.

SteelCrazy
02-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Cut Ward. He's a fan favorite, but the if the guy was making the money he is and everyone hated him, you know he'd be gone. What does he really bring besides leadership?

Kemo. almost worthless....ive never seen someone with that much potential, but instead of getting better, he is regressing somewhat.

Casey. He was awesome, but now he is just a little above average. Draft his replacement and let Hoke take over until he is ready. They just signed him to a 3 year deal last year, so it probably wont happen.

A Smith. You guys know why. Old and hurt a lot.

Thats my hard list excluding Kemo.

feltdizz
02-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Cut Ward. He's a fan favorite, but the if the guy was making the money he is and everyone hated him, you know he'd be gone. What does he really bring besides leadership?

Kemo. almost worthless....ive never seen someone with that much potential, but instead of getting better, he is regressing somewhat.

Casey. He was awesome, but now he is just a little above average. Draft his replacement and let Hoke take over until he is ready. They just signed him to a 3 year deal last year, so it probably wont happen.

Ward had some very good games and clutch catches this year. Don't let the young kids fool you... they aren't their yet. If Ben would have thrown to Miller, Ward and El on the last drive I think we would have won the SB...

Wallace showed his youth on that last drive. I think we need Ward another year or 2 before these kids take over.

Oviedo
02-21-2011, 04:50 PM

The Steelers will let Ward get his 1000th catch as a Steeler. He is still one of the better possession receivers in the league and offers more in supporting the running game than any receiver in the league.

I'd keep Casey one more year because we have no replacement. Aaron Smith is the one who should go because this season has proven we don't need him with Ziggy playing as well as he did and he will only get better.

IMO the hard decision would be Farrior. He stepped up this past season but how much longer can he do it?

I think we are all in agreement about Kemo. While his cap hit isn't huge, he is definitely expendable especially if we draft an OL in Round 1 or 2.

pittpete
02-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Casey. He was awesome, but now he is just a little above average. Draft his replacement and let Hoke take over until he is ready. They just signed him to a 3 year deal last year, so it probably wont happen

Thats just crazy talk :?

aggiebones
02-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Much to many of your unhappiness, I bet we retain ALOT more of these guys than you think.
They will ask for some reconstruction and a guy 'may' ask for his release instead, but guys like ASmith may remember Bettis getting a swan song for a small salary. They'll be veteran leaders, teachers and solid backups. Farrior and ASmith fall into this group.
We'll see who we draft.
Kemo, the CBs, Spaeth, etc will be back in a similar role. I expect Kemo to have a comeback year next year.

Adams will be interesting. Can we retain Colon at some reasonable amount?
I think the top 2 picks will alter some of this, but of course we'll never know who those are til draft day.

feltdizz
02-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Much to many of your unhappiness, I bet we retain ALOT more of these guys than you think.
They will ask for some reconstruction and a guy 'may' ask for his release instead, but guys like ASmith may remember Bettis getting a swan song for a small salary. They'll be veteran leaders, teachers and solid backups. Farrior and ASmith fall into this group.
We'll see who we draft.
Kemo, the CBs, Spaeth, etc will be back in a similar role. I expect Kemo to have a comeback year next year.

Adams will be interesting. Can we retain Colon at some reasonable amount?
I think the top 2 picks will alter some of this, but of course we'll never know who those are til draft day.

This right here... however I think A. Smith needs to go. I'm tired of the sob stories about what he meant to the team and how he might be ready in time for the playoffs. :D

He and Batch need to jump on the coaching staff... I mean walk onto the coaching staff. Don't want anyone to pull a hammie.

Djfan
02-21-2011, 08:28 PM
One more - I would sign and trade Dixon. Sound crazy? Maybe, but we won't need him before he gets fed up with not being a starter. He may have some trade value. Due to under-use, Batch and Lefty are going to last for a while, and they both produce enough.

Chadman
02-21-2011, 10:24 PM
The Steelers won't 'release' that many respected veterans in one season. They may work towards it, but they won't jump out & cut all over 35's from this point on.

For Chadman, Aaron Smith is the one most likely on the cusp- simply because Ziggy proved he's ready to play & Smith earns too much as a rotational player. If he restructures- this may change the argument somewhat.

But Casey, Hines & Farrior appear safe- all contributed heavily last year with no obvious replacement available.

1 or 2 of the 'not good enough' CB brigade will likely be gone- just not sure which 1 or 2 we are talking about yet. Chadman's bet- McFadden s more likely. But then, isn't Gay a FA? He might be allowed to walk..

Foote's survival probably has more to do with Sylvester's development than Farrior's decline. If the FO don't the SS is up to filling in in case of injury, then Foote has a role in the team.

A lot will depend on the number of players allowed on a team roster after the CBA talks sort themselves out.

steelblood
02-22-2011, 11:15 AM

I'd rather cut Kemo and resign Colon.

They aren't moving their Pro Bowl Center to Guard. Why in the world would they even consider that when they have been trying to find a solid Center since Hartings retired? They finally got one who can play there for the next 8-10 years. He isn't moving.

I'd cut Kemo today. There can be no cap penalty in future years since there is no CBA. Foster was much better than Kemo. Besides that pull play that Kemo is decent at (though he misses his man plenty), Kemo is a poor NFL guard. I've read some analysts who say that we misuse Kemo in our zone and that he is best at drive blocking. I don't buy this. He is a top heavy play who plays too high to consistently win the leverage battle. And, he is a poor athlete who to often craps the bed in pass pro. Guards are easy to find. Our money must go to FA tackles and corners.

hawaiiansteel
02-24-2011, 03:06 AM
we're not cutting Smitty...

The “Steeler Way”

by CRAIG WOLFLEY on FEBRUARY 23, 2011

If you ever questioned Mike Tomlin’s thoughts concerning the value of Aaron Smith’s contribution to the Steelers and what Aaron’s mere presence, though not able to contribute on the field, but by being there daily means to his teammates, then have a gander at Coach Mike’s words when questioned about keeping a roster spot open for Aaron;

“Absolutely. That’s just a level of respect that we have for what he’s capable of as a player, and probably equally as important what he is as a man or member of this team. I think there is intrinsic value in that, there’s an element of it you can’t measure. If I had to do it over I would do it again.”

Yeah. There’s an intrinsic value in having a great player attempting the nearly impossible, coming back from an injury that is overwhelming. But to see the fight in the man to overcome all odds is something that inspires…and pushes other players to reach for stuff that can’t be measured. That’s the intrinsic stuff Mike is referring to.

Trust me when i say this, Ziggy Hood would not be the player on the upward swing that he is save for the great coaching he gets day in and day out from Steelers defensive line coach John Mitchell, and the presence of Aaron Smith not withstanding his personal coaching on the side. Just the fact of Aaron being there creates great pressure to step up when you fill the shoes of a great player.

In my most humble career, i stepped into the shoes of Steelers guard Sam Davis. During his 14-year, 4 Super Bowl ring career, some called him “Tight man” because he kept everybody together and had leadership capabilities like James Farrior. Some lovingly called him “Riggy,” short for rigor mortis bcause of his double-digit years of service.

Me, i called him “Hero” because of his dedication while he was injured and on the IR to making me a better player though i was obviously being groomed to take over his position. Sam gave of himself to me to the detriment of himself. He spent long hours tutoring me, teaching me how to walk, talk and become all that it means to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. It’s the natural progression of life in the NFL. Natural, that is, if you’re a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Prepping your under-study to take your job so the team moves forward is something that isn’t written on your contract. Nor is spending extra time with that individual to encourage them even during the inevitable down moments that are sure to occur on the way to being a complete player. It’s simply the “Steeler way” of doing things.

The Chief, Art Rooney Sr. set the tone oh so many years ago. An attitude of “Servi-tude” towards your fellow man (including the man that might replace you), was the Steeler way. It is unique to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

And that way has produced six Lombardi’s. Show me someone with a better way.

By the way though, if you think Aaron Smith is done, i’m betting here and now you are wrong.

By a long shot.

http://craigwolfley.com/2011/02/the-steeler-way/

calmkiller
02-24-2011, 08:49 AM
What Salary Cap?