PDA

View Full Version : Harbaugh, "We've outplayed them most of the time"

SteelCrazy
02-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Ravens looking up at 'Gold' standard

Set to play in their 15th AFC championship game – the most by any team since 1970 – and owners of five AFC North titles since the current four-team configuration was finalized for the 2002 season, the Pittsburgh Steelers have literally set the “gold” standard for the rest of the division.

Pittsburgh’s success is based on several factors, including making smart choices in the draft (2010 first-round pick Maurkice Pouncey, 2009 third-rounder Mike Wallace, 2008 first-rounder Rashard Mendenhall and 2007 first- and second-rounders Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley – to name a few – are starters), jettisoning veterans who have outgrown their value because of injury or off-field issues (Santonio Holmes, Nate Washington, Willie Parker), and building upon one of the more relentless defenses in the history of the NFL.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh acknowledged that his team has some ground to cover to keep pace with the Steelers.

“I think it has to do with the way they’re built, and they’ve got some veteran guys that have been doing that for a long time,” Harbaugh said Monday. “We’ve got some of that. If you look at a lot of the games we’ve won, it’s been [free safety] Ed Reed and [inside linebacker] Ray Lewis making those kind of plays. I think we’ll continue to build that on the offensive side. They’ve probably got a little more on both sides of the ball right now. I mean, their defense, they’ve got two outside linebackers and a safety that just come up with plays. And they’ve got a quarterback that creates plays. And I think that’s where we’re going. That’s what we’re trying to build, and we’ll get there.”

But Harbaugh also maintained that his club can and will continue to be competitive with Pittsburgh, winners of three of the last four division championships.

“I’ve got some ideas in terms of how we play them, but I think we play them very well,” he said. “We didn’t statistically play them very well on one side of the ball in this game – we had a bad third quarter – but you can’t turn the ball over. And I think the key with the Steelers is, they do a great job of forcing errors and by taking advantage of those forced errors. And you can’t give them the game. And when we’ve won, we haven’t done that, and when we’ve lost, we’ve basically done that. I can’t say that they’ve outplayed us dramatically in any game, and I think we’ve outplayed them most of the time we’ve played them. Yet we’ve won two out of eight because we’ve allowed them to make the plays that have turned the game. And we’re going to have to find a way to get that solved.”

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ ... .html#more (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/01/ravens_looking_up_at_gold_standard.html#more)

Scarletfire1970
02-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Well that is their thing. They never lose to anybody. They just beat themselves. Nothing new there. Just ask Ray Ray.

tiproast
02-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Typically Ravens - they've won two out of the last eight vs. the Steelers, and they think that makes them equal.

They've won 1 game against the Patriots in their entire existence, and they think that makes them better.

papillon
02-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Hey John, :Blah :Blah :Blah Talk is cheap.

Pappy

Crash
02-20-2011, 12:20 PM
They are just like the Bengals. They can't beat us but they always outplay us. Amazing!

aggiebones
02-20-2011, 05:55 PM
A coach says things to save his own bacon, so be it.
But why is a Pats fan replying here?
I have never gone to a predominantly other team's board before.
Maybe a rival type board, but this is mostly steeler chat here.
Oh well.

hawaiiansteel
02-20-2011, 06:17 PM

yes, tiproast is a Pats* fan but he is a classy poster and has made some very good contributions to our Board during this past season...he is not a troll.

guys like him should always be welcome here... :Cheers

RuthlessBurgher
02-20-2011, 09:31 PM

yes, tiproast is a Pats* fan but he is a classy poster and has made some very good contributions to our Board during this past season...he is not a troll.

:Agree

Guys like tiproast, hardliner, jom, etc. may not have the best taste in football teams, but they are insightful NFL fans who add to this forum community. I'd hang out with any of them if they visited Pittsburgh when we were playing New England, K.C., or Cincy, respectively.

aggiebones
02-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Sorry, I'm not saying he's unwelcome, just wondered why he would want to be here.

Djfan
02-20-2011, 10:29 PM

Guys like tiproast, hardliner, jom, etc. may not have the best taste in football teams, but they are insightful NFL fans who add to this forum community. I'd hang out with any of them if they visited Pittsburgh when we were playing New England, K.C., or Cincy, respectively.

Right after Tiproast got the traditional "I FRIGGIN' HATE your QB and coach" wedgie, I would buy him an Iron City, and all would be cool.

Great posters all of them. Their being here is one of the many things that makes The Planet the best Steelers forum there is.

papillon
02-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Love getting the perspective of the enemy in a way that fits in with the decorum of this board. I'd raise one with Jom, Hardliner and Tip; I'd even buy. :tt2

Pappy

MeetJoeGreene
02-21-2011, 10:17 PM

they sure beat people like mexican, gjerb, and purplereign.

The other poster from another team that i liked was Raven Rick ( I think that was his name).

Captain Lemming
02-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Sorry, I'm not saying he's unwelcome, just wondered why he would want to be here.

He is a FOOTBALL FAN.
Why the surprise when the dude wants to hang with the BEST FANS IN TH LEAGUE!!!

As Steeler fans WE CANT UNDERSTAND it because for us to go elsewhere, THERE IS NOWHERE TO GO BUT DOWN. :wink:

Baseball fans? Basketball? They are without peer.
Not gonna see any Red Sox fans at a Pirates board. :)

A real football fan from Mass? Yeah, I know why he comes here.

anger 82&95
02-22-2011, 11:02 AM

The other poster from another team that i liked was Raven Rick ( I think that was his name).
Kaopectate was an old school billy goat eating troll.

RuthlessBurgher
02-22-2011, 11:05 AM

Kaopectate was an old school billy goat eating troll.

Kaopectate is supposed to treat diarrhea. Apparently does nothing for diarrhea of the mouth, though. :wink: