PDA

View Full Version : Dale Lolley: Early draft thoughts

hawaiiansteel
02-19-2011, 04:06 AM
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2011

Early draft thoughts

I keep seeing nose tackle Phil Taylor of Baylor's name associated with the Steelers in mock drafts.

Given that he was kicked out of school at Penn State for a brawl and other problems, I highly doubt that is going to happen.

Mike Pouncey is being linked to the Steelers for obvious reasons, but because of those same reasons, I doubt he'll be available to them with the 31st pick.

Maurkice Pouncey's performance for the Steelers last season will cause his twin brother's stock to be a little higher than it may have been if his name was, say, Mike Peterson.

Pouncey is good and deserving of first-round consideration, but he's not as talented as his brother.

I think the Steelers' top targets will wind up being cornerbacks Jimmy Smith of Colorado or Aaron Williams of Texas, but that could change depending on who runs well at the combine.

Both of those corners have the size the Steelers look for in their corners and are willing tacklers.

A lot of mocks I've seen have the Steelers taking an offensive tackle. I don't see that happening unless the value is there.

Max Starks will be back in 2011 and I expect the Steelers to re-sign Willie Colon. They also have Flozell Adams under contract as well. I could see them taking a tackle in the middle rounds for depth, but I don't think they felt their line was the problem others seem to think it is.

I think the way Sean Kugler cobbled things together this season showed the Steelers that they have a pretty good offensive line coach who can do a lot of good by coaching the players up.

If anything, I could see a guard/tackle being taken as a fallback if the corners are gone.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

SteelBucks
02-19-2011, 01:59 PM
I'd be thrilled with Jimmy Smith.

steelz09
02-19-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm not as concerned about the tackle position as long as we have Flozell signed. We need some youth. I'm still not sure what I think about Colon as the long term solution at RT.

The big surprise to me was how well Jonathan Scott improved. Now, he may have been getting a lot of help from Heath or someone else but I didn't notice it.

The weak area of our line in the interior. Pouncey was obviously a huge upgrade. If we could get his brother then I feel our line will be solid. I'm still very disappointed in the overall play in Kemo.

StarSpangledSteeler
02-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Over the last several months i've changed my mind a bit about the Steelers OL. The interior OL (meaning both guard positions) is a much bigger problem than the tackles. After seeing what a difference Maurkice made, and remembering what it was like to have Faneca here in his prime, I can see great value in trading up for a potential pro-bowler in Mike Pouncey (if he falls to 1.27-ish). If we don't get Pouncey i don't see any other OG prospect worthy of a first round pick. We already have enough "journeymen" and "back ups". What we need is elite talent.

Although some may say we're fine at tackle, i disagree. Flozell is still trying to decide if he will even try and play next year. Colon may re-sign but all the data says he will likely not perform to pre-injury level. Starks is recovering from a fairly serious injury and was never an elite LT to begin with. The question is value. I don't want a first round RT (there are 3 or 4 very nice ones that can be had in the third round this year). I think Sherrod or Smith or Castonzo are legit left tackle prospects and I take any one of them a 1.31.

Having said all that, i don't believe that Pouncey, Smith, Sherrod, or Castonzo will be there when we pick in the first. Rather than reach, I would take a nice fast/physical CB, or trade back into the second.