PDA

View Full Version : Meet Marcus Cannon

steelerkeylargo
02-18-2011, 09:20 PM
http://thenationalfootballreport.com/20 ... us-cannon/ (http://thenationalfootballreport.com/2011/02/18/2011-nfl-draft-profile-marcus-cannon/)

hawaiiansteel
02-19-2011, 02:38 AM
I would have no problem with the Steelers selecting Cannon, everytime I saw him play he dominated his man.

Oviedo
02-19-2011, 10:05 AM
I like Cannon a lot. I saw a couple TCU games and he was a beast. We'll see how he grades out at the combine.

hawaiiansteel
02-27-2011, 03:26 PM
2011 NFL Draft Combine Stock Report

Marcus Cannon, G, TCU

Marcus Cannon weighed in at 6-5, 358. Based on his size, you'd expect him to be fat, slow and lethargic. On the contrary, Cannon did not appear as though he was anything close to 358. He ran a 5.20 40 and looked very fluid in all the drills. Cannon seems to have cemented his Round 2 status. He may even be selected at the end of Round 1 if a team believes he can play right tackle.

http://www.walterfootball.com/combine2011stock3.php

NJ-STEELER
02-27-2011, 03:42 PM
with a name like that, he should have been a QB

MaxAMillion
02-27-2011, 07:07 PM
He seems like a Guard to me. I think Pouncey is the only guard the Steelers would take in round one. If he is available in round two then I say draft him.

SteelCrazy
02-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Is slow off the snap of the ball. Struggles with quickness off the edge. Pass-pro technique is inconsistent and can be sloppy. Needs to do better job sustaining blocks and finishing more consistently. Lets pass rushers into his body too frequently. Could benefit from an NFL conditioning program. His footwork is too in consistent and sloppy to play OT effectively in the NFL.

No thanks, we have enough of these........

Oviedo
02-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Cannon is having a very good Combine. I could see him moving into the top of Round 2 or even late Round 1.

Every player has weaknesses described. The question is how does the player fit into what you do and can the weaknesses be corrected by a good coach like Kugler.

I think Cannon would be a great fit for us at Guard and if we used 1.31 on him I would not complain because that means that the team has seen what they need to see and feel they can improve him.

steelblood
03-01-2011, 09:46 AM
At his best Cannon can be...

An effective RT with pass pro deficiencies.

or

A very good G who could reach pro bowl potential.

That might be a late first round pick.

steeler_george
03-01-2011, 05:16 PM
I would not be upset if they did some how select him, either by falling to our laps at pick 63, or if we trade back from the 1st round to the 2nd round and then trade back up in the second again. Giving us a total of 2-3 second round picks.

There is going to be a mad run on the DL and T postion in the first round, and a ton of talent is going to slip to the beginning of 2nd round till the middle of the second round. Mark my words.

Would any of you be upest to land a combo of:
Marcus Cannon, G/RT
Rahim Moore, FS
Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
Stefen Wisniewski, C/G, Penn State
Rodney Hudson, G, Florida State
Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia

But then again if there is alot of talent slipping it would seem right to trade up again in the second round, we get our PBA player in the 1st, and a chance of a legit now starter (RG/T/DB) in the second.

hawaiiansteel
03-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Potential Steelers Draft Pick Profiles: Marcus Cannon, Offensive Guard, TCU

by big_jay71 on Mar 1, 2011

I'm so jazzed right now with all of the coverage of the NFL combine that I thought I would squeeze out another player profile before I start working on my next mock draft. As with my previous player profile on Ras-I Dowling, I thought I would keep the focus on players the Steelers might target in the second round. This time my focus is on TCU offensive guard Marcus Cannon.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/554642/Cotton-holding-Watt_medium.jpg

Height: 6'5"
Weight: 358lbs.
40 time: 5.20 sec.
Bench: 33 reps
Arms: 34in

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/555077/MarcusCannon_medium.png

Pros: Marcus Cannon's biggest attribute is his size. Surprisingly for a man who is 358lbs. you would expect him to be grossly out of shape but at the combine he looked fit and carried his weight extremely well. As you could probably guess his size make him a nightmare for opposing defensive linemen in the run game. It takes him very little effort to drive defenders off of the line of scrimmage.

Cons: While Cannon may be athletic for his size that doesn't necessarily mean he's athletic in general. The biggest reason why he's not being considered as an offensive tackle is because he doesn't have the agility on the outside edge to defend against speed-rushers. Another important issue is his lack of initial quickness. He is routinely the last lineman to come off of the snap and will often times be slow to get his hands up, resulting in the defender getting into his body. Those are important things any offensive line coach will need to work on him with if he's going to make it in the NFL.

Draft Stock: Right now Cannon's draft stock couldn't be higher. After an impressive combine performance he managed to quell most questions about his athletic ability and now has cemented himself into the second round. He'll likely be the 2nd highest rated Offensive Guard prospect behind Mike Pouncey to many teams. Some teams may even view him as a Right Tackle prospect which would only bring more suitors into the discussion. While he could sneak into the bottom half of the first round it's most likely that he won't last past the Cowboys at 40. Jerry Jones just loves him some big-bodied Offensive lineman and Cannon could replace Marc Colombo at RT. The Bills could take him at 34, Arizona at 38, the Titans at 39, the Falcons currently have two Pro-Bowl caliber Guards that are free agents, and so many other teams that could use Cannons services.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/555081/Marcus-Cannon-2011_medium.jpg

NFL Player Comparison: Dallas Cowboys OG Leonard Davis
Both players have a very massive frame which makes them excel in run-blocking but lack the athletic ability to defend against edge rushers in space.

Final Word: While Marcus Cannon does not possess the necessary agility to play Offensive Tackle he can fill in if needed, and could perhaps play Right Tackle at some point. However he would be very effective at RG, especially in the run game. While he impressed at the combine it's somewhat disappointing in that there is absolutely no chance he'll be available at pick 63. I would be perfectly fine with the Steelers trading up into the middle of the second round for him as long as the price was right. If it only costs the team a 4th, or hopefully only a 5th, to move into the middle of the second round that would be ideal.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/3/1/2021496/potential-steelers-draft-pick-profiles-marcus-cannon-offensive-guard#storyjump)

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/555085/jersey_medium.jpeg

Oviedo
03-03-2011, 09:51 AM
I would not be upset if they did some how select him, either by falling to our laps at pick 63, or if we trade back from the 1st round to the 2nd round and then trade back up in the second again. Giving us a total of 2-3 second round picks.

There is going to be a mad run on the DL and T postion in the first round, and a ton of talent is going to slip to the beginning of 2nd round till the middle of the second round. Mark my words.

Marcus Cannon, G/RT
Rahim Moore, FS

But then again if there is alot of talent slipping it would seem right to trade up again in the second round, we get our PBA player in the 1st, and a chance of a legit now starter (RG/T/DB) in the second.

No way Cannon falls to us in Round 2. I would consider him at 1.31. That is essentially a Round 2 pick anyway. Same with Wisniewski who I think could be an effective Guard but let Kugler decide that.

I have little interest in Dowling unless he blows prople away with his Pro Day. Seems like he could be a player who can't get on the field because of injuries.

I don't think Hudson fits for us at all. Not interested.

Rudolph would definitely be a BPA pick and if we threw to our TEs more I wouldn't have an issue but we don't utilize TEs enough.

Harris would be a great pick if he fell that far and Williams would be a good pick but may not be the cover CB we really need after watching his position skills at the Combine.

More and more (no pun intended) I get the feeling that Rahim Moore is a serious possibility at 1.31.

steelblood
03-03-2011, 10:06 AM

Marcus Cannon, G/RT
Rahim Moore, FS

No way Cannon falls to us in Round 2. I would consider him at 1.31. That is essentially a Round 2 pick anyway. Same with Wisniewski who I think could be an effective Guard but let Kugler decide that.

I have little interest in Dowling unless he blows prople away with his Pro Day. Seems like he could be a player who can't get on the field because of injuries.

Rudolph would definitely be a BPA pick and if we threw to our TEs more I wouldn't have an issue but we don't utilize TEs enough.

Harris would be a great pick if he fell that far and Williams would be a good pick but may not be the cover CB we really need after watching his position skills at the Combine.

More and more (no pun intended) I get the feeling that Rahim Moore is a serious possibility at 1.31.

You know, I agree with most of this. The one exception is that I think Hudson could work for us if he can keep his weight at about 300 pounds. He is so fundamentally strong and quick. Also, he really anchors well against larger DTs. He sinks his hips very well. He'd be a great LG in our system. Hudson would be awesome at zone blocking and getting out in front of screens.

I'm really done with Kemo. He was our worst o-linemen in the playoffs. I just rewatched the Ravens game and he was continually rag dolled at the goal line (which is inexcusable for a LG of his size and experience).

Oviedo
03-03-2011, 10:10 AM

Marcus Cannon, G/RT
Rahim Moore, FS

You know, I agree with most of this. The one exception is that I think Hudson could work for us if he can keep his weight at about 300 pounds. He is so fundamentally strong and quick. Also, he really anchors well against larger DTs. He sinks his hips very well. He'd be a great LG in our system. Hudson would be awesome at zone blocking and getting out in front of screens.

I'm really done with Kemo. He was our worst o-linemen in the playoffs. I just rewatched the Ravens game and he was continually rag dolled at the goal line (which is inexcusable for a LG of his size and experience).

I'm also done with Kemo. They guy's development has totally stagnated at mediocre.

My problem with Hudson is that even if he got over 300lbs would it be good weight gain and IMO it would be highly unlikely he could maintain that extra weight over a 18 game season. That is why I would prefer Cannon.