PDA

View Full Version : DJ Williams in the 2nd...Now Hear Me Out....

steelblood
02-18-2011, 09:48 AM
I know, I know. There is no way we take a TE in the second round. But, Williams isn't only a TE. He is much more than that. His position flexibility will keep him on the field and open up our offense in ways we can only dream of (with Spaeth and Johnson).

DJ Williams is currently projected to go at the end of the second round. I'll submit that Williams is a player who could see significant playing time in our offense at several positions as a rookie. I will also submit that he could eventually replace Hines as our slot receiver/zone buster.

Williams is a high character kid and very intelligent and grounded, in short, a steeler type. Williams has played in a pro-style offense at Arkansas. DJ was used as a fullback, TE, and slot receiver. He is only 6'2 and 240 lbs., but he blocks very well inline and can handle DEs and OLBs. Williams is also a great move blocker from the FB position or the slot. He has the balance, quickness, and nastiness to bury DBs in the open field, and the low center of gravity to win short yardage battles as a FB. He'd be a better blocker than DJ Johnson or Spaeth instantly. If we are going to stick with Arians, this is the sort of athlete, that we need for the bigger sets that Bruce likes to use.

As a receiver, Williams has everything but great long speed (though he'd be faster than Heath). Williams is very quick for his size. He is strong to beat jams, explosive in his cuts, very competitive for the ball, and elusive and strong once he's caught it. Williams could even replace Hines Ward. DJ can read a zone and find the open spots and make those contested catches. He excels from the slot where he is a huge matchup problem for smallers DBs and LBs who can't match his quickness.

You can argue all you want that this isn't a position of need. But, remember Spaeth dropping TDs in the end zone and DJ Johnson missing that block on Matthews in the Super Bowl. Johnson and Spaeth are average players at best. With Williams on the field, teams will not be able to sell out to stop our running game in our large personnel packages. He can protect the QB, lead the way through the hole, slip by linebackers and DL for a screen, go in motion and split out wide, get into the open field and eliminate tacklers to spring Mendenhall and WRs on screens, or cut back against traffic ear hole linebackers and DEs. He would significantly improve our offense and play in the majority of our offensive and KR packages as a rookie. I think that is pretty good for a 2nd round pick.

Check out the first video on this webpage for a sampling of his receiving and blocking prowess. The second video tells his personal story. The kid acts like a Steeler.

http://www.giantsgab.com/2011/02/17/pro ... -williams/ (http://www.giantsgab.com/2011/02/17/prospect-profiles-dj-williams/)

Oviedo
02-18-2011, 11:28 AM
If looking for that type of player why not get Henry Hynoski a couple rounds later?????

grotonsteel
02-18-2011, 11:46 AM
If looking for that type of player why not get Henry Hynoski a couple rounds later?????

:Agree

Shawn
02-18-2011, 01:25 PM
I would be very cool with this out of the box type of pick. Very creative pick and I believe this guy gets on the field from day 1. He is a first round talent with tweener physical stats. These are the kind of characters you want in your locker room.

The ability to use him as a fullback, TE, and slot gives us much diversity. It resolves our possession WR problem. I am also picturing two back sets that could give O coordinators nightmares. Can you imagine a FB who can not only block but is a threat with the ball?

I see it...and applaud the choice.

hawaiiansteel
02-18-2011, 01:57 PM
a TE in the 2nd round that Bruce Arians won't use properly when we have so many other greater needs?

I think a coconut must have fallen on your head... :D

steelblood
02-18-2011, 02:28 PM

I like Hynoski. But, he is not the same "type" of player as Williams. Hynoski cannot be effective out of the slot in the NFL. Williams can do the sort of things that Dallas Clark and Gates do from the slot. Williams can go into the huddle and the defense will have no idea how he'll line up. We can go jumbo with him or 5 wide. Hynoski, on the other hand, can be effective in line and as a fullback. You can flex him out, but he does not have the foot quickness to be an effective receiving weapon from that position. Williams has elite talent, Hynoski does not.

Shawn
02-18-2011, 02:34 PM

I like Hynoski. But, he is not the same "type" of player as Williams. Hynoski cannot be effective out of the slot in the NFL. Williams can do the sort of things that Dallas Clark and Gates do from the slot. Williams can go into the huddle and the defense will have no idea how he'll line up. We can go jumbo with him or 5 wide. Hynoski, on the other hand, can be effective in line and as a fullback. You can flex him out, but he does not have the foot quickness to be an effective receiving weapon from that position. Williams has elite talent, Hynoski does not.

I don't care what anyone says...it's an inspired pick. I must agree that added dimension of a team not knowing if you a lining up trips, two backs or two tight ends will give DCs nightmares for years. This pick is growing on me more and more.

steelblood
02-18-2011, 02:36 PM
a TE in the 2nd round that Bruce Arians won't use properly when we have so many other greater needs?

I think a coconut must have fallen on your head... :D

No coconuts. Though my wife my disagree.

A lot of folks want to take a RG or a defensive linemen in the second round. Williams may improve our team more than either of those selections (especially if we take a CB in round 1).

I'm not sure why Arians "wouldn't use [him] properly." Arians loves h-back type TEs. This would be the first one he's ever had with real talent. If he had two TEs that he could line up anywhere from FB to traditional TE to slot receiver, he'd have great fun shifting formations and causing matchup problems.

Shawn
02-18-2011, 03:58 PM
I totally get why Arians doesn't like traditional FBs. I'm not saying I completely agree, because I yearn for a guy who can block back there. But, when Johnson comes in that doesn't tip the other team off. He can line up as a third TE or a FB. Can you imagine a guy with serious talent who can also play slot WR doing the same thing? A guy who they have to actually account for? I bet Arians is licking his chops at the thought. And I understand why.

StarSpangledSteeler
02-18-2011, 06:40 PM
I don't argue the value of the pick, or DJ's physical stats, or his versatility as a blocker/receiver. What I do argue is our team's priority. With our current OL, DL, CB situation, I just can't see us not making our first two picks in two of those three positions. Especially when you look at the projected BPA's in each category. If DJ somehow slips into the 3rd (which is entirely possible based on his height) he would be a welcome addition. I agreed with Chadman in his mock when he explained his reasons for wanting a quality TE. The question is how soon? And as of right now, I'd have to say round 3. Last year we get torched by every good passing team we faced. We must draft a starting CB. We can't block well enough for Ben to throw to the weapons he already has, and we can't open adequate holes up the middle for Mendenhall. We must draft a starting OL (preferably OG). Our DL (while stout against the run) gets very little pressure on opposing QB's, especially within the first 4 seconds. We desperately need a NT Hampton replacement who can also provide a pass rush.

On a side note, I'm interested to see DJ's 40 and short shuttle times at the combine. I'm not completely convinced he can get separation as a WR on quick slants, but I doubted Hines for a long time as well. And we all know how that turned out.

williar
02-18-2011, 06:55 PM
I like the idea of adding to our TE position. I like Heath but he's slow as molasses, not very athletic and soon to be 29. Same for Spaeth. I like his height, has decent hands but for some reason they avoid throwing to him like the plague. High caliber TE's like Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Andrew Quarless were drafted in the 2nd, 4th, 5th rounds. It's time to upgrade because I'm not liking the Matt Spaeth-David Johnson project.

Shawn
02-18-2011, 06:55 PM
I don't argue the value of the pick, or DJ's physical stats, or his versatility as a blocker/receiver. What I do argue is our team's priority. With our current OL, DL, CB situation, I just can't see us not making our first two picks in two of those three positions. Especially when you look at the projected BPA's in each category. If DJ somehow slips into the 3rd (which is entirely possible based on his height) he would be a welcome addition. I agreed with Chadman in his mock when he explained his reasons for wanting a quality TE. The question is how soon? And as of right now, I'd have to say round 3. Last year we get torched by every good passing team we faced. We must draft a starting CB. We can't block well enough for Ben to throw to the weapons he already has, and we can't open adequate holes up the middle for Mendenhall. We must draft a starting OL (preferably OG). Our DL (while stout against the run) gets very little pressure on opposing QB's, especially within the first 4 seconds. We desperately need a NT Hampton replacement who can also provide a pass rush.

On a side note, I'm interested to see DJ's 40 and short shuttle times at the combine. I'm not completely convinced he can get separation as a WR on quick slants, but I doubted Hines for a long time as well. And we all know how that turned out.

Ya know, if we go with a DB round one, then DJ I would be very ok with that. After our playoff run and the SB, I'm less convinced OL is a dire need. Keisel and Hood are tough. Casey needs a future replacement but a 340# tough guy can be had in the 4th. ILB is an issue but Sylvester and Fox look to both be talented.

I personally want to surround our franchise QB with as many weapons as possible. A guy like this fits the bill. Speed isn't the only thing that creates seperation. Give me a guy with terrific route running and average speed over a sloppy routed speedster anyday.

RuthlessBurgher
02-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Give me a guy with terrific route running and average speed over a sloppy routed speedster anyday.

A good WR coach can teach the sloppy routed speedster to run better routes.

Even the so-called "speed gurus" like Tom Shaw can't make a slow guy fast though.

Perhaps he can help shave a tenth or two off your 40 time, but that's just learning sprinter's tricks for coming out of the blocks and such, not legit football speed.

steelblood
02-18-2011, 10:00 PM

I hear ya. But a 2nd round guard may not be much of an upgrade over Foster. Williams would definitely be an upgrade over Johnson and Spaeth as well as give us an added dimension on offense. I would like to see us add a pass rushing defensive linemen for our nickel package.

I think DJ's forty will be ok for a TE, but not great. He isn't a long speed guy. His short shuttle should be good for a TE. It will be fun to watch. But, in the end, non of that matters much. He played in the SEC. His game tape speaks volumes.

Shawn
02-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Give me a guy with terrific route running and average speed over a sloppy routed speedster anyday.

A good WR coach can teach the sloppy routed speedster to run better routes.

Even the so-called "speed gurus" like Tom Shaw can't make a slow guy fast though.

Perhaps he can help shave a tenth or two off your 40 time, but that's just learning sprinter's tricks for coming out of the blocks and such, not legit football speed.

Tell that to Teddy Ginn. Once a sloppy route runner, always a sloppy route runner. Who do you know was known for poor route running in college only to become a great route runner in the pros? Ward was never a speedster. Largent made a career from route running. Rice wasn't the fastest kid on the block but was an expert route runner with terrific hands. Route running and hands are the two most important aspects to a WR. Speed is nice...certainly can turn a very good WR into an all pro but it's not the most important aspect to a great WR.

Shawn
02-18-2011, 10:50 PM
I see that Ward was listed as a 4.58 in 1998. DJ is listed as a 4.59.

Chadman
02-20-2011, 01:31 AM
Chadman has no problem with that line of thinking. A good TE is a big upgrade for this team because...

in the Bruce Arians offense...the #2 TE is a...

STARTER.

As yourself this- are YOU happy seeing Speath/Johnson line up as a STARTER for this team?

Didn't think so.

The combine will go a long way to deciding what rankings the TE's get. Not sure on Williams at this point, but the POSITION gets no questioning from Chadman.

As for a TE being used in the slot- not sure why the team doesn't split Heath out every now & then. They don't need a blazing fast TE- they need smart, underneath running, good blocking TE's. Couple that with our deep speed WR's & you suddenly have a dangerous offense.

Shawn
02-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Chadman has no problem with that line of thinking. A good TE is a big upgrade for this team because...

in the Bruce Arians offense...the #2 TE is a...

STARTER.

As yourself this- are YOU happy seeing Speath/Johnson line up as a STARTER for this team?

Didn't think so.

The combine will go a long way to deciding what rankings the TE's get. Not sure on Williams at this point, but the POSITION gets no questioning from Chadman.

As for a TE being used in the slot- not sure why the team doesn't split Heath out every now & then. They don't need a blazing fast TE- they need smart, underneath running, good blocking TE's. Couple that with our deep speed WR's & you suddenly have a dangerous offense.

$$$

steelblood
03-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Apparently, the Steelers met with him at the combine (according to Steelers Depot).

Oviedo
03-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Can he cover a WR and intercept a pass???? If not wait until Round 3.

Our secondary is terrible and I have no desire to watch another season with Anthony Madison trying to cover a WR or any of our other CBs not named Ike chasing after WRs they can't cover.

grotonsteel
03-06-2011, 01:39 PM

Our secondary is terrible and I have no desire to watch another season with Anthony Madison trying to cover a WR or any of our other CBs not named Ike chasing after WRs they can't cover.

D J Williams is not great inline blocker. IF you are going to leave your 2nd TE to block most of the time atleast draft a TE who can block like Luke Stocker. Matt Spaeth hardly gets involved in passing game when he is the 2nd TE.

Again 2nd Rd Backup TE is a liability when Steelers need CB and OLine so badly.

grotonsteel
03-06-2011, 01:41 PM

I don't think D J Williams is a good blocking TE. At 6'2" -245 i am not sure he can replace Matt Spaeth. All i can think of him as an upgrade over David Johnson and i am pretty sure he is not even at David Johnson level in blocking. He is good in catching the ball but do Steelers throw to their 2nd TE so much that it warrants a 2nd Rd pick?

Blockhead
03-06-2011, 03:07 PM
DJ Williams isn't a 2nd rounder. If someone takes him in that round, I certainly hope it isn't the Steelers.

Chadman
03-06-2011, 05:32 PM
He is good in catching the ball but do Steelers throw to their 2nd TE so much that it warrants a 2nd Rd pick?

That's not quite the right question- you should ask this- do the Steelers play 2 TE's often enough to warrant a 2nd round selection?

hawaiiansteel
03-06-2011, 06:34 PM
I don't think D J Williams is a good blocking TE. At 6'2" -245 i am not sure he can replace Matt Spaeth. All i can think of him as an upgrade over David Johnson and i am pretty sure he is not even at David Johnson level in blocking. He is good in catching the ball but do Steelers throw to their 2nd TE so much that it warrants a 2nd Rd pick?

I have no doubt that D J Williams will make some team a nice pass-catching TE, but he simply isn't a Steelers type of TE. if we were going to draft a TE high, Luke Stocker would be more in the mold of what the Steelers look for in their TEs...

steelblood
03-06-2011, 07:54 PM

D J Williams is not great inline blocker. IF you are going to leave your 2nd TE to block most of the time atleast draft a TE who can block like Luke Stocker. Matt Spaeth hardly gets involved in passing game when he is the 2nd TE.

I think many of you are looking for someone to fit into the offense as it is instead of trying to improve this offense by opening it up to new formations and plays. We'd still keep a third TE who would simply be a battering ram type for short yardage, etc. The point is that Williams would essentially be a starter and could be on the field for 75 percent of the snaps as a FB/HB, TE, or slot receiver. He'd be matchup nightmare for the D. He'd make plays. If Arians drafts Williams or Kendricks (who we also interviewed), it won't be to simply replace Spaeth.

hawaiiansteel
03-06-2011, 08:06 PM
I think many of you are looking for someone to fit into the offense as it is instead of trying to improve this offense by opening it up to new formations and plays. We'd still keep a third TE who would simply be a battering ram type for short yardage, etc. The point is that Williams would essentially be a starter and could be on the field for 75 percent of the snaps as a FB/HB, TE, or slot receiver. He'd be matchup nightmare for the D. He'd make plays. If Arians drafts Williams or Kendricks (who we also interviewed), it won't be to simply replace Spaeth.

we also interviewed Luke Stocker.

just curious, since you felt so strongly about D J Williams to start a new thread then how come you don't have him in your own mock?

steelblood
03-07-2011, 08:15 AM

just curious, since you felt so strongly about D J Williams to start a new thread then how come you don't have him in your own mock?

Well, to be honest, Williams isn't necessarily my first choice. My point is simply that he is very viable. He would play immediately and make this offense more dynamic and tougher to defend. I want our 2nd round pick to have an impact. I agree with most that DB/pass defense is our most significant need. But, this is a decent draft for the first 3-4 rounds. We can get very good talent for where we pick. I don't want to reach in the first two rounds under any circumstances. And, I really don't like this cornerback class (outside of Peterson and Prince).

And, my mock is a little old. It needs updating. But, even in that I take a WR in the second.

Oviedo
03-07-2011, 09:04 AM

But the problem that remains is the same one that has seen Spaeth, who is a very good receiving TE, not get any touches. Ben does not look for a TE until the 3rd or 4th read in his progression. He looks to get the ball to a WR unless it is Heath. It is about the only issue I have with Ben.

I have no doubt that Williams would give you more options, but so did Spaeth and he was never used that way. Johnson right now isn't used that way and he is essentially playing the position Williams would.

Williams might have talent but IMO it would be wasted talent with us.

Oviedo
03-07-2011, 09:05 AM

I'd be much more interested in Stocker but then again we get into the issue of Ben not looking for the TE enough.

steelblood
03-07-2011, 10:17 AM

But the problem that remains is the same one that has seen Spaeth, who is a very good receiving TE, not get any touches. Ben does not look for a TE until the 3rd or 4th read in his progression. He looks to get the ball to a WR unless it is Heath. It is about the only issue I have with Ben.

I have no doubt that Williams would give you more options, but so did Spaeth and he was never used that way. Johnson right now isn't used that way and he is essentially playing the position Williams would.

Williams might have talent but IMO it would be wasted talent with us.

I disagree with your contention that Spaeth is a "very good receiving TE" in the NFL. His hands are decent and he gives good effort. But, he doesn't move well at all. He doesn't have speed up the seam or suddness to create separation. He lumbers and gathers himself. It is very easy for most linebackers to cover him in man. I think the Steelers overrated Spaeth when they drafted him. At the time, Arians spoke of his speed which I've never seen (even in college). Williams (or Kendricks) is a different type of player. If drafted I'd think that he'd be used differently as more of a move TE/HB/slot guy. If not, then he certainly would be wasted.

Look, I'm not married to this idea. It is just a sort of out of the box move that could work. He is a STeelers type guy who could contribute on special teams and in various formations and could basically do Johnson's, Spaeth's, or Ward's job in most situations. Obviously, the Steelers like the idea of adding a more athletic TE if they have interviewed Kendricks and Williams. It may be a luxury, but if used correctly, they'd see the field right away and create a competitive advantage.

I just want us to take the best player that can help our team now in the second round.

ikestops85
03-07-2011, 12:11 PM
While Williams might be an interesting pick I'd rather we go with someone who can protect our QB and utilize the weapons we already have. Heath is our #1 TE and we have a bevy of young weapons at the WR position. We had McHugh at the H-Back position a couple of years ago but we hardly utilized him. If I had more faith in our Offensive Coordinator I might be in favor of this but not with BA's track record.

Oviedo
03-07-2011, 12:13 PM
While Williams might be an interesting pick I'd rather we go with someone who can protect our QB and utilize the weapons we already have. Heath is our #1 TE and we have a bevy of young weapons at the WR position. We had McHugh at the H-Back position a couple of years ago but we hardly utilized him. If I had more faith in our Offensive Coordinator I might be in favor of this but not with BA's track record.

I agree. BA will not adjust his vertical attack focus to use someone like Williams effectively. We don't even use Heath effectively.

hawaiiansteel
03-07-2011, 02:21 PM

I completely agree with you, we can fantasize all we want about another pass-catching TE but Bruce Arians is not going to utilize him properly.