PDA

View Full Version : Board poll draft - round 3

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-16-2011, 11:53 AM
I am using the Walter Football mock draft. Based on this draft, here are some of the players available who we would be interested in when we pick at 31.

I will go through this poll for a full draft to see what the final draft looks like. No trades, just picks.

I'll keep each poll up for a few days before moving on, or until one pick becomes obvious.

If the mods would like to sticky this then I can keep the entire draft going on one thread instead of creating multiple threads.

Round one, pick 31.....Brandon Harris, CB, Miami

Round 2, pick 63........Steelers are on the board

steelerkeylargo
02-16-2011, 11:58 AM
The only players listed in this poll they should consider are Harris, Williams and Castonzo.

Moore is not a first round talent.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Ok, I'll go first.

I went with Harris. It is time for this team to restock their corners with premium players. We've tried the low pick route the past few years and landed very little with guys like Burnett (gone), Butler, and Lewis.

We don't know the Ike situation yet and the Steelers don't like to be backed into a corner. A first round corner gives them leverage in case there is ever a CBA negotiation.

Even if one of the two kids is ready to step up, we need to groom a stud. Ike is a physical specimen but on the other side of 30. We need more ammo to battle against the spread offense and replacing BMac at LCB is a great start.

grotonsteel
02-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Brandon Harris will be my pick.

We tried drafting CB in Rd 2, Rd 3, Rd-5, Rd-6, UFA etc etc and nothing has worked.

Butler might turn out a good Nickel CB.

Keenan Lewis might not make the roster if Butler shows some promise. If Lewis can't beat Madision it does not look promising for him.

BMac,William Gay and Madision are our No.2, 3 and 4 CB and it should not be difficult to upgrade them.

Get CBs who are great in man coverage. Modify the scheme. 10 yard cushion ain't working against the elite teams.

birtikidis
02-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Mike Pouncey

steelerkeylargo
02-16-2011, 01:01 PM

We tried drafting CB in Rd 2, Rd 3, Rd-5, Rd-6, UFA etc etc and nothing has worked.

Keenan Lewis might not make the roster if Butler shows some promise. If Lewis can't beat Madision it does not look promising for him.

BMac,William Gay and Madision are our No.2, 3 and 4 CB and it should not be difficult to upgrade them.

Get CBs who are great in man coverage. Modify the scheme. 10 yard cushion ain't working against the elite teams.

Out of the players listed and providing they resign Colon I would take Harris as well. I think Keenan Lewis is better suited to play Safety.

steelblood
02-16-2011, 01:10 PM

Out of the players listed and providing they resign Colon I would take Harris as well. I think Keenan Lewis is better suited to play Safety.

I concur. Harris in a heartbeat.

williar
02-16-2011, 01:52 PM
As much as I am salivating for a CB, I chose Cameron Heywood. I've actually seen this guy play and was impressed. Would love to see him in B&G.

hawaiiansteel
02-16-2011, 02:03 PM
Brandon Harris got absolutely abused by Notre Dame's Michael Floyd in their bowl game...

if I have to take someone off this list I will take CB Aaron Williams.

ANPSTEEL
02-16-2011, 02:29 PM

Completely agree- but then again, so is McFadden.

Dee Dub
02-16-2011, 02:52 PM
....Moore is not a first round talent.

In your opinion. I think he is. And just curious, have you ever been wrong on a player evaluation? Trick question. If you say yes then there is a chance you are wrong on Moore. If you say no…well then I think we all know how that will look.

Dee Dub
02-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Steelers should draft the highest player rated on their board. From this list it would probably be Castonzo. My opinion.

focosteeler
02-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Mike Pouncey
:Agree

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Sorry, should have included the link to the Walter mock.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

For those saying Pouncey, they have him going at 29 to the Bears. They have us taking Harris with Castonzo going next to the Pack.

Flasteel
02-16-2011, 06:53 PM

For those saying Pouncey, they have him going at 29 to the Bears. They have us taking Harris with Castonzo going next to the Pack.

That's exactly why I would look at giving up my 4th rounder to San Fran...provided of course Pouncey is rated high enough by the team. If you want an impact guy and it costs you a friggin' 4th round pick to get him, so what? Given Chicago's need for O-line improvement, Pouncey won't get past them.

If there is a corner we really like who is on the board after the 28th pick, then we stand pat and get the player that falls to us. O-line and CB need to be a priority. As long as they are both addressed in the first 2 rounds, I'll be happy.

If we don't trade up in the first, I would be all about trading whatever it took to move up in the 2nd in order to get our top-rated player at whatever area we didn't address in the first round. We have so much young talent coming up on the roster, that I wouldn't even care if we pulled a Mike Ditka and packaged the rest of the draft for a guy we really liked.

steelerkeylargo
02-16-2011, 08:47 PM

In your opinion. I think he is. And just curious, have you ever been wrong on a player evaluation? Trick question. If you say yes then there is a chance you are wrong on Moore. If you say no…well then I think we all know how that will look.

I have (Duke Robinson comes to mind)...but very rarely. I would be hard pressed to find a thread where you own up to being wrong on a player too. I will make you a Gentlemens bet Moore will not be drafted before pick 40. He will be a starting FS for someone someday, but no time soon.

Dee Dub
02-16-2011, 09:12 PM

I have (Duke Robinson comes to mind)...but very rarely. I would be hard pressed to find a thread where you own up to being wrong on a player too. I will make you a Gentlemens bet Moore will not be drafted before pick 40. He will be a starting FS for someone someday, but no time soon.

The issue isn’t about how many times one misses on a prospect. It is the fact that even the best scouts in the world miss often. Every year there is proof of this. You can say all you want, even the best in the business are probably wrong at least 35-40% of the time.

I am man. I have never ever had a problem admitting when I was wrong. It is well documented on this forum as well as the old Trib.

Peace

Dee Dub
02-16-2011, 09:16 PM

Oh and the best scouts in the business had Roy Williams (8th overall), ahead of Ed Reed (24th overall), in 2002. That as we know wasn’t the case. :wink:

Dee Dub
02-16-2011, 09:18 PM

Question for you..after the 2009 season many professional scouts had Rahim Moore as a possible top 15 pick how in your mind is he now longer even a legit end of round pick?

And can you tell us why you dont think he is a first round pick? What do you see as the reasons why? I would like your scouting report on him. Thanks.

steelerkeylargo
02-16-2011, 09:41 PM
[quote=steelerkeylargo]....Moore is not a first round talent.

Question for you..after the 2009 season many professional scouts had Rahim Moore as a possible top 15 pick how in your mind is he now longer even a legit end of round pick?

And can you tell us why you dont think he is a first round pick? What do you see as the reasons why? I would like your scouting report on him. Thanks.[/quote:2304a349]

For the same reason guys like Jake Locker and Allen Bailey fall out of favor....flaws are brought to light. I was gonna post this tomorrow but ask and ye shall receive.

http://thenationalfootballreport.com/20 ... him-moore/ (http://thenationalfootballreport.com/2011/02/15/2011-nfl-draft-profile-rahim-moore/)

papillon
02-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Here's a write up on Dee Dub's guy Ras-I Dowling. He sounds like a Steeler corner to me.
I highlighted what look like good skills to have if you're a corner for the Steelers. He's getting a second round grade, man, I'd love our draft to shake out: Pouncey then Dowling.

Read & React: Experienced corner who has seen all the tricks. Rarely out of position, even against double-moves, due to his instincts and vision. Keeps an eye on the quarterback and breaks on the ball quickly. Height and long arms make it very difficult to beat him over the top.

Man Coverage: Has the long arms and good upper-body strength for an effective jam at the line of scrimmage. Is often able to disrupt route timing. Good balance and opens up his hips smoothly. Can lose a step in transition but has surprisingly good acceleration and at least fair straight-line speed. Rides the receiver downfield, keeping good contact throughout the route. Faster on the field than he'll be on the stopwatch.

Zone Coverage: Savvy zone coverage defender. High in his backpedal, but is surprisingly fluid. Keeps his eyes on the quarterback, but has a good sense of where his receiver is. Will bait the passer into making the throw. Reacts quickly because of his vision and acceleration.

Closing/Recovery: Lacks elite recovery speed, making him susceptible to double-moves by NFL route-runners. Shows good instincts, however, and his rare height and arm length make throwing over the top of him dangerous. Locates the football quickly and is an explosive leaper with good timing and good ball skills.

Run Support: Reads run quickly and fights through receiver blocks efficiently through lateral agility and good upper-body strength. Willing to take on bigger ballcarriers with no hesitation. Uses the sideline to help defend the run. Understands his role in keeping contain and pushes the action back inside when he can't make the play. Willing to take on blocks to free up teammates for the easy stop.

Tackling: Good balance and lateral agility to handle tackling smaller, quicker players in the open field. Breaks down well and makes strong, secure tackles. Likes to intimidate his opponent with big hits. Will hit-lift-drive the ballcarrier into the ground when he can, resulting in impressive stops. Good pursuit and takes good angles to the ball, masking a lack of elite straight-line speed.

Intangibles: Played a postgrad season for coach Robert Prunty at Hargrave Military Academy following his senior year at Deep Creek High School. Had appeared in 35 of a possible 37 games for the Cavaliers prior to his senior season. Only started twice in five games played in 2010 due to injuries. Fractured his left ankle Nov. 13 against Maryland. Well respected teammate. Hard worker. Team captain in 2010. Nominee for the 2010 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
02-16-2011, 10:56 PM
I will make a Gentlemens bet Moore will not be drafted before pick 40. He will be a starting FS for someone someday, but no time soon.

and do we still have our Gentleman's bet that Danny Watkins does not last until the 3rd round like you have him in your mock? I don't believe he will go in the first round by any means, but no way he makes it to the third round...

Rang's big board: Top 32 plus 10

By Rob Rang
The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
Feb. 8, 2011

Rob Rang's Big Board for the April 28-30 NFL Draft:

1. Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU* (* -- junior)
Shutdown corner with the ability to impact the game as a returner; will be "safest" pick in the draft.

2. Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson*
Hard to believe, but even though he led the nation with 15.5 sacks he's more impressive against run than pass.

3. Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn*
The most talented player in the draft, but I'm less willing to gamble on his greatness with such a strong class of defensive linemen.

4. Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
Answered only questions about his game at the Senior Bowl, proving his height was legitimate -- at 6-foot-2 5/8 -- and proving fluidity in coverage.

5. Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina*
A more explosive pass rusher than Bowers; viewed by some as a better fit as a 3-4 rush linebacker.

6. A.J. Green, WR, Georgia*
Has to prove speed to move into my top five, but has a similar combination of hands and body control to project as a Larry Fitzgerald or Sidney Rice type of receiver. Could dominate with solid QB play.

7. Marcell Dareus, DT/DE, Alabama*
Strong, stout and quick, Dareus can play inside and out in either scheme.

8. Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
Rare to see two corners with a top-10 grades, but Amukamara has the size, physicality to compete right away.

9. Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri*
By returning to Missouri, Smith could've been the elite defensive prospect in 2012 draft. He's raw, but has spectacular upside.

10. Julio Jones, WR, Alabama*
Rare size, strength and physicality for position will make him an early standout. There is some Anquan Boldin-like toughness here.

11. Cameron Jordan, DE, California
Showed everyone at Senior Bowl what I've been saying for months -- he's arguably the most versatile defensive lineman in a class blessed with such prospects.

12. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama*
Tough to assign this lofty grade for a back in a draft as backloaded at the position as this one, but Ingram's rare combination of vision, balance, burst and low center of gravity remind me of only one back -- Emmitt Smith.

13. Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri*
With size, arm strength, good accuracy and a quick release, he has all of the tools, but wasn't consistent enough to land a top-10 grade.

14. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
Solder's weak base and moderate strength are concerns, but his rare size and flexibility make him an ideal left tackle prospect.

15. Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
Stats say he struggled this season, but a closer look shows he did all of the little things well. I'd have no problem drafting him with a top 15 pick, especially if running a 4-3 alignment.

http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/football/nfl/2002/draft/img14663607.jpg

Mike Pouncey could make a big impact like brother Maurkice. (US Presswire)

16. Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida
Size, strength and the athleticism to block at the second level, Pouncey's ability to stand out against SEC competition makes him an easy first-round pick.

17. Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
Not as athletic as Solder, but another true left tackle who played with greater strength at the Senior Bowl than I'd previously seen on tape.

18. Cam Newton, QB, Auburn*
The wild card of the first round: If he impresses with his footwork, accuracy and interviews, he could move up 10 spots. If he fails in those areas, he could slide 10 or more spots.

19. Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois*
Penetrating three-technique defensive tackle who quietly rates behind only Fairley and Dareus on many draft boards.

20. Tyron Smith, OT, Southern Cal*
In terms of pure talent, Smith is this year's best tackle -- but his experience lies on the right side and his future is at left tackle. Scouts have questioned his maturity. I'll wait for a deserving top 20 to come off the board before taking a gamble on his high ceiling.

21. Danny Watkins, OL, Baylor
It might seem difficult to assign a 26-year-old guard a first-round grade, but with only four years of football, Watkins isn't beaten up and was very impressive at the Senior Bowl.

22. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami (Fla.)*
Struggled against big receivers, including Notre Dame's Michael Floyd in the Sun Bowl, but boasts quicker feet in coverage than Peterson or Amukamara.[/color]

23. Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
A road grader with enough size and reach for pass protection, Carimi would be best moving to right tackle.

24. Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
Legitimate top-15 talent, but off-field concerns and the fact that he didn't compete at the Senior Bowl drop him down my board.

25. Muhammad Wilkerson, DL, Temple*
The best defensive lineman no one seems to be talking about ... yet.

26. Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA*
Another elite athlete, but his moderate instincts and tendency to overrun the play make him a gamble.

27. Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
I'm admittedly higher on Sherrod than most but see him as an ideal swing tackle capable of stepping in immediately; well worth first-round pick.

28. Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
Lots to like about Kerrigan's hustle and production. His thinner lower body and marginal hand play are concerns.

29. J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin*
The ideal defensive end for the 3-4 but might not have a fit in the 4-3, limiting his grade.

30. Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
A top-20 talent athletically, but will have to answer questions about his suspension and transfer from Penn State to get drafted there.

31. TE Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame*
Not an explosive player, but has size, soft hands and is clearly the elite option at the position, which should push him into the first round.

32. WR Torrey Smith, Maryland*
Currently leads Kentucky's Randall Cobb in the tight race to be third WR due to greater height and straight-line speed.

Next 10

RB Mikel LeShoure, Illinois*
WR Randall Cobb, Kentucky*
DE Cameron Heyward, Ohio State (injury)
DT Stephen Paea, Oregon State (injury)
QB Jake Locker, Washington
C/OG Rodney Hudson, Florida State
CB Aaron Wiliams, Texas*
QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas*
WR Jerrel Jernigan, Troy
FS Rahim Moore, UCLA*

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/stor ... 32-plus-10 (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/14663480/rangs-big-board-top-32-plus-10)

steelerkeylargo
02-16-2011, 11:27 PM
I will meet you half way and say he will be closer to the 3rd round than the first round.

hawaiiansteel
02-17-2011, 12:48 AM
I will meet you half way and say he will be closer to the 3rd round than the first round.

my bet is and always has been that Watkins does not see Round 3, that's where you had him in your mock.

if you would like to accept defeat now on this wager then I can just PM you my address and you can send the Cuban cigars there... :Cheers

Dee Dub
02-17-2011, 01:01 PM
[quote=steelerkeylargo]....Moore is not a first round talent.

And can you tell us why you dont think he is a first round pick? What do you see as the reasons why? I would like your scouting report on him. Thanks.

For the same reason guys like Jake Locker and Allen Bailey fall out of favor....flaws are brought to light. I was gonna post this tomorrow but ask and ye shall receive.

http://thenationalfootballreport.com/20 ... him-moore/ (http://thenationalfootballreport.com/2011/02/15/2011-nfl-draft-profile-rahim-moore/)[/quote:fo24kmcb]

So you can’t specifically break down and give us your scouting report on Moore? And tell us why you think he isn’t a first round pick?

This website you have given details Moore’s weakness as…

Weaknesses-Does not show the willingness to be a solid tackler in run support. Seems to shy away from contact at times vs. the run. Shows the ability to square up the ball carrier but lets the contact come to him as opposed to driving through the tackle. Shows inconsistency in his game that seems to be tied to the scoreboard and how well the team is playing overall. Needs to put on some muscle and size.

Moore is a free safety. His tackling ability is and shouldn’t be that much of a concern. He is going to be called upon to cover. And as a free safety he is one of the better ones at this in the past few years.

RuthlessBurgher
02-17-2011, 01:13 PM
[quote=steelerkeylargo][quote="Dee Dub":3m6j3t5y]In your opinion. I think he is. And just curious, have you ever been wrong on a player evaluation? Trick question. If you say yes then there is a chance you are wrong on Moore. If you say no…well then I think we all know how that will look.

http://thenationalfootballreport.com/20 ... him-moore/ (http://thenationalfootballreport.com/2011/02/15/2011-nfl-draft-profile-rahim-moore/)[/quote:3m6j3t5y]

So you can’t specifically break down and give us your scouting report on Moore? And tell us why you think he isn’t a first round pick?

This website you have given details Moore’s weakness as…

Weaknesses-Does not show the willingness to be a solid tackler in run support. Seems to shy away from contact at times vs. the run. Shows the ability to square up the ball carrier but lets the contact come to him as opposed to driving through the tackle. Shows inconsistency in his game that seems to be tied to the scoreboard and how well the team is playing overall. Needs to put on some muscle and size.

Moore is a free safety. His tackling ability is and shouldn’t be that much of a concern. He is going to be called upon to cover. And as a free safety he is one of the better ones at this in the past few years.[/quote:3m6j3t5y]

Dub,

SKL writes for the National Football Report. He is the Kevin C. that wrote up that scouting report on Moore.

RuthlessBurgher
02-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Why isn't Marcus Cannon listed as a possibility for us in your second round poll (since he is the guy that Walter is actually projecting to us there)?

Dee Dub
02-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Dub,

SKL writes for the National Football Report. He is the Kevin C. that wrote up that scouting report on Moore.

Fantastic. Then if he is basing his negatives on Moore as a poor tackler when he is a free safety then I would have to say his report isn’t a very good one.

P.S. look up the negatives on Ed Reed coming out of Miami.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-17-2011, 01:33 PM

Well if Pouncey is on the board when the Falcons are on the clock at #27....They better be calling them. Offer them our 1st, 3rd, & 5th for their 1st & 4th. If they don't like that, then offer them our 1st & 3rd for their 1st & 5th. If they didn't like that, then just our 1st & 3rd for their 1st. AT least we solve our RG for the next 10 years.

1st - To play along and using Walterfootball's draft with no trade back scenarios....I would go with Harris also.

2nd - To stay with the same Walterfootball's draft...I would select Marcus Cannon too.

steelerkeylargo
02-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Dub,

Fantastic. Then if he is basing his negatives on Moore as a poor tackler when he is a free safety then I would have to say his report isn’t a very good one.

Dee you are entitled to your opinion. I am just giving mine based on breaking down multiple games. Keep in mind I am not saying he can't play. I compare him to Thomas DeCoud of the Falcons who is a solid FS. I am simply saying he is not first round talent. Also if you are comparing Moore to Ed Reed I will have to question your evaluation skills. The following is also a report on Moore from a former NFL Scout whose opinion I respect.

Strengths: Has excellent overall athletic ability, play speed, and range for the position at the NFL level. Has loose hips, good bend, and quick feet in coverage. Has outstanding overall coverage instincts, awareness, and anticipation skills. Has excellent closing ability on plays in front of him as a zone defender. Has the speed and transition skills to be an effective man-to-man coverage player against a running back, tight end, or slot receiver. Takes above average pursuit angles in run support. He has great timing as blitzer.

Weaknesses: Is a bit undersized and lacks much growth potential to develop for the position at the NFL level. Lacks elite long speed, acceleration, and recovery speed downfield in man-to-man coverage. Is a inconsistent tackler on the move in space. Can be in great man-to-man coverage position against a big wide receiver or tight end, but not have a chance to make a play on the ball because of his lack of size. Does not have return value for special teams.

Bottom line: Moore is a true junior and three-year starter at free safety in 2010. He led the nation with 10 interceptions in 2009. Overall, he merits high third-round draft consideration by a team looking for a potential first-year starter at free safety as a rookie. He is at least a strong third deep safety and core member of special teams.

hawaiiansteel
02-17-2011, 02:28 PM
if we are taking CB Brandon Harris in Round 1 then I want OG/OT Marcus Cannon in Round 2.

steelerkeylargo
02-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Out of that group I would take Watkins.

RuthlessBurgher
02-17-2011, 02:45 PM
if we are taking CB Brandon Harris in Round 1 then I want OG/OT Marcus Cannon in Round 2.

:Agree That's why I was wondering why Cannon was not an option in our poll.

Dee Dub
02-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Dee you are entitled to your opinion. I am just giving mine based on breaking down multiple games. Keep in mind I am not saying he can't play. I compare him to Thomas DeCoud of the Falcons who is a solid FS. I am simply saying he is not first round talent. Also if you are comparing Moore to Ed Reed I will have to question your evaluation skills. The following is also a report on Moore from a former NFL Scout whose opinion I respect.

Strengths: Has excellent overall athletic ability, play speed, and range for the position at the NFL level. Has loose hips, good bend, and quick feet in coverage. Has outstanding overall coverage instincts, awareness, and anticipation skills. Has excellent closing ability on plays in front of him as a zone defender. Has the speed and transition skills to be an effective man-to-man coverage player against a running back, tight end, or slot receiver. Takes above average pursuit angles in run support. He has great timing as blitzer.

Weaknesses: Is a bit undersized and lacks much growth potential to develop for the position at the NFL level. Lacks elite long speed, acceleration, and recovery speed downfield in man-to-man coverage. Is a inconsistent tackler on the move in space. Can be in great man-to-man coverage position against a big wide receiver or tight end, but not have a chance to make a play on the ball because of his lack of size. Does not have return value for special teams.

Bottom line: Moore is a true junior and three-year starter at free safety in 2010. He led the nation with 10 interceptions in 2009. Overall, he merits high third-round draft consideration by a team looking for a potential first-year starter at free safety as a rookie. He is at least a strong third deep safety and core member of special teams.

I am not comparing Moore to Reed in any way what so ever. I am just pointing out that the best scouts in the entire world ( those that work for NFL teams), had negatives on Reed coming out and actually most had Roy Williams rated ahead of him.

And if someone is going to knock Rahim Moore down because of his less than average tackling ability I say that many had the same issues with Ed Reed. And to do that on a free safety that is sort of redundant. They make their money for the most part covering not tackling.

steelerkeylargo
02-17-2011, 03:05 PM

I am not comparing Moore to Reed in any way what so ever. I am just pointing out that the best scouts in the entire world ( those that work for NFL teams), had negatives on Reed coming out and actually most had Roy Williams rated ahead of him.

And if someone is going to knock Rahim Moore down because of his less than average tackling ability I say that many had the same issues with Ed Reed. And to do that on a free safety that is sort of redundant. They make their money for the most part covering not tackling.

Like I said Moore will fit just fin in a Tampa 2 defense. I am sure Tomlin would love to have him if he still ran that type of D. Moore will be a starting FS. Just not one worthy of a first round pick and certainly not for the Steelers.

Dee Dub
02-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Like I said Moore will fit just fin in a Tampa 2 defense. I am sure Tomlin would love to have him if he still ran that type of D. Moore will be a starting FS. Just not one worthy of a first round pick and certainly not for the Steelers.

Wait a minute...are you saying he can't play in a zone blitz? And are you saying his skill set isnt better than Ryan Clarks? He is not a better cover Safety than Clark?

steelerkeylargo
02-17-2011, 03:45 PM

Wait a minute...are you saying he can't play in a zone blitz? And are you saying his skill set isnt better than Ryan Clarks? He is not a better cover Safety than Clark?

I am saying that Dick LeBeau defenses are predicated on position versatility and components being able to be interchanged seemlessly. Rahim Moore will not be a physical enough player to come down and play in the box. P.S. THE ARGUMENT IS NOT WHETHER HE IS BETTER THAN RYAN CLARK OR NOT. MY POSITION IS THAT HE IS NOT A FRIST ROUND PLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dee Dub
02-17-2011, 04:29 PM

I am saying that bad word LeBeau defenses are predicated on position versatility and components being able to be interchanged seemlessly. Rahim Moore will not be a physical enough player to come down and play in the box. P.S. THE ARGUMENT IS NOT WHETHER HE IS BETTER THAN RYAN CLARK OR NOT. MY POSITION IS THAT HE IS NOT A FRIST ROUND PLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok not taking a shot at you but I guess we watch two different teams. Ryan Clark is very rarely asked to play at or near the box. That is what he uses his Strong Safety for—Troy Polamalu. The hole the Steelers have at safety is that they are now forced to keep Troy back in a deep cover 2 shell. If they had another safety who could cover, Lebeau could use Troy again more aggressively at or near the box and line of scrimmage. As a result the Steelers are very vulnerable now in that middle seam area. See Super Bowl.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-18-2011, 12:39 AM
Sorry guys. For some reason the poll option is not allowing me to list the picks that I want, and instead puts in duplicates and omits some of the choices that I have tried putting in. I don't get it as I can preview it correctly, but then when I submit it the picks come out looking like these. So, unless someone can fix it I guess that there will not be a poll.

RuthlessBurgher
02-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Sorry guys. For some reason the poll option is not allowing me to list the picks that I want, and instead puts in duplicates and omits some of the choices that I have tried putting in. I don't get it as I can preview it correctly, but then when I submit it the picks come out looking like these. So, unless someone can fix it I guess that there will not be a poll.

I think I fixed it. Everyone has to vote again, though, since the original poll had to be deleted.

Oviedo
02-18-2011, 11:49 AM

I agree. I really like Cannon.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-18-2011, 03:48 PM

I think I fixed it. Everyone has to vote again, though, since the original poll had to be deleted.

Thanks Ruthless. I went with the Walter pick once again and took Cannon.

Shawn
02-18-2011, 04:00 PM
None of the above.

If Dowling isn't there I want Muhammad Wilkerson.

steelerkeylargo
02-18-2011, 04:18 PM
None of the above.

Wilkerson is a beast. Watch for him to really wow at the combine.

RuthlessBurgher
02-18-2011, 04:24 PM
None of the above.

The Walterfootball draft that we are using as a basis for this poll has Wilkerson going 30th overall to the Jets, so he would not have even been a possibility for our 1st round pick, never mind our 2nd rounder.

Shawn
02-18-2011, 04:58 PM
None of the above.

The Walterfootball draft that we are using as a basis for this poll has Wilkerson going 30th overall to the Jets, so he would not have even been a possibility for our 1st round pick, never mind our 2nd rounder.

That's interesting because most of the sites I have read say he needs to have a strong combine to creep into the second.

Shawn
02-18-2011, 04:59 PM
None of the above.

Wilkerson is a beast. Watch for him to really wow at the combine.

I suspect he will fly up the draft boards. The guy is just too good to keep a wraps on even if he is from Temple.

RuthlessBurgher
02-18-2011, 05:37 PM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":13avc1ka]Sorry guys. For some reason the poll option is not allowing me to list the picks that I want, and instead puts in duplicates and omits some of the choices that I have tried putting in. I don't get it as I can preview it correctly, but then when I submit it the picks come out looking like these. So, unless someone can fix it I guess that there will not be a poll.

Thanks Ruthless. I went with the Walter pick once again and took Cannon.[/quote:13avc1ka]

No problem. Me too. Gave Jerrell Powe some thought, though. Decided to wait for Ellis from Hampton later instead.

Dee Dub
02-18-2011, 08:34 PM
After taking CB Brandon Harris @ 1.31, who do you want @2.63?
OG Marcus Cannon TCU
OG Danny Watkins Baylor
TE Luke Stocker Tennessee
NT Jerrell Powe Ole Miss
NT Sione Fua NT Stanford
OT Marcus Gilbert Florida

First of all...I dont want Brandon Harris at 31...and second of all I dont want any of those players in round 2.

1-Rahim Moore
2-Ras-I Dowling

Now that's what I want.

RuthlessBurgher
02-18-2011, 08:50 PM
OG Marcus Cannon TCU
OG Danny Watkins Baylor
NT Jerrell Powe Ole Miss
NT Sione Fua NT Stanford

First of all...I dont want Brandon Harris at 31...and second of all I dont want any of those players in round 2.

1-Rahim Moore
2-Ras-I Dowling

Now that's what I want.

And I want Mike Pouncey in the first and Ras-I Dowling in the second.

But we are going by the latest mock draft from Walter Cherepinsky as a guide at this time to consider who we would pick if the board happens to fall how he currently projects. Unfortunately for me, the Chicago #&@%ing Bears end up with both of the guys I wanted :evil: (Pouncey 2 picks ahead of us in round 1 and Dowling 1 pick ahead of us in round 2). According to the mock we are using here, you could have Rahim Moore in round 1, but Dowling is off the board when our turn comes in round 2. You'll have to pick someone else if you want to play.

hawaiiansteel
02-19-2011, 02:03 AM
it pretty much looks like we've got CB Brandon Harris in the first and OG/OT Marcus Cannon in the second...

my six suggestions for Round 3 are:

1) James Carpenter OT Alabama
2) Ian Williams NT Notre Dame
3) D J Williams TE Arkansas
4) Lawrence Guy DT Arizona St
5) DeAndre McDaniel S Clemson
6) Casey Matthews ILB Oregon

RuthlessBurgher
02-19-2011, 06:00 PM
it pretty much looks like we've got CB Brandon Harris in the first and OG/OT Marcus Cannon in the second...

Ask and ye shall receive...

RuthlessBurgher
02-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Struggled to choose between McDaniel and Guy here. I like both of them. Decided that McDaniel (a top 5 safety in this draft) was better value than Guy (who may not even be a top 10 3-4 DE)...then again, it is a very deep draft for d-linemen this year. With Troy's ongoing injury concerns, getting a talent like McDaniel as a potential fill-in is an improvement (while we should have Hood, Keisel, and Smith to rotate in at DE next year...and possibly Eason too if we re-sign him). I'd like to get younger on the d-line, but I think there is more of a pressing need to add talent to our secondary now. Adding Brandon Harris at corner and DeAndre McDaniel at safety does that.

steelerkeylargo
02-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Carpenter will be gone and other than McDaniel and Ian Williams the rest are reaches or in DJ Williams case players we dont need.

hawaiiansteel
02-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Carpenter will be gone and other than McDaniel and Ian Williams the rest are reaches or in DJ Williams case players we dont need.

James Carpenter is still available for the purposes of this draft and that's my selection as I believe he's the BPA and provides us with the best value and some much needed youth and insurance at OT.

Chadman
02-20-2011, 01:14 AM
Dub,

Interesting that Moore's performance dipped the year after A.Verner turned pro....was Verner disguising some deficincies?

Chadman
02-20-2011, 01:16 AM
OG Marcus Cannon TCU
OG Danny Watkins Baylor
NT Jerrell Powe Ole Miss
NT Sione Fua NT Stanford

1-Rahim Moore
2-Ras-I Dowling

Now that's what I want.

But DD- this isn't just about what you want- it's a poll...others get to have their say too...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Everything about McDaniel screams Steelers except for the assault arrest. Some believe that the Steelers do put a premium on such issues, others don't - but I don't see them taking a player in the third with such concerns.

I went with Carpenter. A solid LT in the SEC, many expect him to move inside in the pros, but that just means "position flexibility" to Coach Tomlin.

hawaiiansteel
02-21-2011, 12:46 AM
I went with Carpenter. A solid LT in the SEC, many expect him to move inside in the pros, but that just means "position flexibility" to Coach Tomlin.

me too, I'm actually in the camp who thinks Carpenter has the ability to play LT in the pros.

grotonsteel
02-21-2011, 01:33 PM
I am a DeAndre McDaniel fan...

If Steelers could get Harris in Rd 1 and McDaniel in Rd 3 Steelers DB should be much more better than 2010 season.

grotonsteel
02-21-2011, 01:36 PM

HS your mock draft is pretty good. If they can snatch Jimmy Smith in Rd1 it would be awesome. I believe Jimmy Smith will shoot the board once he runs a 4.35-4.40 40 yard dash at the combine.

grotonsteel
02-21-2011, 01:42 PM
1-Rahim Moore
2-Ras-I Dowling

Now that's what I want.

Do you believe Ras-I-Dowling will be a CB in NFL?? I think he will transition to a Safety in NFL.

hawaiiansteel
02-21-2011, 02:31 PM
HS your mock draft is pretty good. If they can snatch Jimmy Smith in Rd1 it would be awesome. I believe Jimmy Smith will shoot the board once he runs a 4.35-4.40 40 yard dash at the combine.

thanks... :Cheers

I'm afraid you may be right though, if Jimmy Smith runs a sub 4.4 at his size he may zoom up to the middle or even top half of Round 1.

Dee Dub
02-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Interesting that Moore's performance dipped the year after A.Verner turned pro....was Verner disguising some deficincies?

No not at all. Teams made sure they knew where Moore was at all times. You can’t have 10 picks in one season (actually 11 one was called back for penalty), and teams not game plan towards knowing where you are on the field. And plus as a whole UCLA was horrible this past season.

Dee Dub
02-21-2011, 04:02 PM
1-Rahim Moore
2-Ras-I Dowling

Now that's what I want.

Do you believe Ras-I-Dowling will be a CB in NFL?? I think he will transition to a Safety in NFL.

Yes I do. Especially if he find his way into a 3-4 zone blitz.

Chadman
02-21-2011, 10:32 PM

No not at all. Teams made sure they knew where Moore was at all times. You can’t have 10 picks in one season (actually 11 one was called back for penalty), and teams not game plan towards knowing where you are on the field. And plus as a whole UCLA was horrible this past season.

Surely at some point during the 2009 season teams thought it was best to throw away from Moore? All that says is that teams felt more comfortable throwing in Moore's direction than Verner's, right? So with Verner gone, teams then decide Moore is next best & the one to avoid?

And the whole UCLA defense sucked...the year after Verner turns pro..does nothing to disuade Chadman's argument that Verner covered a few deficiencies.

Not saying Moore isn't good- but based on 2010- he's not a 1st round pick. Not over Aaron Williams certainly.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Hey Ruthless.

Looks like we have Guy in the third round. On to the fourth.

My suggestions:

Demarcus Love OT - Many had him as a first rounder a few weeks ago.
Kendrick Ellis NT
Jerrard Tarrant S
Weslye Saunders TE - Team would have to look hard at his suspension and his conditioning
James Carpenter - OT - Due to a change in the walter mock, Carpenter is available again
Bruce Miller - OLB

TIA

Oviedo
02-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Hey Ruthless.

My suggestions:

Kendrick Ellis NT
Jerrard Tarrant S
Weslye Saunders TE - Team would have to look hard at his suspension and his conditioning
James Carpenter - OT - Due to a change in the walter mock, Carpenter is available again
Bruce Miller - OLB

TIA

Add Jah Reid, OT UCF

grotonsteel
02-23-2011, 11:58 AM
I voted for Demarcus Love but i would vote for James Carpenter if Steelers have drafted Marcus Cannon in Rd 2.

Oviedo
02-23-2011, 12:06 PM
I voted for Bruce Miller. The kids is an absolute beast in the pass rush and is a solid tackler. He is a very high character person to. Worked hard for everything.

I've seen a few assessments that he could project inside too.

Good article to educate yourselves

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2854 ... n-marshall (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/285433-ucfs-bruce-miller-could-be-the-next-brandon-marshall)

hawaiiansteel
02-23-2011, 02:13 PM
if James Carpenter is still available when the Steelers select in Round 4 he would provide tremendous value, so that would be my choice.

NT Kendrick Ellis is also very intruiging here in Round 4 as he could be Big Snack's eventual successor...

Dee Dub
02-23-2011, 03:36 PM
Surely at some point during the 2009 season teams thought it was best to throw away from Moore? All that says is that teams felt more comfortable throwing in Moore's direction than Verner's, right? So with Verner gone, teams then decide Moore is next best & the one to avoid?

And the whole UCLA defense sucked...the year after Verner turns pro..does nothing to disuade Chadman's argument that Verner covered a few deficiencies.

Not saying Moore isn't good- but based on 2010- he's not a 1st round pick. Not over Aaron Williams certainly.

What were Troy Polomalu’s stats during this past postseason run? So because he was avoided and or accounted for he sucks?

Nice.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Hey Ruthless.

My suggestions:

Kendrick Ellis NT
Jerrard Tarrant S
Bruce Miller - OLB

TIA

Add Jah Reid, OT UCF

If you had cheated like I did you would see that Walter has us picking Reid in the fifth.

hawaiiansteel
02-26-2011, 06:09 PM
I would be happy with NT Kenrick Ellis as our 4th round choice...

should we move onto the 5th round?

focosteeler
02-26-2011, 08:05 PM
I would be happy with NT Kenrick Ellis as our 4th round choice...

should we move onto the 5th round?

i say yes :tt2

hawaiiansteel
02-28-2011, 02:38 AM
ok, NT Kenrick Ellis is our 4th round pick...

and I nominate OT Jah Reid as our 5th round selection :D

Oviedo
02-28-2011, 09:08 AM

Reid is a good choice. may also want to slide some of the Round 4 slections who didn't get picked like Miller.

hawaiiansteel
02-28-2011, 10:57 PM

Reid is a good choice. may also want to slide some of the Round 4 slections who didn't get picked like Miller.

Bruce Miller got chosen by the Packers the pick after us in the 4th round and is thus no longer available.

Oviedo
03-01-2011, 09:22 AM

Bruce Miller got chosen by the Packers the pick after us in the 4th round and is thus no longer available.

Oh great. Just want they need another Clay Matthews clone. Miller plays alot like Matthews. Non stop motor.