PDA

View Full Version : Mayock's Top 5 CB's...

Chadman
02-15-2011, 10:52 PM
Cornerback:

*1. Patrick Peterson, LSU
2. Prince Amukamara
*3. Aaron Williams, Texas
4. Jimmy Smith, Colorado
*5. Brandon Harris, Miami (Fla.)

If they fall like that in draft rankings, the Steelers could have the choice of either Smith or Harris- both would be very, very fine...

Dee Dub
02-15-2011, 11:33 PM
Personnally I do not think Smith is a could fit for the Steelers. He isnt the most physical corner and I will stick to my guns on this...if heathly Ras-I Dowling too me is the number 2 or 3 corner in this draft.

StarSpangledSteeler
02-16-2011, 12:30 AM
I will stick to my guns on this...if heathly Ras-I Dowling too me is the number 2 or 3 corner in this draft.

You may end up being right on this one Dee Dub. Pre-season he was ranked mid to late first round. His skill set has not diminished. The only question is, will he heal back to pre-injury form. Keep in mind, many players (including some of our own Steelers) go down to Tom Shaw's speed training program in Florida during the off-season and actually get FASTER than they were in college.

Lastly, CB is one of those positions where your skill set really needs to match the team's "scheme" to be successful. And no CB in this year's draft (besides Peterson) matches the Steelers better than Ras-I.

Chadman
02-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Lastly, CB is one of those positions where your skill set really needs to match the team's "scheme" to be successful. And no CB in this year's draft (besides Peterson) matches the Steelers better than Ras-I.

Hmm....this sounds a bit like a Steeler to Chadman though..

Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
Height: 5-11. Weight: 195.
Projected 40 Time: 4.41.
Projected Round (2011): Top 25 Pick.
10/9/10: Harris is a baller - period. On tape, he produces and plays with the swagger and confidence you want to see out of a cornerback. He's a missle in run support and shows the ability to take on a block. In coverage, receivers really struggle to separate and offensive coordinators have stopped calling plays his way this season.

5/13/10: Brandon Harris broke up a whopping 15 passes last year and also had six TFL.

Dee Dub
02-16-2011, 12:43 AM
I will stick to my guns on this...if heathly Ras-I Dowling too me is the number 2 or 3 corner in this draft.

You may end up being right on this one Dee Dub. Pre-season he was ranked mid to late first round. His skill set has not diminished. The only question is, will he heal back to pre-injury form. Keep in mind, many players (including some of our own Steelers) go down to Tom Shaw's speed training program in Florida during the off-season and actually get FASTER than they were in college.

I agree with you 100%. I watched him a lot two years ago (2009), and that was the first thing that came to my mind. He fits the 3-4 zone blitz to a tee. Big, physical, best in zone but still no slouch in man coverage. I love the way he goes up and gets the ball. He can knock receivers off their route and has a ton of toughness. He would be a steal in the second.

A couple years ago I talked a lot about Jarious Byrd and how I thought he would excel at the next level and I was dead right. I feel the same about Ras-I.

Shawn
02-16-2011, 12:57 AM
Sounds like Harris is Ike Taylor without the tackling skills. Didn't he also have some legal or school troubles. I can't seem to find it now but thought I read about it.

papillon
02-16-2011, 01:04 AM
Sounds like Harris is Ike Taylor without the tackling skills. Didn't he also have some legal or school troubles. I can't seem to find it now but thought I read about it.

This article seems to think he'll be okay tackling people (or, at least, will stick his head in and try to tackle).

10/9/10: Harris is a baller - period. On tape, he produces and plays with the swagger and confidence you want to see out of a cornerback. He's a missle in run support and shows the ability to take on a block. In coverage, receivers really struggle to separate and offensive coordinators have stopped calling plays his way this season.

5/13/10: Brandon Harris broke up a whopping 15 passes last year and also had six TFL.

Pappy

grotonsteel
02-16-2011, 01:06 AM
Has Ras-I-Dowling recovered from his injury??? I am interested in his 40 time.

I think you can put a WR on Jimmy Smith island ala Revis. He has blazing speed. Smith is a very physical press cover corner. If he is available at 31 i think he is a no brainer but i don't think Smith will be there.

About time Steelers change their scheme. To win another SB Steelers will have to beat teams like Cheatroits, Packers,Saints.

Oviedo
02-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Has Ras-I-Dowling recovered from his injury??? I am interested in his 40 time.

I think you can put a WR on Jimmy Smith island ala Revis. He has blazing speed. Smith is a very physical press cover corner. If he is available at 31 i think he is a no brainer but i don't think Smith will be there.

About time Steelers change their scheme. To win another SB Steelers will have to beat teams like Cheatroits, Packers,Saints.

Totally agree. We need to get press coverage guys instead of guys that can't cover man to man. Did no one learn anything from the Super Bowl?????????

Shawn
02-16-2011, 10:01 AM

This article seems to think he'll be okay tackling people (or, at least, will stick his head in and try to tackle).

Pappy

I don't have much exposure to the guy but this is what I am reading from multiple sites.

What Harris lacks in size and tackling technique he makes up with desire and a willingness to throw his body around. He is not the greatest technique tackler, but he is super compeitive.

Marginal production in three years at Miami (132 tackles, four interceptions, four forced fumbles)... Not the surest tackler, flows well the to ball, but will miss tackles or give a lot of extra yardage to bigger backs... Needs to work on zone coverage skills, is not especially quick to read and react, much better at mirroring receivers in man coverage... Will miss tackles in the open field, needs to do a better job of breaking down in space.

Not overly willing in run support
Average in zone coverage
Needs to improve his coverage awareness
Can be beaten deep
Inconsistent
Not a great tackler
Gets his hands on a lot of passes but just 4 career interceptions
Struggled at times during a high profile match up in the Sun Bowl against Michael Floyd
Has the physical tools but is still refining his cover skills

I just don't see it. I have not known the Steelers to draft a DB who isn't also terrific in run support or a sure tackler. I go by history when looking at mocks, and I just don't believe the Steelers will be very high on the guy. But, I have been proven wrong before and I'll be proven wrong again I'm sure.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Personnally I do not think Smith is a could fit for the Steelers. He isnt the most physical corner and I will stick to my guns on this...if heathly Ras-I Dowling too me is the number 2 or 3 corner in this draft.

I think you got Smith confused with someone else. Smith is a physical CB. I like Dowling too. He could be a possibilty in round 2 if he doesn't time well at the combine. He might not be a 100% healthy and could slip.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-16-2011, 11:15 AM

I think that the greater issue is personnel - Gay, McFadden - than it is scheme.

steelblood
02-16-2011, 12:33 PM

Dude, you love players from UVA. I thought you were going to propose to Chris Long a few years ago. :lol:

Dowling is a good corner with great size and physicality. But, he gets turned around too easily by quick receivers that can change gears. I saw him get owned in 2009 (when healthy supposedly) against a no name short, quick kid. Multiple times in man coverage he lost this guy or got turned around. Granted, it was one game. But, I felt he was really exposed and, frankly, looked lost.

grotonsteel
02-16-2011, 12:47 PM

I think that the greater issue is personnel - Gay, McFadden - than it is scheme.

Well personnel should dictate the scheme. Do you believe if Steelers had Revis opposite Ike Steelers CB will be still giving 10 yard cushion?

I believe because BMac and Gay can't play man coverage they have been asked to play 10 yards off the WR to avoid big plays. Again i am just throwing 10 yards out there but 10 yards cushion is not working against Packers,Cheatroits etc etc.

Packers made Steelers Defense look like a joke to be frank. Same thing will happen next season as more and more teams will avoid running the ball against Steelers and dink dunk for 5 yards every play.NFL is a copy cat league. Will it work for all the teams??Nope but now there are 3 teams..tomorrow there could be 6 teams.

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2011, 01:21 PM

Dude, you love players from UVA. I thought you were going to propose to Chris Long a few years ago. :lol:

Dowling is a good corner with great size and physicality. But, he gets turned around too easily by quick receivers that can change gears. I saw him get owned in 2009 (when healthy supposedly) against a no name short, quick kid. Multiple times in man coverage he lost this guy or got turned around. Granted, it was one game. But, I felt he was really exposed and, frankly, looked lost.

I love Farrior and Heath! :mrgreen:

Dee Dub
02-16-2011, 03:05 PM

Virginia runs a 3-4. Or at leaset they use to. And tell me what CB doesnt get turned around occasionally on quick receivers? We are talking about a second round steal in Dowling...not a top 10 lock down corner. :idea:

He projects very well in the Steelers zone blitz scheme.

Look at this and tell me he isnt perfect for the Steelers system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VCHpKga ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VCHpKga3kk&feature=related)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-17-2011, 11:13 AM

What is the nature of Dowling's health concerns?

Oviedo
02-17-2011, 12:18 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":3poh9zv1]Personnally I do not think Smith is a could fit for the Steelers. He isnt the most physical corner and I will stick to my guns on this...if heathly Ras-I Dowling too me is the number 2 or 3 corner in this draft.

What is the nature of Dowling's health concerns?[/quote:3poh9zv1]

I seem to recall reading he had an issue with high ankle sprains

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-18-2011, 10:50 AM

Well personnel should dictate the scheme. Do you believe if Steelers had Revis opposite Ike Steelers CB will be still giving 10 yard cushion?

I believe because BMac and Gay can't play man coverage they have been asked to play 10 yards off the WR to avoid big plays. Again i am just throwing 10 yards out there but 10 yards cushion is not working against Packers,Cheatroits etc etc.

Packers made Steelers Defense look like a joke to be frank. Same thing will happen next season as more and more teams will avoid running the ball against Steelers and dink dunk for 5 yards every play.NFL is a copy cat league. Will it work for all the teams??Nope but now there are 3 teams..tomorrow there could be 6 teams.

I believe that we are fighting the same battle here. Upgrade the personnel and the coaching staff will find a way to put them in position to succeed. We don't need to have a Revis opposite Ike, just someone who can do a better job than the BMac/Gay combo.

grotonsteel
02-18-2011, 12:14 PM
[quote=grotonsteel]About time Steelers change their scheme. To win another SB Steelers will have to beat teams like Cheatroits, Packers,Saints.

I believe that we are fighting the same battle here. Upgrade the personnel and the coaching staff will find a way to put them in position to succeed. We don't need to have a Revis opposite Ike, just someone who can do a better job than the BMac/Gay combo.[/quote:169dh3r5]

True...

I don't think Steelers will get another Revis in FA but if they get a CB who can play like Revis it will be awesome....

Jimmy Smith from Colorado is compared to Nnamdi Asomugha. I would not mind if Steelers draft a CB in Rd 1.

Oviedo
02-18-2011, 12:21 PM
[quote=grotonsteel]About time Steelers change their scheme. To win another SB Steelers will have to beat teams like Cheatroits, Packers,Saints.

I believe that we are fighting the same battle here. Upgrade the personnel and the coaching staff will find a way to put them in position to succeed. We don't need to have a Revis opposite Ike, just someone who can do a better job than the BMac/Gay combo.

True...

I don't think Steelers will get another Revis in FA but if they get a CB who can play like Revis it will be awesome....

Jimmy Smith from Colorado is compared to Nnamdi Asomugha. I would not mind if Steelers draft a CB in Rd 1.[/quote:9cxbqs0h]

Smith would be my perfect pick for a CB in Round 1 but I don't hink he will fall that far. He could well be the third CB off the board. I think Aaron Williams from Texas would be a great choice too.

Pros:
Williams is one of a few top cornerbacks eligible for the 2011 NFL Draft. He is a very heady player that provides great leadership among his peers. He has relatively no risk of off the field issues and is praised by his coaches for his maturity. Williams has above average size for the position and possesses top-end speed. Williams may be one of the faster players in college football right now. He has the attitude necessary to take on the top competition week in and week out and is very confident in his skills. He boasts all the skills needed to be an excellent man to man corner. He is exceptional at reading wide receiverís routes and uses a quick burst to get out of his backpedal. He swivels his hips to stay with the wide outs and if he happens to take a wrong step he has amazing closing speed. NFL scouts are going to quickly identify the way he attacks the ball when itís in the air. While so far in his career he only has 4 INTs I fully expect to see a lot more at the next level.
Cons:
While Williams is a willing run defender he still struggles in this area. He is susceptible to jukes and cannot be counted on in to make the open field tackle. He needs to focus on making the sure tackle and keeping his balance. In pass coverage he can fall victim to the double move. We mentioned his aggressive attacks on the ball and this can sometimes lead to biting on those double moves, which could result in a big play.
Thoughts:
Overall Williams is one of the more physically talented corners in the country and has everything NFL teams are looking for. He needs to make a few adjustments here or there but he has a very bright future ahead of him.
Projected Round:
I feel that Williams is a lock for the 1st round, itís now a matter of how high can he go!

hawaiiansteel
02-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Cornerback player analysis part 1

My first four CB's with detailed scouting reports
BTSC - 2/9

Jimmy Smith, Colorado
40 yard dash: 4.49
height: 6-2
weight: 205

Jimmy Smith has a great and rare combination of size and speed. At 4.49 he has enough speed to keep up with NFL WR's and at 6-2 he has the elite height you need to cover the Calvin Johnson's of the league. He is very athletic and has great closing speed. He also possesses great ball skills and is great in run support. Perhaps his greatest attribute is his work ethic and attitude. His biggest weakness is that he will need to work on his technique but under the Steelers management he will learn how.

Curtis Brown, Texas
40 yard dash: 4.50
height: 6-0
weight: 184

Brown has a good combination of size and speed. One of his biggest strengths is his closing speed. He can give a little cushion because he has the ability to burst to the ball and tackle well. He rarely misses a tackle. He also has very soft hands and great ball skills. Another thing he has going for him is he can contribute in special teams and is very good in run support. His biggest weakness is his inability to jam receivers on the line but in the Steelers system that is not a big deal.

Brandon Harris, Miami
40 yard dash: 4.41
height: 5-11
weight: 195

Harris has great speed and size to be a lock-down corner in the NFL. At 4.41 he possesses enough speed to keep up with any WR in the NFL. At 5-11 he can cover most tall WR's. He also is an elite play maker. He has great hands, unlike Ike Taylor, and would be a great compliment to Ike Taylor.

Ras I Dowling, Virginia
40 yard dash: 4.50
height: 6-2
weight: 200

Dowling has the perfect height and size for a Steelers CB. He has enough speed to keep up with all the WR's. He has a great burst to let him close on WR's when they catch the ball. He is very instinctive and athletic. He is physical on the line of scrimmage and has a great ability to use his hands. He is highly competitive and loves to win. His weaknesses are that he struggles with elusive receivers and has injury problems. Many people compare him to our own Ike Taylor.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... sis-part-1 (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/2/9/1984738/cornerback-player-analysis-part-1)

hawaiiansteel
02-21-2011, 08:30 PM
2011 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Aaron Williams, CB, University of Texas

by Michael Bean on Feb 15, 2011

The Basics:

Height: 6-1

Weight: 189

Class: Junior

Projected Draft Status: Very late 1st round to early 2nd round

If Williams is still available at 31 -- the Steelers spot in the first round -- then I believe the Steelers will have him as the best available talent on the board. If the Steelers pass on Williams for whatever reason, he almost certainly goes within the first 10 picks of the second round.

Other Potential 1st Round Corners:

Patrick Peterson (LSU)... Prince Amukamara (Nebraska)....Brandon Harris (Miami)

Both Peterson and Amukamara are projected to be top 10 picks, with Peterson regarded as a potential top five guy. After those two studs though, Williams ranks right up there with the best of them. He and Brandon Harris are both first round hopefuls. Both could be snagged by the Steelers were they available at 31.

Career Stats:

106 tackles (64 solo), three sacks, 12 tackles for loss, three pressures, four INTs, 24 pass broken up, six forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and five blocked punts (No. 2 on UT's all-time list) for his career

Career Game: 10/16/10 at Nebraska (W, 20-13): 8 tackles, 2TFL, 3 Pass deflections

Williams' Strengths (in buzzwords):

Tall and athletic (think Bryant McFadden in his prime)

Great jamming ability (think the opposite of William Gay)

Very quick and agile (shouldn't all DBs be quick and agile)

Can run with receivers step for step (he can't run with the Mike Wallaces of the world, but who can? Most everybody else Williams will be able to run with)

Great ball skills and instincts (something the Steelers CBs could use an infusion of)

Great closing speed (a good thing considering his propensity to gamble and lack of elite speed)

Good tackler (a must to play in Dick LeBeau's defense)

Weaknesses (in buzzwords):

An intelligent but still raw talent (duh, he's a junior groomed in the Big 12, where the offenses that are deployed are a far cry from the sets run in the NFL)

Relies too much on athleticism (who doesn't at that age in that environment? Beware though Mr. Williams, you best take good angles in the NFL. Even the relative scrubs at the next level will make you look silly if you don't.)

Peeks in the backfield too much (not a great trait, but let's just say it's much harder to pull of double-moves in the NFL. In other words, Williams should be just fine if he lands in a situation where there's solid veteran leadership, adept coaching, and he's not thrust into the spotlight too quickly)

Final thoughts:

Williams is a versatile talent who has a great shot at having a long, productive career in the NFL. Williams might be a good fit for the Steelers because (1) he'd be able to assume William Gay's duties in the slot...(2) with a year or so of grooming and some time in the Steelers strength and conditioning program, Williams could easily be ready to play the No. 2 corner spot in '12 or '13....(3) he's not afraid to make tackles in the running game. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that he takes enormous pride in not shying away from contact.

I watched him plenty, and saw him get juked out a few times. But that's to be expected, at least in the Big 12 where the offenses are well-oiled machines that spread defenses out and force defenders to make open field tackles time and time again. Of course there's going to be occasions when the offense gets the upper hand. That said, Williams wasn't just beaten by better offense. He at times got himself and his defense into trouble by taking undisciplined angles to the ball, relying too much on his ability to react and close on defenders in space. That will get you smoked in the NFL, not to mention a place on the bench. But in my mind at least, it's refreshing to see a young kid want to make big hits in the open field, even if it is at times to his detriment at the collegiate level.

Why? Well, that kind of hubris quickly gets sucked right out of you in the highly hierarchical NFL. At least when you're dealing with good kids that are coachable and not renegade personalities. Williams is just that -- a good humble kid by all accounts. It's a pretty safe bet that under the right tutelage, he will quickly overcome any tendency to expose himself to compromising situations in the open field as a result of trying to do too much.

Angles and anticipation can be taught. A hard-nosed toughness and willingness to hit is a lot harder to impart. Bottom line is I'll take a guy who's got the size and heart to make a hit even if he's a tad undisciplined over a guy who's a bit more mentally sound in his decision making but incapable of playing physical football when necessary.

So, were Williams to wind up in Pittsburgh, the Steelers would likely roll out Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden at the top two corner positions. However, you can count on Crezdon Butler and Keenan Lewis having every opportunity in the world to unseat B-Mac in Latrobe.

Regardless, Williams would likely find the field as a rookie from the nickel, perhaps in a similar role as the one William Gay occupied this year. Williams loves to blitz off the edge, and he's got the closing speed to limit underneath patterns to small-moderate gains. He's also a sure tackler -- a guy you can trust to bring down RBs and TEs after the catch.

Finally it's worth noting that Williams was a member of the UT Athletic Director's Honor Roll in the Spring of '10. There's going to be boat loads of young men who have some scholastic achievements to point to during this year's evaluation process. But pay attention to when Williams excelled in the classroom. That's right, in the spring semester of his junior year, after he'd played his final game for the Longhorns and was eying a move to the next level. There's an endless supply of stories about guys shutting it down academically after their eligibility is up, or after they've become eligible to declare for the draft. There's not too many stories of underclassman sticking with their studies when there's little at stake other than their personal pride and sense of duty and purpose.

Translation: Who ever ends up drafting Aaron Williams is more than likely going to be pleased with the player and person they've entrusted to improve their roster and represent their franchise.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... y-of-texas (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/2/15/1994641/2011-nfl-draft-player-profiles-aaron-williams-cb-university-of-texas)