PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical CBA related

Mister Pittsburgh
02-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Let's say there is no CBA agreed to before the 2011 draft, from what I have heard, there will still be a draft. But after the draft, the new players couldn't be signed, correct?

Then lets say that there is actually no 2011 season due to a lockout. Would there be a draft in 2012?

If there was, would the draft order stay the same which would give the crappier teams this year two drafts worth of top picks?

Would teams that had picks they received in trades get those picks the following year too?

Would they do a lottery to see who picks where?

What would happen to the players that were drafted in 2011 if there was a 2012 draft?

Would those guys then be free agents to sign with whoever?

I don't see it getting this far as I think the players would fold before this happened. Most players in the NFL aren't bigtime millionaires. I would assume most would prefer earning 80% of the pay they are getting now, as opposed to no pay at all.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-16-2011, 10:51 AM
[quote]Let's say there is no CBA agreed to before the 2011 draft, from what I have heard, there will still be a draft. But after the draft, the new players couldn't be signed, correct?

I believe this is correct. Contracts can't be signed if there are no CBA parameters.

Then lets say that there is actually no 2011 season due to a lockout. Would there be a draft in 2012?

I am sure that there would be - just as the NHL did in 2005 after losing a season to lockout.

If there was, would the draft order stay the same which would give the crappier teams this year two drafts worth of top picks?

Going by the very complicated way that the NHL did it, the entire league was in a lottery with first prize being Sidney Crosby (guess who won Pittsburghers). The lottery was weighted giving extra consideration to several key issues - fewest recent playoff appearances being the biggest IIRC. Also, the draft used the "snaking" method of picking where the order is reversed in even numbered rounds. The philosophy here was that teams were already rewarded for a poor season in the '04 draft. It was made to be more even in '05 after no season.

Would teams that had picks they received in trades get those picks the following year too?

No, because when a team trades a draft pick it is a specific pick in a set year.

Would they do a lottery to see who picks where?

See NHL example above. I don't know that they would use the same formula, but I'm pretty sure that they would use a full league lottery.

What would happen to the players that were drafted in 2011 if there was a 2012 draft?

Ask Alex Ovechkin - First pick in the '04 NHL draft. Incidentally, Malkin was the #2 that year. The Pens added Crosby and Malkin without any games being played.

Would those guys then be free agents to sign with whoever?

See above. As soon as the CBA ink was dried each team would have twice as many contracts to sign.

I don't see it getting this far as I think the players would fold before this happened. Most players in the NFL aren't bigtime millionaires. I would assume most would prefer earning 80% of the pay they are getting now, as opposed to no pay at all.

I agree. With such a short career expectancy in the NFL, added to the fact that (approx) half the union members make below $1M per season, a large number of players cannot afford to lose a season in their goal of setting themselves up financially. The Mannings and Bradys and Roethlisbergers can afford to withstand a work stoppage and still be set for life. The same can't necessarily be said for the likes of Keenan Lewis, Ramon Foster, and David Johnson. Each earned $395K in 2010, which was the last year of their contracts. If a season is lost they must fight an uphill battle against twice as many rooks as usual in order to just find a roster spot somewhere - either Pittsburgh or elsewhere. All would have a few bucks stashed away but none is set the way another contract would set them up. [/quote:3c3977gy]

Mister Pittsburgh
02-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Man, thanks for all the answers. Nice work. The snake draft would be alright I guess.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Man, thanks for all the answers. Nice work. The snake draft would be alright I guess.

Of course, that supposes that the NFL uses the NHL as their model. I take nothing for granted when it comes to Czar Goodell. I would not be surprised if he fines Harrison for not playing during a lockout.