PDA

View Full Version : OT: Rod Woodson to Coach Raiders Secondary

LordVile
02-14-2011, 05:23 PM
The Oakland Raiders have announced that Hall of Famer and NFL Network analyst Rod Woodson has been hired to coach the team's secondary.

Wow, score for them... One good decision in a long time for them

SteelBucks
02-14-2011, 05:45 PM
I didn't know Rod wanted to get into coaching. He would have been a nice replacement for Horton.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-14-2011, 05:47 PM
I didn't know Rod wanted to get into coaching. He would have been a nice replacement for Horton.
What I was thinking.

aggiebones
02-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Sitting on a set with talking heads is no way to enhance your coaching skills. Frankly, its an odd move by both Rod and the Raiders. Maybe Rod has given up his dream of being the next Jamie Dukes. I didn't think Rod was very good at it.
So if he now wants to coach, good luck to him. Being good and very talented on the field for the Steelers, doesn't mean he is a good coach. I don't think the Steelers missed on this one. But you never know, maybe he'll be great.

Snatch98
02-14-2011, 06:07 PM
I'm just glad he's off TV. I can't stand him as a analyst. He's right below Marshall Faulk and Ron Jaworski for me. He may be ahead of Jaws in my analyst hate hierarchy.

SteelBucks
02-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Sitting on a set with talking heads is no way to enhance your coaching skills. Frankly, its an odd move by both Rod and the Raiders. Maybe Rod has given up his dream of being the next Jamie Dukes. I didn't think Rod was very good at it.
So if he now wants to coach, good luck to him. Being good and very talented on the field for the Steelers, doesn't mean he is a good coach. I don't think the Steelers missed on this one. But you never know, maybe he'll be great.

These questions can be asked of any new coach, but you're right, he may be great or he may be terrible. I will however give one of the best CB's ever the benefit of the doubt and say it was a good hire by the Raiders. Just my 2 cents.

Chadman
02-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Wonder if Carnell Lake is doing anything these days....

costanza2k1
02-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Move makes sense for Rod as it's close to his home base. His coaching experience will be the worst one ever for him with Al running the show there.

papillon
02-15-2011, 08:04 AM
The problem typically with great players that try their hand at coaching is that they are coaching players that aren't nearly as gifted physically or mentally. And, even though they (any great player) know what they want the players to do, the less gifted players are incapable due to lack of speed, quickness, or instincts of the great player.

Good luck to Rod, why any coach or player would want to go and work for Al Davis is a mystery to me, but it is an opportunity that no one else was giving him.

Pappy

Oviedo
02-15-2011, 08:54 AM
The problem typically with great players that try their hand at coaching is that they are coaching players that aren't nearly as gifted physically or mentally. And, even though they (any great player) know what they want the players to do, the less gifted players are incapable due to lack of speed, quickness, or instincts of the great player.

Good luck to Rod, why any coach or player would want to go and work for Al Davis is a mystery to me, but it is an opportunity that no one else was giving him.

Pappy

Exactly!!!!!!!

That is why marginal players like Cowher or players who can't make it at all like Tomlin make the best coaches. They have to work and study hard to have a chance. They learn and teach themselves more.

I thought people who went to Purdue were suppose to be smart. I guess Woodson is dispelling that myth.

Shawn
02-15-2011, 01:56 PM
What I was thinking.

x2

Ozey74
02-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Woodson doesn't seem like he would be much of a motivator.

hawaiiansteel
02-17-2011, 03:08 AM
http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/4701669/OH-****-Its-Rod-Woodson.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=TKtk

Hall of Famer Woodson joins Raiders' staff as CBs coach

NFL.com Wire Reports
Published: Feb. 14, 2011

The Oakland Raiders added a Hall of Famer to their coaching staff Monday, hiring Rod Woodson to tutor their cornerbacks.

Woodson, one of the most accomplished defensive backs to play in the NFL, was selected to the league's 75th Anniversary Team. He played the final two of his 17 seasons with the Raiders, helping them win the 2002 AFC Championship Game.

"It's an honor to be back with the Raiders and be able to talk to Raider players about true football," Woodson said in a statement released by the team. "I'm looking forward to working with the organization and the challenges of the 2011 season."

Among Woodson's first responsibilities: Help convince three-time Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, whose contract was voided when he failed to reach certain performance incentives this season, to return to the Raiders. Asomugha became an unrestricted free agent in early January.

"Hopefully, Nnamdi will come back," Woodson told NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" on Monday. "I think we're going to do some different things this year on a defensive side, some more looks, some more things for the corners to make plays, get them to face the football, hopefully, a little bit more so they can get interceptions, so they can be playmakers for this defense. If we can do that, and if we can get a Nnamdi Asomugha back in Oakland, one of the best corners in the National Football League, it makes my job a lot easier."

Woodson had recently served as an analyst for NFL Network and Big Ten Network, but he decided to go into coaching.

"I've been thinking about coaching for quite a long time," he told "NFL Total Access." "I was offered a job when I first retired seven years ago, but after spending 17 years in the league, I wasn't ready to do it then. The last couple years, I've been thinking about it, talking to all my guys and friends who are coaching in the league, and I talked to (Raiders owner Al) Davis, and I talked to Hue (Jackson, the team's new head coach), and I was offered the job.

"I just didn't want to pass it up. I didn't want to live my life in regret, not having the opportunity -- or at least taking the opportunity to try this thing out. ... So I'm going to give it a shot and see how it works out."

Woodson spent the bulk of his playing career with the Pittsburgh Steelers, starring with them for 10 seasons. He was named The Associated Press' NFL Defensive Player of the Year for Pittsburgh in 1993 and helped the Steelers reach the Super Bowl following the 1995 season.

Woodson also spent one season with the San Francisco 49ers and four with the Baltimore Ravens, winning the Super Bowl with the latter following the 2000 season.

Woodson was voted to 11 Pro Bowls and the 1990s all-decade team, and he was selected a first-team All-Pro six times as a cornerback, safety or kick returner.

"I'm excited that we have a Hall of Fame player who is coming back to the organization," Jackson said in the team-issued statement. "I was extremely impressed during the interview process with his communication skills, and I'm looking forward to Rod imparting his wealth of knowledge to our players."

Woodson told "NFL Total Access" that he hoped to give his players a "first-person take of it, on what I did on the field, things I enjoyed doing to make it successful to get balls in my hands, and hopefully they can do that, and if I can do that, we'll have a better secondary."

He also said: "Everybody has a different tool belt. Some guys have a lot of tools in their tool belt, some guys don't. I think what I have to do is give those guys more tools on their tool belt so when they get on to game day, they can perform. And put them in positions they're comfortable with to make plays."

Woodson's 71 career interceptions rank third in NFL history. He is the career leader in interception returns for touchdowns (12) and interception-return yardage (1,483).

Woodson will work in Oakland's secondary with Kevin Ross, who is coaching the safeties.

The Raiders haven't announced who their defensive coordinator will be next season. Chuck Bresnahan, who was defensive coordinator when Woodson played in Oakland, is on staff as a defensive assistant and is a likely candidate.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e4d6a3/article/hall-of-famer-woodson-joins-raiders-staff-as-cbs-coach?module=HP_headlines

aggiebones
02-17-2011, 02:28 PM

These questions can be asked of any new coach, but you're right, he may be great or he may be terrible. I will however give one of the best CB's ever the benefit of the doubt and say it was a good hire by the Raiders. Just my 2 cents.

I'm seeing 2 things here.
1) Last act of a desperate man trying to get a career after football. He likely preferred the analyst lifestyle, but clearly he wasn't gonna make it there. So he better try coaching.

2) If a better program had hired him, I might see more faith. But it was the Raiders. Hardly a ringing endorsement for a program 'finding' a hidden gem.

I hope he does well, but I'm not gonna worry that the Raiders snuck something away from us. If it happens, it might be the first time.

Crash
02-17-2011, 02:37 PM
How is Rod going to avoid The I suck Ray Lewis off on NFL Network withdrawls?

RuthlessBurgher
02-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Signing Rod to coach the corners may be Undead Al's last ditch effort at trying to convince Asomugha to return.

hawaiiansteel
02-19-2011, 02:43 AM
Woodson Learned From One Of The Greats

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/63/637799.jpg

Rod Woodson (Getty Images)

By Len Pasquarelli
The Sports XChange
Posted Feb 18, 2011

Great players don't always make great coaches. But former Steelers superstar Rod Woodson has a chance, according to Len Pasquarelli.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, the old adage suggests, teach.
At age 45, Rod Woodson can't do it anymore, although those who viewed him manning his NFL Network responsibilities at the Super Bowl a couple weeks ago -- and witnessed first-hand the taut condition in which he remains seven-plus years after his final league game -- might ardently disagree.

And so the Hall of Fame defensive back has decided to teach, sort of, in accepting a job as an Oakland Raiders' secondary coach.

The guess here is that Woodson, despite the history of pratfalls by outstanding NFL players who followed their careers by becoming coaches, will be a good one.

One primary reason why: Because Woodson, whose previous coaching experience consists of a stretch as a volunteer assistant at Valley Christian High School near his home in the East Bay, spent the first five seasons of his 17-year career apprenticing under one of the best instructors in NFL history.

Chuck Noll.

"He never got impatient as a coach, at least not in the (tutoring) atmosphere, not at all," said Woodson at the Super Bowl, recalling his inaugural NFL mentor. "He might get a bit (undone) as a coach ... but not as a teacher. He was always calm and made sure everyone got the point."

For those folks who grew up despising the Raiders (as a died-in-the-wool former 'Burgher, I learned at an early age the difference between black-and-gold and silver-and-black), it might be a tad incongruous watching Woodson slip into Oakland duds for the 2011 season. After all, on Christmas Eve, Woodson's former employers at the league's cable entity chose Woodson as the No. 4 greatest Steelers player of all-time.

So from a fan's perspective in Pittsburgh, this is akin to an American manufacturer relocating his factory to China.

But first-year Raiders coach Hue Jackson is attempting to assemble the best staff he can, regardless of initial pedigree, and Woodson should do just fine.

The odds of success will be better, doubtless, if Woodson can convince standout corner Nnamdi Asomugha, an unrestricted free agent who will be among the most pursued players whenever it is the market opens for business, to re-up in Oakland. But even minus Asomugha -- and the chances of keeping the Pro Bowl cornerback, who has a tight relationship with Woodson, might have increased with Jackson's latest addition to his staff -- the Hall of Fame defensive back should be good in his teaching role.

A terror as a player, Woodson might not possess the same calm as Noll, but he does have the same even manner and palpable repose. A lot of players-turned-television analysts gain attention by screaming. Woodson draws focus in much the same way Noll did. By speaking with measure, not bravado, and by cleverly forcing a listener to edge forward to hear him.

He speaks, not in whispers, but hardly in anything approaching aircraft-level decibels.

And he listens, as do all great teachers, before he speaks.

Often players who were great in their career tank as coaches at any level because of a simple reality: The game was so natural for them that they find it really difficult to verbalize the work ethic one must possess to succeed at the NFL level. Describing it to someone less gifted becomes much more daunting than doing it one's self. Indeed, syllables are much tougher than deeds.

Maybe that will be a problem for Woodson, but we're guessing not. The man who made a seamless transition from cornerback to safety should be able to promulgate the switch to coach.

He may not in time be one of the best, but he learned from one of the best, and the bet here is that he'll put the lessons imparted by Noll to good use.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1049226.html

Chadman
03-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Wonder if Carnell Lake is doing anything these days....

Early Nostradamous nomination...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 25455.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_725455.html)