PDA

View Full Version : Double dose of Pouncey would help Steelers

hawaiiansteel
02-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Double dose of Pouncey would help Steelers

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/1/91/9e6/1919e604-3774-11e0-b221-0017a4a78c22-revisions/4d57dabc6588f.preview-300.jpg

Mike and Maurkice Pouncey

Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011
By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff

PITTSBURGH - Never before have two brothers played together for the Steelers. But that could change soon.

Maurkice Pouncey was nothing short of sensational this past season. So why not find a way to get Mike Pouncey on the team?

The Steelers could double their pleasure on the offensive line for years to come with Pouncey and Pouncey. But the possibility of the identical twins playing for the Steelers might be a long shot.

For starters, Mike Pouncey probably won't be available when it's the Steelers' turn to make their first-round pick. He's one of the highest-rated interior linemen in the draft, and he might not last until the Steelers choose at No. 31.

Certainly, other teams in the league needing a force inside have seen what Maurkice did as a rookie. So why not take Mike if he's available?

Plus, maybe the Steelers will be so worried about their precarious situation at cornerback that they may go that route.

Still, the Steelers do have issues on the O-line, including right guard. In the last three seasons, the Steelers have started five different players there, including three this season (Trai Essex, Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster).

That problem could be solved if the Steelers take Mike Pouncey. He played center at the University of Florida this past season. But in the previous two years, he started at right guard next to Maurkice, who centered for the Gators.

Since the Steelers chose Maurkice Pouncey with the 19th pick in 2010, they have loved everything about him. They rave about his athleticism, intelligence and the way he plays the game. They rave about his character and his willingness to learn. He's a terrific football player and a good guy to boot.

Maurkice wants to be reunited with his brother. Likewise for Mike Pouncey.

It's hard to imagine that if Mike Pouncey's name is still on the draft board when the Steelers make their first-round pick that coach Mike Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert would pass on him.

But Pouncey and Pouncey surely has a nice ring to it. Maybe the Steelers will trade up to get him.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steel ... 78c22.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/double-dose-of-pouncey-would-help-steelers/article_e2c40ce0-372a-11e0-af4e-0017a4a78c22.html)

Crash
02-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Starks/Pouncey/Legursky/Pouncey/Adams

That combination, would win the AFC.

msp26505
02-13-2011, 04:18 PM
I suspect that the fact that we keep hearing and reading about this means that there is ZERO chance that Mike will be available at #31.

The Steelers scouting department is one of the best and most widely-respected in the NFL. If other teams believe that the Steelers are truly interested, they will jump at the opportunity to draft Pouncey #2 not only because Mike is a good player, but also because it would foil the Steelers plans.

Have the Steelers indicated interest? Because if so, I believe it would be a smokescreen. They have better poker faces than that.

aggiebones
02-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Exactly. We are not desperate for G like other positions. Pouncey is not an interest for us. Its a story, nothing more. And pray he's gone by our pick so we can avoid the awkwardness of passing on him.

phillyesq
02-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Exactly. We are not desperate for G like other positions. Pouncey is not an interest for us. Its a story, nothing more. And pray he's gone by our pick so we can avoid the awkwardness of passing on him.

If Pouncey was available at 31 and on top of the Steelers board, they'd take him, no question. The Steelers draft for talent, not need, and its served them well.

While I'd love to see the Steelers focus on a DB, if they end up with two brothers who can play together at an all pro level for the next decade, I'm not going to gripe.

birtikidis
02-13-2011, 08:25 PM
A handful of poor showings by our secondary and all of a sudden Corner is our most dire need. don't take into the fact that we have the #1 defense in the NFL and teams CAN'T run against us so ALL they can do is throw the ball. I don't know the last time a team was #1 across the board. Has it even happened?
yet, we have one of the worst red zone offenses, an inability to consistently run the ball (especially on short yardage situations) and the most sacked qb in the NFL over the last five years and people want to talk like our O-Line isn't our biggest problem.
Arians apologists say that our offense would be great with a better o-line
ben apologists say that our offense and our qb would be the best in the NFL if we had a better O-Line
Mendenhall apologists say that our RB would be a top rb in the NFL if it weren't for a ****ty o-line.
I've never heard anyone make excuses for our offensive line.. they're bad. they need upgraded. It's a much more dire situation the Corner.

SteelBucks
02-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Address CB in free agency and draft Pouncey sounds like a solid plan to me. Unfortunately they would probably need to move up to get him.

birtikidis
02-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Address CB in free agency and draft Pouncey sounds like a solid plan to me. Unfortunately they would probably need to move up to get him.
I think we can get a decent young guy in the 2nd. I haven't given up on our rookie from last year or the 2nd year guy (Butler and Lewis). Maybe getting rid of Horton will help their development.

D Rock
02-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Maybe Kemo can be used as trade bait to move up in the first.

A team wants a Guard and is picking somewhere in the 20-24 range. Mike Pouncey is available and the Steelers call and offer a known commodity and a multiple year starting OG as well as the 31st pick. Sounds reasonable to me.

The Steelers know they can plug in Legursky and Foster as the guards to start the year if Mike isn't ready. I don't think losing Kemo, especially to replace him with a more talented yet unknown player, would be an issue.

birtikidis
02-13-2011, 11:13 PM

A team wants a Guard and is picking somewhere in the 20-24 range. Mike Pouncey is available and the Steelers call and offer a known commodity and a multiple year starting OG as well as the 31st pick. Sounds reasonable to me.

The Steelers know they can plug in Legursky and Foster as the guards to start the year if Mike isn't ready. I don't think losing Kemo, especially to replace him with a more talented yet unknown player, would be an issue.
Sorry D, I think that's a bad idea. You're just taking the problem and putting a band aid on it. Here's what I think is the problem: Kemo is playing out of position, our RG is playing out of position.
now. focus on the solution, not the problem.
Move KEMO to RG where he will not be out of position (I personally believe that Kemo cannot handle playing space the way a LG has to-- IE when the LT has to block a good outside speed rusher such as Suggs, but he could play well in limited space at RG where the RT doesn't have to open up as often)
Draft Pouncey to play LG where he will not be out of position
Move Foster to back up tackle where he can be the top guy to back up both tackles.
let Legursky be the top back up to both guards and center.
we can let Colon walk... i don't know if he'll ever be the same anyway.

birtikidis
02-13-2011, 11:16 PM
and IMO drafting a corner who is not a top LOCK down guy, and I mean lock down, is not going to shore up the weakness in our secondary. I don't see a guy with that ability worth it at 1.31 but, i can see some value in the 2nd

D Rock
02-13-2011, 11:21 PM

Sorry D, I think that's a bad idea. You're just taking the problem and putting a band aid on it. Here's what I think is the problem: Kemo is playing out of position, our RG is playing out of position.
Move KEMO to RG where he will not be out of position (I personally believe that Kemo cannot handle playing space the way a LG has to-- IE when the LT has to block a good outside speed rusher such as Suggs, but he could play well in limited space at RG where the RT doesn't have to open up as often)
Move Foster to back up tackle where he can be the top guy to back up both tackles.

I don't know nearly enough about line play to get into all that. That sure seems like moving a lot of people around though. If they are all that out of position, then why are they playing those spots in the first place?

Wouldn't the FO have taken care of things a bit more if it was really that far off?

birtikidis
02-13-2011, 11:31 PM
[quote="D Rock":2h0nzsgg]Maybe Kemo can be used as trade bait to move up in the first.

I don't know nearly enough about line play to get into all that. That sure seems like moving a lot of people around though. If they are all that out of position, then why are they playing those spots in the first place?

Wouldn't the FO have taken care of things a bit more if it was really that far off?[/quote:2h0nzsgg]
D, there is now way they could have foreseen both Max and Willie getting hurt. If they don't get hurt, you really only have ONE guy being moved. also, our line would be Max, Mike, Mo, Kemo and flo... so you'd really only be moving 2 guys.

birtikidis
02-13-2011, 11:32 PM
also, Urbik and any of our other guards didn't pan out.
but think about it...
Foster was a tackle...
Legs was a center
Essex was a tackle
Hills is a tackle
Scott is a tackle
Scott is a tackle
etc etc
all we have guard wise on the team right now is Kemo.

SteelCrazy
02-14-2011, 12:32 AM
The fact is Mike will not be there at 31 and if he is, he would have to be the best player available, in the Steelers eyes, before they'd take him. We have a winning formula when it comes to drafting and as much as we like to talk a big game in here, it doesnt change the fact the Steelers will draft whom they deem the best available or we wont pick him.

The Sodfather
02-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Assuming Starks is healthy RG is the spot they need to upgrade on the OL.

Nothing against Foster he is serviceable but a good depth guy is his best role IMO.

Oviedo
02-14-2011, 09:55 AM
I think we can get a decent young guy in the 2nd. I haven't given up on our rookie from last year or the 2nd year guy (Butler and Lewis). Maybe getting rid of Horton will help their development.

It won't matter who the secondary coach is if the scheme continues to require the CBs to play 10 yards off the WRs and chase them after they catch it. That is the fatal flaw and it is complicated by the fact that we have for years continued to draft CBs who are "zone guys" and not "man cover guys."

Everyone can keep taking solace in "the rankings" but what did the Packers WRs and QB think about our rankings. There needs to be modifications to the secondary both in scheme and the type of players we draft. The NFL has figured out the scheme and teams with good QBs can exploit it.

birtikidis
02-14-2011, 11:08 AM
well Ovi, in our scheme you can't keep Troy doing what he does now if you expect the guy to man up and not play zone. you can only have one or the other.

Oviedo
02-14-2011, 11:21 AM
well Ovi, in our scheme you can't keep Troy doing what he does now if you expect the guy to man up and not play zone. you can only have one or the other.

How much longer do you think Troy's body holds up? I have no doubt that they kept him in deep zone coverage because he couldn't run and do the things we want him to. Probably would be smart to keep him back a little more to keep him healthy because when he isn't it isn't the same defense.

birtikidis
02-14-2011, 12:00 PM

How much longer do you think Troy's body holds up? I have no doubt that they kept him in deep zone coverage because he couldn't run and do the things we want him to. Probably would be smart to keep him back a little more to keep him healthy because when he isn't it isn't the same defense.
Ovi, find me one season when we didn't put the safeties in the box. It's been a part of our scheme forever. Hey, when troy couldn't go in the box, Ryan did...

Shoe
02-14-2011, 01:03 PM
and IMO drafting a corner who is not a top LOCK down guy, and I mean lock down, is not going to shore up the weakness in our secondary. I don't see a guy with that ability worth it at 1.31 but, i can see some value in the 2nd

I agree. Unless you are can't miss, I don't like CB's in Round One. More often than not, they turn out to be "just another guy" types in a Defense (e.g. guys like Dunta Robinson, Marcus Trufant). I think we can do better.

I also agree that Pouncey doesn't last. He seems to be very similar to Maurkice (which sounds silly considering they're twins. But some twins don't have the same measurables.) If that is the case... and considering the accolades heaped on Maurkice this year, I can't see him slipping anywhere near 31.

I want Steve Wisniewski's kid or nephew. Stefen(?) is his name? Is it pronounced "Steph-en"? Or "Steven" spelled differently? That's a guy that we have a legit shot at getting, and would shore up our line some more.

Oviedo
02-14-2011, 01:12 PM

I agree. Unless you are can't miss, I don't like CB's in Round One. More often than not, they turn out to be "just another guy" types in a Defense (e.g. guys like Dunta Robinson, Marcus Trufant). I think we can do better.

I also agree that Pouncey doesn't last. He seems to be very similar to Maurkice (which sounds silly considering they're twins. But some twins don't have the same measurables.) If that is the case... and considering the accolades heaped on Maurkice this year, I can't see him slipping anywhere near 31.

I want Steve Wisniewski's kid or nephew. Stefen(?) is his name? Is it pronounced "Steph-en"? Or "Steven" spelled differently? That's a guy that we have a legit shot at getting, and would shore up our line some more.

I love Wisniewski but he has been projected to be a Center because of lack of height (don't really understand that). Multiple reports I have read don't see him as good a Guard as a Center. I'd still take the chance and let Kugler mold him.

feltdizz
02-14-2011, 01:45 PM

I love Wisniewski but he has been projected to be a Center because of lack of height (don't really understand that). Multiple reports I have read don't see him as good a Guard as a Center. I'd still take the chance and let Kugler mold him.

surprise.. a Penn State guy. LOL.

Seems like every year there is a PSU guy who would fit perfectly on our team.

feltdizz
02-14-2011, 01:49 PM
A handful of poor showings by our secondary and all of a sudden Corner is our most dire need. don't take into the fact that we have the #1 defense in the NFL and teams CAN'T run against us so ALL they can do is throw the ball. I don't know the last time a team was #1 across the board. Has it even happened?
yet, we have one of the worst red zone offenses, an inability to consistently run the ball (especially on short yardage situations) and the most sacked qb in the NFL over the last five years and people want to talk like our O-Line isn't our biggest problem.
Arians apologists say that our offense would be great with a better o-line
ben apologists say that our offense and our qb would be the best in the NFL if we had a better O-Line
Mendenhall apologists say that our RB would be a top rb in the NFL if it weren't for a ****ty o-line.
I've never heard anyone make excuses for our offensive line.. they're bad. they need upgraded. It's a much more dire situation the Corner.

I hear you but I think our secondary has been woeful against the better QB's for some time now.

The short yardage situations was in 2008. We don't have a short yardage problem anymore and I have no idea why people keep talking about how bad it is.
How bad was our protection this year? Sure we had a few problems early but half of the sacks are hot reads/blitzes that we didn't adjust to. Later in the year the OL wasn't a problem.

I think we will go BPA like usual.

The Sodfather
02-14-2011, 01:57 PM

I hope you don't mean in the first (#31).

You could likely get him in the 2nd and maybe even the third if you wanted him. Which I don't don't.

RuthlessBurgher
02-15-2011, 10:04 AM

surprise.. a Penn State guy. LOL.

Seems like every year there is a PSU guy who would fit perfectly on our team.

Jeremy Kapinos!!! :tt2 :tt1

hawaiiansteel
02-27-2011, 02:22 AM
Seeing Double

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/90/907713.jpg

Mike Pouncey winning national title (Getty Images)

By Jim Wexell
Publisher SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Feb 25, 2011

Mike Pouncey mirrors his twin brother Maurkice in every way. And he wants to play for the Steelers, but only if they can find a way to trade up to pick 18 or better.

INDIANAPOLIS – Ever see an offensive lineman with an entourage?

Meet Mike Pouncey, the guy walking away from his press conference with the gaggle of reporters, broadcasters, combine officials, and admirers in tow.

Pouncey has become something of a rock star of the OL-prospect set after his younger brother Maurkice made the Pro Bowl with the Pittsburgh Steelers last season.

Older by two minutes, Mike Pouncey arrived at the combine a year after his twin brother and showed the identical mannerisms and confidence that was so often displayed this past season by the Steelers’ Rookie of the Year.

Mike Pouncey told a throng of reporters from the podium Friday that he met with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and “had a real good meeting with the Steelers yesterday.” But Pouncey doesn’t think he’ll last until the Steelers pick 31st in the first round on April 28th.

“It’s not looking too good,” said Pouncey. “But there’s free agency in the NFL, so you never know.”

Getting to Pittsburgh down the road might be Mike Pouncey’s ideal, but it’s not what he wants now because, as a competitor, “I got to be drafted higher than Maurkice, 18 or better,” Mike said. “I’d never hear the end of it.”

The Steelers of course chose Maurkice 18th last year after he spent his junior season as the center at the University of Florida. Mike was the right guard that season, a year after they’d teamed up to help the Gators win a national championship. The pair led their prep team, Lakeland (Fla.) High, to three consecutive Class 5A state championships as well. Clearly, the Pounceys understand winning and it’s reflected in their confident natures. Mike’s was on display Friday afternoon.

* “They basically said we look the same on film. Some of the teams even said I look better,” Mike said of the scouting comparisons of the brothers.

* “I’m fluid with it now and confident with it. To this day, I’ll never take it for granted again,” he said of his oft-errant shotgun snapping.

* “There’s nothing negative about either one of us. On the field we play hard; off the field we’re lovable guys and people love being around us. We’re the total package,” he said when asked if scouts see any negatives.

Speaking of which, Mike was asked to name the most difficult aspect of the combine, and his confidence erupted once again.

“Getting up and meeting with coaches,” he said. “I’ve been very impressive to them, showing them I can get on the board and draw the defenses.”

To that end, Pouncey was asked if Steelers O-line coach Sean Kugler, in their meeting the previous day, did what he’d done with his brother on the grease board: draw plays, erase them, and have him re-draw them.

“He did the exact same thing,” Pouncey said.

And, how’d he do?

“Great,” Mike said with that unmistakable Pouncey smirk.

“They were very impressed. Every coach I met with was very impressed with what I did.”

The Steelers were probably impressed, but director of operations Kevin Colbert agrees with the senior Florida center that there’s little chance of him lasting until the 31st pick.

“I really can’t see it,” said Colbert, who believes Pouncey can play either guard or center in the NFL.

“I just got to get drafted first,” Mike Pouncey said. “I want to beat him at everything. We compete with each other with anything we do. I have to get into camp and I have to earn a starting spot and I have to play great, like he did.”

http://pit.scout.com/2/1051194.html

NJ-STEELER
02-27-2011, 02:59 PM

an above average OG would cost a lot less then a above average CB in free agency