PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Team Needs: Inside Linebacker

hawaiiansteel
02-13-2011, 01:00 AM
Steelers Team Needs: Inside Linebacker

February 11th, 2011

Now that the season is over it is time to start preparing for next year. The team had filled some major holes in last years draft by adding depth at Outside Linebacker and bringing in two new young Wide Receivers. This year there will be some more holes to fill. The Steelers will have the 31st pick and have 7 picks in this draft at this time. They may receive compensation picks for lost free agents. With those picks and with Free Agency here are the top 6 needs that should be filled:

Cornerback
Inside Linebacker
Guard
Defensive End
Offensive Tackle
Free Safety

Now on to Inside Linebacker:

Inside Linebacker was a strength this year for the Steelers. Lawrence Timmons was outstanding and James Farrior was the leader and tackler he always is. The Steelers also brought back Larry Foote for depth and drafted Stevenson Sylvester to see if he could play middle linebacker.

Sylvester looks like he has the instincts to play middle linebacker. He is always around the ball when he is on the field. His motor is always running and he is a huge asset on special teams. He also is very good on the blitz and can make some of Coach Tomlin’s splash plays. Sylvester is also still very young at 22 and has loads of potential. The key is if he can reach that potential.

The reason why ILB is a position of need is that James Farrior is 36 years old. He is no spring chicken. Farrior keeps himself in great shape and makes plays in the run game and does well on the blitz. He really shows his age in pass coverage. Teams that had great games against us were New England and Green Bay. They both use the spread offense and make the linebackers cover. Farrior becomes the weak link in these situations. He cannot keep up with the tight ends and has a hard time with quick backs out of the backfield. He also is expected to take away the seam which he is not able to do anymore.

That all being said I am hoping that Farrior can make it one more season to get either Sylvester ready to play or bring in someone in next years draft. This is not a strong Inside Linebacker class nor is it a strong Free Agency Pool for the position. There are only 2 guys that are young enough to spend money on in free agency and one is getting the franchise tag and the other is too injury prone though all of Pittsburgh will be clamoring for him to return home.

Free Agents

David Harris- Harris is being tagged by the Jets. This is a smart move by them. This would have been another great inside linebacker steal just like we had with Farrior. Harris is young and has already spent time with LaMarr Woodley as they were teammates at Michigan. Too bad he will not be available for the Steelers to make a good run at.

Paul Pozluszny- Paul is a hometown kid who all the locals will be screaming for when he hits free agency. Poz is a great player who would fit well in the Steelers scheme but he can’t stay healthy to save himself. If healthy he could be one of the best linebackers in the NFL. He is great at shedding blocks and is always around the play, he just is never on the field. If we could guarantee his health I would welcome him with open arms, but I can’t see the Steelers taking a chance on him otherwise.

As I said this is not a good Free Agent class, but the draft is not much better. There are more prospects but most are not as far along as Sylvester is already. Here are five to keep an eye on. These are not just the first tier guys but guys who could contribute on Special Teams as well.

Draft Prospects

Martez Wilson- Wilson is being compared to Lawrence Timmons in most of his draft hype. The only thing is that he is too comparable to Timmons in a sense that he will need 2 or 3 years before he is ready to be a full time starter due to how raw he is. Timmons is a better pass defender right now but Wilson does have one thing that Timmons can’t catch up to him with and that is size. Wilson is 6’4, 250 lbs and he looks like a tight end not a bulky inside linebacker. If Wilson is able to progress like Timmons that could be the scariest inside linebacker duo ever. That much speed with that much power. I would not be against taking Wilson since Farrior wants to play at least one more year anyway.

Greg Jones- Jones has taken a huge drop this season in his production and in his draft stock. Jones was thought to be the best middle linebacker heading into this season. He had one knock on him and that was that he was small. He only weighed around 22o lbs last season. When he arrived this season he weighed in at 240. This did not help Jones at all. He played slower and looked more sluggish. He still was not able to shed blocks as well as people would hope for and is now being looked at as a Sam Linebacker in a 4-3 as well. Jones may be able to prosper under Coach Butler since he has the ability but he is looking like he is going to have to fight his way to become that contributor that we are going to need.

Quan Sturdivant- Sturdivant has the same problem as Jones in the weight category. He only comes in at 232 but he is a thumper and he does not look like he weighs 232. Sturdivant had a rough season as all his friends and protection were suspended so he took a lot more punishment then he needed to this season. He still have a good year but not the one everyone was looking for, but if you lost 6 starters around you, you might have a hard time as well. He is a big risk, big reward type player who could be a steal at the end of the second round.

Casey Matthews- This kid is undersized and and not the speediest of players but he does have one thing that makes him valuable and that is that he has an extremely high football I.Q. He is always around the ball and is making plays. At his size he should not be able to make some of the plays he makes but he is smart enough to get leverage and be where he needs to be. He is also a Matthews so you can’t really vote against him. He will be a mid round prospect who can contribute at least on special teams right away.
Alex Wujciak- Those of you who have been reading this long enough know I can’t leave this kid out. I love the way he plays. He played on a bad team and they struggled but he still makes his 10 tackles a game and there is nothing fantastic about what he does but he is a tackling machine. He is ferocious and plays with an edge. He is always where the ball is. He is great at shedding blockers and he is becoming extinct in the NFL. People are worried about his speed. He has had a few knee surgeries and it may cost him in the end. Like I said he does not do anything flashy and everyone will pass on him and in 2 years he will be a solid contributor on a team and everyone will go wow I can’t believe we passed on him. He will be around in the late rounds and if he is whoever gets him will get a huge steal.

If the Steelers can make it one more year with Farrior and then look for a player next season there will be much more to choose from. Next years draft class is full of great Inside Linebackers. It should be the deepest position in the draft. It needs to be addressed one way or another soon though.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... er/4141747 (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_team_needs_inside_linebacker/4141747)

SteelCrazy
02-13-2011, 05:16 AM
With Foote as our ILB behind Farrior, it is one of my least worries this offseason, especially with our glaring needs on OL and DB. I'd even go as far as to say we are set at ILB. Yes, LB is always needed here, but our biggest worries lie elsewhere.

Discipline of Steel
02-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Ill whole-heartedly agree with you Craz. The author argued against himself saying Sly was already farther along than any draftee could be and he has loads of potential. Do I really need to add anything? OK, i still like Fox even though his bad play in the Super Bowl. Weve all made big mistakes in our lives, its not like he was making them all year long. Not as many splash plays this year but thats because we had 5 capable players at the position and he saw the field less. The only position we need less than ILB is QB.

phillyesq
02-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Even if Farrior retired this year, ILB isn't a pressing need. Foote would be fine playing next to Timmons, with Sylvester waiting in reserve. If Fox is retained, he's be further depth at the position; otherwise, teams can always find a reserve ILB cheap in free agency.

Oviedo
02-13-2011, 10:48 AM
We need to get another ILB late in the draft. Look at Bruce Miller, 6'2" 255lbs from UCF. The kid is a solid tackler, great quickness and has a non stop motor. Play DE/OLB at UCF and was Conference USA leader in sacks last couple of seasons. IMO he better fits inside

Chavezz
02-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Timmons/Sly

Farrior/Foote/Fox

I think we're fine there, at least not to the point that we need to use an early draft pick imo.

I think Sly is going to be a good one. I like what (little) I've seen from him.

Crash
02-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Our only "problem" at ILB is when Farrior is in pass coverage on 3rd down. He should not be out there.

"But Crash, he calls the defense".

Okay? And? Teach someone else to do it on 3rd down.

LeBeau is too loyal to Farrior, almost to a fault.

steelerkeylargo
02-13-2011, 02:17 PM
I would love to add this guy in the 3rd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMO_dMLo ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMO_dMLopkY&feature=related)

JPbucco
02-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Keyron Fox is solid also.

Oviedo
02-14-2011, 09:20 AM

I think Fox has earned a ticket out of town with the stupid penalties he has drawn all season long.

feltdizz
02-14-2011, 09:31 AM

I think Fox has earned a ticket out of town with the stupid penalties he has drawn all season long.

Fox stays... I like Tomlin but he has to do something about these late flags.

frankthetank1
02-14-2011, 10:16 AM

Fox stays... I like Tomlin but he has to do something about these late flags.

he does have to do something about the flags. that something will probably be releasing fox. he played well at ILB a couple years ago but this past season he was pathetic on st's

Oviedo
02-14-2011, 10:38 AM
We need to get another ILB late in the draft. Look at Bruce Miller, 6'2" 255lbs from UCF. The kid is a solid tackler, great quickness and has a non stop motor. Play DE/OLB at UCF and was Conference USA leader in sacks last couple of seasons. IMO he better fits inside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FABW6VvkrA

Northern_Blitz
02-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Even if Farrior retired this year, ILB isn't a pressing need. Foote would be fine playing next to Timmons, with Sylvester waiting in reserve. If Fox is retained, he's be further depth at the position; otherwise, teams can always find a reserve ILB cheap in free agency.

This.

If Farrier retires, we'll hold onto Fox and let Foot, Fox, & Sylvester fight it out for PT.

If JF stays, then we get rid of Fox, and have Foot / Sylvester behind him (and likely pick up a late rounder for depth / ST).

I'd put ILB pretty low on the priority list for the draft.

Oviedo
02-14-2011, 11:42 AM

This.

If Farrier retires, we'll hold onto Fox and let Foot, Fox, & Sylvester fight it out for PT.

If JF stays, then we get rid of Fox, and have Foot / Sylvester behind him (and likely pick up a late rounder for depth / ST).

I'd put ILB pretty low on the priority list for the draft.

One wildcard to consider is if Woodley leaves and Timmons gets moved outside. You then have an immediate need at ILB.

The Sodfather
02-14-2011, 01:15 PM
I believe the plan is to move Timmons to Farrior's spot and have Foote, SS or some unknown draft pick play the other side.

Timmons needs to be on the field on three downs no matter what.

Oviedo
02-14-2011, 01:19 PM
I believe the plan is to move Timmons to Farrior's spot and have Foote, SS or some unknown draft pick play the other side.

That is why I thought when they went to the dime and took Timmons off and put Madison on it was one of the stupidist move I've ever seen.

The Sodfather
02-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Putting another DB on is one thing but taking Timmons off instead of Farrior is another. That's what a lot of us message board schlubs don't understand.

Unless Timmons is as dumb as a brick I don't get it.

Chavezz
02-14-2011, 09:12 PM

Agree.

I LOVE Woodley but Timmons can be a bigger impact imo.

pfelix73
02-15-2011, 12:41 PM
I would not be surprised if Fox is let go. There has been some talk on local radio stations that he is falling out of favor with the coaching staff.

I think we need to pick up an ILB somewhere in the draft. The Matthews kid would be a nice pickup if we got him in one of the later rounds. His name recognition alone may move him up a few spots, however. With that pedigree, why not take him if he's there in say the 4th or 5th round?

I think we'll draft defense early and often.. For another offensive weapon, I'd take Dwayne Harris from my Alma mater somewhere in the middle rounds as well. He is one heck of an athlete- just like C. Johnson is...

:tt1

Oviedo
02-15-2011, 12:51 PM
I would not be surprised if Fox is let go. There has been some talk on local radio stations that he is falling out of favor with the coaching staff.

I think we need to pick up an ILB somewhere in the draft. The Matthews kid would be a nice pickup if we got him in one of the later rounds. His name recognition alone may move him up a few spots, however. With that pedigree, why not take him if he's there in say the 4th or 5th round?

I think we'll draft defense early and often.. For another offensive weapon, I'd take Dwayne Harris from my Alma mater somewhere in the middle rounds as well. He is one heck of an athlete- just like C. Johnson is...

:tt1

Like I said in another thread, Matthews has the name but not the game. He got pushed around pretty easily in the all star game and the practices leading up to it.

THere are lots of better options than Matthews. He is no better than a 7th Round-UDFA.

hawaiiansteel
02-19-2011, 02:48 AM
Harris: Questions linger at linebacker

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, February 19, 2011

There's a first time for everything.

Who thought the Steelers would have a $100 million quarterback?

Or a $50 million linebacker?

How about two $50 million linebackers?

Do I hear three?

James Harrison is the highest-paid linebacker in Steelers history. LaMarr Woodley, whom the Steelers designated Friday as their franchise player, may be about to join Harrison. And don't forget that a year from now Lawrence Timmons will be waiting his turn at the negotiating table.

That would be a lot of money to invest at one position and a major shift in philosophy for the Steelers.

The front office may consider their linebackers so important to the team's success that they're willing to extend the budget to keep all of them.

Having three talented linebackers in their prime is a nice problem to have. Unless, of course, you're signing the checks.

Harrison agreed to a five-year, $51.75 million contract two years ago that includes $20 million guaranteed and a $10 million signing bonus. He's due to earn $3.66 million in salary, plus a $900,000 roster bonus in 2011.

Woodley, an outside linebacker, has been waiting for the Steelers to take care of him since last summer. Getting the franchise tag is a start, as he is due about $10 million next season. Players who are franchised receive the average of the top five salaries at their position or 120 percent of their player's 2010 salary, whichever is greater

The Steelers also could try to Woodley to a long-term contract.

Even if Woodley doesn't command Harrison-type dollars, a signing bonus of at least $8 million isn't out of the question.

That's potentially $18 million in signing bonuses — guaranteed money — for Harrison and Woodley.

The total doesn't include what Timmons, the Steelers' leading tackler and best linebacker in pass coverage, could receive when his rookie contract expires after next season. Ring up another $10 million in a signing bonus for Timmons.

Can the Steelers afford to keep Harrison, Woodley and Timmons happy financially?

"I'm sure they're not going to pay three linebackers $8 million a year (apiece),'' said veteran sports agent Joe Linta, who represents Steelers offensive lineman Willie Colon and is familiar with how the team operates. "They're going to have to make a decision.''

Maybe the Steelers can convince Woodley to agree to a salary-cap friendly deal, less than Harrison's but enough to satisfy Woodley's ego. Another option could be to pay Woodley the one-year franchise tag while buying time to decide who to pay long-term, Woodley or Timmons.

Harrison? Even though he's older than Woodley and Timmons, Harrison is a special player and a team favorite. He has a job with the Steelers for as long as he wants.

The Steelers don't mind paying big money to their linebackers. They took care of Joey Porter for years, and they're taking care of Harrison now.

However, if the Steelers reward Woodley with a contract befitting one of the NFL's elite pass rushers, they'll break tradition, with two of their linebackers earning major dollars and facing the possibility of having to pay Timmons even more money in another year.

Is Woodley worth it? Yes. He's a great pass rusher, but the Steelers already have a great pass rusher in Harrison.

They also have Jason Worilds, another pass-rushing outside linebacker who was a second-round draft pick in 2010. Sooner or later, the Steelers need to find out if Worilds can play.

If Worilds is a player, someone has to go because the Steelers can't possibly pay top dollar for so many outside linebackers.

If money is an issue — it usually is with the Steelers — Worilds is cheaper to keep than Woodley.

Just like Harrison was cheaper to keep than Porter.

Timmons may be more valuable than Woodley because he plays inside linebacker and has the versatility to replace safeties Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark in certain packages.

Fellow inside linebacker James Farrior, who calls defensive signals, turned 36 in January. Because of Farrior's age, the Steelers may be more reluctant to lose Timmons than Woodley.

Or — surprise, surprise — maybe they'll decide to pay Harrison, Woodley and Timmons and cut back on salary at other positions they don't consider as important as linebacker.

Based on the Steelers' decision to franchise Woodley, there's a first time for everything.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1ENg8ANuq (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_723693.html#ixzz1ENg8ANuq)

Shawn
02-19-2011, 03:18 AM

And we have a winner. Fox is the most underrated player on our D. I can't understand how he hasn't beaten out Farrior. Fox is very good in coverage and run support. He hits hard, he is physical, can run sideline to sideline. I like the guys game alot. I don't know why he would be falling out of favor with coaches.

hawaiiansteel
02-20-2011, 01:41 AM
here are the FAs available this year at the ILB position:

Inside/middle linebackers

With the Packers extending Desmond Bishop and the Jets franchising David Harris, this group lost some luster. Barrett Ruud had on-and-off contract talks with the Bucs for the past few years but was never able to strike a deal in that Bart Scott/$9-million a year range. He'll take his chances on the open market if he gets there. Injuries robbed Stewart Bradley and Omar Gaither of the Eagles of full seasons in recent years. The 49ers could like to retain veteran leader Takeo Spikes.

Inside linebackers (3-4 defense):

» Akin Ayodele, Bills
» H.B. Blades, Redskins
» Kevin Burnett, Chargers
» Bobby Carpenter, Lions
» Stephen Cooper, Chargers
» Keith Ellison, Bills
» Keyaron Fox, Steelers
» David Harris (franchise), Jets
» D'Qwell Jackson, Browns
» Lance Laury, Jets
» Rocky McIntosh, Redskins
» Paul Posluszny, Bills
» Brandon Siler, Chargers
» Takeo Spikes, 49ers
» Tracy White, Patriots
» Leon Williams, Cowboys

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... ule=HP_cp2 (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e58b27/article/cba-or-no-cba-teams-still-preparing-for-freeagency-market?module=HP_cp2)

Oviedo
02-20-2011, 11:02 AM
here are the FAs available this year at the ILB position:

Inside/middle linebackers

With the Packers extending Desmond Bishop and the Jets franchising David Harris, this group lost some luster. Barrett Ruud had on-and-off contract talks with the Bucs for the past few years but was never able to strike a deal in that Bart Scott/$9-million a year range. He'll take his chances on the open market if he gets there. Injuries robbed Stewart Bradley and Omar Gaither of the Eagles of full seasons in recent years. The 49ers could like to retain veteran leader Takeo Spikes.

Inside linebackers (3-4 defense):

» Akin Ayodele, Bills
» H.B. Blades, Redskins
» Kevin Burnett, Chargers
» Bobby Carpenter, Lions
» Stephen Cooper, Chargers
» Keith Ellison, Bills
» Keyaron Fox, Steelers
» David Harris (franchise), Jets
» D'Qwell Jackson, Browns
» Lance Laury, Jets
» Rocky McIntosh, Redskins
» Paul Posluszny, Bills
» Brandon Siler, Chargers
» Takeo Spikes, 49ers
» Tracy White, Patriots
» Leon Williams, Cowboys

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... ule=HP_cp2 (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e58b27/article/cba-or-no-cba-teams-still-preparing-for-freeagency-market?module=HP_cp2)

I'm stunned we don't have people falling all over themselves to sign "The Poz." C'mon Posluszny is the second coming of Jack Lambert, Jack Ham and Andy Russell all rolled into one isn't he?????

We made that big mistake of getting that Timmons guy.

hawaiiansteel
02-21-2011, 01:32 AM
I'm stunned we don't have people falling all over themselves to sign "The Poz." C'mon Posluszny is the second coming of Jack Lambert, Jack Ham and Andy Russell all rolled into one isn't he?????

Paul Posluszny

Projected Contract: 4.5 Million per year for 5 years.

Analysis: On this current team, Posluszny is a backup. Kind of crazy to think about since he had 151 tackles last year (the 3rd most in the NFL) in only 14 games. He would be Farrior's obvious replacement, but with the rise of Sylvester, he may not be needed. If we didn't have Farrior, I would make this signing in a heartbeat, but I don't know how Posluszny takes a bench job after the season he had.

Conclusion: Don't sign. It would be worth it to have him at that contract, but he won't sign to be a backup, and Farrior is still a starter in this league.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... ers-better

Crash
02-21-2011, 01:39 AM
Smith, Farrior, and Hampton IMO will be gone after one more season, and possibly Troy if he;s hurt again. That's four older guys make huge money. Larry Foote and ARE are making huge money for their backup roles also. That's at least 5 players who don't have long term futures even if Troy stays.

The money to pay those three LBs will be there and it shouldn't upset their salary structure, they just have to want to do it.

NJ-STEELER
02-21-2011, 03:09 PM
i dont see where timmons has earned a contract at the level of woodley and harrsison.
not yet, anyway.

and when they do re up timmons, harrison will be coming off the books... sooner then later with his age

Dee Dub
02-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Personally I would stay away from Martez Wilson. He is shooting up the boards based on his physical ability. On the field he really wasn’t all that productive.

I think I would rather take a flyer on Colin McCarthy of the U. A very high motor guy who really turned some heads at the Senior Bowl.

Oviedo
02-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Personally I would stay away from Martez Wilson. He is shooting up the boards based on his physical ability. On the field he really wasn’t all that productive.

I think I would rather take a flyer on Clin McCarthy of the U. A very high motor guy who really turned some heads at the Senior Bowl.

I've heard Nate Irving's name mentioned alot lately and saw one Mock with us taking him. Anyone know anything about him?????

grotonsteel
02-21-2011, 08:35 PM

Agree.

I LOVE Woodley but Timmons can be a bigger impact imo.

:Agree

grotonsteel
02-21-2011, 08:55 PM

I think I would rather take a flyer on Clin McCarthy of the U. A very high motor guy who really turned some heads at the Senior Bowl.

I've heard Nate Irving's name mentioned alot lately and saw one Mock with us taking him. Anyone know anything about him?????

"Nate Irving, NC State-great story actually, he was in a bad car accident and missed all of 2009. He had a collapsed lung, broken ribs, separated shoulder, and compound fracture in his leg. He started working to come back in late 2009. He ended 2010 with 93 tackles (led team) and 19.5 tackles for loss (4th nationally)."

Sophomore Nate Irving highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otgKKqUcWhU

RuthlessBurgher
02-22-2011, 11:11 AM
i dont see where timmons has earned a contract at the level of woodley and harrsison.
not yet, anyway.

and when they do re up timmons, harrison will be coming off the books... sooner then later with his age

Timmons is entering the last year of his rookie deal in 2011. Under normal circumstances, we would be trying to negotiate a long-term extension with him right now (of course, with no CBA, these are anything but normal circumstances).

Harrison has 4 more seasons left on his contract. He won't be a free agent until 2015. He's not coming off the books when it is time to re-up Timmons.

NJ-STEELER
02-23-2011, 12:57 AM
i should have said when the big money in timmons' contract (or if he gets big $$) kicks in, debo's may be coming off the books.

love Jimmy, but he'll be 33 in may and has a young 2nd rd pick behind him. i dont think he's going to see the end of that contract

The Sodfather
02-23-2011, 07:39 AM
i should have said when the big money in timmons' contract (or if he gets big $$) kicks in, debo's may be coming off the books.

love Jimmy, but he'll be 33 in may and has a young 2nd rd pick behind him. i dont think he's going to see the end of that contract

Exactly

Which is why this Worilds should replace Woodley" talk is utter crap. JW was clearly drafted to eventually replace Harrison.

Oviedo
02-23-2011, 09:14 AM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":35d1zp1j]i should have said when the big money in timmons' contract (or if he gets big $$) kicks in, debo's may be coming off the books.

Exactly

Which is why this Worilds should replace Woodley" talk is utter crap. JW was clearly drafted to eventually replace Harrison.[/quote:35d1zp1j]

I think that Harrison will not be here for the full 4 years he has remaining on his contract. In two more years he will be 35 and while he may be able to still do it I think they will part ways with him or he will have to take a pay cut to stay.

I love the guy (in a fan sense) and think he is one the best players in the league but everyone moves on eventually. The front office will know the right time so not to lose promising young players.

NJ-STEELER
02-24-2011, 02:23 AM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":3fw684zp]i should have said when the big money in timmons' contract (or if he gets big $$) kicks in, debo's may be coming off the books.

Exactly

Which is why this Worilds should replace Woodley" talk is utter crap. JW was clearly drafted to eventually replace Harrison.[/quote:3fw684zp]

when worilds came in to play the last quarter of the dolphin game, i think people forgot that he played the pre season predominately at the ROLB spot