PDA

View Full Version : Redman's Contributions in Post Season Shouldn't Go Unnoticed

SteelCrazy
02-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Former Bowie State running back Isaac Redman has helped the Pittsburgh Steelers all season long. He came through again in last Sunday’s Super Bowl.

Redman had two carries for 19 yards, both of which set up a Pittsburgh touchdown and added a kickoff return but it wasn’t enough as the Green Bay Packers handed the Steelers a 31-25 defeat in Super Bowl XLV in Dallas.

Redman, the all-time top rusher at Bowie State, has slowly grown into a good back-up running back that the Steelers can depend upon in certain situations. Coach Mike Tomlin turned to him in the second half as Pittsburgh tried to rally from an 18-point first-half deficit.

The former Bowie State back’s work began on the first drive of the third quarter. He got three yards on one carry and then, moments later, Redman bounced outside and got free for a 16-yard run to the Green Bay 8-yard line.

That run sets up Rashard Mendenhall’s 8-yard touchdown on the following play, a score that sliced the Green Bay lead to 21-17.

Pittsburgh still kept rallying after the Packers stretched the lead to 28-17. The Steelers cut it to 28-25 before Green Bay added a Mason Crosby field goal with 2:07 left.

Crosby’s ensuing kickoff came to Redman, who returned it 12 yards. But the Steelers couldn’t move the ball downfield, and Green Bay hung on for its fourth Super Bowl championship.

Redman ran for 247 yards during the regular season. He added 50 yards on seven carries in post-season play for an impressive 7.1 yards per carry. Redman was still averaging over six yards per carry coming into the Super Bowl.

After spending much of last year on the practice squad, Redman gave the Steelers a good extra running back that helped their offense and ran well in the “red zone.” He’s certainly shown he can run in the NFL, and if Pittsburgh doesn’t want to keep him, someone else would certainly have interest.

http://bowie.patch.com/articles/redmans ... -unnoticed (http://bowie.patch.com/articles/redmans-contributions-in-post-season-shouldnt-go-unnoticed)

feltdizz
02-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Redman is severely underutilized. He should have 10 touches a game.

I don't understand how a guy comes in and gets 7 to 10 yards a pop when it isn't short yardage and then never touches it again.

*I know it isn't 7 to 10 yards but it sure seems like every time Redman gets a touch when it isn't 3rd and 1 he gets a good 4 to 5 yards or gets to the second level.

SteelCrazy
02-12-2011, 05:44 PM

I don't understand how a guy comes in and gets 7 to 10 yards a pop when it isn't short yardage and then never touches it again.

*I know it isn't 7 to 10 yards but it sure seems like every time Redman gets a touch when it isn't 3rd and 1 he gets a good 4 to 5 yards or gets to the second level.

Yea, I know and that is very hard to go unnoticed. I was thinking the same thing about him needing more touches and have said so before the playoffs began.

feltdizz
02-12-2011, 05:57 PM

Yea, I know and that is very hard to go unnoticed. I was thinking the same thing about him needing more touches and have said so before the playoffs began.

Sometimes I wonder about our FO and our coaches... LOL. It sure seems like the young guys who make plays have a hard time getting reps in the game.

Brown made plays just about everytime he suited up... but he only played in 4 or 5 games.

Redman should have made the team 2 years ago and we kept Carey Davis and Frank Summers. WTF?

What are these guys not doing in practice and is it really that bad given their contributions on game day?

BradshawsHairdresser
02-12-2011, 09:29 PM

$$$$
When I read the title, my first thought was exactly what you wrote in your first sentence:
"Redman is severely underutilized."

The Steelers may well let Mewelde Moore go. That should translate into more touches for Redman. Mendy stays in on most 3rd downs, but Redman should get more carries on other downs.

I say "should." The way BA ignored Redman for lengthy stretches, you never know.

NC Steeler Fan
02-12-2011, 09:42 PM
I agree it would be huge mistake to continue to under utilize Redman or let him go.

Is there any reason we can't keep Mendy, Moore and Redman? Moore has decent hands and I wonder how Redman would do in passing plays too?

Crash
02-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Moore will probably go. Isaac should get that role.

Steelerphile
02-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Despite looking slow he still manages to be effective. He has great instincts and is hard to tackle. What he needs is a speed coach. If he can add a step of speed he will be a super-sub.

NorthCoast
02-13-2011, 09:52 AM
The coaches can't be that stupid to ignore what they see in games. There must be another part to this story. Maybe during practices they are still missing their assignments? For a WR, that can be a deadly result with easy picks by the defense. For a RB, I don't know how you can miss a play, unless Redman is clueless when it comes to blitz pickup?

phillyesq
02-13-2011, 10:13 AM
The coaches can't be that stupid to ignore what they see in games. There must be another part to this story. Maybe during practices they are still missing their assignments? For a WR, that can be a deadly result with easy picks by the defense. For a RB, I don't know how you can miss a play, unless Redman is clueless when it comes to blitz pickup?

From what I saw this year, Redman looked fine in blitz pickup, much better than Moore. If I recall, one of the blogs (either Steelerslounge or Steelersdepot) broke down Moore and Redman as pass blockers at one point, and Redman came out much higher.

I like Redman as a compliment to Mendenhall. He doesn't dance -- he just hits the hole and goes. I think the reason he doesn't get as many touches is simply because the coaching staff likes Mendenhall more and finds him a superior talent.

Especially after this year's deep playoff run, I'd like to see Redman used to spell Mendenhall more next year. Especially in games where you see Mendenhall with carriers in the mid twenties or higher, I'd like to see some of those touches given to Redman.

Starlifter
02-13-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm not so sure about moore. we haven't seen many displays of redmans catching and route running abilities. If I had to pick mwelde's greatest strength I think it's his YAC, particularly after a swing/screen pass. If Redman can be an effective short yardage receiver then yes, we may let moore go. As it stands right now though, the 3 we have are a nice combination.

aggiebones
02-13-2011, 12:31 PM
As for Brown, it is well known that he needs t ofigure some stuff out to be a good WR we can count on. He made a few plays late in the year...2.
One was a bomb, not exactly a discipline issue. And he ran across the field to catch an important 3rd down. But alot goes into being an every down guy and he's likely not ready. Hopefully he gets some nuances in the offseason.

Redman, should have more plays, but Mendy is a far superior complete back. Redman rarely hurts us. Frankly, EVERY time that Mendy dances in abad way, I'd put in Redman for a few plays. I liked what Moore brought to the table, but I agree that his time is done. He's expensive and replaceable. Maybe soon we'll draft another slighter 3rd down scat guy that can split out when needed.

Chavezz
02-13-2011, 12:34 PM
I've said it all year. If Redman received as many carries as Mendenhall, I feel that their end of year numbers would be a lot closer than what many people would think.

I think Rashard is more apt to break out a long run that can inflate is YPC where Redman would have a more consistent run average. This is nothing against Mendenhall by the way, our line isn't very good and he takes a pounding but if they split the carries a little more, hell, even a 70/30 split I think it makes both of them and the team better.

Moore can go. We don't need the vet presence at RB next year. Sign a legit full back in his place.

Rashard and Redman?

R & R Railroad? Let's get that TRAIN RUNNING!

I can't believe that this is the 1st week of the offseason. I might die.

Crash
02-13-2011, 01:16 PM
There is another story. Mewelde is Tomlin's boy. That's why he was signed and thats why he plays.

But now he's a free agent. I don't expect him back.

So Mendy has to be a three down player and Redman has to be the backup unless they sign or draft another RB.

Chavezz
02-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Don't forget about dwyer too. I know he was a late rd pick but he is still on the roster.

phillyesq
02-13-2011, 05:34 PM
There is another story. Mewelde is Tomlin's boy. That's why he was signed and thats why he plays.

So Mendy has to be a three down player and Redman has to be the backup unless they sign or draft another RB.

Yup, he was in MN when Tomlin was there.

Mewelde is versatile, but at this stage, he does nothing particularly well. At times, he still runs more effectively than I would expect, but that is about the best I can say about him. I know that Tomlin loves veterans he feels are "safe," as evidenced by guys like Moore and ARE returning punts the past few years. I think now that the Steelers would be best served by moving in a different direction.

I appreciate his contributions -- in 2008, he did a nice job as an injury replacement. However, I'd like to see him replaced in the third down role by somebody who is more of a threat.

NorthCoast
02-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Perhaps another reason Mendenhall receives the majority of carries is the perception that he can/will take it to the house on any given play. I don't think anyone expects the same from Redman. kinda like Barry Sanders; will you accept a string of carries for minimal gain for the chance that the next carry goes all the way? Mendenhall certainly improved as the season ended but it has been some time since he has had a break-away that change a game.

Redman deserves more carries, but the coaches seem hesitant.

The Sodfather
02-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Redmen took some of Moore's 3rd down duties as the season progressed too.

I'd say the handwriting is on the wall for Mr. Moore.

frankthetank1
02-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Redmen took some of Moore's 3rd down duties as the season progressed too.

I'd say the handwriting is on the wall for Mr. Moore.

i think you are right. redman can be every bit of the rb moore is. i hope dwyer progresses. we should be fine next season with mendy, redman and dwyer

snarky
02-14-2011, 10:23 AM
I would say that simply because a guy did well this year, it doesn't necessarily mean he was underutilized over the previous seasons. He may have simply not been ready. We won't ever know.

As for Moore, he's been serviceable and has contributed some plays but I agree that we should move on. Not sure about Redman's hands (though his TD against Baltimore was beast mode) -- but Moore started to look weak this year.

And I'm not quite sure I understand this business about Moore playing simply because he is Tomlin's boy. Case in point, I seem to remember a game against Baltimore where Moore was our only back and he made some huge plays. He's no world beater but the guy contributed and earned his roster spot. In a pinch I would still have him back, but no doubt we are in a position to upgrade.

Oviedo
02-14-2011, 10:42 AM
We need Dwyer to establish himself as the #2. It will prolong Mendenhall's career.

Shoe
02-14-2011, 12:55 PM
You guys are idiots... the coaches aren't ignoring him. The fact that they give him the goalline carries speaks a lot to how they feel about him as a football player. Fumblehall is a 225 lb back that could handle the role just fine... they just choose to utilize Redman, which tells you that they like him a lot and want to utilize him.

It's frankly hard to find opportunities for him with a young guy like Fumblehall in front of him. Redman is still finding his way as an NFL player too. His rookie year, he was unable to translate his preseason success into a roster spot--prolly cuz he couldn't do anything but run the ball. This year, he probably had to show the coaches he had gotten smarter/better in catching the ball, blitz pickup, and the like.

I want the guy to stay. There's nothing like another homegrown, late round/FA type guy that you can be proud of. And of course, everyone knows you need TWO guys at RB in case the first guy (Fumblehall) gets hurt. But he has to establish that, whether it be as the Mewelde Moore, 3rd down back. (In which case, blitz pickup/catching the ball.) OR--become more of the FB type.

feltdizz
02-14-2011, 01:52 PM
You guys are idiots... the coaches aren't ignoring him. The fact that they give him the goalline carries speaks a lot to how they feel about him as a football player. Fumblehall is a 225 lb back that could handle the role just fine... they just choose to utilize Redman, which tells you that they like him a lot and want to utilize him.

It's frankly hard to find opportunities for him with a young guy like Fumblehall in front of him. Redman is still finding his way as an NFL player too. His rookie year, he was unable to translate his preseason success into a roster spot--prolly cuz he couldn't do anything but run the ball. This year, he probably had to show the coaches he had gotten smarter/better in catching the ball, blitz pickup, and the like.

I want the guy to stay. There's nothing like another homegrown, late round/FA type guy that you can be proud of. And of course, everyone knows you need TWO guys at RB in case the first guy (Fumblehall) gets hurt. But he has to establish that, whether it be as the Mewelde Moore, 3rd down back. (In which case, blitz pickup/catching the ball.) OR--become more of the FB type.

This year Redman made so many plays it wasn't even funny.... it made no sense to give him 2 touches a game and the occasional 3rd and 1.

The Baltimore game did it for me. I seriously doubt Moore gets in at the GL. That was a play he wasn't even supposed to be in on.

The coaches are being a little too patient with Redman.

SteelCrazy
02-14-2011, 03:37 PM

I wouldnt call anyone on here an idiot (mostly beause I'd be calling myself one) but the guy is right that it showed a lot of trust from the coaches for Redman to get those carries he got.

feltdizz
02-14-2011, 05:02 PM

I wouldnt call anyone on here an idiot (mostly beause I'd be calling myself one) but the guy is right that it showed a lot of trust from the coaches for Redman to get those carries he got.

It's football... give the next guy with the best chance of getting yards the ball and keep it moving.

It's not that serious. Some people act like Redman had 2 left feet and one eye... the guy has shown the ability to get tough yards and break tackles that Mendenhall tries to run around. I'm not knocking Mendenhall but there are more than enough touches to go around in a 16 game season.

Redman needs more

SteelCrazy
02-14-2011, 05:41 PM

It's football... give the next guy with the best chance of getting yards the ball and keep it moving.

It's not that serious. Some people act like Redman had 2 left feet and one eye... the guy has shown the ability to get tough yards and break tackles that Mendenhall tries to run around. I'm not knocking Mendenhall but there are more than enough touches to go around in a 16 game season.

Redman needs more

Im all for getting Redman more carries but there are only so many to go around, esp. with Arians air attack :stirpot but really will Moore be gone? Does Mendy, Redman and Dwyer hold enough experience in Tomlins eyes to getrid of a vet?

Chavezz
02-14-2011, 09:10 PM

Something else to remember is that at one point in training camp Redman's rookie year he made a comment to a reporter about it being "Camp Cupcake". Tomlin was told about and made an irritated comment (I wish I could find the story). The next preseason game redman had a few carries back to back and then had a longer one. He tried to come off the field after the play but Tomlin waived him back on and ran him a couple more times.

When Redman came off the field Tomlin got up in his facemask and had a few choice words.

I HOPE that this isn't still the reason that's limiting his opportunities. Tomlin doesn't strike me as a "once in my doghouse, always in my doghouse" kinda guy.

Snatch98
02-15-2011, 01:25 AM

Is he as productive over the course of those 10 touches? He comes in and does what he's asked to do and does a great job. Give Redman 20 touches and Mendenhall 20 touches and I'd wager Mendenhall does more with the opportunities provided. Redman is certianly solid but I doubt he's as productive if given more carries.

feltdizz
02-15-2011, 09:37 AM

Is he as productive over the course of those 10 touches? He comes in and does what he's asked to do and does a great job. Give Redman 20 touches and Mendenhall 20 touches and I'd wager Mendenhall does more with the opportunities provided. Redman is certianly solid but I doubt he's as productive if given more carries.

I'm not so sure of that... Mendenhall has the homerun ability but Redman gets the hard 4 damn near everytime he touches the ball. Do you really think Redman's production would drop off significantly if given more opportunities? I doubt it.

I don't want Redman to get 20 touches... 10 a game would be nice.

Redman had 59 touches for 297, 5 ypc... and people knew he was running on 75% of those carries.

Those numbers are ridiculous. Those numbers should double or triple next year. I know his average will dip a bit but the guy makes plays and doesn't bulls##t in the hole.

Stewie
02-16-2011, 08:15 AM

I'm not so sure of that... Mendenhall has the homerun ability but Redman gets the hard 4 damn near everytime he touches the ball. Do you really think Redman's production would drop off significantly if given more opportunities? I doubt it.

I don't want Redman to get 20 touches... 10 a game would be nice.

Redman had 59 touches for 297, 5 ypc... and people knew he was running on 75% of those carries.

Those numbers are ridiculous. Those numbers should double or triple next year. I know his average will dip a bit but the guy makes plays and doesn't bulls##t in the hole.

I agree 10-15 and no bs in the hole, but I would like to see Redman get touches on 1st down, when the universe doesn't know he's going to get the ball.