PDA

View Full Version : Woodley Expects Steelers To Franchise Tag Him Soon

hawaiiansteel
02-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Woodley Expects Franchise Tag

February 10th, 2011

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZzSeX2ctOaA/SXSO8MHbGmI/AAAAAAAACc4/KsA4v0xws7U/s400/woodleyafc.jpg

Steelers Linebacker LaMarr Woodley is fully expecting to have the Franchise Tag placed on him in the upcoming weeks. Woodley is one of our best defenders and is also one of our younger defensive players. This will give the Steelers more time to work out a long term deal with Woodley.

Woodley has been one of the most productive Linebackers in the NFL. He has had 35 sacks over the past 3 seasons which places him fourth in the NFL since that time. He is also one of 5 players to record 10 plus sacks in each of those seasons. On that list with him is his teammate James Harrison. Woodley also still has his Post Season Sack streak still alive after recording another sack in the Super Bowl. That gives him a sack in 7 consecutive games and runs his total up to 11. Woodley is a player you can not let get away and Steelers are making the right decision to put the Franchise Tag on him.

In this case the Franchise Tag is actually going to help Woodley. He only made $550,000 last season. With the 30% rule in place due to no CBA the most Woodley could have been given in a raise was another $165,000, which would have only brought him to just over seven hundred thousand dollars.

Now receiving the Franchise Tag he will make anywhere between $10 and $13 million. It will be up in the air because Woodley is the same kind of Hybrid the Terrell Suggs is for the Ravens. So the Ravens basically split the tag down the middle to give Suggs a better figure. Linebackers get 10 million under the tag and defensive ends get 13. Somewhere in the middle should be just fine for Woodley.

The other loop hole in this situation is when Woodley is franchised he will now be able to go after that new deal. He is now making over 10 million so he can begin true negotiations as soon as the ink dries on the paper from him placing his John Hancock at the bottom. The Steelers still will probably wait until the NFL has a new CBA to make the deal to make sure Woodley is paid correctly but at least they will now have the ability to get Woodley some of the money he deserves.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2011/ ... chise-tag/ (http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2011/02/10/woodley-expects-franchise-tag/)

Mister Pittsburgh
02-11-2011, 07:59 AM
This is good news! I don't want the woodshed going anywhere. Dude is a Steeler through and through and as a fan, I appreciate the way he has handled this whole fiasco. No complaining at all and put the team first the entire season. He deserves to get paid like a top tier LB!

:tt2

frankthetank1
02-11-2011, 08:55 AM
i would expect the steelers to franchise woodley and re-sign ike. cant let either of those two get away. we have no one to replace them

steelblood
02-11-2011, 09:16 AM
He is a great player. But, he isn't worth 11 or 12 million per season.

SidSmythe
02-11-2011, 09:22 AM

:Agree
Woodley is one of those guys you want on your team, but he's not dominant like SUGGS.

Oviedo
02-11-2011, 09:35 AM

Woodley is one of those guys you want on your team, but he's not dominant like SUGGS.

I also agree and I'd be concerned paying him that much because he is so streaky. He vanishes for multiple games and then explodes in a couple.

The Sodfather
02-11-2011, 11:15 AM

Woodley doesn't have the good fortune of going up against Jon Scott in game action.

RuthlessBurgher
02-11-2011, 11:26 AM

Terrell Suggs has been in the league twice as long as Woodley. And yet they both have 3 seasons of double digit sacks on their resume. The only season Woodley did not have double digit sacks is when he was a rookie (and Clark #&@%ing Haggans was still starting for some reason). Meanwhile, Suggs had 5 straight seasons from 2005-2009 with single digit sacks. But Suggs is dominant and Woodley is not? I'll take the guy with 39 sacks in 60 games over the guy with 68.5 sacks in 125 games, but that's just me.

Oviedo
02-11-2011, 11:38 AM

Terrell Suggs has been in the league twice as long as Woodley. And yet they both have 3 seasons of double digit sacks on their resume. The only season Woodley did not have double digit sacks is when he was a rookie (and Clark #&@%ing Haggans was still starting for some reason). Meanwhile, Suggs had 5 straight seasons from 2005-2009 with single digit sacks. But Suggs is dominant and Woodley is not? I'll take the guy with 39 sacks in 60 games over the guy with 68.5 sacks in 125 games, but that's just me.

I'll take Woodley too, but at what price???????????

calmkiller
02-11-2011, 11:46 AM
I am not sure why they would tag him. He will be a RFA because he hasn't been in the league for 6 years. And since it doesnt look like there will be a new CBA anytime soon it would be a waste of money. Also there is no guarantee that there will even be a FT if there is a new CBA.

williar
02-11-2011, 11:57 AM
I love the Wood too. I'm just not that sold on him being a dominant, franchise player. He has his moments, but I have yet to see him dominate a game on defense. Super bowl XLV would have been a perfect opportunity for him to show some of that mettle, but he couldn't even take advantage of the rookie Bulaga. I'm sure the FO will make the right decision.

SidSmythe
02-11-2011, 12:12 PM
My main concern with WOODLEY is that a bulk of his sacks (w/ the exception of the playoffs when he becomes an animal) come against TE's or RB mismatches.

He's average in pass coverage and just SOLID against the RUN. Some games you don't even realize he's in the game

BradshawsHairdresser
02-11-2011, 12:25 PM
My main concern with WOODLEY is that a bulk of his sacks (w/ the exception of the playoffs when he becomes an animal) come against TE's or RB mismatches.

He's average in pass coverage and just SOLID against the RUN. Some games you don't even realize he's in the game
$$$$

He's not worth 11-12 million per year. For that kind of money, we can fill several other needs. Let's see what Worilds can do and draft another OLB.

papillon
02-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Why is everyone so anxious to jettison veterans for untested rookies or second year players? Worilds spent a lot of time injured for drying out loud. Give me a guy that shows up every game and has 35 sacks in three years to boot over the guy that might have 2 sacks and spent a significant portion of the season injured, logic people, logic.

Woodley's long term contract likely won't carry the 11 million per year salary, since he'll be wanting a huge signing bonus that is guaranteed. This isn't the Steelers first rodeo dealing with their free agents.

Pappy

StarSpangledSteeler
02-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Let me ask you all this... Would you rather have Woodley and McFadden? Or Worilds and Asomough? That's about what this comes down to.

We ran into this same issue with Chad Brown, Kevin Greene, Levon Kirkland, and Joey Porter.

1) LeBeau's 3-4 system is built to provide LB mismatches, and funnel the plays toward them, thereby giving his LB's incredible stats.

2) Those LB's see their own stats and want correlating big money.

3) Rooney's refuse to pay and they sign elsewhere, never to duplicate those numbers again, and everyone wonders why?

4) A young LB we just drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round takes their place and performs remarkably well. And we get an additional comp. pick in the draft, which we use on future starters/depth instead of going after high priced FA's.

It's been done again and again. Why do you think we drafted 3 LB's this past year? Even with our glaring needs at OL and CB? I'm sorry to say it but unless Woodley drops his asking price he is gone.

The Sodfather
02-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Why is everyone so anxious to jettison veterans for untested rookies or second year players?

Because they're idiots

SidSmythe
02-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Why is everyone so anxious to jettison veterans for untested rookies or second year players?

Because they're idiots

if you think the Steelers are going to give WOODLEY $11 million/yr over a long term contract, then i guess ur the idiot

The Sodfather
02-11-2011, 01:21 PM
If I had actually said that you might have a point.

Oviedo
02-11-2011, 02:45 PM
I'd like to keep Woodley but I have no problem watching him walk. Move Timmons to that position and let him attack the QB as often as Woodley and I think he actually outproduces Woodley.

pittpete
02-11-2011, 02:53 PM
He's not worth 11-12 million per year. For that kind of money, we can fill several other needs. Let's see what Worilds can do and draft another OLB.

I love Woodley, but Id have to agree even though its not my $$$$.
Id love to see Mc Fadden get the boot.
Even though he was injured, he just doesnt make plays.
We always seem to find a productive OLB with this system sort of like the way Denver always had a productive rusher when Shanahan was there.

If we let Wood go and move Timmons, who plays ILB?
Farrior/Foote/Fox?

BradshawsHairdresser
02-11-2011, 03:19 PM

I love Woodley, but Id have to agree even though its not my $$$$.
Id love to see Mc Fadden get the boot.
Even though he was injured, he just doesnt make plays.
We always seem to find a productive OLB with this system sort of like the way Denver always had a productive rusher when Shanahan was there.

If we let Wood go and move Timmons, who plays ILB?
Farrior/Foote/Fox?
Don't forget about Sylvester--he could be an outstanding ILB.

hawaiiansteel
02-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Answering the biggest offseason question for every team in the AFC

Friday February 11, 2011
by Don Banks>INSIDE THE NFL

Pittsburgh Steelers

In the case of LaMarr Woodley, will the Steelers follow their pattern of letting star linebackers go in free agency?

More than almost any other team in the league, the Steelers are hoping the NFL is in the right about being able to apply those franchise tags in this season of labor uncertainty. Because Pittsburgh will definitely use its tag on Woodley, their sack-happy outside linebacker, if that's the only way to keep him off the open market.

This isn't Joey Porter, Chad Brown, Hardy Nickerson or Larry Foote we're talking about. Woodley is only 26 and he's an ultra-productive player whose 12 sacks, three forced fumbles and two interceptions in 2010 would make him an extremely rich man if he were to become a free agent and open up the bidding. But during Super Bowl week, Woodley made it sound like he knows the grass isn't greener elsewhere, even saying he wouldn't mind having the franchise label applied (horrors!) and earning the median salary of the top five linebackers in the league (about $10 million in 2011). The security of a long-term deal, he reasoned, would come soon enough.

That's the kind of player the Steelers aren't about to let get away.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... z1Dg9Knnpa (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/02/11/afc-offseason-questions/index.html#ixzz1Dg9Knnpa)

Snatch98
02-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Wow this thread is full of hilarious comments. The Steelers are not going to let Woodley walk because Woodley has done exactly what he's been asked and then some. He's still young, money in the playoffs and produces throughout the season. He's not asked to be a world beater like Suggs because we have other options and the "world beating" is spread out. Woodley is a tank and not someone we can afford to lose. Harrison is getting up there and they drafted Worilds to fill those shoes not Woodley's. As far as the Aso comment is concerned that's ridiculous. Why the hell would we want Aso for the money he will no doubt command? He's no spring chicken anymore and we never go after those kind of free agents. If we don't tag Woodley I'll be extremely disappointed.

ScoreKeeper
02-11-2011, 05:38 PM
He's better than Suggs.

He just don't show off/run his yap asmuch to get air time.

papillon
02-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Yea, the Steelers have all these linebackers just sitting on the bench better than Woodley and all they need is for Woodley to be gone to blossom. :roll: Come on people there's a reason Woodley played in 19 games this year and the others didn't. He's a top 10 linebacker in this league and you all think we have a guy on the bench that's better or his equal? :shock:

He's worth the money, he's young, producing double digit sacks, a sack in every playoff game he's been in, he shows up to play every game, yea, he isn't worth a bowl of grits, him and Tomlin should both be shown the door. :twisted:

Pappy

SidSmythe
02-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Yea, the Steelers have all these linebackers just sitting on the bench better than Woodley and all they need is for Woodley to be gone to blossom. :roll: Come on people there's a reason Woodley played in 19 games this year and the others didn't. He's a top 10 linebacker in this league and you all think we have a guy on the bench that's better or his equal? :shock:

He's worth the money, he's young, producing double digit sacks, a sack in every playoff game he's been in, he shows up to play every game, yea, he isn't worth a bowl of grits, him and Tomlin should both be shown the door. :twisted:

Pappy

I guess at the end of the day we have to trust the Steelers F.O. and coaching staff to figure it out. Is Worilds ready to step in and produce, or do we give Woodley a 6yr/$63million ($38 million guaranteed)??? or more like Harrisons 6yr. $51 million ($20 mill guaranteed)???
Whatever they choose, I'm ok with.

hawaiiansteel
02-15-2011, 03:41 AM
Re-signing Woodley is Steelers' top priority

By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer dlolley@observer-reporter.com

http://assets.mediaspanonline.com/prod/5892551/woodly021411.jpg

There were 30 other NFL teams that would have loved to have been in the Pittsburgh Steelers' position a little over a week ago.

But now, coming off a 31-25 loss in Super Bowl XLV to the Green Bay Packers, the Steelers, like all NFL teams, find themselves entering an offseason of uncertainty.

With the league in all probability heading for a lockout March 4, nobody knows what the current labor situation will bring.

A lockout could mean there would be no free-agent period in the offseason.

There is a possibility that if a new collective bargaining agreement is not completed, and the owners end a lockout, free agents could be ordered back to work at 120 percent of their 2010 base salary.

For the Steelers, that means their potential free agents will find themselves in limbo, unable to sign with a new team, and essentially, without a job. That group includes linebacker LaMarr Woodley, cornerback Ike Taylor, offensive linemen Willie Colon, Doug Legursky and Jonathan Scott, kicker Shaun Suisham and punter Daniel Sepulveda.

Once a new CBA is in place, there could be a mad scramble by all 32 teams, whose only other means of player acquisition this offseason could be the draft.

Even the draft will be different. Without a new CBA, teams will not be permitted to sign any undrafted players, leaving another group of players in limbo.

One player who definitely will be back with the Steelers is quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

A tearful Roethlisberger sat alone at his locker in the moments following the Super Bowl, and he was apologetic when he spoke to reporters, taking full blame for the defeat.

The Super Bowl loss was only Roethlisberger's third in 13 postseason starts. The other two times Roethlisberger has experienced defeat in the playoffs - in 2004 and 2007 - the Steelers have won the Super Bowl the following season.

To keep that steak alive and avoid the Super Bowl loser hangover - seven of the last 10 Super Bowl losers have failed to make the playoffs the next season - the Steelers must keep their nucleus of players intact and add some key components - mainly in the secondary.

Keeping Woodley and Taylor will be the top priorities.

Woodley, 26, is entering his prime and has 39 sacks in four seasons. Woodley made only $550,000 last season and the Steelers will use the franchise tag on him if they are unable to work out a new contract by Feb. 24.

Getting a deal with Taylor should be easier. While the 30-year-old is the Steelers' best cornerback and is coming off a solid season, Taylor's not an elite player. He likes playing in Pittsburgh and for head coach Mike Tomlin and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau. Taylor will likely take less money to stay with a team that offers him an opportunity to return to the Super Bowl.

Colon is coming off an Achilles' tendon injury but was considered the Steelers' best lineman before the injury. The Steelers dealt with his loss by signing 35-year-old Flozell Adams to a two-year deal to play right tackle. Adams will make $5 million next season, which might be more than the Steelers are willing to pay, particularly if they re-sign Colon at a bargain rate.

Legursky and Scott each started in the Super Bowl and did a credible job. With veteran backup Trai Essex also an unrestricted free agent, the Steelers will likely make a strong play to keep at least two of the three.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/loc ... -priorties (http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/localsports/02-14-2011-Steelers-offseason-priorties)

The Sodfather
02-15-2011, 07:42 AM

Pappy

Let'em go. I enjoy reading the drivel.

papillon
02-15-2011, 07:53 AM

Pappy

Let'em go. I enjoy reading the drivel.

I expect the Steelers to make Woodley a very wealthy man. He won't be paid as the top linebacker in the league, but he will get a contract that provides a big payday and security just like other Steeler free agents have received that the Steelers want to keep. Roethlisberger didn't get money to make him the top quarterback, Harrison didn't get it either, but both received fair contracts and received security in return.

Woodley will get the same. The Steelers treat players fairly; they have a limit to what they will spend at each position and they stick to it. They don't expect a discount, but they do expect some reasonableness and typically because of the way the run the business they get it. The Steelers talent evaluators are top notch as well and they can realize when to let a player that demands too much, El, Mcfadden, Porter, etc.

They wanted to keep them, but their demands exceeded the Steelers evaluation of them and the players behind them, so they negotiated deals elsewhere and made more money, good for them. The Steelers made out and the players made out, it was a win-win for everyone.

I can't imagine the Steelers allowing Woodley to play anywhere else based on his performance, age and ability to stay healthy. They'll probably give him a 5 or 6 year deal.

Pappy

The Sodfather
02-15-2011, 08:05 AM
I can't imagine the Steelers allowing Woodley to play anywhere else based on his performance, age and ability to stay healthy. They'll probably give him a 5 or 6 year deal.

Pappy

Since Heinz has opened they re-signed everyone they've really wanted to keep.

Woodley falls into that category.

Oviedo
02-15-2011, 09:02 AM

Pappy

Since Heinz has opened they re-signed everyone they've really wanted to keep.

Woodley falls into that category.

The only question is managing the salary cap. Pay Woodley alot more that means those dollars need to be freed up by getting rid of others and their salary. Then you have Taylor this year too. Troy and Timmons waiting next year. That is a lot of juggling of dollars.

The Sodfather
02-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Troy is the one they need to be careful with. Me thinks his body is giving out on him.

Oviedo
02-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Troy is the one they need to be careful with. Me thinks his body is giving out on him.

Me thinks you are right. I can really see Troy going the way of Rod Woodson if the demands are excessive. Way too much injury risk.

Hopefully Troy is really as spiritual as we see and he sees the benefits of being part of something special over greed.

The Sodfather
02-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Plus we're going to have some fair amounts of money coming off the books in the next year or two. Farrior, Smith, Hines................. maybe Harrison, etc..........

Oviedo
02-15-2011, 10:32 AM
If we don't sign Woodley just imagine if we had Timmons' speed and explosiveness on the outside going after the QB.

That would be a pretty special consolation prize!!!!!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
02-15-2011, 11:00 AM
If we don't sign Woodley just imagine if we had Timmons' speed and explosiveness on the outside going after the QB.

Woodley is a better OLB than Timmons.

And Timmons is a better ILB than anyone else we have.

It's mind-boggling how people seem to have no problem letting a player like LaMarr Woodley walk. If that ever happened (and luckily our front office doesn't assume that we have better players to fill in for him), then 31 other teams would be salivating.

Oviedo
02-15-2011, 01:08 PM

Woodley is a better OLB than Timmons.

And Timmons is a better ILB than anyone else we have.

It's mind-boggling how people seem to have no problem letting a player like LaMarr Woodley walk. If that ever happened (and luckily our front office doesn't assume that we have better players to fill in for him), then 31 other teams would be salivating.

It's not a "no problem" issue it is a reality issue. If you get to pick three from the following four who do you keep: Woodley, Taylor, Timmons and Troy?

IMO I absolutely keep Taylor and Timmons. Last position is hard decision between Woodley and Troy with me probably crossing my fingers and taking Troy.

RuthlessBurgher
02-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Woodley and Timmons are 26 and 24 respectively. They could realistically have two more contracts with us. Guys like this you don't let walk after their rookie contracts.

Ike and Troy are 30 and 29 respectively. As DB's get into their 30's, older safeties tend to last longer than older corners. As speed diminishes with age, the effectiveness of older CB's tends to decrease with it (they tend to have to move to safety or nickel back, except in cases of freaks of nature like Darrelle Green).

Troy has been hurt more often than Ike, but when healthy, Troy is other-worldly while Ike is merely solid. Sure, he is the best CB we have by a wide margin, but would you seriously give up, say, 8 years of production from someone like Woodley in exchange for maybe 2 more good years out of Ike as our #1 CB?

Oviedo
02-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Woodley and Timmons are 26 and 24 respectively. They could realistically have two more contracts with us. Guys like this you don't let walk after their rookie contracts.

Ike and Troy are 30 and 29 respectively. As DB's get into their 30's, older safeties tend to last longer than older corners. As speed diminishes with age, the effectiveness of older CB's tends to decrease with it (they tend to have to move to safety or nickel back, except in cases of freaks of nature like Darrelle Green).

Troy has been hurt more often than Ike, but when healthy, Troy is other-worldly while Ike is merely solid. Sure, he is the best CB we have by a wide margin, but would you seriously give up, say, 8 years of production from someone like Woodley in exchange for maybe 2 more good years out of Ike as our #1 CB?

But because of our complete failure to develop a CB in the past 5 years we have no choice but to resign Taylor. There is zeor behind him and to get an equal CB through free agency would probably cost even more than resigning Taylor.

Drafting a rookie doesn't help because he would be on double secret probation and wouldn't be allowed to play.

Shawn
02-15-2011, 02:27 PM
If franchising Woodley means we can re-sign Ike that would be a problem for me. We have a young talented guy (Worilds) waiting in the wings. I also don't believe he is worth anywhere close to 11 mil/per year. With that said, I want to keep him but I don't want to sell the farm to do it. Lets remember part of the reason Woodley is so dominant is because teams also have to game plan for Harrison. Woodley is a terrific young player but if signing him means we have to sacrifice a great deal elsewhere then I'm not on board.

RuthlessBurgher
02-15-2011, 02:37 PM
You let Woodley walk and watch him sign with New England. If you thought you hated it when Mike Vrabel joined the evil empire, Woodley going there would be that times 1000. For all we know of Jason Worilds at this point, he could be the second coming of Clark Haggans.

Shawn
02-15-2011, 03:31 PM
You let Woodley walk and watch him sign with New England. If you thought you hated it when Mike Vrabel joined the evil empire, Woodley going there would be that times 1000. For all we know of Jason Worilds at this point, he could be the second coming of Clark Haggans.

I'm certainly not suggesting letting Woodley walk but we need to be smart about this. I don't want to see Ike in a Pats uniform either. We need to get the biggest bang for the buck and Woodley is not worth 11 million per season IMO. So, I'm hoping a fat contract is coming Woodley's way, just not so fat we can't re-sign others. If he wants to be the highest paid OLB in the NFL, insists on that, and makes it to where the Steelers can't sign their only good CB...then Worilds it is.

Oviedo
02-15-2011, 03:57 PM

I'm certainly not suggesting letting Woodley walk but we need to be smart about this. I don't want to see Ike in a Pats uniform either. We need to get the biggest bang for the buck and Woodley is not worth 11 million per season IMO. So, I'm hoping a fat contract is coming Woodley's way, just not so fat we can't re-sign others. If he wants to be the highest paid OLB in the NFL, insists on that, and makes it to where the Steelers can't sign their only good CB...then Worilds it is.

:Agree If Woodley makes this all about him and screw signing other key members of the defense then bye bye. Taylor, Timmons and Troy are just as, if not more, important as Woodley to our future success. It takes two to tango!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
02-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Nothing that Wood has shown so far would suggest that he's that type of guy. He could have pulled a Vincent Jackon if he wanted to when we gave him no choice but to play for $550,000 follow two straight years of double digit sacks, but he didn't pout about it. He came out and put up yet another double digit sack season. He's a Steeler type of guy that seems to enjoy playing in this defense. I'm not saying he's going to give us a massive hometown discount or anything, but I don't foresee him holding out for top dollar either. A reasonable market value deal (like we did for Harrison, Polamalu, Ben, Heath, etc. before him) should be able to get a deal done. He'd get paid handsomely anywhere, but there is only one Pittsburgh (and knowing that both LeBeau and Butler are returning should only help that cause).

Shawn
02-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Nothing that Wood has shown so far would suggest that he's that type of guy. He could have pulled a Vincent Jackon if he wanted to when we gave him no choice but to play for $550,000 follow two straight years of double digit sacks, but he didn't pout about it. He came out and put up yet another double digit sack season. He's a Steeler type of guy that seems to enjoy playing in this defense. I'm not saying he's going to give us a massive hometown discount or anything, but I don't foresee him holding out for top dollar either. A reasonable market value deal (like we did for Harrison, Polamalu, Ben, Heath, etc. before him) should be able to get a deal done. He'd get paid handsomely anywhere, but there is only one Pittsburgh (and knowing that both LeBeau and Butler are returning should only help that cause).

Then we have no disagreement. If the man is willing to play for a reasonable contract then it's all good.

papillon
02-15-2011, 08:40 PM

Then we have no disagreement. If the man is willing to play for a reasonable contract then it's all good.

Harrison signed 51 million over 6 years with 20 million in bonuses, that's on average 8.5 million per year. Woodley will get at least that and I wouldn't be surprised to the total number be around 56 million for 6 years and 25 in bonuses, that would be 9.3 million per year. It's not 10 or 11, but it isn't that far away either. This also puts Woodley at 32 years old when that contract is up, which as we see with Harrison and Farrior isn't necessarily the end; so there could be another payday in there for Woodley.

The Steelers offer a player a bit of security as well, when they sign them to a big contract. They fully expect to pay the entire deal and not cut the player after a few years and having paid the bonus. Not that a player of Woodley's caliber would have a problem getting work, but it's comforting to know that they want to play out the contract.

Reasonable is all in the eye of the beholder.

Pappy

Shawn
02-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Woodley isn't the OLB Harrison is IMO. But, I agree that his contract will be in that ballpark.

papillon
02-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Woodley isn't the OLB Harrison is IMO. But, I agree that his contract will be in that ballpark.

He may not be in Harrison's caliber yet, but he isn't far away and he's only 26. He's still growing and learning as a player. He's has also stayed healthy and that's important when you're handing out big money.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
02-16-2011, 02:54 PM
On the Steelers: CBA negotiations play major role

Wednesday, February 16, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201102/20110216steelers_160.jpg

Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

The Steelers could place a franchise tag on linebacker LaMarr Woodley.

The Steelers apparently are standing pat for the most part and will not push to sign any of their top potential free agents before their contracts with the team expire with the end of the NFL's calendar year March 3.

Of the 15 players who could become unrestricted free agents under the old rules of a collective bargaining agreement set to expire at midnight March 3, only one could be found who has had any type of talks about a new contract. That includes their top three free agents to be -- linebacker LaMarr Woodley, cornerback Ike Taylor and offensive tackle Willie Colon.

They have held some "brief talks" for a new contract with offensive tackle Jonathan Scott, according to agent Jordan Woy, but have discussed no numbers. Scott started the final 11 games, including three in the postseason, at left tackle for injured Max Starks. He signed a one-year contract in 2010 as a free agent from Buffalo.

It also is possible they will put the franchise player tag on Woodley before the deadline to do so a week from Thursday. That designation would, under the old rules, guarantee that Woodley plays for the Steelers another season with his salary determined as the average of the top five linebacker salaries in the league in 2010. A year ago, that was $9.68 million and should reach $10 million in 2011. The Steelers did that with Starks in 2009 and were able to sign him to a new long-term contract that June. They would hope to do the same with Woodley, who earned only $550,000 last season, his fourth and the third as their starting left outside linebacker.

The teams, however, do not even know if there will be a franchise tag included when the owners and players agree to a new CBA. Still, teams have been designating franchise players over the past week, and the Steelers may follow suit with Woodley.

Before last year, players could become unrestricted free agents after four seasons, provided their contracts expired. They became restricted free agents after three years. That changed last year when the NFL entered the final year of the CBA as an uncapped year in 2010. Instead of four years needed to become a UFA, it turned to six, and that affected Colon. He lost millions in a potential long-term contract as an unrestricted free agent. Instead, Colon was restricted and signed a one-year tender for $2,198,000, then was lost for the season when his Achilles ruptured in June.

Woodley also was affected monetarily by the uncapped year, in which he earned a salary of $550,000. Under normal circumstances, with one year left on his contract entering 2010, the Steelers would have signed him to a multi-year, multi-million contract extension with a big signing bonus. But because of the rules changes in the final year of the CBA, any new contract would limit salary increases of no more than 30 percent annually, and 30 percent of $550,000 was not in the neighborhood that Woodley had since resided. The alternative was to give him a huge signing bonus but that might have cost anywhere between $25 million and $40 million.

So, Woodley played at a bargain-basement salary and, provided there is a new collective bargaining agreement this year, will make up for lost time either as the Steelers' $10 million franchise player or with a new multi-year contract.

The following are the Steelers free agents, assuming the old rules apply, making players unrestricted after four years and restricted after three:

Unrestricted -- Willie Colon, Nick Eason, Trai Essex, Keyaron Fox, Chris Hoke, Anthony Madison, Mewelde Moore, Shaun Suisham, Ike Taylor, LaMarr Woodley, William Gay, Jonathan Scott, Daniel Sepulveda, Matt Spaeth, Greg Warren.

Restricted -- Dennis Dixon, Tony Hills.

Exclusive rights -- Doug Legursky.

Ed Bouchette: ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11047/11 ... z1E95VaZjH (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11047/1125666-66.stm#ixzz1E95VaZjH)

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2011, 03:24 PM
They are not talking contracts with Woodley, Taylor, and Colon because they do not know what the new parameters of the collective bargaining agreement will be, so they cannot anticipate how a signing bonus will impact an unknown salary cap at this point.

With Jonathan Scott, however, he is going to make backup money regardless. It is a depth signing which won't dramatically impact a potential salary cap no matter what, so they can start talking minor contracts with guys like that now.

hawaiiansteel
02-20-2011, 02:21 AM
Bires: Woodley deserves the big bucks

Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 12:01 am
by Mike Bires

LaMarr Woodley is proof that there's value in keeping your yap shut and just doing the job you‘re paid to do.

Last summer at training camp, Woodley could have easily bickered about his contract. He was vastly underpaid in 2009 when he led the Steelers in sacks. He was going to be underpaid again in 2010. And the Steelers hadn't offered him an extension like they've done to so many of their stars in recent years.

But Woodley, the Steelers' left outside linebacker, never complained. He was the antithesis of Jeff Reed.

In fact, one particular day at camp last August, Reed and Woodley were cornered by the media and asked about their contractual status. Reed chose to whine about his situation. Woodley refused to utter a discouraging word.

Reed went on to kick his way out of town.

Woodley went on to have another strong season, and on Friday, he was justly rewarded for his productivity and his patience. When they Steelers put the franchise tag on him, Woodley was guaranteed to make $10.2 million in 2011 provided NFL owners and players eventually end their labor dispute and there is a 2011 season.

"Just got a well-deserved, $9.5 million raise," Woodley wrote on his Twitter account. "Here's to a long-term deal."

Woodley, the Steelers' second-round pick in the 2007 draft, will eventually get his long-term deal. The Steelers would be crazy not to lock this guy in for years to come.
Obviously, he's a terrific player.

In each of his three years as a starter, Woodley posted double-digit sack totals. He's one of only two players in team history to record at least 10 sacks in three straight seasons. The other is James Harrison.

Woodley's 39 sacks in his first four seasons are the most of any Steelers defender in the first four years of their careers. He is also the only player in NFL history to post at least one sack in six consecutive postseason games.

Beyond his playing ability, Woodley is also a good guy. He's a great locker room guy and he's active in community affairs. He's a model citizen.

One day during Super Bowl week in North Texas, I asked Woodley why he never threatened to hold out or complain about his contract.

"I didn't want to be a distraction," he said.

In a season in which the Steelers had plenty of distractions, Woodley just played and played well. He was second on the team with 10 sacks (Harrison had 10.5) and was paid just $550,000. That's close to $1 million less than the Steelers paid backup nose tackle Chris Hoke.

In ‘09 when Woodley led the team with 13.5 sacks and made the Pro Bowl, he was paid $460,000. That was $160,000 less than the Steelers paid Andre Frazier, the man who backed up Woodley.

But now, that is history. Woodley is now a millionaire 10 times over.

Good for him. His patience has paid off. If anyone deserves such a raise, it's him.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/artic ... 78c22.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/article_9f4e3fd8-3cae-11e0-8f76-0017a4a78c22.html)

Crash
02-20-2011, 02:28 AM
I think Woodley's better than James. James has a great first step. But Woodley can go around you, and if he has to he can go through you as well.