PDA

View Full Version : Mendy's Fumble...Anyone else hear this?

pittpete
02-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Listening to Sirius NFL Radio and they said that the GB defense recognized the play presnap from studying film. Matthews and Bishop said the Steelers always run that same play out of that particuliar formation. They called it out before the snap and thats why they were on Mendy so quick.
Anyone else hear something like this?
Was it discussed allready and I missed it due to not wanting to see/hear/talk football for a few days?
Seems like a great job by thier defense and pays to study film.
Basically sealed the game for them at that point.
What a shame, still hurts...... :cry:

Snatch98
02-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Clay Matthews himself said the same thing post game when up with the commentators on NFL Network pad still on and his "Super Bowl t-shirt" over top. He said via film study they knew that play was coming. It certainly doesn't help Arians and his cause for employment if that was in fact the case. Who knows maybe they felt we would impose our will on the Packer defense.

aggiebones
02-10-2011, 05:51 PM
probably true. that stuff happens.

But that game wasn't sealed til Ben's last pass hit the ground.

steelblood
02-10-2011, 06:05 PM
If Legursky and Johnson don't whiff, it wouldn't have been a fumble.

Crash
02-10-2011, 06:11 PM
David Johnson was on the field. I would bet we run 85% of the time he's on it.

BURGH86STEEL
02-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Regardless of everything else that happened on that play, Mendenhall needed to hang onto the ball.

feltdizz
02-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Regardless of everything else that happened on that play, Mendenhall needed to hang onto the ball.

hmm.... it was a great hit and he was sandwiched. I think he needs to use 2 hands until he gets through the hole but he hasn't fumbled that much.

All teams recognize certain formations due to film. I'm sure we knew a few of the plays they were running. Our players still need to make the block and Mend needs to secure the ball.

SteelCrazy
02-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Dom Capers was quoted by the commentators saying that they expected to cause Mendy to fumble because of the way he carries the ball.

Crash
02-10-2011, 06:36 PM
He doesn't need to use two hands he needs to hold the ball closer to his body.

Bettis was a fumbler too when he arrived, he changed the way he carried the ball and for the most part (minus playoff games) he never fumbled.

NJ-STEELER
02-10-2011, 07:08 PM
lego didnt "whiff"

pickett was just about past him in the backfield when he got to him

steelblood
02-10-2011, 07:08 PM

While I agree that he could have done a better job, he hardly had a chance to secure it before he was hit by two players. It is on Legursky and Johnson and Mendenhall.

pittpete
02-10-2011, 08:02 PM
After knowing all this I have to disagree with blame lying with the blockers.
9 out of 10 times the defense has to react and the offensive player knows where he needs to be.
Those 2 were on Mendy before Johnson even put his head up.
Just a great play by a great defense.

SidSmythe
02-11-2011, 07:07 AM
After knowing all this I have to disagree with blame lying with the blockers.
9 out of 10 times the defense has to react and the offensive player knows where he needs to be.
Those 2 were on Mendy before Johnson even put his head up.
Just a great play by a great defense.

I don't blame Legursky, he had a tough angle when PICKETT knew it was coming.
I do however blame JOHNSON b/c in football, low man wins. MATHEWS went right under him and he tried to stay on his feet. He lost.
It was a great play, but JOHNSON could have made a better effort

Mister Pittsburgh
02-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Funny the way the history of the NFL works. I thought Clay Matthews forced that fumble until last night. On further review, the LDT is the one that forces the fumble. His helmet hit right on the ball. Matthews just wrapped Mendenhall. If the LDT doesn't hit Mendy, it is just a tackle for loss by Matthews.

SidSmythe
02-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Funny the way the history of the NFL works. I thought Clay Matthews forced that fumble until last night. On further review, the LDT is the one that forces the fumble. His helmet hit right on the ball. Matthews just wrapped Mendenhall. If the LDT doesn't hit Mendy, it is just a tackle for loss by Matthews.

You might want to take a look at it again. I had to watch it on YOUTUBE at least 5 times to figure it out ...BUT
Mathews helmet hits Mendenhall's elbow and the ball couldn't absorb the blow and popped out.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-11-2011, 08:53 AM
i stand corrected. DT hits him first but shot on elbow is the cause.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz36HbrMZek

frankthetank1
02-11-2011, 08:54 AM
David Johnson was on the field. I would bet we run 85% of the time he's on it.

thats a good point and i agree. we run all the time when johnson is in. dead give away

SidSmythe
02-11-2011, 09:20 AM
i stand corrected. DT hits him first but shot on elbow is the cause.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz36HbrMZek

When I watched it live i thought "Did he get paid off???"
but you watch the replay it takes a few views to see what really happened.
The worst is watching MENDY's eyes as he's falling backwards and the ball is just layin up in the air. He looks like Jack drowning at the end of the Titanic. ugh!!

The Sodfather
02-11-2011, 11:17 AM
It all goes back to Arians playcalling be very predictable.