PDA

View Full Version : 60 minutes of football

feltdizz
02-10-2011, 04:21 PM
We had a first round bye... and in a blink of an eye the Ravens put up 21 points.

We had 2 weeks before the SB... and in the blink of an eye the Pack put up 21 on us.

What the hell is wrong with our team? Why can't we play 4 quarters of football?

:oops:

Crash
02-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Cause we start out slow because we have to try and run or throw WR screens to Ward.

feltdizz
02-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Cause we start out slow because we have to try and run or throw WR screens to Ward.

The Ward screen picked up 4 yards.. it was a good gain on first down. I'm not a fan of that play but it's not the reason we have played 2 bad quarters the last 3 games.

I'm talking about the D and the O, not Ward.

BURGH86STEEL
02-10-2011, 06:19 PM

The Ward screen picked up 4 yards.. it was a good gain on first down. I'm not a fan of that play but it's not the reason we have played 2 bad quarters the last 3 games.

The broken record continues to play.

Crash
02-10-2011, 06:31 PM

I'm talking about our mindset. We have started slow out of the gate all year. Slow, WR screens, run the ball, plod along.

The only time the offense does anything is when we come out of the gate flying. Aggressive, attack.

We don't do that anymore because people insisting we need to establish running games and appease the yinzers.

We are <> close, with a few tinks here and there from really being a good balanced team, and a diverse offense. The talent is there. They have to want to use it though.

But the insistence of trying to please the public by embracing the past has to stop first.

SteelCrazy
02-10-2011, 06:50 PM
That 1st drive stalled because Brown ran the wrong route. Mental error skilled us when the formation didnt.

SteelCrazy
02-10-2011, 06:53 PM

I'm talking about our mindset. We have started slow out of the gate all year. Slow, WR screens, run the ball, plod along.

The only time the offense does anything is when we come out of the gate flying. Aggressive, attack.

We don't do that anymore because people insisting we need to establish running games and appease the yinzers.

We are <> close, with a few tinks here and there from really being a good balanced team, and a diverse offense. The talent is there. They have to want to use it though.

But the insistence of trying to please the public by embracing the past has to stop first.

If they wanted to please the masses, they wouldnt resign Arians. Mr. Rooney was the one that wanted us to go to a running game. I dont remember him saying anything about that worthless WR screen. Yea, it picked up 4 yards against GB, but it failed more often then it worked this season.

Crash
02-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Mr. Rooney was the one that wanted us to go to a running game.

Like I said:

SteelCrazy
02-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Mr. Rooney was the one that wanted us to go to a running game.

Like I said:

Hey, if its the masses their trying to please, I'm all for them to stop. However, we do need a bit of a running game. Ben has yet to prove he can throw it 40 times a game and win CONSISTENTLY.

Crash
02-10-2011, 10:47 PM
We don't need 40 throws a game. Attempts aren't the issue.

You can run the ball. But that doesn't mean you run just for the sake of doing it.

Wallace, Sanders, Brown. The fastest set of WR's we've had in 15 years.

So keep Spaeth and Johnson on the bench where they belong.

SteelCrazy
02-10-2011, 11:08 PM

You can run the ball. But that doesn't mean you run just for the sake of doing it.

You'll get no arguements here when it comes to Speath and Johnson, esp. Johnson. All I want is the wins. If it means throwing 50 times a game or running 50 times, I dont care. Good football...that is what the Steelers bring. Arians laid a big fat egg in the SB. He had them moving the ball and all of a sudden we lose a rookie WR and hecant figure it out. There's no room in this game for limited thinking....The reason we saw so much of the TE's is because he couldn't run his 5 wideouts. He cant think outside of the box and that's where he needs to be....and thats why he cant get a HC job. Not because he is almost 60.

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2011, 11:10 PM
This whole running more to "appease the yinzers" is insulting.

Rooney didn't say to run more often. He said to run more consistently. Be able to run when we need to run.

Judging by rushing TD's, I'd say we certainly did a better job than last season of being able to run when we needed to run. In 2009, Mendenhall had 7 rushing TD's with 2 by Ben and 1 by Dixon. In 2010, Mendenhall had 13 rushing TD's with 2 by Ben. Progress.

Sure, we ran a bit more overall (471 rushes this season vs. 428 last year), but that averages out to less than 3 more rushes per game (2.6875 more rushes per game this year than last year). And what did we get for it? And improvement from 9-7 and out of the playoffs in 2009 to 12-4, a division title, a first round bye, a Super Bowl appearance in 2010. I'd say running the ball 2-3 more times per game and getting a half dozen more rushing TD's by our RB was worth it, eh?

Crash
02-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Our rushing in the red zone still struggles. RZ issues are the offense's main weakness.

I almost fainted when we hit the redzone after Redman's run and BA lets Mendy rush with three wide on the field. I was expecting pass all the way because of formation.

SteelCrazy
02-10-2011, 11:33 PM
This whole running more to "appease the yinzers" is insulting.

Rooney didn't say to run more often. He said to run more consistently. Be able to run when we need to run.

Judging by rushing TD's, I'd say we certainly did a better job than last season of being able to run when we needed to run. In 2009, Mendenhall had 7 rushing TD's with 2 by Ben and 1 by Dixon. In 2010, Mendenhall had 13 rushing TD's with 2 by Ben. Progress.

Sure, we ran a bit more overall (471 rushes this season vs. 428 last year), but that averages out to less than 3 more rushes per game (2.6875 more rushes per game this year than last year). And what did we get for it? And improvement from 9-7 and out of the playoffs in 2009 to 12-4, a division title, a first round bye, a Super Bowl appearance in 2010. I'd say running the ball 2-3 more times per game and getting a half dozen more rushing TD's by our RB was worth it, eh?

Refer to my sig....

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Refer to my sig....

:tt2 :tt1 :Agree :lol:

Crash
02-11-2011, 03:40 AM
Ben has yet to prove he can throw it 40 times a game and win CONSISTENTLY.

Ben is 6-8 in the regular season with 40 or more passes in a game.

After 14 games?

Peyton 3-11.

Brady 8-6

Brees 3-11

Rivers 4-10

Rodgers 2-7 (So he'd have to win his next five straight to surpass Ben and four of five to tie him)

Only Brady beats Ben after 14 games.

See how perception doesn't always equal reality?

SteelCrazy
02-11-2011, 09:46 AM

After 14 games?

Peyton 3-11.

Brady 8-6

Brees 3-11

Rivers 4-10

Rodgers 2-7 (So he'd have to win his next five straight to surpass Ben and four of five to tie him)

6-8 is not winning consistently no matter what manning and co. have done. Plus Ben is 0-2 in the playoffs when throwing over 40 times. maybe we need to check on over 30 times.

SteelCrazy
02-11-2011, 09:55 AM
when throwing 30 or more times in the reg season ben is 20-21 for a winning percentage of 48.7%. Although he has done better in the playoffs 4-2. his only 2 losses??? well, we discussed that earlier. However, like i said, i dont care if he throws it 50 times, as long as we win!

feltdizz
02-11-2011, 10:40 AM

After 14 games?

Peyton 3-11.

Brady 8-6

Brees 3-11

Rivers 4-10

every statement about Ben isn't a comparison to other QB's...

eniparadoxgma
02-11-2011, 01:27 PM

RB, it might be time to give it up. You know what Rooney meant. I know what Rooney meant. Everyone and their mom knows what Rooney meant. However, some people will never see what Rooney meant because it goes against their vaunted opinions.

Crash
02-11-2011, 01:40 PM

RB, it might be time to give it up. You know what Rooney meant. I know what Rooney meant. Everyone and their mom knows what Rooney meant. However, some people will never see what Rooney meant because it goes against their vaunted opinions.

Why doesn't Rooney just shut his pie hole and let his coaches coach? How's that?

Rooney also came out and used the Chiefs game as the reason the offense needed to run more consistently because "they weren't ready to play".

Oh really? The special teams gave up an opening kickoff TD and the Steelers offense still scored 17 points in the first half. How much more did he want?

If Jerry Jones was speaking in public about game plans and what coaches needed to do he'd be ripped.

eniparadoxgma
02-11-2011, 01:52 PM
It's simple and it's been spelled out many many many times for you already.

Here we go again, and this is only in reference to what Rooney said:

He said we need to run the ball better..."more effectively"...

He did not say we need to run the ball "more".

Therefore, all of this crap about us running the ball "more" to appease Rooney because Steeler Nation (or the yinzers as you call it) wants us to is nothing more than a straw man that you employ to prop up your own agenda and nothing more.

Everyone else in the world knows what Rooney meant. Why don't you?

eniparadoxgma
02-11-2011, 01:54 PM

Why doesn't Rooney just shut his pie hole and let his coaches coach? How's that?

Rooney also came out and used the Chiefs game as the reason the offense needed to run more consistently because "they weren't ready to play".

Oh really? The special teams gave up an opening kickoff TD and the Steelers offense still scored 17 points in the first half. How much more did he want?

If Jerry Jones was speaking in public about game plans and what coaches needed to do he'd be ripped.

And all of the above is beside the point. Don't change horses midstream.

SteelCrazy
02-11-2011, 01:59 PM
I heard a coach once say this, "A coach that listens to fans ends up sitting with them."

Crash
02-11-2011, 02:00 PM

Therefore, all of this crap about us running the ball "more" to appease Rooney because Steeler Nation (or the yinzers as you call it) wants us to is nothing more than a straw man that you employ to prop up your own agenda and nothing more.

Some said he said run more, some say and said run more consistent. Hell I even said he meant more consistent.

My point is he shouldn't have said anything at all to the staff. Let them coach, or get someone else to do it.

When all I hear from coaches is the preaching of "balance", that's a problem.

He also said that young players needed to play earlier than they are. Arians did that. LeBeau? Nope.

Crash
02-11-2011, 02:01 PM
I heard a coach once say this, "A coach that listens to fans ends up sitting with them."

Does the same hold true for owners?

SteelCrazy
02-11-2011, 02:07 PM

Does the same hold true for owners?

No and that could be a problem.

eniparadoxgma
02-11-2011, 02:14 PM

Some said he said run more, some say and said run more consistent. Hell I even said he meant more consistent.

My point is he shouldn't have said anything at all to the staff. Let them coach, or get someone else to do it.

When all I hear from coaches is the preaching of "balance", that's a problem.

He also said that young players needed to play earlier than they are. Arians did that. LeBeau? Nope.

Okay, so now you're not trying to push the idea that Rooney and the Steeler Organization screwed up by attempting to "run more" to appease Steeler fans because Steeler fans are stuck on <running more = Steelers football>?

You have been saying this for awhile.

Whether or not owners should (OMG) talk about their team is a completely different subject. And for the record, I couldn't care less about Rooney talking about *his* team. It's not like he's throwing people under the bus or anything.

Crash
02-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Okay, so now you're not trying to push the idea that Rooney and the Steeler Organization screwed up by attempting to "run more" to appease Steeler fans because Steeler fans are stuck on <running more = Steelers football>?

No, I believe they did try to appease the yinzers. The minute we throw three times in a row people start whining. Hell Gerry Dulac of the PG was whining that the Steelers threw three times in a row, in the THIRD quarter of the game in Cincy.

I believe the staff was too concerned about running the ball. I'd more concerned about HOW they are trying to do it rather than HOW MUCH.

eniparadoxgma
02-11-2011, 03:12 PM

No, I believe they did try to appease the yinzers. The minute we throw three times in a row people start whining. Hell Gerry Dulac of the PG was whining that the Steelers threw three times in a row, in the THIRD quarter of the game in Cincy.

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing this at all. As a matter of fact I see a lot more "QUIT RUNNING UP THE F@%#@% MIDDLE EVERY PLAY" and "QUIT RUNNING ON 1st and 2nd DOWNS EVERY POSSESSION" than anything else. I actually believe you just have some kind of strange complex that makes you see whatever is most inflammatory towards your already established views. You seem to thrive on this.

"FREE BEN!!!!!!!1111111"

"TAKE THE TIGHT ENDS OFF THE FIELD AND GO WITH MORE 4 WIDE/BUNCH FORMATIONS"

"HINES WARD IS THE DEBIL!!!1"

"EVERYONE THINKS THAT WE NEED TO RUN MORE"

"EVERYONE THINKS BEN IS THE DEBIL BUT OBVIOUSLY THESE OTHER FOOTBALL PLAYERS ARE MUCH WORSE SO I MUST TALK ABOUT THEM EVERY. FRIGGIN. TIME. HE. IS. BROUGHT. UP."

It's like you've got 4 or 5 things written on a tablet and you scream what they say to everyone you meet regardless of the subject of conversation. Keep on crusadin'.

I believe the staff was too concerned about running the ball. I'd more concerned about HOW they are trying to do it rather than HOW MUCH.

It's been pointed out many times that THE STAFF was more concerned with HOW we run the ball (ie MORE EFFECTIVELY/CONSISTENTLY) than HOW MUCH. I'm not sure why you keep trying to win some kind of points with this.

Crash
02-11-2011, 03:15 PM
It's been pointed out many times that THE STAFF was concerned with HOW we run the ball (ie MORE EFFECTIVELY/CONSISTENTLY) than HOW MUCH.

So why the constant preaching of "balance" by them as far as run/pass ratio?

eniparadoxgma
02-11-2011, 08:48 PM
It's been pointed out many times that THE STAFF was concerned with HOW we run the ball (ie MORE EFFECTIVELY/CONSISTENTLY) than HOW MUCH.

In case you're unaware, you can both need to run more effectively/consistently and also need to have a better balance. However, for the trillionth time, what Rooney was talking about was running it more effectively/consistently. That was my point.

fordfixer
02-12-2011, 12:05 AM

In case you're unaware, you can both need to run more effectively/consistently and also need to have a better balance. However, for the trillionth time, what Rooney was talking about was running it more effectively/consistently. That was my point.

Eni-

You may as well do this :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger you'll get the same result

papillon
02-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Were the Steelers more effective running the ball this year? Yes
Is their record better than last year? Yes
Did Ben have a good year? Yes
Did Ben have a good year last year? Yes
Did the Steelers run the ball effectively last year? No
Did the Steelers get in the playoffs last year? No
Did the Steelers make the playoffs this year? Yes

Ben was the same, the defense basically the same, the STs a bit better this year, but the running game was improved 2 fold. Running the ball effectively opens things up for the offense. The Packers were lucky to make the playoffs and in large part due not being able to run the ball. Once they were in, they didn't try to run the ball and were successful.

The problem is you have to get to the playoffs and being singly focused on passing the football over a 16 game schedule will get you watching the playoffs rather than being in them. The Packers were good and fortunate this year. If they have to rely on Rodgers to win enough games to get into the playoffs next year, they may not be in the playoffs and not because Rodgers is a bad quarterback, but because, it's almost impossible to carry a team using one guy and running the ball 9 tines per game.

Pappy

fordfixer
02-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Were the Steelers more effective running the ball this year? Yes
Is their record better than last year? Yes
Did Ben have a good year? Yes
Did Ben have a good year last year? Yes
Did the Steelers run the ball effectively last year? No
Did the Steelers get in the playoffs last year? No
Did the Steelers make the playoffs this year? Yes

Ben was the same, the defense basically the same, the STs a bit better this year, but the running game was improved 2 fold. Running the ball effectively opens things up for the offense. The Packers were lucky to make the playoffs and in large part due not being able to run the ball. Once they were in, they didn't try to run the ball and were successful.

The problem is you have to get to the playoffs and being singly focused on passing the football over a 16 game schedule will get you watching the playoffs rather than being in them. The Packers were good and fortunate this year. If they have to rely on Rodgers to win enough games to get into the playoffs next year, they may not be in the playoffs and not because Rodgers is a bad quarterback, but because, it's almost impossible to carry a team using one guy and running the ball 9 tines per game.

Pappy

Pappy-
see post above your's

Crash
02-12-2011, 01:32 AM
Was it that improved or did they just do it more?

Look at Mendenhall game by game. Then tell me it was so much better?

8th in attempts, but 11th in yards and 17th in yards per carry.

The running game would work better if they used Mendy (and the OL) like they should.

When Arians finally does go, and Fichtner runs the Memphis spread? Mendy will have his first 1500 season.

Just watch.

In fact, it could be argued that Mendenhall was better LAST season.

skyhawk
02-12-2011, 11:34 PM

Willie Gault was fast and he s ucked.

Those three are fast but I am not convinced they are top WRs.

Crash
02-13-2011, 12:36 AM

He did? If Willie Gault played in this era and had a top flight QB like Ben he'd be Mike Wallace with even more speed.

hawaiiansteel
02-13-2011, 12:49 AM

Willie Gault did not suck, he averaged 19.9 yds per catch and scored 44 TDs in his career.

skyhawk
02-13-2011, 12:58 AM

Willie Gault did not suck, he averaged 19.9 yds per catch and scored 44 TDs in his career.

If speed was all that mattered he would have been a hall of famer. But even with top speed like that he was only an average to above average receiver.

Crash
02-13-2011, 01:14 AM
He was a deep threat. He did what he was asked to do.