PDA

View Full Version : Dale Lolley: My Troy Polamalu Theory

hawaiiansteel
02-10-2011, 02:55 PM
My Polamalu theory

While driving to my final radio show last night for the 2010 season I had a thought that hit me on why Troy Polamalu was playing so much deep centerfield throughout the playoffs.

I don't think it had as much to do with his injury as it did with the one to Bryant McFadden.

McFadden was suffered a hip pointer in the Carolina game while making an interception and then tore a muscle in his rib cage the following game against Cleveland.

If you remember in that Cleveland game, Polamalu was up at the line of scrimmage to make a diving interception on the Browns' first play from scrimmage.

We didn't see him at the line of scrimmage too much after that.

I haven't had time to check into this yet, but it's my feeling the Steelers were so concerned with their corners outside of Ike Taylor that they felt they had to keep Polamalu deep to protect from being beaten over the top.

We saw Ryan Clark down in the box at times, but he doesn't have anywhere near Polamalu's speed. I believe they felt with McFadden hobbled, that exposed them to the deep ball with McFadden, William Gay and Anthony Madison, particularly with Clark as the only deep safety.

It drives home the fact that this team needs to upgrade its speed in the secondary.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

skyhawk
02-10-2011, 02:58 PM
It's captain obvious. :roll:

Oviedo
02-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Yes, most of our CBs totally suck so someone needs to be the plug in the dike. I think a big part of it was Troy's injury which cut the the range he could cover so he could no longer be on the LOS and get quickly back into a deep zone.

Ghost
02-10-2011, 03:29 PM
What happened on the packers TD where the WR was wide open and the closest Steeler was Troy, a solid 7 to 10 yards away?

feltdizz
02-10-2011, 04:24 PM
The Pack dropped 2 more TD's and a few other big gainers...

Our DB's suck and Ike is no more than a #2 on any other team. He gets beat when it's 3rd and whatever just like the other guys.

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2011, 04:27 PM
It's captain obvious. :roll:

No no no...it's Captain Hindsight.

http://rumorsandrants.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Captain-Hindsight.png

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2011, 04:28 PM
What happened on the packers TD where the WR was wide open and the closest Steeler was Troy, a solid 7 to 10 yards away?

Troy was preparing to jump the inside route, but Jennings cut outside and was therefore wide open. Troy guessed wrong and we paid dearly.

Ghost
02-10-2011, 04:34 PM

Troy was preparing to jump the inside route, but Jennings cut outside and was therefore wide open. Troy guessed wrong and we paid dearly.

Who was the corner? Or was that play a zone and it was Troy's guy, he just guessed wrong? Just Brutal!

hawaiiansteel
02-12-2011, 10:45 PM
D!CK LEBEAU OUT-COACHED IN SUPER BOWL XLV

Troy Polamalu lined up within five yards of the line of scrimmage on just three of the Steelers' 55 defensive snaps in Super Bowl XLV.

D!ck LeBeau got out-coached. Polamalu's strength is in the box, but the Steelers used formations that put him in "centerfield," and he was exposed by the Packers' spread offense. It sounds like Polamalu's ineffectiveness wasn't due to a lingering Achilles' injury. He was simply utilized incorrectly. Feb 11, 5:20:00 PM

Source: NFL.com

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/681/troy-polamalu

Crash
02-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Yep. That sums it up. You can't coach scared. You have to accept the fact that offenses like the Pack, Saints, and Pats will get some points. So you must keep your play-makers in a position to make plays rather than play back and give up the points anyway.

phillyesq
02-13-2011, 12:30 PM

Reminiscent of Champ Bailey biting on Cedrick Wilson in the Denver game in 2005. Ben hit a wide open Wilson for a TD.

skyhawk
02-13-2011, 07:00 PM

Reminiscent of Champ Bailey biting on Cedrick Wilson in the Denver game in 2005. Ben hit a wide open Wilson for a TD.

I don't think I've ever seen that in print! :lol: