PDA

View Full Version : What to do with our LB's contracts - Idea to fix holes

Mister Pittsburgh
02-10-2011, 12:56 PM
So what should we do with our linebackers since Harrison is already getting paid bigtime, Woodley is a free agent, and Timmons is a free agent next offseason? Can't pay them all big sums of money. Worilds is waiting in the wings too.

Would you consider one of the following? I know this would never happen, not the Steeler way, but could fix some holes while solving contract problem with LB's.

-Trade Harrison to Arizona to be the main cog in their 3-4 linebacking corp and in return we get the 5th pick overall in this draft and draft the top CB. With 31 we take top OL (hopefully Pouncey).

-Franchise Woodley, then trade him to Arizona for the 5th overall pick and take the top CB.

With either of these moves we land a stud CB and have money to retain Ike. Neither of these moves would be totally killer as we have Worilds ready to go at OLB to replace either player.

NW Steeler
02-10-2011, 01:16 PM
No one knows if Worilds is ready or ever will be to start at OLB. You would never get a top 5 pick for Harrison and especially not Wood, IMO.

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Since Patrick Peterson is officially my yearly draft "man crush" (past draft crushes have included the likes of Eric Berry, Calvin Johnson, and others), I'd be in if he were available, even if it is another unrealistic potential scenario.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Honestly I have no idea what you could get for Woodley, or Harrison. Just a thought. I was thinking yesterday what we are going to do as we can't pay all of our LB top money.

Oviedo
02-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Uh.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! !!!!!!!!

Get rid of some high priced veterans like Farrior and Smith and we will be able to make this happen.

NW Steeler
02-10-2011, 02:00 PM
If Farrior goes, who starts in his place? I doubt Sly is ready. Foote? That is certainly not an upgrade. They better get Sly ready if he is the future. I think Farrior has another year in him, but they need to get someone playing some of his snaps. I agree that Farrior is nearing his end, although I don't think he was a weak link in our D.

Discipline of Steel
02-11-2011, 08:04 AM
So what should we do with our linebackers since Harrison is already getting paid bigtime, Woodley is a free agent, and Timmons is a free agent next offseason? Can't pay them all big sums of money. Worilds is waiting in the wings too.

Would you consider one of the following? I know this would never happen, not the Steeler way, but could fix some holes while solving contract problem with LB's.

-Trade Harrison to Arizona to be the main cog in their 3-4 linebacking corp and in return we get the 5th pick overall in this draft and draft the top CB. With 31 we take top OL (hopefully Pouncey).

-Franchise Woodley, then trade him to Arizona for the 5th overall pick and take the top CB.

Im sorry, with all due respect Mister Pittsburgh, but Tomlin will not trade James Harrison. He calls him the ultimate professional and an example to others on the team of how to study your opponent week after week then get after them on Sunday. He is too much of a quiet leader in that regard. With either of these moves we land a stud CB and have money to retain Ike. Neither of these moves would be totally killer as we have Worilds ready to go at OLB to replace either player.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-11-2011, 08:12 AM
I just really, really, really, really, really hope that we have a CB playing opposite Ike next season that is just as good as Ike or better. Put McFadden at nickel. I think he is good in that role. Let Willie Gay go back to New Orleans and become a street performer.

frankthetank1
02-11-2011, 08:56 AM
If Farrior goes, who starts in his place? I doubt Sly is ready. Foote? That is certainly not an upgrade. They better get Sly ready if he is the future. I think Farrior has another year in him, but they need to get someone playing some of his snaps. I agree that Farrior is nearing his end, although I don't think he was a weak link in our D.

this is my concern. im sure farrior will be back for at least one more year hopefully. we have no one to replace him. i have seen enough of fox in a steeler uniform and foote is average at best. its a scary thought

Oviedo
02-11-2011, 08:59 AM

this is my concern. im sure farrior will be back for at least one more year hopefully. we have no one to replace him. i have seen enough of fox in a steeler uniform and foote is average at best. its a scary thought

Or we could do something unheard of and draft a rookie high and actually let him play on defense. You know like the Pats did this year and the Packers did last year.

papillon
02-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Personally, I would never give up a known entity for an unknown entity and in particular when the two known entities are pro-bowl and all-pro caliber. IMO, this is how some teams get in trouble, rather than draft, be patient, develop players and retain their own free agents they go looking for a quick fix and they end up with more problems than they started with, because, that rookie they drafted can't play as good as a veteran.

Never, nope, not ever would I trade either pro-bowl linebacker for a draft pick (even though the Steelers don't miss on first round talent very often).

Keep Woodley and Harrison, let the draft play out and take the BPA when it gets to 1.31. I don't like the idea of trading either player very much. The caveat to this is when they begin to negotiate with Woodley they realize they aren't getting a deal done, then you go to plan B.

Pappy

SidSmythe
02-11-2011, 12:34 PM
only in Madden

steelblood
02-11-2011, 12:38 PM
The fifth overall pick will be paid huge money. Since Peterson will likely be gone, I'm not sure what you will accomplish by doing this.

flippy
02-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Farrior's liability in pass coverage doesn't allow us to blitz TImmons as often as we should.

Timmons is great all around, but with his speed, he should be attacking the QB more often and we can't do it because we have another inside LB, FS, and CBs that aren't spectacular in coverage.

I think the same thing happened to Porter at the end of his Steelers career because he was so good in coverage.

We can't allow average players to take away from supreme talent in others.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-11-2011, 02:12 PM
only in Madden

Patriots franchised Matt Cassell then traded him for the 34th pick. The former defensive player of the year or young 3-4 OLB that gets double digit sacks every year so far would be worth far more that the 34th, especially to a team like Arizona that is trying to establish the 3-4.

The whole scenario is based off of Worilds having the ability to play at a high level.

But yeah, only in Madden. Just because the Steelers don't use all the avenues they could to make the team better doesn't mean it can't be done.

Crash
02-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Crack kills.

Oviedo
02-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Farrior's liability in pass coverage doesn't allow us to blitz TImmons as often as we should.

Timmons is great all around, but with his speed, he should be attacking the QB more often and we can't do it because we have another inside LB, FS, and CBs that aren't spectacular in coverage.

I think the same thing happened to Porter at the end of his Steelers career because he was so good in coverage.

We can't allow average players to take away from supreme talent in others.

I agree 100% Timmons started out the season like a beast because he was allowed to attack the QB. Then they started dropping him more and more into coverage to cover for the weak secondary.

If Woodley leaves I wouldn't wait more than a millisecond to move Timmons to the outside pass rush position. He would destroy QBs. That is where he really needs to be playing.

NJ-STEELER
02-11-2011, 07:15 PM
if he's not coming free tothe QB, i dont remeber timmons getting any sacks, except for maybe 1.
he's too easily blocked to be blitzing a lot, even by running backs