View Full Version : The National Football Report's 3 Round Mock 7.0

steelerkeylargo
02-09-2011, 04:25 PM
enjoy :Cheers

http://thenationalfootballreport.com/?page_id=2532

Oviedo
02-09-2011, 04:53 PM
I'd buy that draft.

Dowling just reminds me so much of Deshea Townsend. Not exactly a lock up cover CB which is what I think we need. Don't know much about the Ohio State kid to include pronouncing his name.

I hope Pouncey sandbags at the Combine so he is an option. I think it would be convenient if he "tweaks" a hammy and can't run or do drills.

hawaiiansteel
02-09-2011, 06:29 PM
I know Danny Watkins is older but I'll make you a friendly wager that there is no way he lasts until the 3rd round...that guy is a stud.

steelerkeylargo
02-09-2011, 06:43 PM
I know Danny Watkins is older but I'll make you a friendly wager that there is no way he lasts until the 3rd round...that guy is a stud.

He is a very solid player. But he is 27 years old going against 22 year olds.

hawaiiansteel
02-09-2011, 06:48 PM

Watkins is 26 years old...sounds like we have ourselves a bet... :Cheers

steelerkeylargo
02-09-2011, 06:54 PM

He will be 27 before he ever plays a down.

grotonsteel
02-09-2011, 06:56 PM
I would like Steelers to either draft an OT or S in Rd 3.

I like first 2 rounds but did not like Chekwa pick. He lacks ball skills and we have those type of corners right now.

Ideal scenario will be to sign a FA CB.

steelerkeylargo
02-09-2011, 07:01 PM
I would like Steelers to either draft an OT or S in Rd 3.

I like first 2 rounds but did not like Chekwa pick. He lacks ball skills and we have those type of corners right now.

Ideal scenario will be to sign a FA CB.

I think Chekwa will be drafted as a Safety. He could immediately play in the dime.

hawaiiansteel
02-09-2011, 07:15 PM

Watkins turned 26 three months ago, barring a lockout he will still be 26 on Opening Day.

steelerkeylargo
02-09-2011, 07:17 PM

Watkins turned 26 three months ago, barring a lockout he will still be 26 on Opening Day.

Sorry, should have said 26 years and 10 months! :Cheers

hawaiiansteel
02-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Sorry, should have said 26 years and 10 months! :Cheers

:Cheers

Pro Football Weekly has Watkins going in the first round, I don't think he makes it out of the second...IMO, Danny Watkins will be a first-year starter at OG for whatever team drafts him.

Pro Football Weekly 2011 Mock Draft - Round 1

Posted Feb. 07, 2011

By Nolan Nawrocki
Senior editor

With a new defensive-minded head coach in Carolina, the Panthers could be on the prowl for an impact defensive player, and the last time they selected this high, they found one in Julius Peppers. Clemson's Da'Quan Bowers could kickstart a run on defensive linemen at the top of a draft that PFW projects could
include 18 underclassmen, with nine potentially landing in the top 10.

1. Carolina Panthers
Da’Quan Bowers | DE | Clemson [Jr.]

2. Denver Broncos
Marcell Dareus | DT | Alabama [Jr.]

3. Buffalo Bills
Patrick Peterson | CB | LSU [Jr.]

4. Cincinnati Bengals
A.J. Green | WR | Georgia [Jr.]

5. Arizona Cardinals
Von Miller | OLB | Texas A&M

6. Cleveland Browns
Nick Fairley | DT | Auburn [Jr.]

7. San Francisco 49ers
Cameron Jordan | DE | California

8. Tennessee Titans
Blaine Gabbert | QB | Missouri

9. Dallas Cowboys
J.J. Watt | DE | Wisconsin [Jr.]

10. Washington Redskins
Cam Newton | QB | Auburn [Jr.]

11. Houston Texans
Prince Amukamara | CB | Nebraska

12. Minnesota Vikings
Adrian Clayborn | DE | Iowa

13. Detroit Lions
Anthony Castonzo | OLT | Boston College

14. St. Louis Rams
Julio Jones | WR | Alabama [Jr.]

15. Miami Dolphins
Ryan Mallett | QB | Arkansas [Jr.]

16. Jacksonville Jaguars
Allen Bailey | DE | Miami (Fla.)

17. New England Patriots
Mark Ingram | RB | Alabama [Jr.]

18. San Diego Chargers
Ryan Kerrigan | OLB | Purdue

19. New York Giants
Mike Pouncey | OG-C | Florida

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tyron Smith | OLT | USC [Jr.]

21. Kansas City Chiefs
Gabe Carimi | ORT | Wisconsin

22. Indianapolis Colts
Nate Solder | OLT | Colorado

23. Philadelphia Eagles
Brandon Harris | CB | Miami (Fla.) [Jr.]

24. New Orleans Saints
Aldon Smith | DE | Missouri [Jr.]

25. Seattle Seahawks
Jake Locker | QB | Washington

26. Balitmore Ravens
Aaron Williams | CB | Texas [Jr.]

27. Atlanta Falcons
Danny Watkins | OG | Baylor [Jr.]

28. New England Patriots
Clint Boling | OG | Georgia [Jr.]

29. Chicago Bears
Corey Liuget | DT | Illinois [Jr.]

30. New York Jets
Akeem Ayers | OLB | UCLA [Jr.]

31. Pittsburgh Steelers
Derek Sherrod | OL | Mississippi State

32. Green Bay Packers
Cameron Heyward | DE | Ohio State

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/0 ... k-draft-10 (http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/02/07/mock-draft-10)

steelerkeylargo
02-09-2011, 11:25 PM
The fact that he has Clint Boling going with the pick right after when Boling is at best a 3rd rounder tells me all I need to know. Also Allen Bailey as a first rounder is comical as well.

hawaiiansteel
02-10-2011, 12:15 AM
The fact that he has Clint Boling going with the pick right after when Boling is at best a 3rd rounder tells me all I need to know. Also Allen Bailey as a first rounder is comical as well.

I watched Clint Boling in the Senior Bowl and he actually played pretty well, but I do agree that he's not a first rounder...and you're right, neither is Allen Bailey.

out of curiousity, why do you like Rashad Carmichael better than Curtis Brown?

steelblood
02-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Overall, that is a reasonable draft, well conceived draft.

Browns look like they are switching to a 4-3, but Jordan still fits that scheme pretty well. I agree with that "surprise" pick.

The one shock for me is Marcel Dareus going after Nevis, JJ Watt, and Paea. That would be pretty unbelievable. I'd trade up for Dareus at that point. I think he is a top 10 talent. He fought some injuries this season. But, when healthy he always needs double teamed. He'd really improve our pass defense as he'd be an almost Ngata-like force pushing the pocket.

Oviedo
02-10-2011, 09:03 AM
So much of our deaft will be determined by the status of Starks and Colon. I just can't see though how we don't go after immediate help in the secondary

steelerkeylargo
02-10-2011, 10:47 AM
So much of our deaft will be determined by the status of Starks and Colon. I just can't see though how we don't go after immediate help in the secondary

I agree on the starks and colon front.

steelerkeylargo
02-10-2011, 10:50 AM

I watched Clint Boling in the Senior Bowl and he actually played pretty well, but I do agree that he's not a first rounder...and you're right, neither is Allen Bailey.

Carmichael is a clasic Steeler off-man corner (insert jokes here) . Keeps everything in front of him, tackles very well and rarely gives up a big play. His only knock is he is only 5'10.

Oviedo
02-10-2011, 11:59 AM

Carmichael is a clasic Steeler off-man corner (insert jokes here) . Keeps everything in front of him, tackles very well and rarely gives up a big play. His only knock is he is only 5'10.

I liked Carmichael until I saw him get abused during the Bowl game they played. He was flat out embrassed.

Do you think we have not learned anything and the "classic Steelers off-man corner" may be a thing of the past and will not work for us anymore.

As the draft in my sig indicates I want a couple of new CBs.

papillon
02-10-2011, 12:43 PM
The Steelers do not draft for need and if they do they target a specific player and then make the necessary moves to go and get him (Troy Polamalu). Otherwise, they will identify players by position and rank them and put a round on them and they will draft the BPA when their time comes in the first round.

Pappy

steelerkeylargo
02-10-2011, 07:01 PM

I liked Carmichael until I saw him get abused during the Bowl game they played. He was flat out embrassed.

Do you think we have not learned anything and the "classic Steelers off-man corner" may be a thing of the past and will not work for us anymore.

As the draft in my sig indicates I want a couple of new CBs.

Carmichael was playing hurt that game and Iwhile I would love to see more press man coverage, until it happens consistently I wouldn't assume anything. I like your draft. I think Jalil Brown would be the 3rd, Reid the 4th and Guy in the 5th though. I like Neild as well, Hoke type guy.

Shawn
02-10-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm a BIG fan of Chekwa in the third. That would be a terrific value for a kid with alot of talent and a high ceiling. He is a bit raw, seen him get burnt hard a couple times this season. But, I like the kid's tools, and think he can be coached out of mental mistakes.

hawaiiansteel
02-11-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm a BIG fan of Chekwa in the third. That would be a terrific value for a kid with alot of talent and a high ceiling. He is a bit raw, seen him get burnt hard a couple times this season. But, I like the kid's tools, and think he can be coached out of mental mistakes.

well, it sure is a good thing that you're not an Ohio St homer or anything... :lol: :moon

Shawn
02-11-2011, 06:44 PM

well, it sure is a good thing that you're not an Ohio St homer or anything... :lol: :moon

As many will remember I am pretty even handed when evaluating OSU talent. I was very against drafting Gibson. He was cut. I never thought his style fit our scheme. I know OSU talent the best because I watch them the most. I don't want any Buckeye on this team that can't play.

Chekwa is far from a sure thing. There is a real reason he is being listed as a third round talent. What I will say though is he was the best DB on a very good OSU D. He is fast, can move well with the best WR on the opposing team and generally played very well. What I remember seeing though is some mental breakdowns and subsequent points being made from those mistakes. It appears to be a mental issue rather than a talent issue. With some good coaching I think he can be a good starter in the NFL.

hawaiiansteel
02-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Chekwa is far from a sure thing. There is a real reason he is being listed as a third round talent. What I will say though is he was the best DB on a very good OSU D. He is fast, can move well with the best WR on the opposing team and generally played very well. What I remember seeing though is some mental breakdowns and subsequent points being made from those mistakes. It appears to be a mental issue rather than a talent issue. With some good coaching I think he can be a good starter in the NFL.

just kidding with you Shawn... :Cheers

good thing Ray Horton is gone then, my prediction is that Arizona's defense will rank near the bottom in all statistical categories next season.

I can't think of one current Steeler DB whose game has developed and improved under Horton...

Shawn
02-11-2011, 10:52 PM

just kidding with you Shawn... :Cheers

good thing Ray Horton is gone then, my prediction is that Arizona's defense will rank near the bottom in all statistical categories next season.

I can't think of one current Steeler DB whose game has developed and improved under Horton...

I figured but wasn't sure. I really try to be as objective as possible when it comes to the draft...and specifically towards Buckeyes. I have missed on a couple over the past several years (que the Clarett comments :) ) but I do see alot of these guys.