PDA

View Full Version : Depot's draft predictions...

Stewie
02-09-2011, 08:06 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/02/st ... arly-look/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/02/steelers-2011-draft-needs-an-early-look/)

Oviedo
02-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Pretty accurate. Best part was "Madison won't be reatined" and "draft a couple of CBs."

hawaiiansteel
02-09-2011, 02:14 PM
we have a lot of needs this year and aren't going to be able to fill them all via the draft. it's easy to say that we won't retain a lot of our free agents but who then fills their shoes, rookies?

either way, the Steelers are going to have to be active in FA as well, I don't see us making a big splash but some holes will need to be filled and the draft alone won't suffice.

Oviedo
02-09-2011, 03:08 PM
we have a lot of needs this year and aren't going to be able to fill them all via the draft. it's easy to say that we won't retain a lot of our free agents but who then fills their shoes, rookies?

either way, the Steelers are going to have to be active in FA as well, I don't see us making a big splash but some holes will need to be filled and the draft alone won't suffice.

They won't be active in FA needing to sign Woodley, Taylor and Colon. The cap just won't allow it except for 2nd tier back up guys for depth.

papillon
02-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Remember guys the Steelers participate in free agent signings, just not other team's free agents, they focus on signing their own top tier free agents. They use other team's second tier free agents to compete for backup positions. Of course, there are exceptions (Farrior), but for the most part this is the free agent model the Steelers use.

Benefits:

You know the player
You know how he fits in your plans and schemes
There is no guessing about the players character, attitude or work ethic
Keeps a core competency and continuity

Cons:

The Steelers don't make Sports Center for signing first tier free agents
That's about it on the con side of things.

This method works folks and if you think about it; unless, you are in dire need at one position why would you open the vault to a player that has never been a part of the Steeler family?

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
02-09-2011, 05:43 PM

They won't be active in FA needing to sign Woodley, Taylor and Colon. The cap just won't allow it except for 2nd tier back up guys for depth.

by saying the Steelers needed to be active in free agency I meant in both signing their own priority FAs and some 2nd tier guys like we did last year in Jonathan Scott, Arnaz Battle, Will Allen, ARE and Larry Foote...we have too many holes to fill using only the draft.