PDA

View Full Version : Bitter Taste of Defeat

SteelCrazy
02-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Ok, I admit it. We came up short. There were turnovers where there shouldn’t have been and quite possibly some major confusion/indecision where it all should have been worked out. The “better forming” team that day won. I get it Packers fans, I get it.

But here’s one thing that I don’t understand, and quite frankly, never will. People are almost ashamed of announcing the allegiance to a team until something great happens. Leading up to this Super Bowl I could count on one hand how many Packers fans that lived around me and that I worked with. Now suddenly those same exact people who had no allegiance whatsoever are now life-long Cheeseheads have been for years. This leads me to believe one of two things; you don’t have what it takes to stand up for what you believe in, a gutless wonder. Or you’re a wagon-jumper, aka front runner.

Waking up Monday morning I expected to be bombarded with hate mail, negative Facebook comments, and even voicemail messages slandering the Steelers dynasty. How we got so close and failed once again. How Green Bay was such a superior team in every aspect that we never had a shot. And just as I anticipated I couldn’t get away from the “Steelers Suck” emails and “Green Bay Had It All The Way” texts. Tell me this then, Mr. Naysayer, how is it that in games where it looks like we’re going to lose we always find ways to come back and make it extremely close? I could see if it was one time a season, but four or five games including the biggest spectacle of them all? Seems to be a trend here…

I expected it to be rubbed in, and I was ready for it. But what I didn’t really expect was the calm, cool, and collected tone of the loss showed by the entire Nation. I’m sure there’s a few people here and there that can go on 60 minute rants about how the weather may have been a factor or the refs were in on some scheme to screw us over. Or maybe that Big Ben was payed off to throw those interceptions and Troy didn’t run as fast. Those kinds of fans are expected anywhere, no bigger place than Dallas. But I think people are failing to see the bigger picture here. At the beginning of the season no one ever expected us to come this far. It all started with Ben’s suspension. By most analysts’ accounts we were dead in the water before even running the first play. Dixon couldn’t throw well, and Leftwich was just not the type of player that we thought he’d be. But we got through it. Then injury hit us like a Mack truck taking our entire O line out of the equation. We handled that too. And every single time someone decided to tell us that we couldn’t do something, we got right back up and showed just how badass we were. That’s dedication. That’s heart. That’s what this season came down to.

For anyone who’s a diehard fan of this organization this feeling is nothing new. We all know the sting of coming so close and having it taken from us. But in spite of everything that’s happened we have held together, a cohesive unit, a family unlike any other. We’ll go on tomorrow, and the next day, and the one after until next season (presuming there is one). Sure we’ll look back on this moment, but not with disdain and hatred. We accomplished something no other team had, and the tradition will continue.

http://www.steelcitymafia.com/ssp/blogs?id=75

LordVile
02-08-2011, 10:55 PM
:Beer
i'm feeling a bit better, I knew one of my Steeler Bretheren would post something positive.
I started tearing up right before the game Started cuz my heart told me of what was to come. but also, that we could hold our heads high, no matter what the outcome.
GO STEELERS

skyhawk
02-08-2011, 11:40 PM
We all know the core of this team is SOLID. More than ever. That's why (we) I am not bitter and not depressed. And not worried about next season. We'll be in the playoffs once again and doing this, as always: :tt2

Crash
02-08-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm bitter at the game plan on both sides of the ball, especially throwing with 2 TE and 3 TEs on the field early.

This was the game that Brown and Sanders, even Randle El too, should have been on the field more early than Spaeth and Johnson, and they weren't.

Speath adds NOTHING to this team. And he plays like a starter.

SidSmythe
02-09-2011, 08:40 AM
I agree
many people i know were pulling for the PACKERS and were expecting an easy win.

MY PHONE was going off all 1st half w/ TEXT messages.
BUT I got none in the 2nd half b/c I think people saw the Steelers were for real once again.

Nothing but class from Packers fans
and no hate on Facebook, etc cuz all other teams wish they were Steeler fans!! :tt2

flippy
02-09-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm bummed we lost, but it's not as bad as when we lost to Dallas. Guess it's better knowing we won 2 SBs recently.

Plus we had a chance to win in the end and have no one to blame but ourselves. We played about as awful a game of football as I can remember (aside from the recent Pats game) and we were playing for a chance to win with 2 minutes left.

This is a resilient team. Mike Tomlin's clearly changed the level of expectation of these men. And he's in their heads. We just didn't pull it out this time. But most of the time we do in these situations.

We'll be back and have something to prove to the world.

The best is ahead.

DkBlue
02-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Nobody expected the Steelers to even get there this year.

It was an especially bitter loss given what was at stake and how bad they played. Realistically it was perdictable after watching the second half of the Jets game.

Green Bay is much better than the Jets yet they moved the ball at will and almost came back to take the game.

We need better DB's. The much maligned O'line played very well, hats off to Legursky.

Ben's lack of film study hurts him I think. NFL Playbook pointed out many open receivers on plays that were incomplete. Most especially were plays where Heath Miller was all alone.

I think Ben goes for the big chuncks of yardage too often when he could make an easy completion.

proudpittsburgher
02-09-2011, 10:34 AM
I agree
Nothing but class from Packers fans
and no hate on Facebook, etc cuz all other teams wish they were Steeler fans!! :tt2

I had to take down a Browns fan friend of mine for trashing the Steelers in the loss. That would be like me, as a Pirates fan, making fun of the Yankees for losing in the World Series. Does that really make him feel better knowing the reality of what it is to be a Browns fan? Then he came back with "I'm more of a Buckeye's fan" which didn't help his case any since they blow just about every important game they play in.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-09-2011, 11:48 AM
We all know the core of this team is SOLID. More than ever. That's why (we) I am not bitter and not depressed. And not worried about next season. We'll be in the playoffs once again and doing this, as always: :tt2

The last two times we made it to the Super Bowl, we failed to even make the playoffs the following season. We have some significant FA signings we need to take care of, and I wouldn't be surprised if we lose a couple of key players. We also have some old veterans (Farrior, Smith, Hines) who may not be able to step up and contribute the way we would like. It's a tough business. I hope we're back in the playoffs next season, but I am not real optimistic.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Ben's lack of film study hurts him I think. NFL Playbook pointed out many open receivers on plays that were incomplete. Most especially were plays where Heath Miller was all alone.

I think Ben goes for the big chuncks of yardage too often when he could make an easy completion.

I give some blame to BA for not getting Miller involved as a target earlier in the game. But certainly, later on, I'm not sure why Ben ignored him. It was almost like Ben was determined NOT to take what the Packers were giving him.

The Sodfather
02-09-2011, 11:55 AM
He missed Miller a couple of times in the 1st quarter.

1st possession he missed him for a first down.

Crash
02-09-2011, 01:00 PM

He threw it high on that 3rd down on the second drive. Miller was grabbed and should have been a flag there.

People can shut up about the officials now, because that first half was a joke. All the Packers do is grab around the waist before the ball arrives.

That "hold" they called on Miller on Matthews was a joke too. Heath never grabbed him, he got perfect leverage and Clay lost his balance.

DkBlue
02-09-2011, 01:12 PM

He threw it high on that 3rd down on the second drive. Miller was grabbed and should have been a flag there.

People can shut up about the officials now, because that first half was a joke. All the Packers do is grab around the waist before the ball arrives.

That "hold" they called on Miller on Matthews was a joke too. Heath never grabbed him, he got perfect leverage and Clay lost his balance.

Perhaps that's why it appeared that the Steeler receivers were not getting much separation.

Crash
02-09-2011, 01:17 PM
OLB's know when they get held. Clay didn't even try to work the official.

Just like the PG trying to blame Wallace for "not fighting" for the ball on pick #2. He couldn't, he was grabbed by the DB covering him and the second guy jumped the route.

The Sodfather
02-09-2011, 01:29 PM

So it was the 2nd possession. That doesn't make the throw any better.

I agree about the Miller hold but quit your whining about the refs. You sound like a seahawks fan.

Crash
02-09-2011, 01:38 PM
I didn't think that throw was that bad. He put it high where only Miller gets it. The worst "high throw" he made was the one to Wallace in the 3rd, hung him out to dry a tad.

skyhawk
02-09-2011, 04:47 PM

The last two times we made it to the Super Bowl, we failed to even make the playoffs the following season. We have some significant FA signings we need to take care of, and I wouldn't be surprised if we lose a couple of key players. We also have some old veterans (Farrior, Smith, Hines) who may not be able to step up and contribute the way we would like. It's a tough business. I hope we're back in the playoffs next season, but I am not real optimistic.

I think Farrior will retire. Who will replace him? Sylvester?

NC Steeler Fan
02-09-2011, 05:01 PM

I agree with you that was blown holding call on Heath and just figured it was one of many
to come. :?

skyhawk
02-09-2011, 05:13 PM
[quote="The Sodfather":3q84l2wx]He missed Miller a couple of times in the 1st quarter.

I agree with you that was blown holding call on Heath and just figured it was one of many
to come. :?[/quote:3q84l2wx]

Totally a bad call. At least the calls against the Seahawks were legit ;)

ScoreKeeper
02-09-2011, 06:04 PM
That one had me bitching. What a horrible call.