PDA

View Full Version : Did Steelers Miss Chance to Run to a Title?

hawaiiansteel
02-08-2011, 07:02 PM
February 8, 2011

Did Steelers Miss Chance to Run to a Title?

By GEORGE BRETHERTON

The Steelers were at their best early in the second half of the Super Bowl. Let’s take a look at their offensive play selections:

First possession of third quarter Run, run, run, run, run. Result: Touchdown.

Second possession of third quarter (first three plays) Run, pass, run. Result: First down in Green Bay territory.

Now let’s recap the sequence in detail. Rashard Mendenhall’s 8-yard touchdown run less than five minutes into the second half capped a 50-yard drive that was churned out exclusively on the ground. Green Bay’s lead, which had been 21-3, was narrowed to 21-17. When the Steelers’ defense forced a three-and-out on Green Bay’s next possession, Cowboys Stadium was roaring. The Steelers got the ball back at their 40-yard line, and three plays later, Mewelde Moore ran for 7 yards on third-and-1 to give the Steelers a first down at the Packer 44.

Was it a perfect opportunity to ground and pound to a seventh Super Bowl title?

The Steelers’ rushing attack had already gained 119 yards on 20 carries and was well on its way toward putting its stamp on the game. Heading into the Super Bowl, one of the key statistics working in the Steelers’ favor was their ability to run and the relative weakness of the Packers’ 18th-ranked rushing defense. The Steelers’ rushing success presented a great opportunity to take time off the clock, to neutralize the playmaking of Packers linebacker Clay Matthews and to keep Aaron Rodgers off the field. So it seemed obvious for Pittsburgh to continue emphasizing its running game.

But apparently it wasn’t.

After Moore picked up that first down at the Green Bay 44, the Steelers ran the ball only three more times the rest of the way. On that possession after Moore’s first down, the Steelers threw or attempted to throw on their next five plays.

When Ben Roethlisberger was sacked at the Green Bay 34 on a third-and-13, the Steelers’ second drive of the third quarter had officially stalled. And when Shaun Suisham followed with a missed field-goal attempt from 52 yards, the Steelers’ roll in the first 10 minutes of the third quarter had stalled as well.

One of the key plays of the game — and the last Steelers rushing attempt — came when Mendenhall fumbled on the first play of the fourth quarter. But by then, the momentum had already evaporated.

Pittsburgh’s final rushing totals — 23 attempts for 126 yards (5.5 yard average) and a TD — were good. But they could have been great, and could have led to a seventh Steelers championship.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011 ... more-73883 (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/did-steelers-miss-chance-to-run-to-a-title/#more-73883)

sd steel
02-08-2011, 07:15 PM
That why I still think we lost this game on the first possesion. Arians lines up in a run formation then tries to throw a curveball by passing and we go three and out and find ourselves down 14-0. If he would have stuck with what worked against the Jets, and committed to the run on the first series we win this game, because we would have seen right away that we could run, thus taking the pressure off of Ben.

SteelStallion
02-08-2011, 07:27 PM
I agree with this. I thought this in both the SB and the Jets games (3rd qtr)

ANPSTEEL
02-08-2011, 07:55 PM
That why I still think we lost this game on the first possesion. Arians lines up in a run formation then tries to throw a curveball by passing and we go three and out and find ourselves down 14-0. If he would have stuck with what worked against the Jets, and committed to the run on the first series we win this game, because we would have seen right away that we could run, thus taking the pressure off of Ben.

I thought the most valuable thing the team could have done, was to effectively duplicate that initial 9 minute opening drive- they had against the Jets.

It set the tone, and got the Jets offense a little flat prior to coming out.

If you've ever sat on the sideline for that 9 min (half hour real time) you know what I mean. Some of your "initial" edge is off by the time you actually get in the game.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
02-08-2011, 08:07 PM
I said before the game that IF the Steelers ran the ball 30-35 times they would win. We had them and let them off the hook, in all I thought the offensive play calling and general offensive strategy was HORRID!!!

BradshawsHairdresser
02-08-2011, 08:11 PM
the offensive play calling and general offensive strategy was HORRID!!!

Yep. Get a good OC, and I think you would see an amazing difference. This offense underperformed all season.

Crash
02-08-2011, 08:30 PM
One of the key plays of the game — and the last Steelers rushing attempt — came when Mendenhall fumbled on the first play of the fourth quarter. But by then, the momentum had already evaporated

Oh BS...if anything they got the momentum back when Suisham missed that FG and the Packers got nothing from it.

We had first down at their 41 and ran 8 yards, then he fumbled.

That was when the momentum went out the window.

They tried to ground and pound to a seventh Super Bowl title.

Mendy fumbled on 2nd and 2 from their 33.

Crash
02-08-2011, 09:12 PM
If he would have stuck with what worked against the Jets

He did.

We passed on 4 of our first 6 plays against the Jets.

When that worked early, then we went to the heavy run.

To discuss this team one needs to actually watch it.

sd steel
02-08-2011, 10:41 PM
If he would have stuck with what worked against the Jets

He did.

We passed on 4 of our first 6 plays against the Jets.

When that worked early, then we went to the heavy run.

To discuss this team one needs to actually watch it.

Screw you you fat bald epileptic douche bag. You are such a loser it is amazing that I even read your bed ridden b!tch posts. If we would have started running immediately we would have won, instead of leaving it to your boy innocent Ben. We could have won numerous ways, but that would have Ben the easiest. But instead we had to rely on Ben so he could press and ultimately blow the game with 2 picks, one of them with Miller wide open and Hines open as well, and then an errant pass to Wallace to end it. Maybe if he stayed out of college bars and watched more tape we could of had a real successful season without the suspension and the crappy play in the Super Bowl.

Yeah sure hall of famer, in your dreams fatboy.

Crash
02-08-2011, 11:00 PM
If we would have started running immediately we would have won, instead of leaving it to your boy innocent Ben.

Don't change the words son.

You said, and I quote:

"If he would have stuck with what worked against the Jets"

That's exactly what Arians did.

Again, they threw 4 times in their opening 6 plays against the Jets.

They threw 2 times in their first three plays Sunday. Just like they did against the Jets.

The difference is, unlike against the Jets on their first three plays, they were unable to move the chains after three plays.

Don't blame me because you got caught spewing crap that wasn't true. Arians in both games to open it up, did the exact same thing.

That's on you bitch, no one else.

Watch the game before you discuss it with me. Because frankly idiots like you who don't follow this team? Aren't qualified to discuss it.

Crash
02-08-2011, 11:10 PM
By the way sd I said this before the season even started, before the first game:

You will see one WR screen to Ward on their first series. It's a staple to keep his "streak alive" and to keep him quiet about it.

And guess what? First play of the Super Bowl what did they call?

WR screen to Ward.

Watch the game, pay attention to the team and how they do things, you'll learn something.

Need help? Ask.

Ward got 4 yards, then we had to run the ball like you wanted and Mendy lost the 4 yards.

3rd and 10 after two plays to open the game, did you want them to run the ball?

You mouthbreathers who wish it was 1975 need to do more than just read the paper and chug Iron City beer.

papillon
02-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Careful fellas do not make it personal. Discuss it, argue about it, debate it, or forget it, but please don't start the juvenile name calling and adolescent behavior.

Pappy

Chadman
02-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Yeah, uncalled for SD. You're better than that mate.

Shake cyber hands & move on.

Crash
02-08-2011, 11:55 PM

That's all they got when they know they spew crap. A typical yinzer blowhard who doesn't follow the team.

No big deal to me. I think it's funny he had to resort to that rather than just admit he was wrong.

Chadman
02-08-2011, 11:57 PM

That's all they got when they know they spew crap. A typical yinzer blowhard who doesn't follow the team.

No big deal to me. I think it's funny he had to resort to that rather than just admit he was wrong.

We aren't playing internet tough guys here mate.

:D

hawaiiansteel
02-09-2011, 01:42 AM
We aren't playing internet tough guys here mate.
:D

come on Chadman, bring it baby... :lol:

http://www.zunal.com/myaccount/uploads/clip_image001(18).jpg

sd steel
02-09-2011, 02:06 AM

I apologize, but I'm not going to be accused of not watching the games. I have played and coached and know more football than the boards Big Ben apologist and resident idiot known as Crush. I am tired of everyone letting him get away with his internet tough guy antics. My point was we should have ran immediately, not we should have ran the same plays that we ran in the first series against the Jets. We were expected to run, and we went to a run formation and then we threw.

I have watched all the games and have them DVRed, but I haven't sat down and watched them over and over like Crush obviously has, but I'm not going to take his drivel or his attack on my post because he has time to go over game tape everyday because he has nothing else better to do with his time. I haven't missed a game in 10 years, and I am a Pittsburgh Steeler fan, not just a Big Ben fan/apologist like Crush. Why don't you go back to your own busy board and stir the drink over there? Maybe because you have no posters?

Crash
02-09-2011, 02:47 AM
My point was we should have ran immediately

Um, no, your point was that:

"If he would have stuck with what worked against the Jets"

And Arians did that. The difference you simpleton, is that it didn't work like it did against the Jets.

You keep digging a bigger hole. Just admit you blew it with your stupid bash Arians comment which made no sense, shut your mouth and move on.

Crash
02-09-2011, 02:55 AM
And who is Crush? It's C-R-A-S-H.

Learn the basics son, then come up to the adult table.

sd steel
02-09-2011, 09:37 AM
And who is Crush? It's C-R-A-S-H.

Learn the basics son, then come up to the adult table.

I changed it to Crush, because of your Crush on Ben. Learn the basics? You haven't even played or coached a down of football, you are a 40+ year old computer/stat geek, who talks a big game over the internet. Remember Crush I know your story, I have been here since the Trib boards over 10 years ago, and I saw you get kicked out/quit Stiller Nation and go home with your brother because you couldn't handle the unedited internet when they personally attacked you. Why don't you let everyone know what you do for a living Keith?

BradshawsHairdresser
02-09-2011, 10:01 AM
The author of the article makes a good point. I was very surprised how well our running game was working. We probably shouldn't have gone away from it when we did.

I think he's wrong, though, about our momentum being completely gone before the Mendy fumble. That fumble was a real killer. That ball isn't coughed up, I think we march down the field and this game has a different outcome.

Crash
02-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Remember Crush I know your story, I have been here since the Trib boards over 10 years ago, and I saw you get kicked out/quit Stiller Nation and go home with your brother because you couldn't handle the unedited internet when they personally attacked you.

Um, no. Wrong again clown shoes. I made a harmless joke about the beloved "stemmy's" and their website owner had a fit.

So others claimed it was my fault that people called me out, so I left. I was never kicked out.

Anything else you need to know?

No, I'm not a stat geek, I'm just someone who follows this team better than most.

You should try it sometime. You'll be better off.

Keep digging that hole boy. Maybe you'll hit China.

Crash
02-09-2011, 12:52 PM
The author of the article makes a good point. I was very surprised how well our running game was working. We probably shouldn't have gone away from it when we did.

I think he's wrong, though, about our momentum being completely gone before the Mendy fumble. That fumble was a real killer. That ball isn't coughed up, I think we march down the field and this game has a different outcome.

Exactly. We had first down at their 41 and ran for 8 yards, then they ran again on 2nd and 2 following a TV timeout and he fumbled.

So with a first down at the 41 we ran twice, and it didn't work.

We also had a 2nd and 6 on the second play of the game and Mendy lost 4 yards because Jonathan Scott failed to take out the DE on his block.

So we had 3rd and 10 and suckdicksteel here was probably calling for a running play.

:Bow