PDA

View Full Version : Rumor:Cards targeting Horton to run defense

grotonsteel
02-08-2011, 04:49 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41478039/ ... ayer_news/ (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41478039/ns/sports-player_news/)

According to Mike Jurecki of XTRA Sports 910 in Phoenix, the Cardinals are zeroing in on Steelers defensive backs coach Ray Horton as their next defensive coordinator.

Jurecki is alone on this one, and he stopped shy of reporting it as hard news. Steelers LBs coach Keith Butler, believed to be Arizona's top choice, was apparently denied permission to interview. While Butler is seen as the eventual successor to Dick LeBeau, Horton has made it clear that he would welcome the opportunity to run his own defense in another locale. Horton stated last week that he's comfortable with the 4-3 or the 3-4 defense, though it seems coach Ken Whisenhunt wants an overhaul to the LeBeau-style 3-4 scheme.

Can Whiz hire some guys who are not related to Steelers??? Atleast he went after the weakest link on Steelers Defense.

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Take my DB coach...please!

http://www.loti.com/articles/Timeless_Laughter_html_58a3d304.jpg

Ghost
02-08-2011, 05:15 PM

You are old (and apparently so I am for getting this reference....)

steelblood
02-08-2011, 05:15 PM
This would be fantastic news! How quickly do you think Tomlin would call John Lynch?

Mister Pittsburgh
02-08-2011, 05:21 PM
This would be fantastic news! How quickly do you think Tomlin would call John Lynch?
wow. that would be alright with me.

ScoreKeeper
02-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Horton talking to the Cowboys.

NW Steeler
02-08-2011, 05:39 PM
C-YA!!!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Horton talking to the Cowboys.

On Sirius NFL Radio 2 Minute Drill a little while ago, they reported that Horton turn down Arizona to accept a position on Rob Ryan' defensive staff in Dallas.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-08-2011, 06:20 PM
amazing our secondary coach is wanted even though our secondary has been torched for years.

costanza2k1
02-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Raiders are also looking at Horton...they probably don't know why they are, they only know 2 other teams are looking at him so they must as well.

NW Steeler
02-08-2011, 07:15 PM
This from the Steelers official Facebook page:

Arizona is denied permission to interview LB coach Keith Butler. Arizona, Dallas both get permission to interview DB coach Ray Horton.

Is something else in the works regarding Butler? I wonder if we may see some real turnover in the coaching staff, such as DL and BA both leaving. Not that I think that either or both of them leaving is a good thing or not, but I guess we'll find out.

hawaiiansteel
02-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Steelers Coaching: Key assistants now in focus

Tuesday, February 08, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201101/dianasteelers011911_03_330.jpg

Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Steelers defensive coordinator D!ck LeBeau talks with Aaron Smith during afternoon practice on the South Side last month.

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Steelers probably will have to endure more than just a loss to the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV. There is a good chance they will lose several of their assistant coaches, including one of their coordinators, as well.

The most significant possibilities involve their coordinators -- D!ck LeBeau and Bruce Arians -- each of whom is in the final year of his contract.

LeBeau is expected to return for his eighth season as coordinator in 2011, though not before another NFL team takes what might just be a whimsical run at his services.

But, the situation with Arians, the offensive coordinator since '07, is a bit more tenuous.

Despite running an offense that became more balanced with the production of Rashard Mendenhall and saw the quick development of young receivers Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown, it is possible Arians won't be with the team next season -- a move that will dramatically affect quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger has been given almost total command of the offense under Arians and has developed a close personal relationship with him and his family.

LeBeau's situation could have an impact on other coaching moves, too.

The Arizona Cardinals will seek permission this week to talk with linebackers coach Keith Butler about becoming their defensive coordinator, though not before LeBeau's old friend -- Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt -- checks to see if LeBeau is willing to listen to an offer.

Nobody is expecting LeBeau to leave the Steelers because he is so loyal to his players and, in turn, beloved by them.

And he said last week, during the lead-up to the Super Bowl, "I promise you, if I'm coaching [in 2011], it will be the Pittsburgh Steelers."

That's why, in all probability, the search for a defensive coordinator will turn to Butler, who has been the linebackers coach since 2003.

But there is some question if the Steelers will grant Arizona permission to speak to Butler because of an agreement the team made with him when he signed a new contract after the '09 season.

When Butler turned down an opportunity to become defensive coordinator with the Miami Dolphins last February, the Steelers signed him to a new contract with the understanding he will be the "coordinator in waiting" for when LeBeau eventually retires.

Coach Mike Tomlin has always indicated that he will not stand in the way of an assistant who can better himself professionally.

But, because of the nature of Butler's new contract, it's possible the Steelers could refuse to let him interview with the Cardinals.

If that happens, the Cardinals will probably interview secondary coach Ray Horton for the position because they are seeking a LeBeau disciple to run their 3-4 defense. Horton has been with LeBeau since their days with the Cincinnati Bengals.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11039/1123799-13.stm

kindlecatsb'ng
02-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Aloha, HS:

I love the pic of your little one. What is the pedigree? Too cute!

Kindle :tt1

msp26505
02-08-2011, 09:47 PM

You are old (and apparently so I am for getting this reference....)

That's three of us.

Crash
02-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Butler denies that there is any "deal" to succeed LeBeau.

phillyesq
02-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Losing Horton seems to be addition by subtraction.

He did nothing to develop Lewis or Burnett, to the point where Anthony Madison was receiving regular reps as the time back over Lewis. Willie Gay also seems to have regressed since 2008.

Steelgal
02-08-2011, 11:44 PM
Another article on it http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardina ... orton.html (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2011/02/08/20110208arizona-cardinals-defensive-coordinator-ray-horton.html)

papillon
02-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Did anybody stop to think that Horton is a better coach than any of us arm chair GMs and talent evaluators is giving him credit for? Just sayin...

Maybe Troy and Ike aren't as good as we think and the others are really bad and Horton was able to coach them up to get within one drive of winning the Super Bowl. Did anyone ever consider this notion?

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
02-09-2011, 02:07 AM
Reports: Cards choose Horton to run defense

Feb. 8, 2011 - 4:50 PM ET

The Arizona Republic's Kent Somers confirms Steelers DBs coach Ray Horton will sign on as the Cardinals' next defensive coordinator Wednesday.

It turns out Mike Jurecki of XTRA 910 in Phoenix was right all along. Since coach Ken Whisenhunt knows Horton from their time together in Pittsburgh, the Wednesday interview will be formality. Horton is expected to bring D!ck LeBeau's system to Arizona, so the defense will remain a 3-4 alignment. Aging pass rusher Joey Porter obviously knows the scheme well, and O'Brien Schofield could emerge on the opposite side.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41480008/ ... ayer_news/ (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41480008/ns/sports-player_news/)

Mister Pittsburgh
02-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Sounds like Whiz would of taken the female asian trainer we have if she knew anything about Lebeau's 3-4 defense. Maybe Horton will take Willy Gay and trade us a 5th for McFadden..... :stirpot

SteelBucks
02-09-2011, 11:28 AM
wow. that would be alright with me.

+1

Oviedo
02-09-2011, 11:40 AM
This from the Steelers official Facebook page:

Arizona is denied permission to interview LB coach Keith Butler. Arizona, Dallas both get permission to interview DB coach Ray Horton.

Is something else in the works regarding Butler? I wonder if we may see some real turnover in the coaching staff, such as DL and BA both leaving. Not that I think that either or both of them leaving is a good thing or not, but I guess we'll find out.

I love that they told Whiz to shove it as far as Butler is concerned. Screw him trying to built his future by leeching off what the Steelers have developed. How about trying to do it yourself?

You know Whiz like how you developed and managed your QB situation?

This seems to be confirmation that Butler is the man in the future.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Did anybody stop to think that Horton is a better coach than any of us arm chair GMs and talent evaluators is giving him credit for? Just sayin...

Maybe Troy and Ike aren't as good as we think and the others are really bad and Horton was able to coach them up to get within one drive of winning the Super Bowl. Did anyone ever consider this notion?

Pappy

Good point. I think there might be a good reason that Dallas and Arizona and the Raiders were all so interested in a d-backs coach.

Hope we can get a good one to replace him.

Oviedo
02-09-2011, 12:15 PM

Pappy

Good point. I think there might be a good reason that Dallas and Arizona and the Raiders were all so interested in a d-backs coach.

Hope we can get a good one to replace him.

While I hope we get a good coach, I hope even more we get a talented CB and S in the first four rounds of this draft. Some legit talent will help make the coach look good. The talent we have in our secondary now beyond Ike and Troy is B-team quality.

snarky
02-09-2011, 12:19 PM
If Butler is the guy of the future, the Steelers have to lock him up by any means necessary. If that means moving DL to an advisory role this off-season, so be it. We have about ten more years where we could win a SB with Roethlisberger and beyond that we are probably going to face a year or two of rebuilding. We can't afford to be without a quality DC in three years time because Butler got away from us.

It sucks to say this because DL has been great for this team. But his age is going to catch up with him sooner or later and we have to be ready for that moment.

costanza2k1
02-09-2011, 12:38 PM
If Butler is the guy of the future, the Steelers have to lock him up by any means necessary.

He already signed an extension last year, so I think he's good. He says he stays here because the Rooneys took care of him.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-09-2011, 01:37 PM
It's also expected that former Steelers defensive back Deshea Townsend will be hired as an assistant under Horton, sources said.

First I have seen Deshea Townsend's name tossed in there with coaching.....

SteelBucks
02-09-2011, 06:47 PM
It's official.........

Steelers' secondary coach hired as Arizona's defensive coordinator
Wednesday, February 09, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Arizona Cardinals have hired Steelers secondary coach Ray Horton to be their defensive coordinator, the Post-Gazette has learned.

The Cardinals will hold a 6 p.m. EST press conference to announce the hiring.

Horton, who has been a secondary coach with the Steelers since 2004, will be reunited with former Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, who is Arizona's head coach.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11040/11 ... z1DVLQyo1y (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11040/1124303-100.stm#ixzz1DVLQyo1y)

hawaiiansteel
02-09-2011, 06:50 PM
right on, our off-season is off to a great start! :tt2

SteelBucks
02-09-2011, 07:27 PM
One question, can teams sign coaches during the lockout or are all signings suspended until a new CBA is reached? I know teams can't sign players...I wasn't sure if it applies to coaches as well.

The Sodfather
02-10-2011, 09:28 AM

Can't be. All our coaches suck.

RuthlessBurgher
02-10-2011, 11:23 AM

Pappy

There is a reason that the team did not allow Butler to interview anywhere (he's a vital part of our defensive staff and has a long term future with the team) and they had no problem whatsoever with Horton peddling his wares (we could do without him; the secondary has our weakest link on defense by far for a long time now, so we could certainly improve there).