PDA

View Full Version : Haiti thinks we won SB: Caution, this is heartbreaking

SteelCrazy
02-08-2011, 04:26 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/straightface72/steelers20champs.jpg

On Sunday, the Green Bay Packers won Super Bowl XLV.

On Monday, roughly $2 million worth of licensed NFL merchandise proclaiming the losing Pittsburgh Steelers as the victors was being processed for shipment to needy people in Zambia, Romania, Armenia, and Haiti.

The NFL -- as well as retailers like Sports Authority and Dick’s (DKS) -- pre-print memorabilia for both teams, so the winners’ gear is ready to wear as soon as the final second on the game clock ticks down. In the past, the NFL destroyed non-winning “winning” gear, to ensure misprints never entered the market. But in 1991, after US Customs officials at Los Angeles International Airport confiscated a shipment of counterfeit NFL goods and donated them to World Vision, a Christian humanitarian organization operating in over 100 countries, the league agreed to donate mismarked post-season apparel, as well.

Jeff Fields, World Vision’s senior director for corporate relations, is overseeing this year’s distribution of shirts and caps celebrating a Pittsburgh win that never happened

Fields tells Minyanville that “a large amount of product [is being sent out] this year because of the huge following the Steelers have,” though that following does not generally extend to the places where World Vision operates.

“We’re usually in pretty remote areas outside the capital cities, working with people who are focused on day-to-day survival,” Jeff Fields, World Vision’s senior director for corporate relations, tells Minyanville. “So, they aren’t really following US sports.”

Fields, a Pittsburgh native, won’t be taking so much as a cap for himself as a reminder of what could have been.

“With this particular product, with the NFL, we have to send it overseas,” he says. “The league doesn’t want it surfacing on eBay (EBAY) or something like that.”

Dr Gerald Murray, a professor of anthropology and Haiti expert at the University of Florida, tells Minyanville that those thousands of shirts -- even ones that may go unworn -- can be of great help.

This type of aid is tricky -- it could get confiscated by the government, they could make you pay all sorts of exorbitant taxes to get it into the country, there are all sorts of mechanisms to steal. There are about a million people still living in camps in Port au Prince, so some of it may get worn. However, if you can get it in and spread it out among the population, it’s more likely its first destination would be the marketplace. There’s a vigorous trade among Haitians in selling used clothes, especially when they cross the border into the Dominican Republic. That would make this sort of item very helpful as a source of income.

A few years ago, Time magazine’s Jim Rogers explored the market for cast-off apparel in parts of the Third World.

Central America has, for years, been a dumping ground for unwanted used clothing from the United States, thanks to church giveaways, hurricane relief drives and other charitable and business endeavors. The legacy of that goodwill has turned Nicaragua's streets into a living, if slightly tattered, scrapbook of pop culture memories: everything from ‘Avoid the Noid’ and ‘Party Animal, Spuds Mackenzie,’ to ‘I'm Too Sexy for My Shirt.
Those wearing the tees are either unaware of or unconcerned by the meaning of the English messages they bear. It's not uncommon to see a man wearing a T-shirt boasting ‘World's Best Grandma,’ or a young girl wearing a shirt lamenting ‘Stripping ruined my life.’ I've seen an old woman in ‘I Love AC/DC,’ an indigenous grandmother with a shirt bragging, "My boyfriend is hotter than yours," and another disclosing that ‘My boyfriend is out of town.’

Sometimes, the message can be downright subversive. Once in Costa Rica, a friend and I were waiting for a bus when a group of tough-looking teenagers approached and gave us a hard look. But the leader of the pack was wearing a T-shirt that read: ‘I'm not a bitch, I just suffer from permanent PMS.’ I didn't know whether to hand him my wallet or a Motrin.

http://www.minyanville.com/businessmark ... 1/id/32693 (http://www.minyanville.com/businessmarkets/articles/sports-apparel-superbowl-xlv-pittsburgh-steelers/2/8/2011/id/32693)

ScoreKeeper
02-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Sometimes, the message can be downright subversive. Once in Costa Rica, a friend and I were waiting for a bus when a group of tough-looking teenagers approached and gave us a hard look. But the leader of the pack was wearing a T-shirt that read: ‘I'm not a bitch, I just suffer from permanent PMS.’ I didn't know whether to hand him my wallet or a Motrin.
Thanks man, I needed that today. :lol: :lol:

JTP53609
02-09-2011, 09:34 AM
the hats were ugly this year anyway....almost as ugly as the seahawk colored hats we won 2 years ago..

snarky
02-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Years ago, on engrish.com, there was a discussion about this topic with lots of people giving personal examples. One of the funniest was a kid that couldn't have been more than 7 or 9 years old wearing a shirt that said "I'm only in it for the beer".

On a more philosophical note, it really makes you realize what a rip off NFL gear is that they can print two sets of shirts, sell one shirt, give the other away and still make a hefty profit.

RuthlessBurgher
02-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Years ago, on engrish.com, there was a discussion about this topic with lots of people giving personal examples. One of the funniest was a kid that couldn't have been more than 7 or 9 years old wearing a shirt that said "I'm only in it for the beer".

On a more philosophical note, it really makes you realize what a rip off NFL gear is that they can print two sets of shirts, sell one shirt, give the other away and still make a hefty profit.

Tom's Shoes does a good job with the "one-for-one donating a pair shoes to a third world country with every sale" charitable business model.

The NFL only does this one per year. T-shirts are cheap. If you notice the Super Bowl winning locker room hats, they are generic. Everything is stitched into the hat itself except for the winning team logo. That is a stick-on patch that is applied after they know who wins, so they don't have to also donate hats. You can't do a stick-on logo for a shirt, so they must donate them (it's not out of the kindness of their hearts...just a better alternate to burning them).

Crash
02-09-2011, 02:04 PM
the hats were ugly this year anyway....almost as ugly as the seahawk colored hats we won 2 years ago..

Pitiful. I have two of those and have never worn them. But if I buy something from Steelers.com I always grab a SB XL hat for $8, that color looks good. :) n