PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben and the glove?

Iron Shiek
02-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Mike Lombardi brought up an interesting point on Bill Simmons' podcast. He seemed to think that when Ben wears the glove on his throwing hand in cold weather, the ball came off his hand smoother and whatnot. I don't even notice half the time if he's wearing it or not. I wonder if its a valid observation that he has better games with glove or not.

Obviously this is such a miniscule thing, but a worthy observation nonetheless.

He opined that Ben should look into going the Kurt Warner route and wear it all the time.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Ben threw the ball crappy against the Jets with the glove.

Crash
02-08-2011, 01:43 PM
JHFC. He wore the glove indoors at XL and struggled.

Amazing how Ben can't have ANY rough stretches of play because the shrinks will over analyze him.

Iron Shiek
02-08-2011, 01:45 PM
That was my thinking. I'm sure he's had good games with and without, and bad games with and without. I'd love for once for these guys that make these random statements to come with some facts/numbers instead of making huge assumptions.

That's why I like Pat Kirwan of all the talking heads. He pretty much brings supporting evidence to his main arguments and understands the game well.

I figured I'd rile up Crash with this post...sorry man!

steelblood
02-08-2011, 01:49 PM

Amazing how Ben can't have ANY rough stretches of play because the shrinks will over analyze him.

To be fair, any poor play in the Super Bowl is obviously up for intense scrutiny. That goes with the territory.

Crash
02-08-2011, 01:51 PM
These morons don't watch Ben except for playoff games. The national guys are too busy watching the Manning's, Rivers, Brees, and Brady every week.

Just like when Dilfer said this year, "I watched 20 games of his over two days" and realized how good he is.

Really Trent? 20 games? I haven't missed 20 SNAPS in seven years.

PSU_dropout43
02-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Ben had footing issues.

Poor footwork -> terrible mechanics -> inaccurate throws.

birtikidis
02-08-2011, 02:18 PM
I think after ben slipped and tweaked his knee was when he started throwing poorly. hard to throw when you're nervous and or hurting because of a knee.

Crash
02-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Again, he threw fine when the TEs were not on the field at the end of the half or the TD drive to Wallace.

14 plays, 143 yards, two TD drives.

No two TE's on 11 of the 14 plays.

ScoreKeeper
02-08-2011, 03:52 PM

To be fair, any poor play in the Super Bowl is obviously up for intense scrutiny. That goes with the territory.
If that were the case, then they would be critical of Elway's first winning SB, Mannings PO run and SB win, Warners SB against us (he did crap for 2.5 quarters), Brady's first SB win, and there are more.

Face it, Ben is held to a different standard. The rules change when it comes to him.

feltdizz
02-08-2011, 04:05 PM

If that were the case, then they would be critical of Elway's first winning SB, Mannings PO run and SB win, Warners SB against us (he did crap for 2.5 quarters), Brady's first SB win, and there are more.

Face it, Ben is held to a different standard. The rules change when it comes to him.

Ben IS held to a different standard because the Steelers are held in a higher regard. We went to 5 or 6 AFCCG's with average QB's... we already had 4 SB's and another SB appearance.

Most of the QB's listed were the first to take their teams to the SB.... except for Brady and we all know how much success the Pats have had over the last 25 years.

ScoreKeeper
02-08-2011, 04:11 PM

Ben IS held to a different standard because the Steelers are held in a higher regard. We went to 5 or 6 AFCCG's with average QB's... we already had 4 SB's and another SB appearance.

Most of the QB's listed were the first to take their teams to the SB.... except for Brady and we all know how much success the Pats have had over the last 25 years.
Elway and Warner had both been there before and Manning is supposed to be the second coming.

No excuses. Hold them all to the same level as Ben. And they would all fail in that regard.

skyhawk
02-08-2011, 04:41 PM

This.

It's GOT to be the reason.

Crash
02-08-2011, 08:41 PM
People were making a case last season of Peyton being the best QB.....EVER.

But yet, his 2006 playoff run is never mentioned while Ben gets his balls cut off because of SB XL and they ignore at Cincy, Indy, and Denver.

DkBlue
02-09-2011, 03:03 PM

But yet, his 2006 playoff run is never mentioned while Ben gets his balls cut off because of SB XL and they ignore at Cincy, Indy, and Denver.

if he had thrown an int like Manning to end the game he would have been crucified.

Crash
02-09-2011, 03:36 PM
if he had thrown an int like Manning to end the game he would have been crucified.

He's getting crucified now when Kemo gets his arm hit.

We both know if that were Manning and he gave one "Peyton Pouty Face" that his OL would be burned at the stake by the media.

skyhawk
02-09-2011, 04:50 PM

Um, I think Payton has been pretty crucified and criticized for his pick vs. the Saints in their SB. Unfortunately, it won't affect his chances for the Hall. For Ben, it will.

Payton is an all time great. I have nothing wrong with that. Marino didn't win much in the playoffs either and that guy could throw. Just like Manning can.

Crash
02-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Payton is an all time great. I have nothing wrong with that.

What makes him an all time great that doesn't make Ben one?

Ben's better.

ScoreKeeper
02-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Because we live in a world where FF is the ruler and people watch box scores and stat lines instead of games.

Manning is a puke. He plays in a soft division, pads his stats, and chokes when it matters. But hey, he's just f ucking AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skyhawk
02-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Because we live in a world where FF is the ruler and people watch box scores and stat lines instead of games.

Manning is a puke. He plays in a soft division, pads his stats, and chokes when it matters. But hey, he's just f ucking AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Devil's advocate.

Dan Marino and Dan Fouts didn't play in an era of FF. :stirpot

Crash
02-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Marino did. I was in FF leagues when I was 22. :)

skyhawk
02-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Marino did. I was in FF leagues when I was 22. :)

Was it a mail in league? Was it played on a board? :lol:

aggiebones
02-09-2011, 09:13 PM

Exactly. Crash, this is much more appropriate Ben arse kissing. Stay along these lines.

As for the rest of you complaining about every Ben problem after he fails on a game winning drive. Had he completed that last drive, you'd be wearing a similar glove on your penis for better performance.

Crash
02-09-2011, 10:25 PM
No as$ kissing at all. I just don't blame Ben for everything. Nor do I give free passes to the rest of the league's "elite" like others do.