PDA

View Full Version : DIFFICULT DECISIONS IN FREE AGENCY COMING?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-08-2011, 12:51 PM
The painful offseason now begins. Besides dealing with the loss, we have many FA issues to address. Most can't be done on that front until a new CBA can be reached. On top of that, UDFA can't be signed after the draft with no CBA in place. Let's take a look at the roster issues and comment.

Free Agents:

Dixon - Did he do enough to get a new contract? Really didn't show anything in passing game. Difficult to say what they will do here. Batch wants to remain and Dixon might get some interest in FA. If he wants to take 3rd string money...Fine. If not, bring in a project because Dixon is still one in the passing game.

Moore - I think his time here has come & gone. Still a quality player but his contract commands too much. Thanks for your services.

Spaeth - Really didn't do enough to live up to his pick. I think he might be retained simply for depth at the right price. I think he could be upgraded.

Legursky - I believe he showed enough value this year to get another contract.

Essex - He has value as a "swing man" across the whole line. I don't believe he will get any interest in FA. Might be able to retain him cheap. Don't break the bank but wouldn't be upset if he stays another year or two with a contract that would be easy to unload. Status of Starks & Colon makes retaining him a possibility. If no CBA is reached before the draft, draft outcome could make the decision.

Colon - I know "what he was" might be different than "what he will be". He is a good friend to BB. However, I think he will want to be paid as the "what he was" and the Steelers won't risk the contract coming of the achilles. Partly the reason I think Essex might be in the equation.

Hills - I think they close the book on Hills.

J Scott - Showed to be nice back-up. I think it comes down to Essex's ability to play all 5 spots and they will make room for new faces. The uncertainty of C Scott makes it a difficult call between Essex & J Scott. I think J Scott & Essex could be upgraded but there will be some sense of urgency to keep some familiar faces around through camp & preseason. Any signing that could be easily unloaded is favorable to the Steelers because I think there will be at least two rookies added in the draft and C Scott might as well be called a rookie. They will need to balance experience and youth. If he takes a contract similiar to last year...Bring him back...Just in case.

Eason - I think he played his last game as a Steeler.

Hoke - Valuable back-up...But will be 35. He will have to take a big paycut in his new contract to stay. His "monies" is needed elsewhere. McClendon is no Hoke but he will have to hold down the back-up role. Will be missed.

Fox - I think alot hinges on what Farrior decides. Great ST player but I believe a rookie will be added in the middle. Hate to see him go but I think he gets lost in the numbers game. A favorable contract for the Steelers after the draft might happen unless the draft an inside LB.

Woodley - He will be retained. Via tag or new contract.

Gay - Tough one here. But I think $$$ comes into play. I believe interest will be min in FA. Gay knows the system, and because of that might be a post draft signing if they don't get a CB early. A FA starter should be brought in. I would feel real good with McFadden as the #3 behind a FA until Lewis, Butler, Rookie, or possibly Warren make a push. Competition at CB will be a huge factor going into 2011. I feel the first step will be getting a FA starter added to the mix.

Madison - Probably get vet min contract to stick around. Great ST player who could get lost in numbers game for search for quality CBs. Might come down to keeping him over Battle's big contract. If he is cut before the start of the season...Hope he won't be missed on STs.

Taylor - He will be retained & finish his career as a Steeler.

Mundy - Signed but won't be on the roster come opening day.

Suisham - Signed but won't make final cut.

Kapinos - Not offered contract.

Sepulveda - I think Steelers will gamble on him. Injury will lower his contract and make it possible.

Warren - Won't break bank on him anyway. Friendly contract that can be unloaded.

Questionable for 2011:

Batch - Wants to play another year. Show he is capable...When healthy. I think it obviously hinges on what they do with Dixon. I think the need a young #3 to groom but not sure if the Steelers are sold on Dixon. I personally think it is time to turn the page on Batch.

Sweed - Here we go again. I have always been a Sweed supporter and hopeful he succeeds. I thought Fantuz would be added but he is a Bear. So give him another camp...I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I DO believe there will be WR roster spots to be had.

Battle - Well...The FO can't always be right. Did he dress for all 19 games? (joke) ST is important and Fox & Madison are FA too. I know he mad the occasional tackle but with the emergence of Sanders & Brown...Hard to stomach a guy making $177,000 a tackle.

Randle El - I think El will be asked to take a pay cut to stick around. If by some chance Sweed arrives (cough)...There really isn't a spot for him. If Sweed doesn't make the 53 and El takes a pay cut...He could make the 53.

Retirements:

Adams - I think someone will give him the, "Give me another shot...I will get you a ring." speach and he plays in 2011. The will probably restructure and give him an extension with a signing bonus to help the cap. Will be the starter at RT with Colon's departure and give a rookie a year to learn.

Smith - I think he gives it another go looking to go out on top. Hope he has a healthy 2011.

Farrior - Had a solid 2010. I think he gives it one more run. Don't know if he should. Foote isn't anything more than a solid back-up. Sly still needs some time. More than likely, the Steelers will draft a future starter in the 3-5 range this year.

Ward - Returning for 2011.

That's my take as of right now. I need to re-do my mock when I get a chance to reflect this and some players have moved around from the College "All Star" games. Anyone have similiar or different feelings on this?

Oviedo
02-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Just my thoughts:

Should go: Dixon, Moore, Hills, Fox, Madison, Battle and Aaron Smith. Last one is hard, but no evidence he has the body left and we can't aford the cap hit for a 8 game player.

Should get a look but may not stick: Randle El, Sweed, Spaeth, Batch, Mundy, Warren, Suisham, Kapinos, Sepulveda. The last three kickers should have to compete for a position

Should try hard to keep but not break the bank: Jon Scott & Essex (both valuable back ups at OT which is thin), Adams (played better than Colon), Colon, Gay, Legursky, Farrior (cap hit). Hoke

Must keep: Taylor and Woodley

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Just my thoughts:

Should go: Dixon, Moore, Hills, Fox, Madison, Battle and Aaron Smith. Last one is hard, but no evidence he has the body left and we can't aford the cap hit for a 8 game player.

Should get a look but may not stick: Randle El, Sweed, Spaeth, Batch, Mundy, Warren, Suisham, Kapinos, Sepulveda. The last three kickers should have to compete for a position

Should try hard to keep but not break the bank: Jon Scott & Essex (both valuable back ups at OT which is thin), Adams (played better than Colon), Colon, Gay, Legursky, Farrior (cap hit). Hoke

Must keep: Taylor and Woodley

I think Farrior's contract was designed to pay him & be friendly when he retired. I don't think there was any intention of him playing it out. It would be great to hold on to Hoke. He will have to take a big pay cut, like I stated, to stick around. They Steelers don't have the luxury of paying a back-up/rotation guy 3-4 mil because of new contracts due. I felt J Scott played better LT than Essex ever did down the stretch. He can play G in an emergency role but Essex plays every spot. I have no problem with every OL going through the whole process (except Hills) in 2011 along with some draft choices coming in. They all showed development through the season. When it comes time for the 53...Weed out what you need to to get the best 8 or 9. You just get that feeling that Smith wants another run. Perhaps he will restructure to help the Steelers out. I agree...Durability is a BIG concern for his contract number.

Crash
02-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Flozell has stated he has no plans of retiring and wants to play in Pittsburgh.

The Sodfather
02-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Scott & Essex could be upgraded but there will be some sense of urgency to keep some familiar faces around through camp & preseason.

Unless they price themselves out of here those two aren't going anywhere. Both cost relative peanuts and aren't bad for backups. Essex can play all 5 positions and Scott played better as the season went on. Throw Legursky and Foster in the mix and we have some decent depth.

Ike and Wood are the priorities.

Oviedo
02-08-2011, 02:03 PM
[quote=" ":r25rtl8k]Scott & Essex could be upgraded but there will be some sense of urgency to keep some familiar faces around through camp & preseason.

Unless they price themselves out of here those two aren't going anywhere. Both cost relative peanuts and aren't bad for backups. Essex can play all 5 positions and Scott played better as the season went on. Throw Legursky and Foster in the mix and we have some decent depth.

Ike and Wood are the priorities.[/quote:r25rtl8k]

Agree 100%!!!!!!!!

Depth on the OL is actually very good. Need one or two more front line starter capable guys to come in at Guard. I trust Kugler to make great things happen. Hopefully he can make Kemo disappear :stirpot

hawaiiansteel
02-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Source: Steelers, Ike Taylor haven’t had contract talks

Posted by Mike Florio on February 8, 2011, 4:31 PM EST

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/iketaylorstretching.jpg?w=250

Despite a report that the Steelers have started contract talks with cornerback Ike Taylor, a source with knowledge of the situation says that no discussions have occurred.

The suspicion is that the Steelers planted the seed with Scott Brown of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review in the hopes of scaring off possible suitors for Taylor, who’ll become an unrestricted free agent on March 4, if free agency actually starts on March 4.

Every February, tampering with looming free agents occurs throughout the league, with the process reaching a fever pitch during the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Though it remains to be seen whether similar efforts occur this year in light of the labor situation, the Steelers apparently are trying to apply an ounce of prevention.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... act-talks/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/08/source-steelers-ike-taylor-havent-had-contract-talks/)