PDA

View Full Version : This will really cheer a lot of you up - Arians out of here?

JAR
02-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Is Arians on his way out?

It's possible the fervent wish of many Steelers fans is closer to realization than they believe. Bruce Arians job as Steelers offensive coordinator could be in jeopardy

The two writers who cover the Steelers for the Post-Gazette and who know a lot about what’s going on with the team have suggested as much.

After discussing the unlikely possibility of defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau leaving, Gerry Dulac wrote today:

``But, the situation with Arians, the offensive coordinator since '07, is a bit more tenuous.

``Despite running an offense that became more balanced with the production of Rashard Mendenhall and saw the quick development of young receivers Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown, it is possible Arians won't be with the team next season -- a move that will dramatically affect quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

``Roethlisberger has been given almost total command of the offense under Arians and has developed a close personal relationship with him and his family.''

Little more than two weeks ago, hours before the AFC title game on Jan. 23, Ed Bouchette wrote:

``--- If they lose, this could be Bruce Arians’ last as the Steelers offensive coordinator.’’

It’s entirely possible coach Mike Tomlin is unhappy with Arians. It might be he’s satisfied with Arians' work but believes he can hire someone whom he feels can do a better job.

At any rate, stay tuned. Where there’s smoke, there could be fire.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazet ... is-way-out (http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/27390-is-arians-on-his-way-out)

Crash
02-08-2011, 12:54 PM
``Roethlisberger has been given almost total command of the offense under Arians and has developed a close personal relationship with him and his family.''

I would say based on the formations we use and the lack of no huddle this season that opinion is not accurate in regards to control of the offense.

Oviedo
02-08-2011, 01:28 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

Steelgal
02-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Ben needs an OC that's not his best friend. Not saying they shouldn't have a good relationship, but the OC should be more of a teacher/mentor, than a buddy. Obviously I'm not around the Steelers facility ever, but Ben needs someone to push him a bit more and make him better in all areas. Yes, I know there's a QB coach as well.

We saw the world of difference a new oline coach made last year. Wouldn't be opposed to a new OC next year.

Oviedo
02-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Ben needs an OC that's not his best friend. Not saying they shouldn't have a good relationship, but the OC should be more of a teacher/mentor, than a buddy. Obviously I'm not around the Steelers facility ever, but Ben needs someone to push him a bit more and make him better in all areas. Yes, I know there's a QB coach as well.

We saw the world of difference a new oline coach made last year. Wouldn't be opposed to a new OC next year.

Ben needs an OC he gets along with. Call him a best friend ofr not but bring a Whisenhunt back would be a big mistake. Ben is beyond needing an OC who treats him like a school boy in the principals office.

Iron Shiek
02-08-2011, 01:39 PM
I don't believe any of what was written, sounds like a lot of conjecture. I think we heard the same thing last season and I remember being on this board seeing reports of BA actually being fired if I recall correctly. Alot of confusion reigned, and Ben supposedly made the pitch to keep BA, which we still don't know for sure if it happened. So these writers seem to try to read into statements or feelings or a guy making a funny face or an antelope farting in a southeasterly wind, and they run with it as a story, when in fact its opinion. So lets not read too much into this.

NW Steeler
02-08-2011, 01:42 PM

Ben needs an OC he gets along with. Call him a best friend ofr not but bring a Whisenhunt back would be a big mistake. Ben is beyond needing an OC who treats him like a school boy in the principals office.

Ben was only in his third year when Whiz left. If he needed to be "scolded" then so be it. That is the coaches job. I agree that it needs to be someone that Ben gets along with and
to be on the same page with, but he also has to be his COACH. Push him, challenge him, make him as good as he can be.

Eich
02-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Ben needs an OC that's not his best friend. Not saying they shouldn't have a good relationship, but the OC should be more of a teacher/mentor, than a buddy. Obviously I'm not around the Steelers facility ever, but Ben needs someone to push him a bit more and make him better in all areas.

I completely agree. Ben didn't like Whiz because he yelled too much. But there should be something between yelling too much and being buddies. I don't hate Arians but I definitely think that we can do better and that there are coordinators that can help Ben continue to improve his game.

I'm sure there are multiple reasons our offense looked so erratic in the Super Bowl but I'm also sure it didn't do Arians' job security any good.

Steelgal
02-08-2011, 01:55 PM

I didn't suggest they should bring Whiz back. I also agree that the qb and oc need to get along. But then again all coaches should get along with their players most of the time.

Steelgal
02-08-2011, 01:57 PM

Ben was only in his third year when Whiz left. If he needed to be "scolded" then so be it. That is the coaches job. I agree that it needs to be someone that Ben gets along with and
to be on the same page with, but he also has to be his COACH. Push him, challenge him, make him as good as he can be.

Thank you!! That's what I wanted to convey, but it didn't come out right.

feltdizz
02-08-2011, 01:59 PM
so now losing a SB is the nail in Arians coffin?

The only issue I had with BA in the SB was the lack of RUTFM. Mendy was killing them and I think we relied too much on the pass.

Pas the ball YOI!

Steelgal
02-08-2011, 02:00 PM
And for the record, I thought Arians playcalling got a lot better middle of the year up until the SB. Really had some creative/good game plans. Didn't see it continue to the SB. So I'm not an Arians hater, just think he's not helping Ben to do his best.

hawaiiansteel
02-08-2011, 03:28 PM
just reminiscing and dreaming of what could be... :D

Updated: December 29, 2003

Coordinator Bruce Arians fired

Associated Press

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland coach Butch Davis fired three of his offensive assistants on Monday, including coordinator Bruce Arians.

Arians, running backs coach Todd McNair and quarterbacks coach Carl Smith were let go by Davis, who hired all three in 2001 when he got the Browns' job.

The dismissals are the first moves in what is expected to be a busy offseason for Cleveland, which dropped to 5-11 after going to the playoffs last season.

Following Sunday's 22-14 win in the season finale at Cincinnati, Davis shouldered some blame for the Browns' dismal year, saying he had "let this team down a little bit."

On Monday, he spread some of that blame around, but insisted the firings were not a rash response to a bad season.

"This is not a knee-jerk reaction," Davis said. "This is a three-year broad spectrum look at the whole thing offensively, the growth and the development."

Davis, who has two years left on his contract and may get an extension this winter, is 21-27 in his three seasons.

This is the second straight year that he has fired one of his coordinators immediately after the season. Following the Browns' loss in the AFC playoffs at Pittsburgh in January, defensive coordinator Foge Fazio was fired and replaced by Dave Campo.

The dismissal of the 51-year-old Arians has been expected for weeks.

Cleveland's offense was supposed to be the team's strongest unit this season. However, injuries across the offensive line and inconsistency from quarterbacks Tim Couch and Kelly Holcomb led to the offense dropping in several key statistical categories.

The Browns fell from No. 23 to No. 26 in total yardage, went from No. 18 to No. 25 in passing and scored just 15.9 points per game after averaging 21.9 in 2002.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1696154

Crash
02-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Yay the Browns fired Arians and they then passed on Ben.

So much for that.

Two decisons, two teams.

And look at the impact on BOTH.

grotonsteel
02-08-2011, 03:51 PM
I am not sure why people are so high on Whiz.....He could not develop a QB in one of the worst division in NFL..

I would say Bruce Arians is a better OC than Whiz.

hawaiiansteel
02-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Yay the Browns fired Arians and they then passed on Ben.

the Browns passed on Ben to draft Kellen Winslow, Jr...one of many reason the Clowns are such a successful franchise.

http://www.mancavesports.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/browns-suck.jpg

feltdizz
02-08-2011, 03:55 PM
I am not sure why people are so high on Whiz.....He could not develop a QB in one of the worst division in NFL..

:Agree

People always love the guy who left... if Whiz was still here we would be calling him an idiot.

grotonsteel
02-08-2011, 03:59 PM

:Agree

People always love the guy who left... if Whiz was still here we would be calling him an idiot.

To be frank i thought BA did call a good game...its that players did not execute it..I would definitely not put blame on BA for the SB loss.

ScoreKeeper
02-08-2011, 04:02 PM
As long as BA continues to put Spath on the field I will his a ss gone.

To continue to try to pound a square peg into a round hole shows the lack of knowledge he has when it comes to the talent he has to work with.

SteelCrazy
02-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Heard the same crap last year. I'll be happy when it's done.

SteelCrazy
02-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Bruce makes excuses after the loss,

Tomlin didn't make excuses or single out any player, but Arians was not afraid to speak his mind.

"We got off to a start we didn't want,'' Arians said. "A young rookie [Antonio Brown] missed a coverage on the first third down. He got fooled with it too high and he should have stopped, and the ball was thrown perfectly, but he didn't stop.''

Arians, who is in the final year of his contract, pointed to how injuries affected the game plan.

"When we lost [receiver] Emmanuel [Sanders to a foot injury], that kind of threw us back,'' he said. "He is our second top speed guy, and we had a big game plan for him. We had to scramble a little bit on the sideline. We actually lost two receivers on one play - Arnaz Battle got hurt, so our five wide receiver set was gone.''

Arians praised the offensive line for allowing just one sack and receiver Antwaan Randle El for his contributions off the bench, but he also was disappointed when Roethlisberger overthrew Mike Wallace in the third quarter on a play that would have given the Steelers the lead.

"We came out [in the second half], and I thought we started right where we wanted to,'' Arians said. "We had a chance for a touchdown pass to take the lead, but we just missed it. It was a battle from then on in.''

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/conte ... ml?nav=751 (http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/547013/Steelers--Polamalu-takes-responsibility.html?nav=751)

feltdizz
02-08-2011, 04:25 PM
That doesn't sound like excuses.. it sounds like the truth.

skyhawk
02-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Sure Ben has a good relationship with Arians, but I haven't seen a big improvement in Ben's game the past couple years. I really think he could be even better.

That said, I think he needs a better position coach. Do they still have a QB coach after letting Ken Anderson go? That could be a good thing for Ben. Even Michael Jordan had a personal coach he consulted with everyday.

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Sure Ben has a good relationship with Arians, but I haven't seen a big improvement in Ben's game the past couple years. I really think he could be even better.

That said, I think he needs a better position coach. Do they still have a QB coach after letting Ken Anderson go? That could be a good thing for Ben. Even Michael Jordan had a personal coach he consulted with everyday.

Randy Fichtner, the WR coach, moved over to QB coach when Kenny retired. We then hired Scottie Montgomery to be the new WR coach.

skyhawk
02-08-2011, 04:57 PM

Randy Fichtner, the WR coach, moved over to QB coach when Kenny retired. We then hired Scottie Montgomery to be the new WR coach.

Maybe Ben needs Jim Zorn to be his mentor instead. :lol:

ScoreKeeper
02-08-2011, 05:17 PM

He had nobody to really develpoe. Lienhart is a typical USC reach at QB. He ran a system, not a team. Whiz is a very good O mind. Look what he did with that abortion of a team Cards with a half decent QB.

Chadman
02-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Arians is this towns whipping boy & will never fully please everyone, but seriously, he's overlooking a pretty good offense that is productive despite the liberal use of rookies & poor O-Linemen.

Is he making Ben 'all that he can be'? Maybe not. But you could be any Offensive genious in that role, give him the same OL, and Ben will never be 'all that he can be' as far as a 'pure QB' goes. Considering that Arians works with a QB that spends 50% of his game running, this offense goes ok.

feltdizz
02-08-2011, 07:20 PM

He had nobody to really develpoe. Lienhart is a typical USC reach at QB. He ran a system, not a team. Whiz is a very good O mind. Look what he did with that abortion of a team Cards with a half decent QB.

what did he do with a half decent QB? AZ was terrible this year.

ScoreKeeper
02-09-2011, 07:46 AM

I was talking about when he had Warner.

chiken
02-09-2011, 08:23 AM
He spoke the truth. Losing Sanders was huge but the loss was aplified by the fact that Brown wasnt ready to assume that role full time.

El and Ward are not feared any more.

People say we should have rolled when they lost their corner backs.. what game were they watching. 2 -3 bums on Wallace, your remaining best cover guy on Ward and the lack of a playbook on Brown... Offense shut down.

Running the ball down 2 scores was not going to win us that game. Especially when we have a ton of other threads going about our Defense giving it up. The last Drive is when we needed our Recievers and that is when they all looked the most confused.

Keep Ba.. lets see what happens with a full year with Brown And Sanders. Last year because of them being Rook's and Ben missing 4 games they didnt get a full 16 games to gel..

feltdizz
02-09-2011, 09:48 AM

I was talking about when he had Warner.

Warner was more than half decent in AZ.

Oviedo
02-09-2011, 11:13 AM

We can disagree on that Whiz didn't do anything here or in AZ. Kurt Warner made him look like a hero. Hell, I'd rather have Warner as OC than Whiz.

Whiz has about two years left before he gets fired.

Oviedo
02-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Good discussion on Mad Dog Radio this morning. They brought up a very good point about why teams would not want new coaches or coordinators. With the labor uncertainty there will be no time to impolement new systems or schemes. There could be a huge disincentive to replace Arians unless you were going to Fichtner and keeping the same system.

They pinted out that during the last two labor problem years the team that won the Super Bowl those years made no changes to their coaching staffs--the Redskins. It was Gibbs and all his coordinators with the exact same system.