PDA

View Full Version : On to the future...What's next?

Oviedo
02-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Ok, the mourning period is over. Let's put on our big boy pants and move forward. The draft is coming up. What do we need to fix to be back and WIN the Super Bowl next year? My thoughts:

Draft priorities:
1-DB
2-OT
3-DL
4-S

I don't think we play in free agemcy at all other than to retain our players. Need to do the following:
1. Resign Ike. We have nothing at CB without him.
2. Resign or tag Woodley. Needs to be a sSteeler for the next 4-5 years.
3. Try and convince Colon to resign at a favorable contract coming off an injury. Since we have no idea how he will recover, convince him to play RG for a year while Adams stays for one more. IMO Adams played better RT than Colon ever did.

One more point. It won't happen but I would like to see both Arians and LeBeau move on. I think both have taken their respective units as far as they can and we need a fresh set of eyes and a new perspective. I'd convince Lebeau to step aside and retain him as a consultant. Arians just needs to move on.

ramblinjim
02-08-2011, 11:13 AM
I actually think drafting an OT is probably further down on the list. I'm throwing up just a little bit in my mouth when I say this but Scott played LT pretty well. He'll never be mistaken for Anthony Munoz or Orlando Pace in their primes but you know, he didn't get abused and mauled over there and they seemed to get a little better each game. Now that doesn't mean if for some reason a stud OT drops in the draft you don't pick him up but otherwise I just don't see it.

You and I agree that we need a serious upgrade of talent in our secondary unless I'm missing something.

steelerkeylargo
02-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Depending how things work out with Starks, Colon and Adams I think Guard will be a more pressing issue. Having said that Pouncey is the only Guard I would take in the first round. I firmly believe that we will chose the highest rated player on our board at one of 5 positions in this order of importance

1) OG (Pouncey only)
2) CB
3) NT
4) OT
5) DE

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2011, 11:43 AM
One more point. It won't happen but I would like to see both Arians and LeBeau move on. I think both have taken their respective units as far as they can and we need a fresh set of eyes and a new perspective. I'd convince Lebeau to step aside and retain him as a consultant. Arians just needs to move on.

I have no problems with our coordinators at this point. Both have shown the ability to adjust this year and they have the backing of the head coach and the players as well. That's good enough for me.

Last year, a minor coaching change at OL and ST paid big dividends. Something small like that could potentially happen again (if we can find someone better than Ray Horton to develop our DB's, for instance) but I don't foresee the major changes that you are looking for.

grotonsteel
02-08-2011, 11:50 AM
I think its time to move on.

BA needs to retire.

I would make DL a consultant and promote Keith Butler. Fire DB coach Horton.

FA
I would resign Ike and Woodley or atleast put a franchise tag on Woodley.
I would go after Jonathan Joseph in FA.

I would not resign Colon and Fox. Cut Madison.

Draft
OT/OG
DB
DT
ILB
TE
WR
FB

My DBs for next season

Ike - Joseph - BMac (Nickel) - Butler - William Gay - Lewis

Troy-High Draft Pick - Clark -Will Allen

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2011, 11:53 AM

The total cost for those 3 guys would be absurd.

We can't blow our load like that when 2011 is the last year of Polamalu and Timmons' contracts.

msp26505
02-08-2011, 12:26 PM
The idea of jettisoning coordinators of a team that made it to the SB is ridiculous. I don't like Arians, but it's just not happening.

If we get some decent CB talent in the draft and hire an upgrade to Horton, I suspect the problems you have with Lebeau will disappear.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
02-08-2011, 01:36 PM
I think alot hinges on when the new CBA will be in place. If it gets done before the draft, I would retain Ike, tag/sign Woodley log term, and get another capable starter at CB. One of those "2nd tier" free agents (Richard Marshall, Brandon Carr, or Eric Wright). Still draft a CB in the 3-5 range.

If there is no CBA in place before the draft, I think you have to target a CB in round 1-2.

I posted this in another topic. These are my targets based on grading right now at #31.

CB
*Brandon Harris
Jimmy Smith

OL
*Nate Solder
*Tyron Smith
*Gabe Carimi
Mike Pouncey
Derek Sherrod
Anthony Castonzo

NT
Phil Taylor

Guys with * more than likely will be gone. Others like Smith, Taylor, Sherrod, & Costonzo are those 1st/2nd round guys who could be moving up.

birtikidis
02-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Hey Beavis, he said "blow our load"

Steelgal
02-08-2011, 02:29 PM
As for the upcoming labor issues, can someone give me a brief synopsis.....

If free agents aren't re-signed by March 3rd, talks can no longer happen until a deal gets done? Are players allowed to talk to coaches/staff after the deadline if no agreement is in place? Or is there a link to a reader-friendly explanation of it??

Also, typically what happens the week, after the last game? What are players/coaches doing this week? Do they actually go in and watch game film? I'm sure the pending free agents are cleaning out their lockers and such, but wasn't sure what else might be happening..

Thanks

eniparadoxgma
02-08-2011, 07:12 PM
The idea of jettisoning coordinators of a team that made it to the SB is ridiculous. I don't like Arians, but it's just not happening.

If we get some decent CB talent in the draft and hire an upgrade to Horton, I suspect the problems you have with Lebeau will disappear.

:Agree

BradshawsHairdresser
02-08-2011, 07:15 PM

The total cost for those 3 guys would be absurd.

We can't blow our load like that when 2011 is the last year of Polamalu and Timmons' contracts.

I've said it before...I wouldn't be surprised if they let Woodley go. His asking price will be high, and the franchise tag will be expensive. They could have Worilds replace him, and draft a project in the middle rounds.

I think Ike gets re-signed. Forget about Joseph. I'd love to see Asomugha in our D-backfield, but I know that will never happen. Look for a CB or S to be taken somewhere in the first three rounds of the draft. Might also sign a cheaper free agent for backup/dime duty, cutting loose Lewis or McFadden, etc.

On offense, probably need to re-sign Jonathan Scott. Hopefully, Max Starks will return to playing condition. Flozell had a good year. I think that probably leaves Colon out. His contract is up, right? Essex is re-upped as a backup for not much $$$. It would still be nice if we could draft a stud G and a good LT.

steelz09
02-08-2011, 07:57 PM
OL
CB
DL

I still want to take Mike Pouncey in Round 1. I would hope that Mike Pouncey would win the RG spot and we would have open competition at LG. Kemo may be the most overrated player on this team. He is o.k. a pulling and straight ahead blocking. That's pretty much it.

We really need a nose tackle in this draft and it's becoming urgent quickly. Big Snack has seen better days and next year is the last year of his contract. Do you really want a rookie starting a NT in our 3-4? Yikes.

birtikidis
02-08-2011, 08:38 PM
OL
CB
DL

I still want to take Mike Pouncey in Round 1. I would hope that Mike Pouncey would win the RG spot and we would have open competition at LG. Kemo may be the most overrated player on this team. He is o.k. a pulling and straight ahead blocking. That's pretty much it.

We really need a nose tackle in this draft and it's becoming urgent quickly. Big Snack has seen better days and next year is the last year of his contract. Do you really want a rookie starting a NT in our 3-4? Yikes.
I actually think you could swap kemo to the Right side where he wouldn't have to play in space so much. let pouncey II move to LG where his athleticism would allow him to cover the space created by the LT blocking outside speed rushers.

SteelStallion
02-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Do you think Mike Pouncy will be there at 31? Or will he be one of the many that we salivate over, then his stock rises after the combine and is gone high?

Shawn
02-08-2011, 11:09 PM
1)DB- this is a no brainer. If a terrific talent is there we have to jump even if Pouncey is on the board.
2) OG-By all accounts, Colon and Starks should be back next season. OT would be a luxury that I would consider if a top talent falls. But, we are lost at OG. We don't have a single good one on the team.

And let me go on record now...if we draft another OLB in the first round or second round I will pull all the hair out of my head.

Steelgal
02-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Do you think Mike Pouncy will be there at 31? Or will he be one of the many that we salivate over, then his stock rises after the combine and is gone high?

I saw a couple of mocks a few weeks ago by Kiper and McShay and Pouncey was gone before 31. I'm thinking one had him out in the high teens. Can't remember the other one.

hawaiiansteel
02-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Steelers have a few areas of need

Posted Feb. 10, 2011 @ 11:56 a.m. ET
By Mike Wilkening

We already have begun to start hearing the talk of a Packers dynasty, and why not? The Packers are so young, so talented. Their quarterback, Aaron Rodgers, is all of 27 years old.

Were the Steelers, the Packers' vanquished opponent in Super Bowl XLV, to have captured their third NFL title in six seasons, perhaps we could have spoken of them as a dynasty. Alas, they are left to pick up the pieces after a successful season with an unsatisfying ending.

The Steelers' last two trips to the Super Bowl were followed by playoff misses in 2006 and '09. As they begin an offseason no doubt dedicated to avoiding such an outcome for a third consecutive time, here's a look at where the Steelers stand:

Offense

In what has become a passing league, the Steelers are in good shape on this side of the ball. They are set at the NFL's most important position; Ben Roethlisberger, who turns 29 in March, surely ranks among the 10 best passers in the game. WR Mike Wallace, 24, racked up 1,257 receiving yards and 10 touchdowns in his second NFL season and emerged as Roethlisberger's top target. Roethlisberger isn't lacking for other capable pass catchers, either.

Despite his costly fumble in the Super Bowl, RB Rashard Mendenhall has a bright future.

The offensive line has a star in C Maurkice Pouncey, who meshes well with Roethlisberger, but it would not be a surprise if the Steelers added a starter-caliber tackle or guard in the offseason.

Defense

One of the NFL's stingier defenses was surprisingly permissive in the Super Bowl, but there are still far more positives than negatives with Dick LeBeau's stop unit. Although age is a concern along the defensive line, with three key contributors DEs Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith and NT Casey Hampton all in their 30s, the group is stout vs. the run, and second-year DE Ziggy Hood played well in Smith's absence this season. Nonetheless, more youth is needed up front.

The Steelers are loaded at linebacker. Re-signing LOLB LaMarr Woodley, an outstanding pass rusher and run defender, is a must.

The secondary needs to be bolstered, even with The Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year SS Troy Polamalu the standard-bearer at his position. Re-signing RCB Ike Taylor would be prudent, as would improving the depth at cornerback. The Steelers have had issues stopping potent passing attacks that spread the field.

Special teams

PK Shaun Suisham made 14-of-15 regular-season field-goal attempts after replacing Jeff Reed but hit only 3-of-5 in the playoffs. P Daniel Sepulveda is coming off the third right ACL tear of his career. Antonio Brown is an intriguing return prospect.

Early forecast

The Steelers are in good position to contend again in 2011. The Ravens loom as their toughest competition in the AFC North, with the Bengals and Browns coming off difficult seasons and facing challenges ahead. Their most pressing need, as Super Bowl XLV showed, is crafting solutions to their problems matching up with strong passing games.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/0 ... as-of-need (http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/02/10/steelers-have-a-few-areas-of-need)