PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Chadman
02-08-2011, 02:26 AM
On a different tack for a second-

Why, when you have what is a reasonably inspiring National Anthem as it is, does a singer feel the need to 'reprise' it into their own hybrid warble in a vain attempt to hit as many octaves as possible? Really? Surely Christina Aguilera has heard the anthem before, right? That was awful. Made the whole anthem sound cheap & trashy & turned what should be a patriotic moment into a cringeworthy slaughter.

Here's a thought future anthem singers- listen to it sung by a choir first. listen to the inflections, the octaves hit, the rythem even.

Then, instead of changing it to try and gain some style points- REPEAT IT THE WAY YOU HEARD IT.

Never heard an Englishmen give a 'revised' version of God Save The Queen- the original has always been good enough.

Oh, and if what The Black Eyed Peas gave us is 'good', this might explain why Chadman doesn't listen to 'modern music' much. Fergie's rendition of "Sweet Child 'O Mine" actually had Chadman wishing Axel Rose would jump out of somewhere, anywhere, to take over & save it.

jj28west
02-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Anyone catch William Gay crying during all this? Is it because:

1) Christina was destroying this masterpiece?

2) Someone slipped him some of that fine Texas hot sauce?

3) He was just notified that he would have to cover the GB WRs in man coverage?

StarSpangledSteeler
02-08-2011, 07:19 AM

Why, when you have what is a reasonably inspiring National Anthem as it is, does a singer feel the need to 'reprise' it into their own hybrid warble in a vain attempt to hit as many octaves as possible? Really? Surely Christina Aguilera has heard the anthem before, right? That was awful. Made the whole anthem sound cheap & trashy & turned what should be a patriotic moment into a cringeworthy slaughter.

Here's a thought future anthem singers- listen to it sung by a choir first. listen to the inflections, the octaves hit, the rythem even.

Then, instead of changing it to try and gain some style points- REPEAT IT THE WAY YOU HEARD IT.

Never heard an Englishmen give a 'revised' version of God Save The Queen- the original has always been good enough.

Oh, and if what The Black Eyed Peas gave us is 'good', this might explain why Chadman doesn't listen to 'modern music' much. Fergie's rendition of "Sweet Child 'O Mine" actually had Chadman wishing Axel Rose would jump out of somewhere, anywhere, to take over & save it.

I believe my board name alone qualifies me to weigh in on this matter. :)

1) America is a country built on ingenuity. We are inventors by nature. We are a nation of people constantly seeking ways to make or do things better. It's sort of in our DNA. Christina represents our mutated DNA. The mad scientist in all of us who discovers through painful trial and error the well known principle that DIFFERENT and BETTER are not the same thing.

2) The Star Spangled Banner is a very difficult song to sing technically. It will expose your flaws (much like a quick passing precision offense). Many, if not most, pop/rock singers are not classically trained. It's not that they don't want to sing it correctly, it's that they CAN'T sing it correctly. So their only other option is to try to mask their lack of talent with trills and runs and modified notes (much like us using Willie Gay or Anthony Madison in a nickel package).

3) It is a widely held opinion that the greatest rendition of the Star Spangled Banner ever sung was performed by Whitney Houston at Super Bowl XXV in 1991. Other singers know this. They are competitive. They watch it as a reference. And they cannot duplicate it. Let alone surpass it. So they chicken out. They try to use "style" as an excuse (much like faking an injury) to avoid the embarrassment of losing but the result is invariably added humiliation for lack of sound judgement (no pun intended).

anger 82&95
02-08-2011, 07:50 AM

Unfortunately, he would probably just stomp around, glare at the crowd and then bail the scene.

SidSmythe
02-08-2011, 08:01 AM
I'm with you CHADMAN

unfortunately this country has gone the way of SENSATIONALISM

I'd rather here a VETERAN from WORLD WAR II sing it with his whole heart and sound like garbage, than some sleezebag chick who has no clue about the real world and sound like a top 10 artist and get paid 1 million bucks for it.

America isn't the problem CHADMAN, it's people are

msp26505
02-08-2011, 08:10 AM

1) America is a country built on ingenuity. We are inventors by nature. We are a nation of people constantly seeking ways to make or do things better. It's sort of in our DNA. Christina represents our mutated DNA. The mad scientist in all of us who discovers through painful trial and error the well known principle that DIFFERENT and BETTER are not the same thing.

2) The Star Spangled Banner is a very difficult song to sing technically. It will expose your flaws (much like a quick passing precision offense). Many, if not most, pop/rock singers are not classically trained. It's not that they don't want to sing it correctly, it's that they CAN'T sing it correctly. So their only other option is to try to mask their lack of talent with trills and runs and modified notes (much like us using Willie Gay or Anthony Madison in a nickel package).

3) It is a widely held opinion that the greatest rendition of the Star Spangled Banner ever sung was performed by Whitney Houston at Super Bowl XXV in 1991. Other singers know this. They are competitive. They watch it as a reference. And they cannot duplicate it. Let alone surpass it. So they chicken out. They try to use "style" as an excuse (much like faking an injury) to avoid the embarrassment of losing but the result is invariably added humiliation for lack of sound judgement (no pun intended).

+1

Stewie
02-08-2011, 08:25 AM

That was good, but Marvin Gay at the Lakers game was the best!!!

Iron Shiek
02-08-2011, 08:46 AM

It was a recording and she lip synced it. This is widely known. I'd rather an artist attempt to sing it live, and mess up, then have a recording. If I wanted a recording, then just play a tape or something and don't even have the singer come out.

And like Stewie said, that Marvin Gaye anthem was pretty awesome.

snarky
02-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Her rendition gave me flashbacks to B.E. Taylor in 1991. Not a good omen.

Steeler Shades
02-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Does this still apply to this forum? 8)

Notice:

This is a friendly reminder to please keep this forum to Steelers Talk only.

The "Around the NFL" forum is meant to be for NFL-related discussion that is not applicable to the Steelers.

The "NFL Draft" forum is obviously for topics relating to the draft.

The "General Discussion" area is for Non-NFL Related discussions that cannot be categorized in any of the other forums.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

John

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2011, 11:21 AM
In addition to problems with stylizing it to the nth degree, it also helps to actually know the words. It's "o'er the ramparts we watched" not "what so proudly we watched," Christina.

I realize that it is not the anthem, but my all-time favorite is the Ray Charles version of America the Beautiful.

snarky
02-08-2011, 11:48 AM
BTW, in October I visited Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine. Took my nephew. It's kind of a cool thing to do with kids. And I think even for adults if you don't now a whole lot about the war of 1812, it's a good side trip if you are ever in Baltimore. I'm not sure if inspiring is the correct word to describe what I felt there, but it's close enough -- not the fort itself but the fact that forty years after declaring independence the United States was still having to defend its right to exist.

StarSpangledSteeler
02-08-2011, 05:44 PM

That was good, but Marvin Gay at the Lakers game was the best!!!

That's fine for you. To me, Marvin Gaye's version sounds like something I'd hear at a hotel lounge bar trying to calm you down after a stressful day, not a stadium with 80,000 crazy wild fans trying to get riled up for the biggest game of the year. He never got louder than a Smokey Robinson falsetto lullabye. Whitney blasted it out of the house.

birtikidis
02-08-2011, 05:52 PM
The dude who sang the national anthem at Soldier Field before the bears packers playoff game was really good.
I didn't watch Aguilera, i can't stand her.. ever.

ScoreKeeper
02-08-2011, 05:54 PM
I hate when they add their own extra crap to it. Sing it the way it's meant to be, or don't accept the invitation to sing it.

snarky
02-08-2011, 06:09 PM
The only person I don't mind ad-libbing the Star Spangled Banner is Enrico Palazzo.

steelblood
02-08-2011, 06:19 PM
In addition to problems with stylizing it to the nth degree, it also helps to actually know the words. It's "o'er the ramparts we watched" not "what so proudly we watched," Christina.

I realize that it is not the anthem, but my all-time favorite is the Ray Charles version of America the Beautiful.
Ruthless I see you have Kendrick Ellis in your mock. I watched him in the Texas v. the Nation game (now known as the NFLPA Game). He was impressive. He chased every play, got regular penetration, and made a lot of tackles and got a sack. I think he earned himself some money. Phil Taylor is the top of this class. But, Ellis appeared to be a better NT than Jerrell Powe who also played in the game and was inconsistent.