PDA

View Full Version : Silver Lining in Loss

NorthCoast
02-07-2011, 11:18 PM
One good thing that comes out of this defeat. It could make it a whole lot easier to make changes with the coaching staff.

BA's contract is up....this is the chance to make a change if they were even contemplating it.

Secondary coach needs to go. There has been no progress in developing talent with this group. Maybe you can't make a silk purse, but damn, I would love to see somebody emerge out of all the DB picks.

Special teams were OK so I don't think a change is needed here.

Not sure about LeBeau.....the players seem to love to play for the guy. Will not new guy command the same respect. This is always a risk.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-07-2011, 11:29 PM
so you want to fire both coordinators coming off a super bowl appearance?

i love this place.

SteelCrazy
02-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Not sure why LeBeau needs to go...he's the reason we continue to be competitive every year.

I agree with the DB's coach. No one has emerged.

Bruce Arians. I hate his play calling, but Ben loves him, so IDK. Maybe Ben needs a change here.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Silver lining from this season--all the young players who stepped up and contributed, from Pouncey to Brown and Sanders to Ziggy. Way encouraging!

I would like to see LeBeau retire, because as long as he's in charge, I don't think we'll have an answer for a good offense that spreads the field. I would like to see Arians go, because as long as he's in charge, our offense won't be able to play up to its potential. Give Butler and Fichtner a chance (don't think that will happen, though).

birtikidis
02-08-2011, 12:25 AM
wow, a guy calls the defense for the #1 team in the country defensively wins a couple rings and makes it to a third and y'all want him to retire... smh

musteel
02-08-2011, 01:14 AM
Another silver lining, maybe... An extremely humbled Ben. Could be good, or very bad.

If he's humbled enough, does he stop taking the risks that make him the exciting QB he is? Does he have the mental abilities to be a pure pocket passer? Do you think this is a big enough gut check for him to change his style of play?

Could be an interesting season next year (if there is one).

fordfixer
02-08-2011, 01:31 AM
Another silver lining, maybe... An extremely humbled Ben. Could be good, or very bad.

If he's humbled enough, does he stop taking the risks that make him the exciting QB he is? Does he have the mental abilities to be a pure pocket passer? Do you think this is a big enough gut check for him to change his style of play?

Welcome to the Planet :tt1 :tt1

Ben just need's to be Ben

BradshawsHairdresser
02-08-2011, 01:40 AM
wow, a guy calls the defense for the #1 team in the country defensively wins a couple rings and makes it to a third and y'all want him to retire... smh

But he can't figure out how to beat the spread offense. I appreciate all his contributions, but it's time to move on, IMO.

You can pile up lots of statistics against the Clevelands and Carolinas of the League, but last I checked, the ultimate goal is not to have the #1 statistical defense--it's to win the Super Bowl. Maybe we should be less concerned about being the best against the run, and figure out how to stop the pass.

Crash
02-08-2011, 02:59 AM
I'd rather change Ben too. Who knows, maybe he could then equal the 10 losses Peyton Manning has in the playoffs. Or the four straight crap games Tom Brady has played in the playoffs since they got busted cheating.

Captain Lemming
02-08-2011, 03:56 AM
One good thing that comes out of this defeat. It could make it a whole lot easier to make changes with the coaching staff.

We lost THE SUPERBOWL.

By that standard ONLY THE PACKERS would keep their staff.
Who do you suppose we replace our coordinators with? Some clown WHO FAILED TO GET AS FAR AS WE DID? What kind of idiocy is that?

Dis the playcalling all you like.

We have two pick including a pick six, a fumble, missed td pass, and WE STILL had a shot with 2 minutes, IF WE EXECUTE.

If you dont change one coach call and we execute, we WIN THIS GAME EASY.

Perspective dude.

Crash
02-08-2011, 04:22 AM
My perspective is we need to quit worrying about "Stiller Football" and use the talent that you have.

I also wish they would finally wake up and eliminate the cow pasture that we play in.

SidSmythe
02-08-2011, 07:44 AM
the STEELERS exceded my expectations this year. With the Ben debacle, O-line, Secondary Depth and youth at the WR position, I give props to Arians and LeBeau

Mister Pittsburgh
02-08-2011, 08:23 AM
I am not going to claim to have any answers here......yes, we made the Superbowl and had a good season, but it seems to me with Lebeau's version of the 3-4, 90% of the time that we play one of the teams with what people are claiming are the 'elite' QB's, we have no answer defensively.

Saints:
They were 7 of 16 on 3rd down
44 pass attempts with us only getting to Brees 2 times on sacks and one of those was with McFadden so only 1 LB getting a sack
2 of 4 in the redzone
305 yds passing
They controlled the clock with nearly 8+/- more minutes of time of possession on us.

New England:
Weird game looking at the numbers cause they were killing us so we had to throw and throw some more in the second half.
New England, with their secondary comprised of 3 rookies and a 2nd year player had an interception to our none. That interception was taken to the house for 6.
With that inexperienced secondary we weren't able to take advantage and they had 5 sacks.
Even though they attempted 43 pass attempts, we didn't sack Brady a single time.
They dropped 39 points on our defense. Killed us, as usual.

These are the two games against the 'elite' QB's we had this year. Both losses. On 87 pass attempts, we had 2 sacks. That blows.

We need better DB's and it might be at the expense of our highly paid LB'ing corp. I would rather pay for a top CB to drop back in coverage, than James Harrison to drop back in coverage. We also need better play for the S position. Love Troy and all that he stands for, but dude is no spring chicken and is injured every season now. Our secondary is bad and its a passing league.

Lebeau has never had an answer for the top passing teams that spread you out. Just doesn't. You almost need to pull two of the LB off the field and replace them with DB's.

Oviedo
02-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Silver lining from this season--all the young players who stepped up and contributed, from Pouncey to Brown and Sanders to Ziggy. Way encouraging!

I would like to see LeBeau retire, because as long as he's in charge, I don't think we'll have an answer for a good offense that spreads the field. I would like to see Arians go, because as long as he's in charge, our offense won't be able to play up to its potential. Give Butler and Fichtner a chance (don't think that will happen, though).

:Agree

Oviedo
02-08-2011, 09:14 AM
I am not going to claim to have any answers here......yes, we made the Superbowl and had a good season, but it seems to me with Lebeau's version of the 3-4, 90% of the time that we play one of the teams with what people are claiming are the 'elite' QB's, we have no answer defensively.

Saints:
44 pass attempts with us only getting to Brees 2 times on sacks and one of those was with McFadden so only 1 LB getting a sack
2 of 4 in the redzone
305 yds passing
They controlled the clock with nearly 8+/- more minutes of time of possession on us.

New England:
Weird game looking at the numbers cause they were killing us so we had to throw and throw some more in the second half.
New England, with their secondary comprised of 3 rookies and a 2nd year player had an interception to our none. That interception was taken to the house for 6.
With that inexperienced secondary we weren't able to take advantage and they had 5 sacks.
Even though they attempted 43 pass attempts, we didn't sack Brady a single time.

These are the two games against the 'elite' QB's we had this year. Both losses. On 87 pass attempts, we had 2 sacks. That blows.

We need better DB's and it might be at the expense of our highly paid LB'ing corp. I would rather pay for a top CB to drop back in coverage, than James Harrison to drop back in coverage. We also need better play for the S position. Love Troy and all that he stands for, but dude is no spring chicken and is injured every season now. Our secondary is bad and its a passing league.

Lebeau has never had an answer for the top passing teams that spread you out. Just doesn't. You almost need to pull two of the LB off the field and replace them with DB's.

I've been saying the same thing for over a year now. The scheme has been figured out. Like I said in another post Dom Capers in two years has transitioned GB from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and put an elite defense on the field with lots of very young players. But we can't develop a young CB so we don't see a hurt Bmac or worse yet Anthony Madison trying to cover elite WRs.

Like I have said, what concerns me about LeBeau is he "can't call his baby ugly." He doesn't sem inclined to change anything or be innovative (now is when everyone will throw out the stats about where we ranked which are meaningless). It is a passing league now and while it is great to be #1 against the run if you are weak on the backend the team with very good to great QBs are going to exploit you.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-08-2011, 09:41 AM

Saints:
2 of 4 in the redzone
305 yds passing

New England:

I've been saying the same thing for over a year now. The scheme has been figured out. Like I said in another post Dom Capers in two years has transitioned GB from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and put an elite defense on the field with lots of very young players. But we can't develop a young CB so we don't see a hurt Bmac or worse yet Anthony Madison trying to cover elite WRs.

Like I have said, what concerns me about LeBeau is he "can't call his baby ugly." He doesn't sem inclined to change anything or be innovative (now is when everyone will throw out the stats about where we ranked which are meaningless). It is a passing league now and while it is great to be #1 against the run if you are weak on the backend the team with very good to great QBs are going to exploit you.

We have St. Louis, New England, Houston, Indy on the schedule next season. Guess we will see if the old man figures anything new out.

snarky
02-08-2011, 09:46 AM

Saints:
2 of 4 in the redzone
305 yds passing

New England:

OK, I know we got lit up a few times this year but we still managed to have the lowest points allowed per game -- and that's with some suspect guys in the defensive secondary. I just don't see the need to drive DL out of this thing is mainly not broke and the fix to what is might simply be better personal or better position coaching.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-08-2011, 09:56 AM
I am not necessarily saying drive DL out....but Tomlin needs to sack up and have more imput and control on the secondary at a minimum. Lebeau/Horton's secondary sucks. They can't develop anyone at all! AT ALL!

Oviedo
02-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I am not necessarily saying drive DL out....but Tomlin needs to sack up and have more imput and control on the secondary at a minimum. Lebeau/Horton's secondary sucks. They can't develop anyone at all! AT ALL!

Truth!!!!!!!

Shawn
02-08-2011, 01:29 PM
so you want to fire both coordinators coming off a super bowl appearance?

i love this place.

I'm just glad fans don't run the team. I wouldn't cry if Arians left mainly because I would like to see what new blood could do with the young talent. With that said, I don't think he is a bad OC. As for LeBeau, the father of the 3-4 and a guy who puts top Ds on the field year after year after year...yeah well that is just silly.

feltdizz
02-08-2011, 04:35 PM
I'd rather change Ben too. Who knows, maybe he could then equal the 10 losses Peyton Manning has in the playoffs. Or the four straight crap games Tom Brady has played in the playoffs since they got busted cheating.

What does Peyton and Brady have to do with this? :roll:

Steelerphile
02-08-2011, 04:51 PM
The defensive backfield doesn't have a lot of big-time players. Gay played the corrner position for McFadden. I don't think the scheme has much to do with it, when the QB is sharp, no scheme trumps a great throw. Rodgers made some throws that threaded between three sets of hands. I don't think the coordinator has anything to do with that. Polamalu did not make an impact.

People blame coordinators too much. The Steelers need another real talent for the defensive secondary.

feltdizz
02-08-2011, 04:56 PM

Truth!!!!!!!

the problem with Lebeaus D lately is it's geared to stop the run... which is cool for AFC football but the Pack rarely run the football.

The RB had 200+ yards more in the playoffs than in the regular season.

Until we play Brady and Rodgers and show we can actually get a TO or get our hands on a freaking pass and knock it down it's going to be more of the same.

Great D but don't expect to beat the Pats anytime soon.

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2011, 05:21 PM
The RB had 200+ yards more in the playoffs than in the regular season.

He missed his entire senior season at Buffalo due to injury, and then was placed on the PUP throughout training camp until he was activated for week 11. He only appeared in 3 games in the regular season (starting none of them). Then he played in all 4 postseason games (starting all of them).

The Packers run the ball. Ryan Grant had back-to-back 1200 yard seasons before being injured in the first game this year. They employ 3...count 'em...THREE...fullbacks...Korey Hall, Quinn Johnson, and John Kuhn (who had to play some halfback this year after the Grant injury, in a "Peyton Hillis lite" type of role). They can run a spread offense and still find a use for fullbacks...imagine that!

NW Steeler
02-08-2011, 05:43 PM

I think the loss will be good for Ben as far as humbling him. But you are kidding yourself if you think he is going to change the type of QB he is. Do I want him to work as hard as he can at getting better? Yes. But I do not want to change the type of player he is. Do that, and he will be worse off and so will the Steelers as a team.

birtikidis
02-08-2011, 05:46 PM

But he can't figure out how to beat the spread offense. I appreciate all his contributions, but it's time to move on, IMO.

You can pile up lots of statistics against the Clevelands and Carolinas of the League, but last I checked, the ultimate goal is not to have the #1 statistical defense--it's to win the Super Bowl. Maybe we should be less concerned about being the best against the run, and figure out how to stop the pass.
This is ridiculous. abolutely, and incredibly ridiculous. Most well respected defensive coordinator in the NFL and you think he can't beat the spread.
I guess we should trade Ben since he throws interceptions against those same teams (NE AFCCG Loss to NE, SuperBowl Loss, etc). but then, people like you blame it on the defense. again I SMH.

birtikidis
02-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Guys, QB's are considered elite because they can pick apart ANY defense, not just ours. seriously you make it sound like we've NEVER beaten Tom Freakin Brady. Ask Mr. Elite Peyton Manning if he wants to see Lebeau's defense in the playoffs again. or ask the Ravens who went and acquired all the skill position players they could how fun it is to play us in the playoffs. You are retarded if you think DL isn't a great coordinator!

ScoreKeeper
02-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Guys, QB's are considered elite because they can pick apart ANY defense, not just ours. seriously you make it sound like we've NEVER beaten Tom Freakin Brady. Ask Mr. Elite Peyton Manning if he wants to see Lebeau's defense in the playoffs again. or ask the Ravens who went and acquired all the skill position players they could how fun it is to play us in the playoffs. You are retarded if you think DL isn't a great coordinator!
People should be careful of what they wish for.