PDA

View Full Version : The real problem I had with Lebeau defense last night.

Steelhere10
02-07-2011, 10:11 PM
It seamed to me that the game plan was to run that same middle lb crossing blitz scheme that was so effective last year. But when it didn't work they had no other creative blitzes to come up with. He had to know that the packers would figure that out, since it worked so well the last game. And every time they ran it it left the middle wide open. I'm with Crash, its time for a change!

mshifko
02-07-2011, 10:16 PM
i hated pressuring from the outside, i thought we might have had better success pressuring rodgers up the middle...we have such good outside backers, the extra pressure up the middle may have been more effective IMO...but hindsight is always 20-20

plus, keeping troy 20 yds off the ball didn't really do much for me either..i know he gives troy the flexibilty to do that, but he really was a non factor playing that far off...

birtikidis
02-07-2011, 11:08 PM
I thought it was interesting that they stood Diesel up and put Harrison inside so much. to say we didn't do anything creative is absurd.

SidSmythe
02-08-2011, 07:48 AM
NO OFFENSE, but this is the dumbest post of the offseason so far!!
Don't worry, you have plenty more coming that'll trump this one.

WE RUN THAT BLITZ EVERY GAME!!!!!! Are we suppose to stop now???
Did we not try to bring pressure from the outside???

Did Rodgers have all day to throw???

We had 3 sacks to their 1?? Maybe the Packers should fire Capers??

Unbelievable!!

Steelhere10
02-08-2011, 08:03 AM
No offense to you sid, but its dumb for you not to notice. Even Toy Aikman made a comment on how we kept running the same blitz. And how the pack had it picked up. Maybe you should watch more steelwrs games because although we still run that blitz. We don't as much.

SidSmythe
02-08-2011, 08:06 AM
well no offense to you either!! :moon

steelblood
02-08-2011, 08:13 AM
We ran some different blitzes, but the problem was that we needed to commit 6 men to coverage in most instances to stop easy TDs.

Troy played 20 yards off the line because he had to. Our corners would have been beaten deep easily otherwise.

I thought LeBeau did some good things. We saw more press man in these playoffs than we've ever seen. That worked well against Baltimore and the Jets.

LeBeau's hands were tied with the corners we ran out there.

I am a little disappointed in LeBeau and the secondary coach (Horton) for not preparing and dressing Crezdon Butler for this game. I know he is a rookie, but from all accounts in camp, he is very capable of press man and has good instincts for it. Dude, never got a shot on defense after the preseason. They are awfully stubborn playing guys like McFadden who was terrible and injured week after week instead of getting the rook in there for some snaps and getting him prepared or the playoffs. I know he missed a special teams tackle a few months ago, but Keenan Lewis is awful on special teams and defense. At least Butler puts himself in a position to make plays on special teams. Lewis does close to nothing and looks lost.

SidSmythe
02-08-2011, 08:18 AM
We ran some different blitzes, but the problem was that we needed to commit 6 men to coverage in most instances to stop easy TDs.

Troy played 20 yards off the line because he had to. Our corners would have been beaten deep easily otherwise.

I thought LeBeau did some good things. We saw more press man in these playoffs than we've ever seen. That worked well against Baltimore and the Jets.

I am a little disappointed in LeBeau and the secondary coach (Horton) for not preparing and dressing Crezdon Butler for this game. I know he is a rookie, but from all accounts in camp, he is very capable of press man and has good instincts for it. Dude, never got a shot on defense after the preseason. They are awfully stubborn playing guys like McFadden who was terrible and injured week after week instead of getting the rook in there for some snaps and getting him prepared or the playoffs. I know he missed a special teams tackle a few months ago, but Keenan Lewis is awful on special teams and defense. At least Butler puts himself in a position to make plays on special teams. Lewis does close to nothing and looks lost.

:Agree
BUT not sure how much TOMLIN has to say about DBs since that's his position.

Oviedo
02-08-2011, 09:23 AM

For whatever reason we have problems developing DBs all the way back to Ricardo Coclough. The only common denominator is the scheme we run. Is it too complex to learn? There is some problem and that problem needs to be fixed.

Not playing young players is a real problem.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-08-2011, 07:27 PM

For whatever reason we have problems developing DBs all the way back to Ricardo Coclough. The only common denominator is the scheme we run. Is it too complex to learn? There is some problem and that problem needs to be fixed.

Especially when we have a position with such a need...CB.

Butler is not going to develop, IMO, if he never sees the field. I would have liked to have seen him getting some playing time throughout the season. Then, come Super Bowl time, he would have been seasoned and might have been able to help. He can't help sitting on the bench.

And we know that McFadden has hit his ceiling.

SteelStallion
02-08-2011, 07:38 PM

I've been complaining of this since preseason. Remenber Pouncy pre-training camp at backup guard because "he's not ready for the signal calling.."!!! Experience or not, you can't keep playing db's who don't have speed. And I think Art Jr said something about getting young players on the field faster. I agree.

papillon
02-08-2011, 11:42 PM
At some point you have to win a one on one match up and the Steelers pass rushers couldn't win their matchups. When they tried to out number the Packers (sending McFadden and Gay) Rodgers beat them by passing into the area they vacated (and Ryan Clark was slow to close down the hot read).

Woodley should have had a better night in my opinion. Bryan (or Brian) Bulaga has been struggling a bit with strong pass rushers, but he did a good job on Woodley, it happens.

As bad as the Steelers played they still had a chance to win the game. They're a good team, they'll make some changes, but nothing major, draft some football players for the future and go about their business of winning the AFCN next year.

Relax guys and gals, they lost a game where the opponent played almost perfectly and the Steelers were something less than perfect.

Pappy