PDA

View Full Version : A thought on our OL & the draft.

steelerkeylargo
02-07-2011, 01:40 PM
If we pass on Mike Pouncey and go CB in the first. I think Legursky showed last night he is capable of playing C on big boy level. Maurkice goes to LG and Kemo to RG. Tackles are Starks, Colon & Flozell. Then you could take a guy like Danny Watkins or John Moffitt in the second round. I still like the idea of the 2 Pounceys palying together but this should be at least a scenario that they should consider.

Oviedo
02-07-2011, 01:51 PM
If we pass on Mike Pouncey and go CB in the first. I think Legursky showed last night he is capable of playing C on big boy level. Maurkice goes to LG and Kemo to RG. Tackles are Starks, Colon & Flozell. Then you could take a guy like Danny Watkins or John Moffitt in the second round. I still like the idea of the 2 Pounceys palying together but this should be at least a scenario that they should consider.

No way they move Pouncey. I like Marcus Cannon in Round 2. Huge road grader who according to teammates is one of the best athletes on the team.

Crash
02-07-2011, 01:54 PM
I don't want a CB in round one who won't start because the defense is too "hard". We need immediate help at OL, and DL. I want someone who can contribute NOW.

papillon
02-07-2011, 01:56 PM

At this point and based only by the obvious indiscretions of Kemo, I'd prefer they cut him. Even Tomlin was heard saying to him in the Jets AFCCG game, "you're killing us" He's on shaky ground IMO.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
02-07-2011, 02:49 PM

and what CB do you think provides good value at 1(31)?

Brandon Harris, Jimmy Smith or Aaron Williams?

ANPSTEEL
02-07-2011, 02:55 PM
I like the idea- which would allow for "the 5 best players" mentality- but I agree with Ovi, I cant imagine they'd actually move Pouncey.

And Pap- completely with you on Kemo. His lack of discipline and general brainfarts cause more problems than he is worth... almost. He drives me nuts.

Crash- In respect to the 1st round corner sitting to learn- sadly you are likely correct. I mentioned on another board- that I found it disturbing that Capers had two rookies contributing in their secondary, and Capers is running effectively the same scheme.

Personally, I think the team needs to pick up a quality CB in FA (Joseph or Bailey) and also take an early round CB in the draft. I think they'll go OL & DL in the draft- plus pick up some veteran depth in FA, as well.

steelblood
02-07-2011, 03:03 PM

Certainly Legursky is a better C than G. He has a center body and skill set. However, I can't see moving Pouncey from center because he is so successful there and has so much football intelligence to make the line calls and his skills and acumen will only improve with time. He may even get stronger.

Watkins, Cannon, and Moffitt are all interesting 2nd round talents. One of them should be there when we select. Cannon is not quite the road grader that you may think, despite his great size. He is very athletic for 350 pounds, but he is not nearly as nasty as Moffit or Watkins who are smaller but scrappier and more fiery. All could play either guard position and Cannon (and perhaps Watkins) may also be able to play RT.

CB and maybe FS and an interior pass rusher should be the main priorities for the draft.

Snatch98
02-07-2011, 03:43 PM
I would still like to see O-line in round 1 and I liked what I saw out of Crezdon Butler when he did see the field this year. As others have mentioned our defense is hard to absorb and he could be the corner we need. If we picked towards the middle of the round I could see the team drafting corner but at 31 I'd say it's pretty unlikely. Here is to hoping Pouncey falls that far or we do something to move up and grab him or someone else of need. I thought our o-line played pretty well last night and for spurts during the season, especially when you consider the injuries. Give Ben a top tier guard and the offense evolves and Mendenhall has some lanes. I would love to grab Watkins in round 2 but I could see him going before our pick.

steelerkeylargo
02-07-2011, 03:46 PM

and what CB do you think provides good value at 1(31)?

Brandon Harris, Jimmy Smith or Aaron Williams?

I think Harris & Smith are both worthy of that selection. Williams is close.

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2011, 05:30 PM
I found it disturbing that Capers had two rookies contributing in their secondary, and Capers is running effectively the same scheme.

Sam Shields was an impressive rookie UDFA this season, but who is the other rookie contributing in their secondary? I recall that they drafted Morgan Burnett, but he's been on I.R. since week 4.

Oviedo
02-07-2011, 06:00 PM
I found it disturbing that Capers had two rookies contributing in their secondary, and Capers is running effectively the same scheme.

Sam Shields was an impressive rookie UDFA this season, but who is the other rookie contributing in their secondary? I recall that they drafted Morgan Burnett, but he's been on I.R. since week 4.

What's more impressive is that wasn't Shields a WR in college who they converted to DB in one year. They didn't appear to have to send him to two years of night school to get his Masters Degree to allow him to play. I don't think there was another rookie starting either.

IMO Capers is the best Defensive Coordinator in the NFL.

Chadman
02-07-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't want a CB in round one who won't start because the defense is too "hard". We need immediate help at OL, and DL. I want someone who can contribute NOW.

The last 1st round CB the Steelers drafted started his first year.

Chadman
02-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Just a bit of info regarding drafting a DB around the #31 pick-

Patrick Robinson, Kyle Wilson, Kenny Phillips, Kelly Jennings, Marlin Jackson, Sammy Davis & Nnamdi Asomugha were selected within a couple of picks of #31 in the last 10 years. It didn't seem to turn out so bad, did it?

Mister Pittsburgh
02-07-2011, 07:39 PM

At this point and based only by the obvious indiscretions of Kemo, I'd prefer they cut him. Even Tomlin was heard saying to him in the Jets AFCCG game, "you're killing us" He's on shaky ground IMO.

Pappy

Kemo sucks. He gets penalized at a minimum once a game. Total moron.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-07-2011, 07:43 PM

What's more impressive is that wasn't Shields a WR in college who they converted to DB in one year. They didn't appear to have to send him to two years of night school to get his Masters Degree to allow him to play. I don't think there was another rookie starting either.

IMO Capers is the best Defensive Coordinator in the NFL.

The Patriots entire secondary was comprised of 3 rookies and one second year player. We have done a pretty poor job of evaluating/ developing secondary personel. Wonder if Horton has a lot of imput into who we take or what but they miss on DB's. It was the Steelers M.O. for a long time to have youngsters groomed to replace aging veterans on the downside of their career. Last year and this year however we have had to re-sign the old guys cause there wasn't anyone ready to move into the lineup.

Dee Dub
02-07-2011, 08:45 PM
I am sticking to my guns. I would rather have the best Free Safety than the 3rd or 4th best corner. I'll take Rahim Moore. He can cover and that is exactly what the Steelers need so Troy can go back to playing what is best for this team.

Oh and I agree about moving Legursky. But to another team. After what he did in the AFCC and the Super Bowl I think his trade value is at it's peak. He isnt going to start at center and playing guard is not an option for him.

NJ-STEELER
02-07-2011, 09:05 PM
just get someone that can run under a 4.5 and knows how to turn around and look at the ball when the ball is coming.

that would be an improvement right there

NorthCoast
02-07-2011, 10:08 PM

Pappy

Kemo had an atrocious season. If anything, he has gotten worse since Kugs took over. His play is very inconsistent and his late hits and complete brain farts during some pass blocking make him expendable in my opinion. We've other guards who might develop more consistency.

mshifko
02-07-2011, 10:19 PM
pouncey is a PRO BOWL CENTER...he'd be a good guard, but center is the focal point of that oline...keep him there

our oline will be fine...we get starks and colon back, hopefully we keep flozell. i'm not a big fan of moving guys around, but colon i think could be a decent RG...

the draft will more than likely be geared toward CB, we have to keep ike though...ike with an up and comer DB would be huge for our D...then you address the dline depth or safety...

steelerkeylargo
02-07-2011, 10:35 PM
I am sticking to my guns. I would rather have the best Free Safety than the 3rd or 4th best corner. I'll take Rahim Moore. He can cover and that is exactly what the Steelers need so Troy can go back to playing what is best for this team.

Oh and I agree about moving Legursky. But to another team. After what he did in the AFCC and the Super Bowl I think his trade value is at it's peak. He isnt going to start at center and playing guard is not an option for him.

Its all relative...really? Would you rather have the best TE over the 4th best WR.....Rahim Mooore is not a first round draft pick.

grotonsteel
02-08-2011, 12:45 AM

Its all relative...really? Would you rather have the best TE over the 4th best WR.....Rahim Mooore is not a first round draft pick.

What happened to DeAndre McDaniels from Clemson...I know he is a headcase but what about him in 2nd Rd ?

Crash
02-08-2011, 03:00 AM

Dick LeBeau wasn't there. Jim Haslett was.

Captain Lemming
02-08-2011, 04:07 AM

bad word LeBeau wasn't there. Jim Haslett was.

Nevertheless, we have not drafted a top quality corner coming out of college worthy of starting since then.

Ike was raw, our other guys ARE IN THEIR PRIME and we want to replace them, who should have started as rookies?

A solid 1st round pick will be far more starter ready than ANYBODY we have drafted in a decade.

Crash
02-08-2011, 04:20 AM
I'm saying a CB will not start in LeBeau's defense as a rookie #1 pick.

The Sodfather
02-08-2011, 09:15 AM

Probably not but at some point you need to draft one. Especially one that can cover man to man.bump and run because that's what we tried to do the 2nd half of the season but B-Mac and Gay just aren't very capable.

Oviedo
02-08-2011, 09:26 AM

I agree and therein lies the problem.

ramblinjim
02-08-2011, 11:15 AM

Was that Chad Scott?

NW Steeler
02-08-2011, 11:53 AM
A rookie CB has about a good a chance to start in LeBeau's D as Colon does moving to Guard. Aint' happenin'.

grotonsteel
02-08-2011, 11:54 AM
A rookie CB has about a good a chance to start in LeBeau's D as Colon does moving to Guard. Aint' happenin'.

:Agree

That is why Steelers need to sign a CB in FA.

Jonathan Joseph
Richard Marshall

steelblood
02-08-2011, 12:24 PM
A rookie corner has a chance to start or at least see significant snaps. Playing corner in our defense is not as complicated as the other positions.

NW Steeler
02-08-2011, 01:14 PM
A rookie corner has a chance to start or at least see significant snaps. Playing corner in our defense is not as complicated as the other positions.

And I'm not saying that if said player won't start Day 1 that we shouldn't draft a corner in round #1. We need an infusion of REAL talent at that position. Someone that comes in day one and challenges the incumbents on a physical/smarts level. They will learn the D.