PDA

View Full Version : Two Pivotal Moments in the Game...

AngryAsian
02-07-2011, 12:58 PM
1) When Ben didn't throw connect with Wallace in the endzone, that could of put us up 24-21. If we would of made that TD, the momentum would of choked the life out of Green Bay, even though it was still in the 3rd quarter. I honestly feel that the defense were making stops and not coming away with points on that series really hurt us.

2) Mendy's untimely fumble. Nobody can bust on our RB, because Joe Buck and Troy Aikman noted that Mendy had X amount of touches since his last fumble and though the number escapes me, it was large. Unfortunately it killed our momentum again, and though we still had a chance with 2 minutes left, we started playing desperation football.

snarky
02-07-2011, 01:00 PM
How about Mundy's stupid block in the back. I think that was the silent killer.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-07-2011, 01:01 PM
1) When Ben didn't throw connect with Wallace in the endzone, that could of put us up 24-21. If we would of made that TD, the momentum would of choked the life out of Green Bay, even though it was still in the 3rd quarter. I honestly feel that the defense were making stops and not coming away with points on that series really hurt us.

2) Mendy's untimely fumble. Nobody can bust on our RB, because Joe Buck and Troy Aikman noted that Mendy had X amount of touches since his last fumble and though the number escapes me, it was large. Unfortunately it killed our momentum again, and though we still had a chance with 2 minutes left, we started playing desperation football.

Mendy fumbled because we have a TE playing FB. Johnson totally whiffed on blocking matthews and matthews cause the fumble by having an open shot on mendy.

flippy
02-07-2011, 01:05 PM
They did mention that Dom told his team to go for the ball versus Mendy because of the way he carries it. It looked like an unfortunate hit.

Too bad Johnson just stood there and didn't realize the ball was loose.

RussBII
02-07-2011, 01:07 PM
I thought kicking that 52 yarder was INSANELY stupid. It flipped Field Position... but i guess it didn't matter that much in the long run...

Still ticked me off though..

Mister Pittsburgh
02-07-2011, 01:09 PM
I thought kicking that 52 yarder was INSANELY stupid. It flipped Field Position... but i guess it didn't matter that much in the long run...

I thought that was dumb as well. I looked at my wife and said you choose to give your midseason pickup kicker a 52 yard FG or you give your QB a chance to convert 3-13.....I take Ben attempting 3rd & 13 over a 52 yard FG attempt.

SteelBucks
02-07-2011, 01:09 PM

:Agree

I absolutely agree. These are the two moments I keep going back to. It would have been nice to see how the Steelers would have played with the lead.

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2011, 01:14 PM

I thought that was dumb as well. I looked at my wife and said you choose to give your midseason pickup kicker a 52 yard FG or you give your QB a chance to convert 3-13.....I take Ben attempting 3rd & 13 over a 52 yard FG attempt.

I was surprised they tried it there as well. We were in field goal range on 1st down, but a screen pass to Heath lost 3 yards, followed by a sack of Ben, and I lamented that we just got knocked out of FG range. Was surprised to see Suisham still trot out after losing yards on both 2nd and 3rd downs.

Crash
02-07-2011, 01:20 PM
We wasted Heath in this game. He should have been used more down the field instead of the safety valve role he has when he blocks.

Ghost
02-07-2011, 01:27 PM

Absolute back breaker. Next play Kemo is bull rushed into Ben and a pick 6.

papillon
02-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Those plays certainly contributed, but there were so many bone headed plays it's hard to believe that was the Steelers playing. They lost their composure over and over and were unable to overcome those lapses in judgment.

The special teams blocking in the back nullified over 40 yards worth of returns, a disgrace.
Kemo's idiotic run directly into the back of defensive lineman was beyond idiotic.
Mundy's and Key Fox's criminally stupid blocks in the back were ridiculous.
Hard to believe Ben over threw Wallace on the corner route when he was wide open.

It goes on and on...and yet, with 2 minutes left in the game, the Steelers had the ball with a chance to win, unbelievable.

Yoi and double yoi, sorry Myron #7 will have to wait.

Pappy

snarky
02-07-2011, 01:34 PM

Absolute back breaker. Next play Kemo is bull rushed into Ben and a pick 6.

Basically it 'changed the script' of the entire game. Without that play I think the Steelers are not chasing the game the rest of the way.

Iron Shiek
02-07-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm just glad pretty much everyone on this board (and hopefully all Steelers fans) seems to be in agreement that the Steelers let this game slip away by making stupid mistakes and failing in execution.

We come off a lot classier than those a-holes in Seattle and the like trying to find ways to blame outside components (i.e. the refs). We get jobbed alot, but we get calls too. I think yesterday was fairly clean, which is nice for a change.

As for backbreaking plays, gotta be the mis-fire by Ben on that deep pass to Wallace. That takes the cake man. Gives us the lead, whole new ball game.

AngryAsian
02-07-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm just glad pretty much everyone on this board (and hopefully all Steelers fans) seems to be in agreement that the Steelers let this game slip away by making stupid mistakes and failing in execution.

We come off a lot classier than those a-holes in Seattle and the like trying to find ways to blame outside components (i.e. the refs). We get jobbed alot, but we get calls too. I think yesterday was fairly clean, which is nice for a change.

As for backbreaking plays, gotta be the mis-fire by Ben on that deep pass to Wallace. That takes the cake man. Gives us the lead, whole new ball game.

Generally most Steeler fans have an above average football acumen, so making excuses for losses is something I can't see really happening. Most of the local brothers I have down here in Florida I've spoken with reverberated the same sentiments that are being scripted here on these threads. We made too many mistakes and it bit us in the butt. Its like our experiences in past Championships games didn't even factor in. Huge props to McCarthy for prepping his team and props to Rodgers who knew how to exploit the biggest weakness of this team.

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2011, 01:45 PM

There were some missed calls both ways (the non-facemask 15 yard penalty for them and calling a garbage holding call on Heath a few plays after Timmons was absolutely tackled by one of their linemen who wasn't flagged) but overall I was happy that the officiating did not play a huge role in the game either way.

chiken
02-07-2011, 01:52 PM
I think them recovering the botched punt in the begining of the game was a bit of an Omen. You need a little luck when both teams are considered evenly matched. That set the "just inches away" tone for them right off the bat.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-07-2011, 01:55 PM

Ben still needs to work on his deep ball. I know someone will post all kinds of "stats" to say that Ben is a great deep passer, but my eyes tell me something different.

Crash
02-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Ben still needs to work on his deep ball. I know someone will post all kinds of "stats" to say that Ben is a great deep passer, but my eyes tell me something different.

What did the eyes tell you when he hit Brown on 3rd and 19?

MOST of Ben's deep balls that are missed are just like the first pick: Hit or hurried while throwing.

When he can step into one in the pocket? It's usually on the money. That's what my eyes tell ME! :)

papillon
02-07-2011, 02:07 PM

MOST of Ben's deep balls that are missed are just like the first pick: Hit or hurried while throwing.

When he can step into one in the pocket? It's usually on the money. That's what my eyes tell ME! :)

Wallace averaged 21 yards per catch this past season, you don't get that average by throwing poor deep balls. Of course, he missed on some throws and, obviously, he'd love a do over on the one to Wallace last night that would have swung the momentum to the Steelers. Ben's deep ball is fine.

Pappy

NW Steeler
02-07-2011, 06:13 PM

Yep. And those same a-holes are rejoicing today for the fact that we lost. How pathetic is that?

skyhawk
02-07-2011, 06:59 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":1xj1l9uk]I'm just glad pretty much everyone on this board (and hopefully all Steelers fans) seems to be in agreement that the Steelers let this game slip away by making stupid mistakes and failing in execution.

Yep. And those same a-holes are rejoicing today for the fact that we lost. How pathetic is that?[/quote:1xj1l9uk]

Like I have said loudly here in Seattle, that the victory last night was the greatest win in Seahawks history! Now, that's pathetic. But it's true.

Chadman
02-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Asian is on the money- it was the MOMENTUM stoppers that killed us. If we maintain the momentum, the Steelers kill the game & the spirit of the Packers.

But they didn't.

The Packers did instead.

As for not making excuses- we shouldn't. They won, fair & square, and should have won by more if the WR's had come to play. Steelers got lucky on a number of occasions.

NorthCoast
02-07-2011, 10:42 PM

thought the exact same thing. the better odds were in Ben's hands (normally.....although last nite was painfully obvious he was not normal).

NJ-STEELER
02-07-2011, 10:56 PM

Wallace averaged 21 yards per catch this past season, you don't get that average by throwing poor deep balls. Of course, he missed on some throws and, obviously, he'd love a do over on the one to Wallace last night that would have swung the momentum to the Steelers. Ben's deep ball is fine.

Pappy

yeah

he actually overthrew wallace and their argument used to be his arm wasn't good enough to throw it that far

Eich
02-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Yes, Ben's deep ball is fine. But he - in general - was not fine during this Super Bowl. He was very erratic, which I didn't expect at this point of his career. This should have been the game where he shined, particularly since his line kept him pretty clean most of the game.

I'm still sticking with my impression that he played most of the game with a mild concussion after his head bounced off that concrete field.