PDA

View Full Version : To me, this game came down to 1 thing

Silicor
02-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Sure Ben had some bad moments, Mendy fumbled, defense was up and down, but to me our wide receivers lost us the game. It all came down to the last drive and we couldn't move the ball against a good defense.

Don't get me wrong, I like our young guys and our vets are good guys but... On that last drive we needed some separation and Ben to have some targets. I think Sanders being knocked out was the game changer. Ben didn't have his safety blanket (like Santonio against the Cards) to make the drive happen. I'm hoping Sanders and Brown continue to get better and that we add some faster depth. I think Hines can still have a role, but ARE should hang them up.

It will be interesting to see how the team evolves this offseason. Hopefully we can have another great draft. Go Steelers!!!

Crash
02-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Naaaa.....it came down to not making a play after two turnovers.

It also came down to garbage formations in the first quarter. If someone can logically explain to me what Spaeth and Johnson add to this team I'd love to hear it.

We lost Sanders, and El made more plays last night than Spaeth has made all season. But for some reason, on 1st and 10, we continue to trot him out there.

flippy
02-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Losing Sanders was huge. And that clogged the middle of the field.

El played respectable. And I loved the play call on the 2 pt conversion. But El, Ward, Miller aren't the best at getting separation quickly. That hamstrung us a bit.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-07-2011, 12:57 PM
i think overall it is tough to put your finger on one thing that lost us this game, there are like 50 things that equally contributed. but you can't expect to win games against good teams by turning it over 3 times. TE Johnson totally whiffed on Mathews on the mendenhall fumble. He makes that block we might continue to run the ball down their throats and take the game over.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
02-07-2011, 01:21 PM

It also came down to garbage formations in the first quarter. If someone can logically explain to me what Spaeth and Johnson add to this team I'd love to hear it.

We lost Sanders, and El made more plays last night than Spaeth has made all season. But for some reason, on 1st and 10, we continue to trot him out there.

Play calling was an absolute joke, BA picked the worst time to revert to Sh*thead mode. We should have been pounding the gdamm rock out of the trips set all night, they couldn't stop it! I agree about spaeth he is worthless at least Johnson can pancake someone from time to time.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-07-2011, 01:25 PM

Play calling was an absolute joke, BA picked the worst time to revert to Sh*thead mode. We should have been pounding the gdamm rock out of the trips set all night, they couldn't stop it! I agree about spaeth he is worthless at least Johnson can pancake someone from time to time.

although johnson was the lead blocker on the play that mendenhall fumbled and he totally didn't lay a finger on matthews.

Ghost
02-07-2011, 01:32 PM
The thing that surprised me the most - the Steelers had around 25 guys with Super Bowl experience to the Packers 2 and seemed overwhelmed by the game much more than the Packers did.

papillon
02-07-2011, 01:40 PM
The thing that surprised me the most - the Steelers had around 25 guys with Super Bowl experience to the Packers 2 and seemed overwhelmed by the game much more than the Packers did.

There it is, right there folks. The absolutely mind numbingly stupid blocking on special teams and, of course, we can't go a game without Kemo pulling out his stupid card and just running directly into the back of a defensive lineman or linebacker were killers.

How many yards and field position did the Steelers give away last night because of penalties in the kicking game? 30? 40? 50? Probably close to 50 is my guess.

It's absurd that the Steelers looked like they've never been there before.

Pappy

Captain Lemming
02-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Sure Ben had some bad moments, Mendy fumbled, defense was up and down, but to me our wide receivers lost us the game. It all came down to the last drive and we couldn't move the ball against a good defense.

Don't get me wrong, I like our young guys and our vets are good guys but... On that last drive we needed some separation and Ben to have some targets. I think Sanders being knocked out was the game changer. Ben didn't have his safety blanket (like Santonio against the Cards) to make the drive happen. I'm hoping Sanders and Brown continue to get better and that we add some faster depth. I think Hines can still have a role, but ARE should hang them up.

It will be interesting to see how the team evolves this offseason. Hopefully we can have another great draft. Go Steelers!!!

Come on now people.
Turnovers lost this game.

Dont talk to me about receivers not getting separation on the last drive.
It should have NEVER came down to a final drive.

The lengths we go to insulate Ben are ridiculous.

To take a line from Denny Green:

The receivers are what the thought the receivers were.

The difference in the game came down to which QB was better yesterday.

All week the debate was on who was the better QB.

We defended our guy endlessly.

We called people haters who were so sure the "hot" Rogers would outperform Ben.

The so called haters were right.

I love having Ben as our QB.

But in THIS GAME, Ben was not at his best, while Rogers played to his potential.

QB was the difference period.

That doesnt make one a hater, or mean you dont think Ben is an elite QB.

Ben is a great QB who underperformed in this game. Roger WAS the better QB YESTERDAY.

The run game without Pouncey FAR exceeded my expectations. The fumble was a costly contributer to the loss though.

Nevertheless had Ben been at the top of his game we win EASY. We need to admit it.

Actually, that is NOT bad news when you think about our future.

aggiebones
02-07-2011, 03:24 PM
They lose Woodson and Driver. We certainly can't complain about losing Sanders.

Fact is we had 3 turnovers to their zero. That's the ballgame in a nutshell. Separation or not.
We got the ball on their 40 and have full momentum with Rodgers getting shaky. Mendy fumbles and they take momentum back.
We managed to rally again, but came up short.
Good effort.
Yes, we need Brown and Sanders to develop alot this offseason. I ahve no problem with El being WR5. You don't need another young guy there. Ward and El can tutor Wallace, Sanders and Brown. Its a solid group.

steelblood
02-07-2011, 03:30 PM

I thought Johnson threw some nice blocks. This season was his best. He is a late round 3rd TE/FB. He is what he is. Spaeth is total crap. HE does nothing well and gets 3rd round money for it. If they resign him, I'll barf.

Captain Lemming
02-07-2011, 03:59 PM

I thought Johnson threw some nice blocks. This season was his best. He is a late round 3rd TE/FB. He is what he is. Spaeth is total crap. HE does nothing well and gets 3rd round money for it. If they resign him, I'll barf.

Agree with both of you on Spaeth.
Steelblood is right about Johnson. He is a versatile, cheap, third team TE who is a very nice FB when needed saving a roster spot.

I said before that since we INSIST on using so many 2 TE sets we really should get a better number 2 guy.

Silicor
02-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Obviously turnovers kill, but to me, we had 2 minutes to win the game and we didin't. Ben was forcing passes on that last drive because receivers weren't open. That is my point, and I'm sticking with it :HeadBanger

feltdizz
02-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Obviously turnovers kill, but to me, we had 2 minutes to win the game and we didin't. Ben was forcing passes on that last drive because receivers weren't open. That is my point, and I'm sticking with it :HeadBanger

Ben was too focused on Wallace IMO.

Miller was open... Hines usually finds a way to get open... Ben had time he just had an off day. It happens.

williar
02-07-2011, 05:08 PM

Come on now people.
Turnovers lost this game.

Dont talk to me about receivers not getting separation on the last drive.
It should have NEVER came down to a final drive.

The lengths we go to insulate Ben are ridiculous.

To take a line from Denny Green:

The receivers are what the thought the receivers were.

The difference in the game came down to which QB was better yesterday.

All week the debate was on who was the better QB.

We defended our guy endlessly.

We called people haters who were so sure the "hot" Rogers would outperform Ben.

The so called haters were right.

I love having Ben as our QB.

But in THIS GAME, Ben was not at his best, while Rogers played to his potential.

QB was the difference period.

That doesnt make one a hater, or mean you dont think Ben is an elite QB.

Ben is a great QB who underperformed in this game. Roger WAS the better QB YESTERDAY.

The run game without Pouncey FAR exceeded my expectations. The fumble was a costly contributer to the loss though.

Nevertheless had Ben been at the top of his game we win EASY. We need to admit it.

Actually, that is NOT bad news when you think about our future.

Roger That! It is really just that simple. Aaron Rogers performed as an elite QB, Ben was below the line...

Discipline of Steel
02-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Id say turnovers. After they got 1 and 2 i started thinking 'Its OK, we still have ours coming.' Never happened for us and I was surprised. Even one turnover from our D and we prolly win the game. That still doesnt let the O off the hook for committing 3.

NorthCoast
02-07-2011, 11:10 PM

Ben was too focused on Wallace IMO.

Miller was open... Hines usually finds a way to get open... Ben had time he just had an off day. It happens.

Agreed. And the media talked about this today. Ben just did not see the open man on those plays which is really baffling because Miller is typically money for those downs and distances. Ben was not thinking clearly last nite, maybe one too many hits took their toll in the end.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-08-2011, 11:50 AM

Only Steelers fans are spoiled enough to expect a TD when the team gets the ball at their own 13 with 2:00 left and one timeout.

No other fanbase expects it. They hope for it but don't expect it.