PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace

flippy
02-07-2011, 11:41 AM
How good are his hands?

I'm not holding him 100% accountable on the last play because the DB did a great job of legally hip checking him and that was a hard catch.

But throughout the year, I've noticed on many long balls he catches the ball against his body and misses a lot with his hands.

His plusses are far greater than this little nitpick. But I couldn't help thinking about his hands again. Maybe Ben should have been throwing somewhere else.

Not to mention he was the most confused looking player on the last drive. Anyone hear what went wrong with communication on the final series?

grotonsteel
02-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Mike Wallace could have made some plays for his QB. I hope with more NFL experience he will take that leap.

There were few throws which were thrown high by Ben but were not impossible to catch especially when they are going in between his both hands or hitting his hands.

AngryAsian
02-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Wallace is a good receiver but still needs some more seasoning before his skillsets become an all-around threat. I think there were some balls he could of made, but his QB didn't help him out any.

spyboots
02-07-2011, 01:43 PM
When Sanders went out, maybe some game plans were changed, some routes changed? Can't run the same way on fake turf?

steelblood
02-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Mike Wallace has amazing speed and good quickness. He has average hands and has a poor upper body to fight for 50-50 balls. He is a great talent, but he does have some parts of his game that could be improved and some that may never be top-flight.

NorthCoast
02-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Wallace is no Hines Ward when attacking the ball. Wallace is just not a very strong WR. On those quick screens to him, it seemed he was easily brought down by the first guy that hit him. Fortunately, you can strength train but there is probably a limit before it would begin affecting his speed.

NJ-STEELER
02-07-2011, 10:44 PM
looked at it again and the 2nd INT seemed to hit mike hands/chest first before the defender took it away or it was deflected to him

edit - saw another angle that looked like the ball didnt get to wallace first

chiken
02-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Wallace doesn't appear to be use to having to Fight for Balls.. I can recall a couple of times he catches long passes and had his arms pulled away from the ball. And on that quick hitter he should have at least attempted to muscle that one..

He really needs to take this off Season and work on his Hand and Arm strength. Try to build his upper body a touch.. Right now he is really just a straight line burner. He has the toughness and he seems fearless, just doesn't have the strength to out physical people.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Wallace is still a kid that just completed his second season. He came to us in the third round from a second tier college. The issues we are discussing can be learned and this kid supposedly has a good work ethic. He will notice his deficiencies and become a more rounded player for it.

Sometimes we see a young kid shine and forget how inexperienced he really is. I think that this is the case with Wallace.

StarSpangledSteeler
02-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Wallace doesn't appear to be use to having to Fight for Balls.. I can recall a couple of times he catches long passes and had his arms pulled away from the ball. And on that quick hitter he should have at least attempted to muscle that one..

He really needs to take this off Season and work on his Hand and Arm strength. Try to build his upper body a touch.. Right now he is really just a straight line burner. He has the toughness and he seems fearless, just doesn't have the strength to out physical people.

I agree he needs to improve his skills in fighting for the ball. BUT he does not drop hardly any wide open passes, which Cedrick Wilson and Nate Washington used to do all the time. This is especially impressive considering how fast he's usually running.

feltdizz
02-08-2011, 03:59 PM
we saw a young kid look young... but I'm not blaming Wallace for this game. Ben was off, way off. He looked like he was a rookie and all his passes were sailing high.

steelcurtain44
02-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Are you guys serious? What we saw was Ben have another terrible postseason game. Wallace was open on every single pass thrown to him, but the interception. And that was because he was tripled team. That was Ben's fault. There is no way in hell, that he should have thrown that ball there. Trying to blame Wallace for Ben's bonehead throw is stupid.

Like I said, Wallace beat his man multiple times on the deep patterns, but Ben did'nt get him the ball out in front. He underthrew him every time, but the TD. It's crazy who all the fans want's to excuse Ben, and blame everyone and everything from Wallace, to the astroturf for Ben's inability to complete those passes. His line gave him so much time, on some downs, that Ben could have read the whole field twice. Ben was way off on his passes Sunday. There is no one to blame but Ben.

ScoreKeeper
02-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Are you guys serious? What we saw was Ben have another terrible postseason game. Wallace was open on every single pass thrown to him, but the interception. And that was because he was tripled team. That was Ben's fault. There is no way in hell, that he should have thrown that ball there. Trying to blame Wallace for Ben's bonehead throw is stupid.

Like I said, Wallace beat his man multiple times on the deep patterns, but Ben did'nt get him the ball out in front. He underthrew him every time, but the TD. It's crazy who all the fans want's to excuse Ben, and blame everyone and everything from Wallace, to the astroturf for Ben's inability to complete those passes. His line gave him so much time, on some downs, that Ben could have read the whole field twice. Ben was way off on his passes Sunday. There is no one to blame but Ben.
Um, as pointed out many times, Wallace failed to make the correct reads on a few patterns. He is young and that happens. But for you to come off soo strong, such as you have here, makes one wonder if you watch the game with a night gown on, or if you understand the game.

But don't be shy. We like to have the "other" population represented here, too.

grotonsteel
02-08-2011, 04:42 PM

Um, as pointed out many times, Wallace failed to make the correct reads on a few patterns. He is young and that happens. But for you to come off soo strong, such as you have here, makes one wonder if you watch the game with a night gown on, or if you understand the game.

:Agree

feltdizz
02-08-2011, 04:52 PM

and this is why 44 is spot on....

way too many of you guys are looking for anything or anyone to blame except the guy we all know played HORRIBLE.

obviously he is hitting the nail on the head because you had to go to the bag of insults. :lol:

next time wait a few post. 8)

ScoreKeeper
02-08-2011, 05:21 PM
It was not an insult, it's the truth. If you consider the truth an insult, then go get educated so you're no longer insulted. 8)

steelblood
02-08-2011, 05:32 PM

way too many of you guys are looking for anything or anyone to blame except the guy we all know played HORRIBLE.

obviously he is hitting the nail on the head because you had to go to the bag of insults. :lol:

I thought Ben made several bad throws. I also thought he made several very good ones (including both TDs). The first interception was not Ben's fault. The second was on him.

Someone said Wallace was wide open all game. Um no. Tramon Williams and Shields did a nice job on him. Wallace was open on the deep ball. All Ben needed to do was put enough air under it for Wallace to run under. It didn't happen.

Ben was a part of the loss. So was the defense. I won't blame Mendenhall as I feel David Johnson and Legursky hung him out to dry on that play. It was a team loss.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-08-2011, 07:30 PM

I thought Ben made several bad throws. I also thought he made several very good ones (including both TDs). The first interception was not Ben's fault. The second was on him.

Someone said Wallace was wide open all game. Um no. Tramon Williams and Shields did a nice job on him. Wallace was open on the deep ball. All Ben needed to do was put enough air under it for Wallace to run under. It didn't happen.

Ben was a part of the loss. So was the defense. I won't blame Mendenhall as I feel David Johnson and Legursky hung him out to dry on that play. It was a team loss.

On that second interception, Ben should not have thrown into coverage like that. Most of the blame for that INT has to go to him. BUT...it looked like Wallace gave the ball up far too easily. You can't just let the opponent take it out of your hands like that. I think Wallace needs to get with a serious strength training program.

Crash
02-08-2011, 09:16 PM
BUT...it looked like Wallace gave the ball up far too easily.

He was grabbed by the guy covering him and the second guy jumped the route. They make the correct call on the PI and we retain possession.

The Packers grabbed all night and got away with it. Watch what they did to Hines on his TD as he went to make his cut outside.

Nothing there either.

bostonsteeler
02-09-2011, 01:54 AM

He was grabbed by the guy covering him and the second guy jumped the route. They make the correct call on the PI and we retain possession.

I kept wondering why nobody mentioned this at all during the game. It was pretty blatant PI.

Perhaps it was because he was within 10 yards of scrimmage?

NJ-STEELER
02-09-2011, 02:02 AM

I kept wondering why nobody mentioned this at all during the game. It was pretty blatant PI.

Perhaps it was because he was within 10 yards of scrimmage?

that shouldnt matter

once the ball is in the air any contact by the defender should be a PI

Crash
02-09-2011, 02:03 AM
Does not matter. You can't grab a guy or contact him before the ball arrives. At all.

I just re-watched the game and did my edit for the first half and it was brutal. All they do is grab. Grabbed Sanders, grabbed Ward, grabbed Miller, grabbed Wallace, but not one friggin' call.

Some team, before they play the Packers, will use this first half as a"film session" to the media, and "work" the officials before they play them.

Guaranteed.

Next time someone tells you we get all the calls? Tell them to watch this half.

chiken
02-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Man, how does a Thread entitled Mike Wallace become a Thread about Ben.

No one is saying Ben didnt have a bad game, he did but he didnt get much help from his playmakers.. Thats another thread, this is about our 2nd year Reciever and what he can do to get better. His only real knock is strength and youth. He has above average hands, he rarely drops the easy ones.. But the ball can be pulled away from him. we have seen it for 2 years now. on the flip side, the kid up in Carolina - you rarely see the ball get pulled from his arms - they appear to have similiar styles.

as for the P.I. non calls.. Its the Nfl, there will be Many games that the refs are going to swallow the whistle (especially against us) It happens to EVERY stud reciever on just about Every play but the great ones still find ways.. I really believe in M. Wallace - I think he is going to be awesome.. but he needs to add some muscle to his game.

The Sodfather
02-09-2011, 08:11 AM
He's not our second receiver.

chiken
02-09-2011, 08:32 AM
He's not our second receiver.

I said Second "year" Reciever

The Sodfather
02-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Caffeine hasn't kicked in yet.

:mrgreen:

aggiebones
02-09-2011, 09:00 AM
He needs to learn to come back and fight for balls and get to the ball at its highest point. He's still learning. He wasn't a polished early first rounder. He has flaws. Most players do.