PDA

View Full Version : Redundant Thoughts 2010 - Super Bowl

redundantman
02-07-2011, 09:18 AM
1. What the hell was that?

2. I mean that "2 minute offense" at the end of the game. And yeah, I am stretching far to call it an “offense”.

3. This should silence all the "Ben is now elite" chatter.

4. What the hell was that Part II?

5. The Black-eyed Peas?! BWAAHHAHAHHA Oh man that was awful! My good friend chikinpotpi quipped: i think after the halftime show they fired all their sound guys. Then hired some more and fired those just so they could fire the correct amount of people to make the gods of sounds less angry.

6. Ben has played in 3 Super Bowls. Ben has looked awful in two of them. I am not criticizing him so much as recognizing how much Ben means to this team. He is the franchise QB. The Steelers have demonstrated they are capable of winning without him for limited stretches of the regular season. But they can’t win without him in the Super Bowl.

7. The Packers brought their B game and the Steelers were accommodating enough to bring their C game. Yeah, they almost won anyway but that is no consolation this morning.

8. I am happy for Packer Nation. I am happy for Aaron Rodgers. And I am especially looking forward to the inevitable Rodgers love-in that will result from this Super Bowl. It will be … well, Brady might get jealous.

9. Losing sucks. Losing like the Steelers lost this game is especially hard.

10. There weren't any potential heroes and there weren't any true goats. Game ball goes to Legursky.

11. I was listening to some sports announcer this morning and he was trying to make the point that this game was the Steelers recompense for Super Bowl XL ... You know, "how does it feel to have the calls go against you in the big game?" It is surprising how some people are carrying that game around with them like that.

12. I thought the refs did a reasonably good job and stayed out of the way for most of the game. There was that phantom face-mask call against the Packers and the Steelers had a ticky-tack call against them to return the favor so it was a wash.

13. So come on now, shouldn’t we moan and whine and blame somebody? But who to blame?

14. Suisham? Nah. He missed a 52 yarder that nobody thought he would make anyway. AS a side note the Steelers need to get a real kicker for next year but you can’t blame the kicker for this one.

15. Mendenhall? Tempting but no. He didn’t fumble because he was doing a poor job protecting the ball. He fumbled because Matthews’ hit was just right.

16. Defense? Again, tempting but how can you blame the defense for this loss? They kept the Steelers in the game against (by all reports) is the second coming of Jesus in Aaron Rodgers. The defense did not cost the Steelers this game.

17. Oline? Heck no. I was impressed with the Oline. They are the only group that exceeded my expectations.

18. Ben then? Its Ben’s fault? Well, yes and no right? It would be foolish to blame Ben for doing what he has tended to do all year with typically impressive results.

19. So we are left with a team that played poorly enough to lose.

20. To my way of thinking there was one thing that could have turned the tables for the Steelers: a mistake. The Steelers have been living off other people’s mistakes all year. They were good enough to make teams screw something up and then they could capitalize on it. The problem was the Packers failed to make a mistake.

21. The thing that troubled me about this game was the Steelers inability to ever take a lead. But I was hanging my hat on Ben. I figured if they could keep it a one-score game …

22. When the Packers kicked the field goal and went up 6 points the clock read right over two minutes. My brother-in-law told me that if he had been offered 2 minutes and one score to win the game he would have taken it. We were all confident that Ben would add to his legend. Our confidence crumbled to the ground slowly not unlike the seconds on the clock.

23. So what else can you say? Credit to the Green Bay Packers – the 6th seed that could.

24. At 5:05 PM CST we poured shots from my dad’s bottle of Jameson. We toasted to his memory. I had never had Jameson before and I was impressed. That is some good stuff. Even my wife knocked hers back. I hung his Terrible Towel over the fireplace and sat down to watch …

25. Then promptly stood up and paced around … then sat back down … then made fun of Christina Aguilera (whom my brother astutely pointed out had way too many clothes on) … then paced around some more … I can well imagine this scene played itself out in living rooms across the U.S..

26. Awesome year. Thank you Steelers.

snarky
02-07-2011, 09:27 AM
If I could add one thought, Tomlin needs to get better at using his time-outs. I have no idea why he didn't call a time out after GBs second down play, but he should have. Not that the drive went anywhere, but if it had, calling the time-out when Green Bay had the ball probably would have given us about 40 more seconds to work with.

This isn't the first time he's used his time-outs inappropriately

Oviedo
02-07-2011, 09:30 AM
16. Defense? Again, tempting but how can you blame the defense for this loss? They kept the Steelers in the game against (by all reports) is the second coming of Jesus in Aaron Rodgers. The defense did not cost the Steelers this game.

I hope that the powers that be don't fall into this trap. Yes the offense had three turnovers and that was a direct reason why we lost, but we can't continue to hide behind defensive stats and ignore weaknesses in the defense.

Our weakest unit on that team is the secondary. Again, another good QB sliced and diced them. Thank God for wide open receivers dropping passes or it would have been embrassing. We need a major infusion of talent and a different type of DB. We need players with man to man cover skills not zone cover DBs. It is a passing league and it is moving past LeBeau's scheme.

redundantman
02-07-2011, 09:34 AM
If I could add one thought, Tomlin needs to get better at using his time-outs. I have no idea why he didn't call a time out after GBs second down play, but he should have. Not that the drive went anywhere, but if it had, calling the time-out when Green Bay had the ball probably would have given us about 40 more seconds to work with.

This isn't the first time he's used his time-outs inappropriately

Good point. Game management was shoddy. That is on Tomlin.

redundantman
02-07-2011, 09:36 AM

I hope that the powers that be don't fall into this trap. Yes the offense had three turnovers and that was a direct reason why we lost, but we can't continue to hide behind defensive stats and ignore weaknesses in the defense.

Our weakest unit on that team is the secondary. Again, another good QB sliced and diced them. Thank God for wide open receivers dropping passes or it would have been embrassing. We need a major infusion of talent and a different type of DB. We need players with man to man cover skills not zone cover DBs. It is a passing league and it is moving past LeBeau's scheme.

I would argue that this is true only to a point. Consider the difference made if the Steelers had a healthy Aaron Smith. Parity being what it is you can typically have two of three good and they have to make up for the third. With the Steelers this year they had solid linebackers, mediocre secondary and mediocre D-line.

Oviedo
02-07-2011, 09:41 AM

I would argue that this is true only to a point. Consider the difference made if the Steelers had a healthy Aaron Smith. Parity being what it is you can typically have two of three good and they have to make up for the third. With the Steelers this year they had solid linebackers, mediocre secondary and mediocre D-line.

Aaron Smith is done. We may bring him back for sentimental reasons but he is a one year rent a player. He cannot cover a WR either. The D-line play was not mediocre. Hood played very well which is why we lead the league in rush defense.

When we lose it is because we can't cover WRs. That is the biggest issue we have and the one that needs the most attention.

Steeler Shades
02-07-2011, 09:42 AM
14. Suisham? Nah. He missed a 52 yarder that nobody thought he would make anyway.
Are you suggesting that Suisham decided to attempt that 52 yd FG on his own? While giving up good field position on THAT series didn't hurt us, SOMEBODY must have thought he would make the FG otherwise there are better calls to be made in those circumstances. 8)

snarky
02-07-2011, 09:52 AM
14. Suisham? Nah. He missed a 52 yarder that nobody thought he would make anyway.
Are you suggesting that Suisham decided to attempt that 52 yd FG on his own? While giving up good field position on THAT series didn't hurt us, SOMEBODY must have thought he would make the FG otherwise there are better calls to be made in those circumstances. 8)

He did have a chance. Probably about a 30% chance.

Steeler Shades
02-07-2011, 10:36 AM
14. Suisham? Nah. He missed a 52 yarder that nobody thought he would make anyway.He did have a chance. Probably about a 30% chance.
So you disagree with redundantman? If you thought he would make it then somebody in addition to the person that told him to try the kick thought he would make it. 8)

flippy
02-07-2011, 10:46 AM

He did have a chance. Probably about a 30% chance.

Blame the holder, not Sushi. The hold was pathetic. The ball was at a 45 degree angle when he kicked it. Sushi had 0 chance.

snarky
02-07-2011, 10:52 AM
14. Suisham? Nah. He missed a 52 yarder that nobody thought he would make anyway.He did have a chance. Probably about a 30% chance.
So you disagree with redundantman? If you thought he would make it then somebody in addition to the person that told him to try the kick thought he would make it. 8)

I didn't think he would or wouldn't make it. Any time you send a guy out to kick a 50+ field goal it is a bit of a gamble.At the time, I didn't think it was worth the risk. We had some pretty good momentum and I would have tried to pin them deep and get the ball back.

Ghost
02-07-2011, 02:43 PM

I think it was a combination of many things that lost this game. Poor play in all three phases of the game. But the defense was not good last night. Had a stretch in the 3rd Q where they looked great but they gave up a ton of yards. Including penalties, GB had drives that accumulated 95 yards (TD), 70 yards (TD), 73 yards (TD) and 105 yards (FG - took over 5 minutes off the clock). And that's not including 5 to 7 drops, at least 1 that would have gone for another TD. And the 31 yard gain on 3rd and 10 was a killer. The D needed to step up and stop them there. The super stars were incredibly quiet last night.

TallyStiller
02-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Then promptly stood up and paced around … then sat back down … then made fun of Christina Aguilera (whom my brother astutely pointed out had way too many clothes on) … then paced around some more … I can well imagine this scene played itself out in living rooms across the U.S..

Announcers pointed out that she's got 5 grammys... Eric Clapton has 3. Have lost ALL respect for the award.

feltdizz
02-07-2011, 05:00 PM

Aaron Smith is gone... the Aaron Smith you guys keep talking about left the building 2 years ago and only came back to visit for a few weeks this year.

The D Line is fine.. we were #1 against the run and Hood had 4 sacks in 4 straight games to finish the year.

The problem is the DB's can't cover when the O spreads them out and the QB has a quick release.

We were lucky they dropped 5 to 6 passes or this would have been ugly.

Steeler Shades
02-07-2011, 05:41 PM
We were lucky they dropped 5 to 6 passes or this would have been ugly.
Uglier. 8)

NW Steeler
02-07-2011, 06:09 PM

I didn't think he would or wouldn't make it. Any time you send a guy out to kick a 50+ field goal it is a bit of a gamble.At the time, I didn't think it was worth the risk. We had some pretty good momentum and I would have tried to pin them deep and get the ball back.

I agree. We were not having a problem moving the ball at that point. I think that kick was too high of a risk. It gave them far too short of a field.

NJ-STEELER
02-07-2011, 11:44 PM
steeler pre game radio guys were saying both kickers were nailing 50+ Fgs in warmup

NJ-STEELER
02-08-2011, 03:00 AM
BOT

was that a body double or the real Kim kardashian

her butt looks 1/10 the size of it used to be