PDA

View Full Version : Strangely, I'm not really upset....for a few reasons

snarky
02-07-2011, 09:10 AM
First, the Packers deserved the win.

Secondly because this team had no business making it this far. If, before the season started, we had been offered the scenario of being down by 6 with 1:59 to go the ball in Ben's hand and 85 yards to go for the win -- I don't think you could find a single Steelers fan who wouldn't have taken that deal.

Third because this season saw the Steelers indisputably establish themselves as the most successful franchise in SB history. We overtook the Dolphins for post-merger regular season wins, overtook the Cowboys for post-season wins, tied the Cowboy for SB appearances, claimed the record for Conference championship appearances and we hold the record for division wins.

In short, we have been damn lucky as fans and as distasteful as it is, it's hard to bitch about a close loss in the SB after the way we won 43.

This isn't the 70s. The good teams aren't as dominant and I've sort of come to the philosophy that as a fan, once you reach the conference championship game it's hard to expect or (as some seem to think they have a right to do) demand victories. While you might have one weakish team reach the conference championship, there are always at least three teams that are capable and deserving of the SB.

So as fans, I think we are lucky to follow a team that seems to frequently be able to throw its hat into the ring of the 'final four'. And we have a coach, a QB and a roster that is capable of coming back next year. We need an upgrade at CB and some other areas that should be strengthened. But all in all, this is a good team which has the ability to return to and win a SB.

And the bottom line is that you simply can't win them all.

JAR
02-07-2011, 10:04 AM
I agree Snark... I'm really not that upset either. This was no where near as devastating as when they were losing all of those AFCCGs.

I actually had a feeling this was going to be how the 'script' ended. Rodgers could have blown big time and they still would have handed the new golden "you won't catch me carousing" boy the MVP...

Steelers>NFL
02-07-2011, 10:11 AM
I agree Snark... I'm really not that upset either. This was no where near as devastating as when they were losing all of those AFCCGs.

I actually had a feeling this was going to be how the 'script' ended. Rodgers could have blown big time and they still would have handed the new golden "you won't catch me carousing" boy the MVP...

This is so true. I am not too upset. I am a little disappointed. But that is it.
The fact that is was the Green Bay Packers had something to do with it.
Because I like the Packers.
But if it were the Cowboys, different story. I'd be very very upset.
At least the Steelers beat the Ravens. I do not have to hear from Baltimoron fans for a whole year.
Thanks for a great season Pittsburgh Steelers!

Oviedo
02-07-2011, 10:15 AM
We are in a good position to make a serious run again next season. Add some talent to the secondary and we will be tough again.

flippy
02-07-2011, 10:24 AM
It was a great game and we had a chance to pull it out in the end. What more can we really ask for?

Don't get me wrong, the season was a failure. But even when we are at our worst, we can hang in a game with the best in the league.

SidSmythe
02-07-2011, 10:27 AM
I'd rather lose in the Superbowl than the Conference Championship.
There's nothing to play for next week so it makes it easier to take.

I'm most bothered by our turnovers, especially the FUMBLE!!!

AngryAsian
02-07-2011, 10:31 AM
It was a great game and we had a chance to pull it out in the end. What more can we really ask for?

Don't get me wrong, the season was a failure. But even when we are at our worst, we can hang in a game with the best in the league.

Not that I like shooting low, but I have to disagree that the season was a failure. We're talking about the nexus of professional sports here folks. Couple that with free agency... it is very unrealistic to think we will win it every year. I think this season was a huge success, when you think of so many near misses throughout the 90's. Did we come away with a trophy? Nope... but considering all the glaring weaknesses on this team due to poor personnel and extensive injuries, this team performed beyond its expectations. We are truly fortunate to be fans of this organization.

Steelgal
02-07-2011, 10:31 AM
The thing that bothers me the most is the lack of execution and stupid mistakes. I'd rather get beaten when the Steelers played their game and were out matched. Last night the Steelers looked out of sync all night. I guess I'd feel better if they lost, even when playing well. After last nights game, there's just too many 'if we did this better'........

drprwnap
02-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Not that I like shooting low, but I have to disagree that the season was a failure. We're talking about the nexus of professional sports here folks. Couple that with free agency... it is very unrealistic to think we will win it every year. I think this season was a huge success, when you think of so many near misses throughout the 90's. Did we come away with a trophy? Nope... but considering all the glaring weaknesses on this team due to poor personnel and extensive injuries, this team performed beyond its expectations. We are truly fortunate to be fans of this organization.

Well said, Asian. This season was NOT a failure. We are fortunate.

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2011, 11:05 AM
The thing that bothers me the most is the lack of execution and stupid mistakes. I'd rather get beaten when the Steelers played their game and were out matched. Last night the Steelers looked out of sync all night. I guess I'd feel better if they lost, even when playing well. After last nights game, there's just too many 'if we did this better'........

And somehow, in spite of handing them the ball 3 times, leading directly to 3 touchdowns, and not taking the ball away from them at all, we still managed to get the ball in our QB's hands with an opportunity to win the game with 2 minutes to go. You can't ask for much more than that, considering all the circumstances up to that point.

RussBII
02-07-2011, 11:06 AM
I have to agree with the general feeling on this thread:

I'm not too bummed at all. Last night before bed I came up with several silver linings:

The Favre/Ted Thompson thing is over. Ted made the right call.
We don't have to hear "Get your World Champion Steelers gear" commercials with the Black Eyed Peas playing in the background.
We almost won and we spotted the other team 21 points. I mean, for real?
We weren't even supposed to be here, not having Ben for 4 games was supposed to insurmountable.
The OLine did really well and it was patched together with duct tape and bazooka joe. Is Kugler the answer? I hope so

NC Steeler Fan
02-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Yeah, despite the fact that I fought it at every turn, I was mentally prepared for a loss
all last week. I just had a feeling in my gut that this wasn't going to be our year. In
fact, I actually started feeling that way almost as soon as the AFCCG was over and I don't
know why. :?:

And, since it was green bay it did make it a whole lost easier to stomach too. Gawd forbid
we ever lose a game like that to the cowgirls or something...

I saw a packers fan in our parking deck this morning and it didn't really hurt too bad to
roll down my window and call out to him, "Good game last night. If we "had" to lose to
anyone I'm glad it was you guys."

And, he was just a gracious about it too.

Now,...just as long as they don't become our next nemesis a la the patsies!!! :twisted:

JAR
02-07-2011, 12:51 PM
This loss keeps all humble. If we had won our 7th, we'd be cockier than Yankees fans. :)