PDA

View Full Version : For those about to hang themselves...

AngryAsian
02-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Just a thought folks. We've had problems folks and this year we resolved a lot of our previous season's woes.

1) Poor redzone attack on the ground? Solved, are improvement in efficiency this year was a considerable step up, with both Mendy and Redman coupled with some good inventive play calling by our OC (proof? our 2-point conversion last night).

2) Poor OL play? Fired coordinator, bring in a really great coach and draft a pro-bowl center. Instant upgrade because we found some really good cohesion, even when our line became patchwork as the season went on. How many teams really get all the way to the SB with both their starting tackles out for most of the season?

3) Poor depth at WR? Fixed with the emergence of two stud rookies contributing as well as being present in the return game. With names like Walter Young, Cedric Wilson, Willie Reid... we finally have some viable talent to help Ben execute.

What I'm saying is that there are a lot of areas we've improved in that were glaring problems in season's past. We will re-sign Woodley and Ike. We need to get a stud DB coach and some viable prospects and this team will be contending again next year. Step away from the ledge brothers and sisters... we are fortunate we have a great team and will be in the thick of things again next season.

SteelCrazy
02-07-2011, 09:11 AM
:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

Im just so sick

Oviedo
02-07-2011, 09:12 AM
You're right. We made major improvements on the offensive side of the ball but Arians is still the one attacked.

Our defensive scheme has been exposed and despite misleading statistics we struggle against good QBs because it is a passing league and we don't draft good man to man cover DBs. That needs to change.

I'd rather give up more yards in the rushing game to get better at stopping the pass.

AngryAsian
02-07-2011, 09:29 AM
You're right. We made major improvements on the offensive side of the ball but Arians is still the one attacked.

Our defensive scheme has been exposed and despite misleading statistics we struggle against good QBs because it is a passing league and we don't draft good man to man cover DBs. That needs to change.

I'd rather give up more yards in the rushing game to get better at stopping the pass.

This latter half of the season and especially in the post season, Arians has been calling some great games. Last night we just didn't make enough plays and turned the ball over too many times to weather the storm.

Notleadpoisoned
02-07-2011, 09:46 AM
2 things that I feel confident in saying: The Steelers will be back to the Super Bowl very soon and the league will fold before the Browns ever make an appearance in the big game.

Steeler Shades
02-07-2011, 09:47 AM
We've had problems folks and this year we resolved a lot of our previous season's woes.
Excellent points. However, despite the addition of Pouncey we need some more O-Line help and our secondary reminds me of the Pirates three years ago....almost (other than Ike) no DB talent and none in the barn.
As you said though we did improve in a couple of key areas. 8)

Mister Pittsburgh
02-07-2011, 10:52 AM
We have done a poor job of drafting/developing secondary players. Need to find a few diamonds this draft that can be cut and polished for next season.

The Patriots starting secondary this year was 3 rookies and a second year player. Get it done Colbert.

Hopefully Horton gets fired. He hasn't developed a single secondary player worth a crap.

Oviedo
02-07-2011, 11:03 AM
We have done a poor job of drafting/developing secondary players. Need to find a few diamonds this draft that can be cut and polished for next season.

The Patriots starting secondary this year was 3 rookies and a second year player. Get it done Colbert.

Hopefully Horton gets fired. He hasn't developed a single secondary player worth a crap.

Those rookies in the Patriots secondary helped them get a 14-2 record. Belichek will play rookies and LeBeau refuses to. If LeBeau's scheme is that freakin complicated that it continues to take 2-3 years to play then make him change it or change the DC.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-07-2011, 11:06 AM
where was bellicheck yesterday?

oh yeah, sitting at home.

drprwnap
02-07-2011, 11:16 AM
where was bellicheck yesterday?

oh yeah, sitting at home.

Along with the league MVP!

Mister Pittsburgh
02-07-2011, 11:17 AM
5 Crezdon Butler CB Clemson
3 96 Keenan Lewis DB Oregon State
5 168 Joe Burnett DB Central Florida
6 194 Ryan Mundy FS West Virginia
5 170 William Gay CB Louisville
3 83 Anthony Smith DB Syracuse
2 62 Bryant McFadden DB Florida State
2 38 Ricardo Colclough CB Tusculum
1 16 Troy Polamalu DB USC
4 125 Ike Taylor CB Louisiana-Lafayette

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2011, 11:18 AM

Those rookies in the Patriots secondary helped them get a 14-2 record. Belichek will play rookies and LeBeau refuses to. If LeBeau's scheme is that freakin complicated that it continues to take 2-3 years to play then make him change it or change the DC.

The thing is that it is understandable that it takes some time for guys in the front 7 to adjust to playing LeBeau's 3-4 scheme in the pros after playing 4-3 in college. It is a difficult transition for college DE's to learn to drop back in coverage as 3-4 OLB's. It is difficult for penetrating DT's in college to learn to be a 5-technique DE in a 3 man front. But we seem to be a better job than anyone developing these types of guys, even if it takes a bit longer than some fans would like.

However, with corners and safeties, the adjustment shouldn't be all that different. It doesn't make sense why DB's would struggle with such a transition. We should have never let Darren Perry go. He developed unheralded guys like Tramon Williams and Sam Shields into legit talents in this league. Horton needs to step it up big time or take the Zeirlein/Ligashesky bus out of town.

Arians, by the way, should stay at O.C. for the foreseeable future, as should Dick LeBeau. I don't want to potentially lose guys like Keith Butler or Randy Fichtner to other teams, but it happens sometimes. If I had to guess, though, I think Butler turns down Zona this season like he turned down Miami last season because of the commitment that "cheapskate" Rooney made to him by offering him more money in an extension last season than a position coach would typically make.

grotonsteel
02-07-2011, 11:36 AM
I hope Steelers upgrade the OG position especially Kemo.

Also it will be better if they draft a good DB. Another IKE type corner will be a good addition in the offseason. Is Ras-I-Dowling another Ike in the making???

aggiebones
02-07-2011, 11:58 AM
"I'd rather give up more yards in the rushing game to get better at stopping the pass."
-that's ignorant.

As for our DBs, Taylor, Troy and Clark are all very good players. No team has 4 studs in the back. If they do, they are weak up front.

ALL teams have weaknesses...
We can a sniff away from winning a 3rd Super Bowl in 6 years despite playing a very weak game.

We gave them 3 turnovers. What is the W/L record of teams losing the turnover battle by 2? I bet its pretty significant.

So as for last nights game, we can correct next season by not having 3 turnovers in the Super Bowl. Otherwise we win again and the pot bangers have to hide again.

Yes, we have flaws, but less than most. GB was solid, but also have weaknesses. Why did they have such great numbers against us? They threw 95% of the time cause they couldn't run. That's risky. Lots of batted balls fell harmlessly to the ground. That gameplan doesn't normally work. Had Mendy not fumbled, I think we score and win the game. Not exactly blaming Mendy, but it was a big turning point in the game. GB was on their heals and Rodgers was choking a bit. That play was just a disaster. GB had perfect call against it and it blew up. Sheet happens. but it was the turning point of the game. We had finally just gotten momentum.

AngryAsian
02-07-2011, 12:28 PM
We've had problems folks and this year we resolved a lot of our previous season's woes.
Excellent points. However, despite the addition of Pouncey we need some more O-Line help and our secondary reminds me of the Pirates three years ago....almost (other than Ike) no DB talent and none in the barn.

One... glad to see you posting again. Two, completely agree with you. The OL and DB positions should be priority in the draft and as one poster aptly put it in another thread, what Tomlin did his first year in drafting back to back LB's we need to do again in the secondary and/or OL. I think not having our starting tackles inevitably hurt us in the end.

flippy
02-07-2011, 01:02 PM

One... glad to see you posting again. Two, completely agree with you. The OL and DB positions should be priority in the draft and as one poster aptly put it in another thread, what Tomlin did his first year in drafting back to back LB's we need to do again in the secondary and/or OL. I think not having our starting tackles inevitably hurt us in the end.

I've been advocating drafting a stud TE for years to keep Spaeth/Johnson off the field. But I'm not real high on Kyle Rudolph who may be the best option.

I'd also be ok with a dominant DLineman.

But we've gotta do something in the secondary and Rahim Moore may be the only realistic option there.

Oviedo
02-07-2011, 01:28 PM
"I'd rather give up more yards in the rushing game to get better at stopping the pass."
-that's ignorant.

As for our DBs, Taylor, Troy and Clark are all very good players. No team has 4 studs in the back. If they do, they are weak up front.

We can a sniff away from winning a 3rd Super Bowl in 6 years despite playing a very weak game.

We gave them 3 turnovers. What is the W/L record of teams losing the turnover battle by 2? I bet its pretty significant.

So as for last nights game, we can correct next season by not having 3 turnovers in the Super Bowl. Otherwise we win again and the pot bangers have to hide again.

Yes, we have flaws, but less than most. GB was solid, but also have weaknesses. Why did they have such great numbers against us? They threw 95% of the time cause they couldn't run. That's risky. Lots of batted balls fell harmlessly to the ground. That gameplan doesn't normally work. Had Mendy not fumbled, I think we score and win the game. Not exactly blaming Mendy, but it was a big turning point in the game. GB was on their heals and Rodgers was choking a bit. That play was just a disaster. GB had perfect call against it and it blew up. Sheet happens. but it was the turning point of the game. We had finally just gotten momentum.

I'll try not to be "ignorant" while I type this as long as you promise not to be in denial while you read it :wink:

Just listened to Rodgers interview on The Herd. Basically two things he said (and I'm paraphrasing) stood out: "We knew going in if we could stop Woodley and Harrison we would have opportunites against their secondary" and "we knew we would have receivers running open."

It's no secret to our opponents. They know they can abandon the run because they will enjoy so much success against our weak secondary. Only Taylor and Troy are legit. Look at the rest of our DBs and tell me if any of them would have had the chance to start in the Green Bay secondary? Green bay has one and two year players, one of which is a converted WR, that are light years ahaed of Bmac, Gay, Clark, Madison and Lewis.

Yes every team has weaknesses but when you have one as glaring as our secondary you have to change something. The secondary iIS the weakest unit on this team and hopefully they can find the types of players that make it well.

SteelTorch
02-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Yeah, get rid of the DC who's fielded a top-five unit consistently, won us two Superbowls already, AND that has won us many, many regular season games. :roll:

I still haven't decided whether you really are this dumb, or if you just say these things to make yourself feel smart.

feltdizz
02-07-2011, 06:25 PM
People need to admit our secondary is toast when we play against good QB's who spread us out.

Anyone who thinks our D is OK needs to get their head examined. Sure we are good against cleveland and tennessee. We do well against cincy and Flacco but against the top QB's our D looks rather pedestrian. Where is Troy when we play the Pats or the Saints? Where is Harrison when we play Brees and Brady?

Its not even close to a dominant D when we are spread out and passed on. Something has to change or we need to play the NFC West again next SB.

SteelCrazy
02-07-2011, 06:27 PM
-that's ignorant.

I'll try not to be "ignorant" while I type this as long as you promise not to be in denial while you read it :wink:

Just listened to Rodgers interview on The Herd. Basically two things he said (and I'm paraphrasing) stood out: "We knew going in if we could stop Woodley and Harrison we would have opportunites against their secondary" and "we knew we would have receivers running open."

It's no secret to our opponents. They know they can abandon the run because they will enjoy so much success against our weak secondary. Only Taylor and Troy are legit. Look at the rest of our DBs and tell me if any of them would have had the chance to start in the Green Bay secondary? Green bay has one and two year players, one of which is a converted WR, that are light years ahaed of Bmac, Gay, Clark, Madison and Lewis.

Yes every team has weaknesses but when you have one as glaring as our secondary you have to change something. The secondary iIS the weakest unit on this team and hopefully they can find the types of players that make it well.

"If we can stop Woodley and Harrison we have a shot to beat their secondary">>>>No sh!t....that is the basis of our D...to get pressure on the QB using our LB's.