PDA

View Full Version : Coaching vs. Execution - we were the 2nd best on the field

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-07-2011, 08:36 AM
We were the 2nd best team on the field last night.

I don't know enough to tell if it was scheme or execution, and all this is based on game time impressions, I haven't had the heart to do much stat digging or reading yet:

1) Rodgers pretty much had all day to throw. There were SO many times that it seemed like we had no one within 5-10 feet of him. I don't know why ... we were so focused on playing "contain" that we didn't go for the kill (bad coaching scheme)? Or is their O-line just so good (execution)? I have no idea, all I know is that we were never going to win this game without hurrying Rodgers, and we rarely did.

2) Their defense seemed to have our receivers covered all day, at least from what I could tell from the TV angles. Ben stayed pretty clean, but I guess that's because they dropped back in coverage a lot? Either way, Ben didn't seem to have a lot of separation between receivers and defenders.

3) I think we're going to hear how much Troy was actually injured. Our backfield is pretty average at best with him just hobbling along.

GB olayed a solid game, and we didn't. They deserved to win last night, congratulations to them. Hopefully, we'll be back next year a little wiser and healthier.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-07-2011, 09:50 PM
We were the 2nd best team on the field last night.

I don't know enough to tell if it was scheme or execution, and all this is based on game time impressions, I haven't had the heart to do much stat digging or reading yet:

1) Rodgers pretty much had all day to throw. There were SO many times that it seemed like we had no one within 5-10 feet of him. I don't know why ... we were so focused on playing "contain" that we didn't go for the kill (bad coaching scheme)? Or is their O-line just so good (execution)? I have no idea, all I know is that we were never going to win this game without hurrying Rodgers, and we rarely did.
$$
The defensive key was to get pressure on Rodgers. He's an accurate passer; you give him the kind of time we gave him yesterday, he's going to kill you.

2) Their defense seemed to have our receivers covered all day, at least from what I could tell from the TV angles. Ben stayed pretty clean, but I guess that's because they dropped back in coverage a lot? Either way, Ben didn't seem to have a lot of separation between receivers and defenders.
The Sanders injury hurt. El and Ward aren't that fast anymore--we really could have used Emmanuel.

3) I think we're going to hear how much Troy was actually injured. Our backfield is pretty average at best with him just hobbling along.
According to Troy, he was healed and healthy. I just think that when the opponent spreads the field, he has to stay back in coverage most of the time, and then we can't really exploit his strengths.

GB olayed a solid game, and we didn't. They deserved to win last night, congratulations to them. Hopefully, we'll be back next year a little wiser and healthier.
Amen to that.