PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-07-2011, 08:28 AM
They did better than I was afraid they'd do ... they had a holding penalty or two, but besides that we were getting kick offs in the end zone every kick (except maybe the last one, which only came out to the 25?), and a few good run backs.

At least that coach did well.

msp26505
02-07-2011, 08:39 AM
I suspect we've seen the last of Suisham.

He barely made the 33-yarder, hooked the long one badly, and I thought he missed the extra point when it was 21-17.

He made a bunch of kicks for us this year, but to me, he never instilled confidence. It feels like he's the kind of kicker that could start the season 5-12 and cost us a couple of games before getting the axe.

I did appreciate that his kickoffs were deep last night, but I'm not sold on him at all.

Steeler Shades
02-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Hard to believe but in the biggest game of the season the STs outplayed both our offense and defense. Minus that idiot Fox of course. 8)

SteelBucks
02-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Those were two huge penalties though. Mundy's hold negated a nice return by Brown. Next play, pick six. Fox's bonehead penalty forced the Steelers to start inside the 20 instead of the 35 on their last possession. Fox should know better, you can't be baited by the other team with the SB on the line.

At least we found a great returner in Brown.

steelblood
02-07-2011, 10:23 AM
They did better than I was afraid they'd do ... they had a holding penalty or two, but besides that we were getting kick offs in the end zone every kick (except maybe the last one, which only came out to the 25?), and a few good run backs.

Missed FG and the penalty on Fox were pretty huge. I know the kick was a 52 yarder, but it was indoors and he wasn't even close. He also almost missed a PAT. Kickoffs were great. Antonio Brown just needs a little more help with blocking and he'll be a fantastic returner.

drprwnap
02-07-2011, 10:42 AM

What game were you watching???? Two key penalties on ST by Mundey and Fox KILLED field position for us. The grades in the PG today for ST was a D+. They SUCKED yesterday.

Ghost
02-07-2011, 11:35 AM
They continue to be a weak spot for the Steelers year after year. Fire a coach and still see a lot of the same issues. Worry about coverage. Lots of penaties. Giving up larger returns (although that was good last night).

They should have punted or gone for it on 4th instead of the FG attempt (its the coaches job to understand the limitations of the players) but Suisman looked horrible on that kick. They have to bring in a kicker next season. He's not the answer.

The block in the back wiped out a 45 yard return. Ridiculous block - the guy had his back to Mundy and it wasn't that close. The Fox unsportsman like penalty - CAN'T have that with the game on the line.

Have to find a way to get ST to be mentally prepared every week. Now, it's a constant worry. It's so bad that not giving up huge returns makes us think they played well even when they did not. The bar is set so low that even minimal success looks huge.