PDA

View Full Version : Three things I'm sick of hearing already...

Steel Life
02-07-2011, 02:58 AM
1. How the Lombardi Trophy is "going home"...last I checked that thing resides at our place more than anyone else's, if anything it's renting space in GB...it'll be back home soon.

2. How the Pack overcame so many injuries...we've overcome a line that's mostly back-ups, injuries to our Pro-Bowl center & safety, our best DLman, our TE, our #2 CB, WRs, etc... not to mention the injuries Ben had. Injuries are part of the game, but the Steelers line juggling was one of the least acknowledged stories of the year...it was nothing less than spectacular what Kugler did.

3. The GB players talking about how much character they have in the locker room & how the FO only brings in "quality" people. This is either blindness caused by euphoria or a dig at Ben. Last time I checked, character - like God - isn't the sole possession of any one team & I thought the Steelers showed some by not folding their tent & mailing it in. Here's hoping it gets recognized at some point.

I'll add a fouth too, even though it hasn't happened yet...how Ben isn't "elite". I don't know when it became an over-riding things to be considered "elite" (re: stat driven), I'm perfectly happy with Ben being a top 5 or 6 QB - it's brought us a lot of success so far & will bring more in the future.

Crash
02-07-2011, 03:06 AM
Again, if Ben isn't elite, than neither are Brady and Peyton.

Brady won when they cheated, and Peyton and his 70.9 post season rating when they won the SB is not as good as Ben 2005 or 2008.

skyhawk
02-07-2011, 03:50 AM
Ben isn't elite. His two picks sealed his legacy.

Crash
02-07-2011, 03:59 AM
And again, neither are Brady and Peyton.

If Ben is going to be held accountable because of a missed Kemo block on pick #1, and a non call on interference on pick #2? Then whoever decides that is fuc*ed.

Even when Woodson broke his collarbone, he fronted Wallace the same exact way Ike gets called for constantly. Nothing.

AngryAsian
02-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Last night Ben had a golden opportunity to silence his critics and he couldn't. He did not have a good game.

DukieBoy
02-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Last night Ben had a golden opportunity to silence his critics and he couldn't. He did not have a good game.
x2

Steeler Shades
02-07-2011, 09:01 AM
x2
x3

feltdizz
02-07-2011, 09:18 AM
x2
x3
x4

snarky
02-07-2011, 09:50 AM
x2
x3
x4

MaxAMillion
02-07-2011, 09:56 AM

Agreed, and I am not sure how it can be argued. Ben is a very good QB but he didn't have a good game. He admitted as much after it was over. He missed open receivers repeatedly while Rodgers was hitting WR right in their hands. Ben was missing Wallace on simple out patterns (let along the long bomb).

Ben simply didn't have a good game and he got overshadowed by the other QB...it happens.

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2011, 11:25 AM
x2
x3
x4

Subtracting 3 isn't going to do much when they just multiplied by 24.

You should be dividing instead if you want to make an impact.

:wink:

snarky
02-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Subtracting 3 isn't going to do much when they just multiplied by 24.

You should be dividing instead if you want to make an impact.

:wink:

Well I mostly agree with the original point but not a full x24.

Crash
02-07-2011, 01:13 PM

If they go down the field and score he still wouldn't have gotten credit. You'd hear about if he didn't throw 2 picks maybe they don't need that last drive to win. SB XLIII was a drive for the ages. And yet people still think they won that game with a defense that had blown a 20-7 4th quarter lead.

Fantasy football has impacted Ben's career/reputation more than any defense ever could.

Chucktownsteeler
02-07-2011, 01:14 PM
x2
x3
x4

x5

snarky
02-07-2011, 01:20 PM
x2
x3
x4

x5

You can't just skip my minus three like that. For the record we are now at

x24 -3 x5 which gives x105.

AngryAsian
02-07-2011, 01:32 PM

If they go down the field and score he still wouldn't have gotten credit. You'd hear about if he didn't throw 2 picks maybe they don't need that last drive to win. SB XLIII was a drive for the ages. And yet people still think they won that game with a defense that had blown a 20-7 4th quarter lead.

Fantasy football has impacted Ben's career/reputation more than any defense ever could.

Not taking anything away from Ben... I would take him over Manning any day (play off record proves that). But this season played out like 2005, only we lost this year. We wouldn't have gotten to the big dance without him and his heroics... but unfortunately he didn't make enough big plays to help his team get over the hump. He admittedly said he left some passes out there, some that could of lead to more points.

For the record, I could care less that Ben doesn't get the "elite" moniker he deserves or the recognition most Steeler fans deserve he should get. All I want from him is to continue to work hard on and off the field and keep winning games, especially in the post season. I honestly feel if he does this, history will take care of his legacy in professional football with all the accolades. Screw the media...

I think Aaron Rodgers is a class act and deserves the all the credit and honors bestowed upon him... but I'm already sick of all the sausage sucking ex-qb analysts that can't stop the salavating over the prospect of deifying him. Dilfer and Young should of gone underneath the broadcast podium and have Aaron give both of them the double tea-bag... at least it would of shut their pie-holes.

spyboots
02-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Ben's been playing with a hurt foot; last night he reaggravated it and his knee. Can't that affect throwing? (That stupid fake turf stuff caused injuries on both sides).

Crash
02-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Field turf in domes is much harder than field turf outdoors because of lack of moisture. That field was hard last night. How many players went down? Ben slipped on it, Sanders went down, Woodson, etc.

SteelTorch
02-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Not taking anything away from Ben... I would take him over Manning any day (play off record proves that). But this season played out like 2005, only we lost this year. We wouldn't have gotten to the big dance without him and his heroics... but unfortunately he didn't make enough big plays to help his team get over the hump. He admittedly said he left some passes out there, some that could of lead to more points.

Very much agree. While he was better than his first Superbowl, he just didn't have a good game. It happens. It just sucks that it had to be THIS game. Mendy fumbling was only the final nail in the coffin. Were it not for those turnovers, who knows what would've happened.

I too am happy for Rodgers, but I dread to see the media attention he's going to receive thanks to this. The only silver lining is that it MAY take some of the attention off of Brett Favre and Tom Brady.

Ozey74
02-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Big Ben has had a very bizarre last 11 months. The fact that he led this team to this game while overcomming all that he has had to deal with is a victory in itself (it still doesn't make the loss any easier). I just hope Ben can have a very quiet and uneventful next five and a half months and come back recharged and rested.

Other than mini camp clips (if they get a CBA done), I would be happy if I didn't see Ben's face until he shows up at St. Vincents on that friday afternoon in late July.

:tt2

brothervad
02-07-2011, 04:32 PM

No way...I even heard one of Ben's biggest critics in Steve Young saying after the game...there is no one else you want with 1:59 and game on the line in the SB. That's what Ben does, that's who he is.

The problem with you is that you are so blinded by your victimaztion/love of Ben, you fail to realize that there are things he needs to work on his game to be better.

Understand so does the best of them Brady, Manning, Rogers...etc. but you are so blinded by it you go into defense of Ben mode instead of being able to credibly criticize some of his chinks.

Now that said, He is a great QB...I just want more from him. I want him to come out and disect teams and dominate more often than he does.

You can call it the playcalling, but he also has to hold some of the blame at times.

Hugh Millen does a review mostly of Seahawks games, but disected the SuperBowl....on your inteference pick he noted that Ben had Heath open down the seam for a TD. He said he was wide open and Ben missed him.

You see...hats off to Capers...he saw how we took the middle of the field in that 37-36 win and he had them jumping the crossing routes.

In the end it was a team loss...the Offense did not have a great gameplan, the Defense did not have a great gameplan (drops were more responsible for a few of the holds on D than confusion/pressure) and ST were horrible wrt the penalties and missed FG.

So you can continue the Ben is God he can do no wrong...or you can be reasonable and look at how Ben can become a more dominant great QB...that is what I want to see in the off season IMO.

brothervad

Dee Dub
02-07-2011, 09:04 PM

So Mendenhall fumbling when they were driving to take the lead is on Ben? A rag-tag O-line that was by far the worst of any playoff team this year is Ben's faullt? The fact that the Steelers defense couldnt stop the Packers when they needed too is Ben's fault?

I admit Ben didnt play well the first half but the second half he played good enough to get his team in a position to win. The defense has to do their job too.

I am so glad to hear how the game of football is a one man game. :roll:

Steeler Shades
02-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Last night Ben had a golden opportunity to silence his critics and he couldn't. He did not have a good game.I admit Ben didnt play well the first half but the second half he played good enough to get his team in a position to win.
Playing poorly in the first half and average in the second half of another SB game was not enough to silence those of Ben's critics that don't think he is elite. Playing like an elite QB yesterday would have been a golden opportunity to silence those critics. He did NOT play like an elite QB yesterday.

I am so glad to hear how the game of football is a one man game. :roll:
Did you bother to read this thread? 8)

Mel Blount's G
02-07-2011, 09:41 PM
And again, neither are Brady and Peyton.

If Ben is going to be held accountable because of a missed Kemo block on pick #1, and a non call on interference on pick #2? Then whoever decides that is fuc*ed.

I'm not disagreeing with your points crash but.....do not forget the sack Ben took to make that FG attempt 52 yards - that was a HUGE mistake. Imagine the possibilities had that been an incomplete pass and we get 3 from that possession, with them starting their next possession at the 20 instead of midfield...

I know, I know. We have to live with those because of his potential for winging it down the field for a td after scrambling around. Sometimes though, the sand lot football frustrates me. Between Ben, Arians and the receivers, throwing a "simple" 2 step timing route seems hard to come by for tour Roethisburgh Steelers. God, a successful 42 yard FG followed by another touchback would have been nice right there...

aggiebones
02-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Do yourself a favor and turn off football til the draft gets closer.

As for Ben. elite status is upon retirement. I don't like this elite BS. Guys go up and down. Manning and Brady have been at the top for SURE in the past. But it always is in relation to your team.

Did Ben lose his potential elite status for 2 picks last night? No. Brady and Manning ended the season much less impressively. So last night is an aberration...unlessit continues for anotehr couple years.

skyhawk
02-07-2011, 11:09 PM
I think all the media attention and the mental abuse Ben took for his actions in Ga took a toll on his performance in the SB. I was concerned about it before the game and it surely affected him.

aggiebones
02-08-2011, 01:12 AM
No, that would have manefested itself sooner.
He's damaged. Foot was a problem in his throws.

Frankly, he wasn't horrible. The first pickwasn't his fault. Some big mofo came right up the middle and hit him under the arm. So erase that pick.
So 1 pick was likely his fault. I think the season was especially hard on him, but I think this game was no different than any other loss. They happen. Who is the best QB ever?

He lost alot of games too.

skyhawk
02-08-2011, 01:27 AM

Frankly, he wasn't horrible. The first pickwasn't his fault. Some big mofo came right up the middle and hit him under the arm. So erase that pick.
So 1 pick was likely his fault. I think the season was especially hard on him, but I think this game was no different than any other loss. They happen. Who is the best QB ever?

He never lost a Super Bowl.

fordfixer
02-08-2011, 01:30 AM

Some great QB's never played in a Super bowl

skyhawk
02-08-2011, 01:45 AM

Some great ones and some HOFers to boot. Good point. Maybe the SB is not the true measuring stick of a great QB? Maybe Ben is screwed either way.

Now, It's Fantasy stats! :stirpot

fordfixer
02-08-2011, 01:58 AM

Some great ones and some HOFers to boot. Good point. Maybe the SB is not the true measuring stick of a great QB? Maybe Ben is screwed either way.

Now, It's Fantasy stats! :stirpot
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Crash
02-08-2011, 02:22 AM
Now that said, He is a great QB...I just want more from him. I want him to come out and disect teams and dominate more often than he does.

Then get the backup TEs off the %^&*( field and use Ben the way he should be used. Same goes for Mendenhall as an all around back.

If anything our formations HANDCUFF Ben and the offense as a whole.

I'd call the plays for FREE. The ONLY dirt Ben would see would be the ones on the bottom of his cleats.

skyhawk
02-08-2011, 02:24 AM

Then get the backup TEs off the %^&*( field and use Ben the way he should be used. Same goes for Mendenhall as an all around back.

If anything our formations HANDCUFF Ben and the offense as a whole.

I'd call the plays for FREE. The ONLY dirt Ben would see would be the ones on the bottom of his cleats.

I feel Mendy (and Ben) DESERVE a good blocking fullback. And I agree, the formations hinder the talent at RB and QB.

Crash
02-08-2011, 02:26 AM
I feel Mendy (and Ben) DESERVE a good blocking fullback.

Um, no, they don't. The I-formation is not what Mendy needs.

Three wides and Miller as the base offense. Nail Spaeth and Johnson to the bench.

skyhawk
02-08-2011, 02:34 AM

Three wides and Miller as the base offense. Nail Spaeth and Johnson to the bench.

The one back offense with our personnel sucks. And no, Johnson is NOT a fullback.

steelcurtain44
02-08-2011, 10:29 AM
It's hard to believe some of these comments on this board. If that was any other QB who played that badly in the SB, all you guys would be crucifying him, calling him a chocker and any other name you all could come up with.

Ben had a game, and helped the Steelers lose that SB. You guys all killed NO for his interceptions in the SB, but with Ben it's the line, non pass interference, play calling, no fullback, penalty. Did it ever occur to you all that Ben was simply terrible?

Ben had a chance to cement his legacy, but he didn't. What I find really funny, is the poster who commented that, it's doesn't really matter that Ben wins SBs, to be elite. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that why everyone says he should be an elite QB because he wins SBs? Unbelieveable.

Stewie
02-08-2011, 11:05 AM
1. How the Lombardi Trophy is "going home"...last I checked that thing resides at our place more than anyone else's, if anything it's renting space in GB...it'll be back home soon.

2. How the Pack overcame so many injuries...we've overcome a line that's mostly back-ups, injuries to our Pro-Bowl center & safety, our best DLman, our TE, our #2 CB, WRs, etc... not to mention the injuries Ben had. Injuries are part of the game, but the Steelers line juggling was one of the least acknowledged stories of the year...it was nothing less than spectacular what Kugler did.

3. The GB players talking about how much character they have in the locker room & how the FO only brings in "quality" people. This is either blindness caused by euphoria or a dig at Ben. Last time I checked, character - like God - isn't the sole possession of any one team & I thought the Steelers showed some by not folding their tent & mailing it in. Here's hoping it gets recognized at some point.

I'll add a fouth too, even though it hasn't happened yet...how Ben isn't "elite". I don't know when it became an over-riding things to be considered "elite" (re: stat driven), I'm perfectly happy with Ben being a top 5 or 6 QB - it's brought us a lot of success so far & will bring more in the future.

Nobody seems to mention that for 2-3 series, our D had Rodgers really rattled.

Tomlinator
02-08-2011, 12:20 PM

Nobody seems to mention that for 2-3 series, our D had Rodgers really rattled.

Heck, from somewhere in the middle of the second quarter to the end of the third/start of fourth Rodgers didn't really do anything.

What I'm already sick of hearing about is the super specialness of Rodgers and how he is now the second coming. I agree he is a very good QB, but lets not get cazrried away.

If Ben had led that 4th quarter comeback I firmly believe the talk would have still been about Rodgers and how the Packers "played their hearts out."

Crash
02-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Ben had a chance to cement his legacy, but he didn't.

He did when he won his 3rd conference title. Again, every QB who is eligible for the HOF and started 3 Super Bowls is in the Hall of Fame.

Get the bust and the yellow jacket ready.

If Ben didn't cement his legacy Peyton Manning doesn't even have one.

RuthlessBurgher
02-08-2011, 01:36 PM

Getting a good blocking fullback on the roster does not mean that we revert back to the Bettis I formation all the time.

As we all noticed a couple of days ago, the Packers run a spread offense, and they also employ Korey Hall, Quinn Johnson, and John Kuhn on their roster, which is 3 more fullbacks than we have. We don't need 3...I'd settle for just one good one to use in short yardage and goal line situations.

Doug Legursky showed some promise in this role a few times, but he was obviously needed elsewhere in this particular game.

I'd look to draft Owen Marecic from Stanford in the middle rounds. He played both FB and ILB for the Cardinal and would be a beast on special teams for us.

feltdizz
02-08-2011, 01:57 PM
It's hard to believe some of these comments on this board. If that was any other QB who played that badly in the SB, all you guys would be crucifying him, calling him a chocker and any other name you all could come up with.

Ben had a game, and helped the Steelers lose that SB. You guys all killed NO for his interceptions in the SB, but with Ben it's the line, non pass interference, play calling, no fullback, penalty. Did it ever occur to you all that Ben was simply terrible?

Ben had a chance to cement his legacy, but he didn't. What I find really funny, is the poster who commented that, it's doesn't really matter that Ben wins SBs, to be elite. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that why everyone says he should be an elite QB because he wins SBs? Unbelieveable.

Ben is the one player who can't get critiqued without some fans thinking it's Ben bashing. He had a bad game.. it happens. This is why it's idiotic to tear down great QB's to prop Ben up...

Ben is human... :wink:

Crash
02-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Other QBs aren't torn down to prop Ben up. What we want is equal treatment for Ben compared to them.

Like I said, go find 5 national media who bashed Peyton for his 2006 post season the way Ben has for ONE GAME out of four during his 2005 run?

You won't, they don't exist.

My favorite bash Ben of the week is he, despite three SB games doesn't have the "longevity" (seven years) to be a HOF QB.

But somehow Brady and his EIGHT YEARS of work (one more than Ben) does.

Now what happens next year? Say Ben throws for 4000 yards and 25 TDs again in his 8th season, would he then have the "longevity" that Brady has because he then played 8 years like Tom has?

Even now, Ben has two turnovers (a pick 6), was down 21-3 and failed to rally for a win, and it's Ben "played bad" and he's not "elite".

Kurt Warner had two turnovers (including a pick 6 like Ben Sunday), was down 20-7 and all you hear about were his 377 yards and how they fought back.

For some reason Ben isn't treated the same as the other QBs, and I for one am tired of it.