PDA

View Full Version : Blatant interference on pick #2

Crash
02-07-2011, 01:59 AM
Not by the guy who picked it, by the DB who was covering Wallace.

Grabbed him around the waist, impeded Wallace's progress to the ball.

Wonder if the talking heads will harp on that like they did SB XL?

Worst part? Miller was wide open top left. Would have been six easy.

Dammit.

NJ-STEELER
02-07-2011, 03:03 AM
heath's not scoring with 30-40 yards still to run. love him, but he doesnt have the speed to finish those plays for TDs

good thing he got rid of the ball quick though like many here want to argue all the time.

if he pulls it back and waits 2 seconds. the deeper receiver is wide open as well as heath towards the left sideline

BradshawsHairdresser
02-07-2011, 04:04 AM

Dammit.

Ben failed to see the best target on several key plays.

Crash
02-07-2011, 04:19 AM
The only time Ben really had any sinc was the two TD drives, the one to Ward, and the one to Wallace.

14 combined plays. 11 of them had only one tight end on the field.

Like I said, we waste too many %$^&*() plays with two/three TE formations.

Chadman
02-07-2011, 04:42 AM
Crash- the 2/3 TE sets which involved the running game worked very well.

The running game was ticking along very nicely- 3 turnovers leading to 21 points was the problem- not 2 & 3 TE sets.

As much as we'd all like to see 15 WR sets & 3000 passing yards a game from Ben, sometimes give some credit to the various other players that contribute.

Crash
02-07-2011, 04:55 AM

Unfortunately we were throwing out of that formation to start the game.

It's worthless. Spaeth and Johnson have no business running pass patterns. If anything go get a hybrid. A H-back type who can run and create mis-matches with linebackers in open space.

Yeah it worked so well when Johnson whiffed his block and Mendy fumbled too.

Mendenhall should be like LT was for the Chargers, spread teams out, run the ball from it, and also use him as a pass catcher.

We have speed, and we have skill at WR, but we waste too many drives, and too many chances with those two clods on the field.

We basically coach down our own talent.

Hopefully if BA goes, Randy Fichtner gets promoted and we run a version of the "Memphis spread".

I'll take my chances with a base offense of Hines/Wallace/Sanders/Miller any day of the week.

sd steel
02-07-2011, 03:21 PM

Unfortunately we were throwing out of that formation to start the game.

It's worthless. Spaeth and Johnson have no business running pass patterns. If anything go get a hybrid. A H-back type who can run and create mis-matches with linebackers in open space.

Yeah it worked so well when Johnson whiffed his block and Mendy fumbled too.

Mendenhall should be like LT was for the Chargers, spread teams out, run the ball from it, and also use him as a pass catcher.

We have speed, and we have skill at WR, but we waste too many drives, and too many chances with those two clods on the field.

We basically coach down our own talent.

Hopefully if BA goes, Randy Fichtner gets promoted and we run a version of the "Memphis spread".

I'll take my chances with a base offense of Hines/Wallace/Sanders/Miller any day of the week.
I don't agree with throwing out of that formation if we are showiing pass, but it was obvious that BA wanted to come out and show run, which is what GB would have expected, then catch them off guard with the pass.

First off we should have stuck with what we do instead of trying to throw a curveball, GB couldn't stop the run, but we didn't find out until it was too late. This is really where we lost the game, on the first drive, because we didn't stick with our game...we changed the plan. If you look at every other aspect of the game, GB did what they do, no surprises, Lebeau did what he does and didn't change scheme, no surprises, but BA tried to get tricky, and it bit us in the butt. If we control the clock and pound the ball the first drive with 3 straight run plays we might have found out just like against the Jets that we would be able to run.

Eich
02-07-2011, 03:54 PM

Dammit.

I need to see a replay of it. I have it DVR'd just haven't felt like looking at anything again yet.

Regardless, as I recall, Ben shouldn't have tried to thread that needle anyway. We shouldn't need to throw into such tight coverage.