PDA

View Full Version : Fugure HOFers..

bostonsteeler
02-07-2011, 01:11 AM
How much did Ben hurt his future HOF chances today?

What about Ward / Pola / is there any other potential future hofer here?

JTP53609
02-07-2011, 01:19 AM
hines and ben are in, i think hines is in now...ben will get in as long as he plays a few more years even without another super bowl win (he will get one at least though)...

I love Polamalu always have, both on and off the field, but too often he is dissapears, he reminds me of a baseaball player that is on a hot streak than a cold streak, I know that comes with his position, but he started the season off on fire than he was no where for 5 games than he picked it up in the middle to the end of the year and now the playoffs he did nothing....If he retried today he would get in the H.O.F for his name more than his play, and I am not ripping him I am just saying sometimes the media blows people up moe than they should.

Sonny
02-07-2011, 01:20 AM
He hurt them to the point where it, again, "remains to be seen".

Even after the picks, if we come back and win this game after being down 21-3? If he makes that deep throw to Wallace to take the lead and from there, win the game? He is in right now. Now, this is something that won't be decided for a while.

Crash
02-07-2011, 01:22 AM
None, if the voters remain consistent.

EVERY eligible QB who has won three cconference titles, is in the Hall of Fame. Including Bob Griese, who threw 16 passes, in an ENTIRE POST SEASON, and Fran Tarkenton who has 0-3 in SBs.

If Ben isn't in? Neither is Peyton and his 70.8 rating the year he won his lone ring.

OldSteelerFan
02-07-2011, 01:26 AM
How much did Ben hurt his future HOF chances today?

IMO Ben isn't HOF material. He is good but definitely not HOF material.

OldSteelerFan

bostonsteeler
02-07-2011, 01:28 AM

Now that is a questionable issue, unfortunately.
I never thought Aikman was anywhere as good a QB as Ben. He benefited greatly from having a HOF running back, a HOF WR and a fantastic Oline, and yet his numbers were pedestrian.
But when he played the pundits never spoke of him in any but glowing terms.

On the other hand they seem to choke a bit when listing Ben among the top-rung QBs.

bostonsteeler
02-07-2011, 01:28 AM

Now that is a questionable issue, unfortunately.
I never thought Aikman was anywhere as good a QB as Ben. He benefited greatly from having a HOF running back, a HOF WR and a fantastic Oline, and yet his numbers were pedestrian.
But when he played the pundits never spoke of him in any but glowing terms.

On the other hand they seem to choke a bit when listing Ben among the top-rung QBs.

sd steel
02-07-2011, 01:31 AM
I think thiswill add to the impression along with the accusations that he is not a HOFer. I have to say Ben is a winner, and he is a main reason we got this far, but although he is a winner and a phenomenal athlete, I think tonight sort of shows he isn't in the elite class. He is perfect for the Steelers, but he is far from prototypical, and if he were to end his career today, no chance he gets in the Hall. That being said he still has alot of years left, and I'm guessing he will be judged more on his remaining years as opposed to what he has done up until now. Just because of the media's portrayal of him he is going to have to go over and above to reach the hall imo.

Sonny
02-07-2011, 02:09 AM
The man is good enough to win us a Super Bowl. Multiple Super Bowls. I'm happy with that. Happy to have a top 5 or 6 or 7 QB. I don't know why some people seem to get butt hurt when you don't want to put him right up there with the best.

Crash
02-07-2011, 02:12 AM
I think tonight sort of shows he isn't in the elite class.

Then neither are Peyton and Brady.

Pull up Peyton's 2006 playoff run.

Then after that, pull up 2001 Tom Brady's season, and compare it to 2005 Ben Roethlisberger.

Brady's done squat in the playoffs since they got busted cheating.

Ben is pigeon-holed by the "notion" of what Steeler football is.

If Ben had this same production, playing for the Seahawks, they'd say he's a damn near lock.

sd steel
02-07-2011, 02:33 AM
I think tonight sort of shows he isn't in the elite class.

Then neither are Peyton and Brady.

Pull up Peyton's 2006 playoff run.

Then after that, pull up 2001 Tom Brady's season, and compare it to 2005 Ben Roethlisberger.

Ben is pigeon-holed by the "notion" of what Steeler football is.

If Ben had this same production, playing for the Seahawks, they'd say he's a damn near lock.
Stats aren't going to be the factor. This may be unfair for him, but he will be judged more on his ability to win the Super Bowl. He plays too ugly, and until he becomes Super Bowl MVP and wins another one, even more convincingly than Super Bowl 43, he will not get the nod. Like I said, Ben is a winner, and although he has the ability to bring his A game normally, especially when it counts, he will be judged by Super Bowl 40 and tonight more than anything else. Rodgers outplayed him tonight, Warner outplayed him in 43, and Hasslebeck outplayed him in 40. He played crappy against Brady and Brees this year, and he is not always the main focus of our game plan, even though his stats are pretty impressive. He also lacks consistency, and consistency is what keeps him from being elite in my opinion. With his off the field issues he is going to have to win at least one more Super Bowl, and be the MVP, or at least 2 more Super Bowls with pedestrian efforts for him to make the HOF imo.

Crash
02-07-2011, 02:51 AM
Kurt Warner outplayed Ben? With two turnovers and a pick 6?

If you say so.

Ben does play ugly.

So did Bradshaw.

He's in too, no?

Crash
02-07-2011, 02:54 AM
With his off the field issues he is going to have to win at least one more Super Bowl, and be the MVP, or at least 2 more Super Bowls with pedestrian efforts for him to make the HOF imo.

Then it's time for the Hall to close it's doors and stop accepting members.

Guys like LT and Bruce Smith have/had far more DOCUMENTED FACTUAL issues than Ben (who was merely accused), and they were first ballots.

NJ-STEELER
02-07-2011, 02:54 AM
if dawson doesnt get in, hines isnt making it either

sd steel
02-07-2011, 03:00 AM
Kurt Warner outplayed Ben? With two turnovers and a pick 6?

If you say so.

Ben does play ugly.

So did Bradshaw.

He's in too, no?
Bradshaw was the first with 4. They couldn't keep him out. I didn't check the stats on Warner, but if you ask a talking head, and they are the ones that influence the vote, they will say Warner was better in that game even with Ben's unbelievable comeback drive. No one outside of Pittsburgh likes Ben, and no one will give him the benefit of the doubt. Im not saying it's right, it's just my perception as of now.

skyhawk
02-07-2011, 04:27 AM
Ben sucked tonight. He solidified his legacy tonight by throwing 2 picks.

No Hall for him.. Seriously. Come on. Give me a reason he should be in???

Crash
02-07-2011, 04:38 AM
Ben sucked tonight. He solidified his legacy tonight by throwing 2 picks.

No Hall for him.. Seriously. Come on. Give me a reason he should be in???

Simple, every eligible QB who has won three conference titles, regardless of number of Super Bowl rings won, is in the Hall of Fame.

If Ben isn't in, neither are Brady and Peyton. Brady won when they cheated. Peyton's playoff record is 9-10 and his "ring year" his numbers were dreadful.

Sonny
02-07-2011, 04:41 AM
The reason Manning and Brady are going to the HOF is their stats. People, voters, they all love stats, right or wrong.

People weren't on Brady's nuts until he started putting up the huge numbers, even though those huge numbers haven't led to a ring.

After 2 rings, Brady wasn't a hall of famer. It took #3 to get the HOF respect, like Ben would have gotten. The huge numbers are what has put him over the top, in the fan's/voters minds.

This is about the fans/voters, the overwhelming majority of the people, and not just us Steeler fans, right? No one has to preach about Ben to us, we know how good he is. This is about selling him to other people and the last time I checked, the Steelers/Rooneys don't own the Hall of Fame.