PDA

View Full Version : who stays-who goes?

sentinel33
02-07-2011, 12:56 AM
With Flozell being 36 next year, Ward being 35 and Farrior at 35, who stays and who goes.

IMO: Ward stays, flozell stays and Farrior exits(sadly).

What say you?

bostonsteeler
02-07-2011, 01:02 AM
Ward stays. Farrier goes.

Im hoping Arians goes.

JTP53609
02-07-2011, 01:05 AM
our defense needs to get younger....our offense is in good shape, but our defense needs to get younger in the middle, farrior would be nice as a back up, maybe we could get another farrior like how we got another earl holmes when we got farrior in 02...we need a shut down corner or at least another corner to play with Ike that is if Ike comes back...Our D-line is good for another year or two but we need to adress that too,

steelblood
02-07-2011, 01:07 AM
A. Smith - should consider retiring. His body is giving out.

Potsie - he'll consider retiring. but, I think he'll try one more year.

Ward - honestly, I'm conflicted here. I think he comes back, but part of me wants him to retire.

Flozell - bring him back. colon is unsigned and coming off a significant injury.

New contract for Wood. Franchise Ike if he can't be resigned to a reasonable short contract.

Resign Jonathan Scott.

Lebsteel
02-07-2011, 01:23 AM
Smith retires, Farrior needs to retire and Ward comes back for one more year.

I don't think Ike is worth the franchise tag. What would it be, $10 million? I hope they can sign Wood for Harrison-level money and Ike for around that pay scale. If not, in the long run, it would be better to let Ike go and draft a CB. He is not worth elite CB pay.

Steelhere10
02-07-2011, 01:28 AM
Gone- Ward, Smith, Fox and Dookie McFadden.
The rest i think stays, i might get blasted here but Ward look so old and slow it looks pathetic. A Ravens fans even gave me a call to say that.

steelblood
02-07-2011, 01:33 AM
The rest i think stays, i might get blasted here but Ward look so old and slow it looks pathetic. A Ravens fans even gave me a call to say that.

Ward is not good against man coverage. But, he is money against the zone. He had a nice game tonight. He must take a pay cut though as he is really a complementary player now.

Discipline of Steel
02-07-2011, 01:36 AM

Yeah but the vet WRs made a lot of the big plays (Ward, ARE). I liked the 2pt conversion play.

Woodley isnt going to get Harrison money, hes not as good.

Crash
02-07-2011, 01:39 AM
This needs to happen:

The Pittsburgh Steelers have waived tight ends Matt Spaeth, and David Johnson.

If that does not occur? Everything else they do is irrelevant.

Chadman
02-07-2011, 01:40 AM
McFadden, Gay, Maddison, Hoke, Aaron Smith, Battle, Suisham, Speath, Fox & Mundy.

Farrior might retire too.

Ward & El stay- proved they can still contribute.

Draft DB's the first 3 rounds.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-07-2011, 01:50 AM
McFadden, Gay, Maddison, Hoke, Aaron Smith, Battle, Suisham, Speath, Fox & Mundy.

are you out of your mind?

there is no way gay, mcfadden, and mundy need to go.

who the hell will play? these three rookies you want to draft?

give me a break.

Crash
02-07-2011, 01:51 AM
Mundy rarely plays on defense.

I think McFadden will go.

Gay will stay.

Eddie Spaghetti
02-07-2011, 01:53 AM
mundy played reasonably well with troy out.

he stays another year.

hawaiiansteel
02-07-2011, 02:12 AM
Ward: 'I'll be back'

February 6th, 2011

ARLINGTON, Texas –

After a turn-back-the-clock game that ended with a disappointing outcome Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said he has no plans to retire.

“I’ll be back,” Ward said after the Steelers’ 31-25 loss to the Green Bay in Super Bowl XLV. “I’m not going anywhere.”

Ward, 34, played one of his best games of the season and looked anything but aging in catching seven passes for 78 yards and a touchdown.

Those were his most receiving yards since going over 100 in a win against the Bengals on Dec. 12. Ward also became just the sixth player in NFL receiver with at least 10 touchdown catches in postseason play

Ward, the MVP of Super Bowl XL, took no consolation in individual accolades or the fight the Steelers showed while climbing back from an 18-point deficit.

“That locker room was pretty bad,” Ward said. “It’s sad to see guys like (right tackle) Flozell Adams and stuff like that.”

The Steelers had a chance to win the game at the end after getting the back with two minutes, seven left in the game.

They would have had the ball at their own 26-yard line but an unnecessary roughness call on special teams captain Keyaron Fox cost them 13 yards. The Steelers never mounted a serious drive and turned the ball over on downs.

“I had a feeling we were going to do it again,” Ward said of another late Steelers comeback. “But we should have never been in that situation. We felt like whoever had the ball last was going to win the game. We just came up short and hats off to (the) Green Bay Packers.”

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2011/02/06/ward-ill-be-back/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

NJ-STEELER
02-07-2011, 02:39 AM
no way does smith quit unless he cant get 100%

to come back almost all the way re habbing his injury...he'll play another year

hawaiiansteel
02-07-2011, 02:43 AM
Gerry Dulac's Two-Minute Drill

Monday, February 07, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

WHAT WAS HE THINKING?

Linebacker Keyaron Fox is the Steelers' special teams captain, but he is an unrestricted free agent and probably won't be brought back, not after another senseless penalty on special teams. Fox committed a personal foul after Antonio Brown's kick return to the 26, pushing the Steelers back to their 13 with 1:59 left. Those kinds of penalties have been common for Fox this season. "We can't do that," said Ward. "We're getting the ball at the 30 and, next thing you know, we're backed at the 10. We knew we had to play perfect ball to beat them."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11038/11 ... z1DFUrSFAf (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11038/1123717-66.stm#ixzz1DFUrSFAf)

Chadman
02-07-2011, 04:50 AM

are you out of your mind?

there is no way gay, mcfadden, and mundy need to go.

who the hell will play? these three rookies you want to draft?

give me a break.

Crap, you're right. It's foolish to think a 1st round pick could start on this team. And Will Allen getting playing time? Sheesh. Lucky Mundy is all over him. And Willie Gay is leaps & bounds a better player than Keenan Lewis & Crezdon Butler- neither of those guys could even be considered with Gay around.

It's incredibly foolish of us to not have the exact same train of thought as you, genious.

What we should do, is obviously, stick with the same. Teams like the Pats & Packers will eventually forget they can pass on us...

Stewie
02-07-2011, 08:21 AM
This needs to happen:

No way I cut Johnson. OUTSTANDING blocker.

Oviedo
02-07-2011, 08:48 AM

I don't think Ike is worth the franchise tag. What would it be, $10 million? I hope they can sign Wood for Harrison-level money and Ike for around that pay scale. If not, in the long run, it would be better to let Ike go and draft a CB. He is not worth elite CB pay.

Can't afford to let Ike go. We have absolutely nothing behind him at CB. They will retain him out of necessity.

With all the constant moaning about the OL we have missed how bad our CBs really are.

SteelBucks
02-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Ward's coming back. From the Trib.....

ARLINGTON, Texas — After a turn-back-the-clock game that ended with a disappointing outcome Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said he has no plans to retire.

“I’ll be back,” Ward said after the Steelers’ 31-25 loss to the Green Bay in Super Bowl XLV. “I’m not going anywhere.”

Ward, 34, played one of his best games of the season and looked anything but aging in catching seven passes for 78 yards and a touchdown.

Those were his most receiving yards since going over 100 in a win against the Bengals on Dec. 12. Ward also became just the sixth player in NFL receiver with at least 10 touchdown catches in postseason play

Ward, the MVP of Super Bowl XL, took no consolation in individual accolades or the fight the Steelers showed while climbing back from an 18-point deficit.

“That locker room was pretty bad,” Ward said. “It’s sad to see guys like (right tackle) Flozell Adams and stuff like that.”

The Steelers had a chance to win the game at the end after getting the back with two minutes, seven left in the game.

They would have had the ball at their own 26-yard line but an unnecessary roughness call on special teams captain Keyaron Fox cost them 13 yards. The Steelers never mounted a serious drive and turned the ball over on downs.

“I had a feeling we were going to do it again,” Ward said of another late Steelers comeback. “But we should have never been in that situation. We felt like whoever had the ball last was going to win the game. We just came up short and hats off to (the) Green Bay Packers.”

Oviedo
02-07-2011, 08:52 AM
no way does smith quit unless he cant get 100%

to come back almost all the way re habbing his injury...he'll play another year

And therefore we will delay the development or retention of another young player. Smith's body is gone. he is one of my All-Time favorites but his body is done and I'm not for wasting another roster spot for the entire season to keep him around when he gets hurt again.

We need to interject some youth into our defense.

steeler_george
02-07-2011, 08:53 AM
No one is retireing. They all will stay but with more rotation with the young emerging stars.

Ward still has it, he getting up there in age but still can produce. Now from the #1 WR to 3rd?

A. Smith will be brought back and there will be a 3 man rotaion of him, Diesel, and Ziggy.

Farrior stays period. He had a great season I think just as productive or influencetial than the 2 years agao.

Mcfad/Gay to me both of these guys are the same calliber players. They have their moments but they are both easily burned. They both could start on most teams in the NFL, but ideal they are best suited to be the 3rd-4th DBs.

Flozel stays for the most one or 2 yrs, all depends on the health of Colon and Starks who falls to us in the FA and draft.

SteelBucks
02-07-2011, 08:54 AM

Can't afford to let Ike go. We have absolutely nothing behind him at CB. They will retain him out of necessity.

With all the constant moaning about the OL we have missed how bad our CBs really are.

:Agree

They need to find someone opposite Ike, not let him go.

snarky
02-07-2011, 11:39 AM
This needs to happen:

Personally, I like Johnson as a number 3 TE who can also contribute at FB. Spaeth can be upgraded but I hardly get your last statement. We just played in a SB with those guys and they certainly were not the reason we lost.

flippy
02-07-2011, 11:47 AM
We should seriously considering letting some older guys go to free up enough money for Asomugha.

Heck I'd consider letting Ike, Woodley, Farrior, Clark, and Hampton go to free up money for Nnamdi.

We could get by with Hoke, Foote, Worldis, Sylvester, and BMac/Gay with some good drafting.

grotonsteel
02-07-2011, 11:53 AM
I think Aaron Smith comes back after taking a pay cut. He should be backup to Ziggy Hood. BTW Aaron Smith is one of the greatest Steelers or Top-15 Steelers ever. Don't mean any disrespect here.

Cut B-Mac, Keenan Lewis and Ryan Mundy. Draft a CB and Safety. Don't resign Fox. That stupid penalty was huge.

I would retain William Gay as a nickel CB.

I would draft or sign an OG (Mike Pouncey if available or a high draft pick) and replace Kemo at LG. Kemo sucks outright. Kemo was pushed around like a rag-doll. He could not win 1-on-1 battle. When Foster performs better than a regular LG its a big problem at OG position.

snarky
02-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Offensively, we are pretty young and we have about a decade left to win with Ben. Take the long view and draft Pouncey if he available (since we would then have a very good chance at keeping the two of them for a long time).

Our first non-Pouncey pick (1st or 2nd round should be a CB). If we can sign a FA who is on the downside of his career to fill a need as a 3rd CB, do it. Then take the rest of the CB bunch and sort out who is worth keeping. I think if the price is right then BMac is worth keeping. But he isn't the answer at starting CB.

aggiebones
02-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Farrior, maybe. Depends on how he feels. If he goes then Fox stays. If not Fox is out.
Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Ward and maybe El. Those are the likely WRs unless we draft someone, then El drops off.

"McFadden, Gay, Maddison, Hoke, Aaron Smith, Battle, Suisham, Speath, Fox & Mundy."
This list is weird to me. Do we think we can just go out and get a whole new defense? lol
We likely keep 2 of McFadden, Gay and Mundy.
Spaeth is a solid backup TE, not sure what everyone expects.
As for Hoke and Hampton. If they draft a NT in one of the first 2 rounds, then either could be sent packing.
ASmith will likely be back for one more. I think Hood plays backup to both sides, but gets as much or more PT than Smith or Keisel.

Battle, Suisham, Maddison may be gone.

We had a really good season, you don't just trash everyone and try and start over. We'll bring in 1 FA before training camp and maybe 1 more if someone gets injured. And we'll keep about 5 draft picks on the 53 man roster. So 6 guys have to go. Some of it depends on who we draft.

Crash
02-07-2011, 12:41 PM
This needs to happen:

Please. The running game was erratic all season. All they did was run more, they didn't run BETTER.

Johnson is of no consequence in the passing game. He's on the field? 90% of the time it's a run play. That predictability hurts the offense.

flippy
02-07-2011, 12:46 PM
This needs to happen:

Please. The running game was erratic all season. All they did was run more, they didn't run BETTER.

Johnson is of no consequence in the passing game. He's on the field? 90% of the time it's a run play. That predictability hurts the offense.

I thought we ran better in the last 2 games than we did most of the season.

Crash
02-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Okay, two games.

They played 19.

See what I mean?

flippy
02-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Okay, two games.

They played 19.

See what I mean?

I agree with you, just saying they may have something to build on from the end of the season. Mendy has been improving in spite of the line and play calling imho.

AngryAsian
02-07-2011, 01:21 PM
We should seriously considering letting some older guys go to free up enough money for Asomugha.

Heck I'd consider letting Ike, Woodley, Farrior, Clark, and Hampton go to free up money for Nnamdi.

We could get by with Hoke, Foote, Worldis, Sylvester, and BMac/Gay with some good drafting.

Sorry brother this is some insane thinking. BMac and Gay are horrible and I'll throw up all over myself if we don't find someone else opposite of Ike. I think Ike can be re-signed for a home town discount and Woodley can also get paid with some creative cap thinking. We need to draft CB in the first round and OL in the second. Farrior is the "HEART" of this team as described by his team mates and his coach. If he wants to come back, let him come back for another go at it, because it gives him time to groom Timmons as his successor. But MHO is that we draft DBs and OLs like there's no tomorrow.... and sprinkle a better TE/FB than what we've been using in Spaeth/Johnson.

GARBAGE that needs to go bye-bye this offseason: BMac, Gay, Spaeth and Johnson.

Crash
02-07-2011, 01:23 PM
GARBAGE that needs to go bye-bye this offseason: BMac, Gay, Spaeth and Johnson.

Tomlin likes Gay so he's staying. But the other three need to go.

birtikidis
02-07-2011, 02:29 PM

Chadman, I like the idea of cleaning house the way he did with porter and all, but i think you're looking at the wrong positions. sure our db's aren't great, but we have some young ones to develop and our defense is good.
get rid of our guards and start fresh there.
Pouncey in the 1st
Wis in the 2nd
protect your greatest asset.
get some youth for the DL and DB's in the 3rd and up.
let Foster, Colon and Adams fight it out for the RT spot
let Max, Scott and Essex work at LT for a spot
if Max and Adams win it, let Foster and Essex be your swing men.

papillon
02-07-2011, 03:09 PM

Chadman, I like the idea of cleaning house the way he did with porter and all, but i think you're looking at the wrong positions. sure our db's aren't great, but we have some young ones to develop and our defense is good.
get rid of our guards and start fresh there.
Pouncey in the 1st
Wis in the 2nd
protect your greatest asset.
get some youth for the DL and DB's in the 3rd and up.
let Foster, Colon and Adams fight it out for the RT spot
let Max, Scott and Essex work at LT for a spot
if Max and Adams win it, let Foster and Essex be your swing men.

In my opinion the Steelers greatest asset (Ben) needs to protect himself if he wants protected. The offensive line gave him more than ample time last night. You can't expect linemen to hold blocks for 4 to 5 seconds or more. Even on the 1st pick when Ben got hit and forced the throw to be short, the pump fake did him in, not the blocking. The offensive line is the only unit that played above the line last night. Not one other unit was even close to being above the line, special teams, skill players, coaching decisions and defense were all pretty bad.

It was a ragged game; they happen, unfortunately it happened in the Super Bowl.

Pappy

birtikidis
02-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Pap, I'm not basing that on one game. Kemo is ugly. has been all season. this isn't the first year we've heard and seen how bad our o-line is. you and i both know this. Protect Ben. Open lanes for Rashard. get o-lineman who can do both, not just be good at ONE thing.

Djfan
02-07-2011, 04:18 PM

Sorry brother this is some insane thinking. BMac and Gay are horrible and I'll throw up all over myself if we don't find someone else opposite of Ike. I think Ike can be re-signed for a home town discount and Woodley can also get paid with some creative cap thinking. We need to draft CB in the first round and OL in the second. Farrior is the "HEART" of this team as described by his team mates and his coach. If he wants to come back, let him come back for another go at it, because it gives him time to groom Timmons as his successor. But MHO is that we draft DBs and OLs like there's no tomorrow.... and sprinkle a better TE/FB than what we've been using in Spaeth/Johnson.

This.

And Aaron Smith is done. Time to move on.

Gay is staying. Maybe Mundy. I had high hopes for Fox. Too bad.

AkronSteel
02-07-2011, 06:30 PM
I don't know if this is the best time for me to be making comments on this subject considering I am still feeling utterly numb over the loss last night. I think I have only had this completely empty feeling a few times in my life. AFCC 94 when we blew the game to the Chargers, Super Bowl XXX, AFCC 04 losing to the Patriots, and on a different level when I lost my grandparents, but hey I say why not??

For me it is time for the team to really start looking towards the future. The Super Bowl this year was great but I don't think any of us loyal fans on this board would say that they were completely confident throughout the entire year that this Steelers squad had the makeup of a true champion. I don't recall them ever playing a full 60 minutes of complete football all year. They played good in spurts. The handed it to the Raiders through a clusterf**k of penalties. They beat up on the Browns and the Bengals and the Panthers. They played decent at the beginning of the year against the Falcons, yet didn't play that well. They beat up on the Titans but didn't score an offensive TD. They beat up on the Buccaneers, which was probably their best game of the year, but they still didn't play a full 60 minutes on all three sides of the ball in any one game.

I think the defense definitely needs to be retooled. The secondary needs to be rolled over. Troy and Clark are solid at the safety positions but I don't see the team giving Ike Taylor the kind of change that he will be looking for on the open market. BMac should be gone because, well, he just isn't that good. Gay could probably stay in his nickel back role but Lewis has been a disappointment and well Madison just doesn't belong on the field. We have no idea what we have in Butler!

The LB's are in good shape with veterans and young contributors but how much are we going to pay for Wood? He is so solid but he is not a superstar so should we pay him like one? Farrior while great and the heart and soul of this team has definitely lost a step and needs to have a reduced role. Harrison and Timmons are fantastic and I would expect to see them contributing aplenty for years to come but should Worilds and Stevenson start seeing more time with the base and specialty packages?

The DL is solid but needs to have an infusion of a couple more young players to go along with Ziggy. Keisel can probably go for a few more years and Hampton, well he's a big body and a space eater, those kind of guys can play forever. Aaron, as much as I love the guy, is done in my opinion. He hasn't been the same player for a long time and I don't see the sense in paying him to only play in 4-5 games a year going forward. A young NT and young DE are needed. I hope they can add those to the team in the offseason.

The OL is an interesting subject. I see some solid young players in Legursky and Foster, and a possible future HOF'r in Pouncey but outside that????? What are Starks and Colon going to look like coming off some pretty serious injuries??? Can the Steelers coax another year out of Flozell??? I say probably not!!! Kemo.....well I say it's time for this undisciplined POS to get off my favorite football team. The guy can't block in space and can't block the man right across from him on many occasions. I'm sure he still has nightmares about Kyle Williams. This position could go either way depending on what injuries and decisions effect the outcome. We have no idea what we have in Chris Scott!

The WR's and TE's are in pretty good order. Wallace, Sanders, and Brown (even though his dumba$$ didn't know the playbook well enough to line up in the right spots last night) will lead the Steelers into the future. They still need to find a bigger receiver to go with all the quick little guys, but who knows what will happen with Sweed??? Maybe just maybe....nah nevermind!!! Ward, as much as I love the guy and consider him one of my favorite Steelers of all time, needs to have a reduced role if not moved off the team completely unless he wants to take a significant pay cut. As much as most of us don't want to admit it. The fact that Santonio Holmes wasn't on the field last night hurt us probably more than anything. Heath is a stud and will continue to help the Steelers for many years to come and Johnson is a good swing guy to have at FB/TE but Spaeth needs to be upgraded and considering his contract is up, I say move on!!!

The RB's are solid and Mendenhall could turn into a stud....he's just not there yet. Redman is a solid contributor but we could probably use a more explosive player to go with Rashard. Moore has probably seen his last days as a Steeler and who knows what the team has in Dwyer. All in all this probably isn't the biggest need.

The QB's well....Ben is Ben and he didn't have his best game last night but he wins in that situation 9 out of 10 times, last night just happened to be the 10th time. It is what it is....the team has a top 5 QB in the league. I can't complain.

I don't have the answers as to what the team can do to fill the holes I am alluding to at this point because well I just haven't thought about it that far. I'm still thinking about Rashard's fumble and Ike missing that post pattern by an eyelash. I don't know how long it will take to get over this game, but it won't last forever and at some point I could see myself thinking more logically. Anyways, thats my opinion.

P.S. Sorry for the long rant but I had to get some stuff off my chest!!!

Chadman
02-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Ok, after having a few hours to recoup, let Chadman explain his list of 'players to go'..

DB's- McFadden, Gay, Mundy & Maddison. Harsh? Possibly. Realistic? Probably not. But here's the thing- McFadden seems to have regressed to an unacceptable level. Don't know what happened- he left the Steelers for the Cards & looked a decent starter. Struggled badly at the Cards, traded back here & struggled even more. He now looks unsalvagable. Willie Gay sucked as a starter. Then moved back to nickle & looked ok. Until we faced a spread offense. Then he sucked again. So, when he actually is asked to, you know, cover people, he sucks. That, Chadman believes, tends to be a bit of a problem for CB's. Mundy has not really progressed that much, and has had a few gaffes on ST. Is he bad? No, but Clark & Troy are not getting better or younger, and quite frankly, Mundy does not look like a future starter. Will Allen is better on ST's, so keep him & bring in a young Safety to be groomed to replace Clark. Maddison...is just a ST guy & can be replaced. Maybe this is Gay's calling- Maddison's replacement? The SB proved one thing to Chadman- if the DB's can't cover the recievers, it doesn't matter how good your pass rush is- they won't have the time to get there. Better CB's & nickle/dime guys will give Harrison & Woodley more time- and that will make the D dominant.

TE- Speath isn't good. Why replace the 2nd TE though? well, in a Bruce Arians offense, the 2nd TE is a STARTER. Do YOU feel comfortable with Matt Speath starting? Didn't think so. Draft a mid-round blocking TE.

DL- Hoke is older than Hampton. We can convince ourselves that there will be no drop-off in his performance if we like, but it's unrealistic. And with Hampton up in age, do you REALLY want to have both decline, look around for a guy to rotate in & go..."oops"? Hampton has 2 or so years in him. Draft a young guy to learn behind him so that when Hampton does start declining, we are not left with an even further declined back-up. This is not a knock on Hoke who is, in his own right, a fine player. But long term, this makes sense. Aaron Smith is a big money player playing a part-time role with no guarentee he can make it through a season. That tends to be roster-release time. Again, not a knock on Smith who has been outstanding for a long time, but eventually you have to think about what is best for the team. Keisel, Hood & Eason are your experienced DE's- then bring in a young guy to rotate in & learn.

LB- Fox is a numb-nuts that can easily be replaced by Sylvester. No brainer move. Farrior might retire. Is there really any REASON for him to want to come back? At 36, it's time to think of retiring. He might have a year left in him- maybe. Not saying he should go, just that we have to prepare for the possibility he might. Besides, how much difference will there be between Farrior & Foote at this point, really?

WR- Battle. Non-factor. Brown & sanders have passed him easily.

StarSpangledSteeler
02-07-2011, 07:32 PM
I think a lot of people are looking at this emotionally and not logically. If you cut these guys you'd better have a SUPERIOR option coming in to take their place. I'm all for reducing snaps on our aging starters but who are you going to put in Farrior's spot? Sylvester? 2011 needs to be a "transition" year not a "fire sale". Aaron Smith would provide excellent depth as a back up DE. As would McFadden at CB. You can demote these guys to second string but don't cut them.

P.S. - Ike Taylor is the key signing of the off season. As our soon to be drafted "elite" cornerback develops in the coming years, Ike can slip into the #2 CB spot very nicely.

BURGH86STEEL
02-07-2011, 08:05 PM
I think a lot of people are looking at this emotionally and not logically. If you cut these guys you'd better have a SUPERIOR option coming in to take their place. I'm all for reducing snaps on our aging starters but who are you going to put in Farrior's spot? Sylvester? 2011 needs to be a "transition" year not a "fire sale". Aaron Smith would provide excellent depth as a back up DE. As would McFadden at CB. You can demote these guys to second string but don't cut them.

P.S. - Ike Taylor is the key signing of the off season. As our soon to be drafted "elite" cornerback develops in the coming years, Ike can slip into the #2 CB spot very nicely.

One huge question that fans or the organization can't answer at this point is can they find adequate replacements or upgrades for the players the team needs to replace? It's so easy to talk about replacing players. Finding the necessary players is never easy. Especially, if those players are not available. The fact that the Steelers will be drafting at 31 makes the task even more difficult. There are also financial considerations.

I am sure the Steelers wish they can have great players at every position. The structure of the league makes it difficult to achieve that unrealistic expectation.

The CB's gave up some plays. Several of those plays were given up because the pass rush did not get there. Players up front had a difficult time winning one on one. It's not going to matter who they have in the secondary if the pass rush does not get there.

NJ-STEELER
02-07-2011, 09:16 PM
the defense led the league in sacks this year (with 6 more then last year)

teams are going to scheme to max protect certain times and have quick hitting passes on others, its really impossible to get pressure all the time. we need the DBs to step up and actually cover someone once in a while

Stewie
02-08-2011, 08:23 AM
My take is that our priorities should be NT, DB, OL. OL third, because Kugs has done a remarkable job, and with Colon and Starks coming back, Colon could move to RG, and Foster at least doesn't hurt us. Scott REALLY picked up his game after being yanked a coupla games ago. Legs proved he can play. Don't recall hearing Raji's name all game. I don't believe that the Florida Pouncey is so good as to be an immediate starter. It would be nice to replace Kemo, but one thing he has that the other OL don't (besides Pouncey) is mobility. He pulls well. We just need to assign someone to grab him when the whistle blows! Our youngest NT will be 34 next year.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-08-2011, 12:28 PM
I'll start it off simple. Here are a list of FAs:

Dixon - Stay - Still young enough to retain on the cheap.
Moore - Gone - Productive, but Redman is #2 and I think that they want to bring Dwyer along.
Spaeth - Gone
Colon - All depends on how his health and contract situation plays out. I believe that Flozell is at $5M next year with no bonus money (so no penalty to cut him). If the new agreement keeps him locked in below that (6 year player FA) then I would go Colon. If he can break the bank then I think they keep Flozell one more year and groom someone.
Hills - Gone - Finally has a chance to dress and its the SB. Hard to tell on this guy if he is completely worthless or worth having as very cheap depth since we never saw him play. I'll guess gone
Essex - Gone - They would love to have him as Mr. Oline Everything but I would think that he wants to have a chance to start at OT somewhere.
Hoke - Gone - Time to look for Snack's eventual replacement.
Woodley - Stay - I think that they find a way to lock him up.
Frazier - Gone, Stay, whatever
Fox - Gone - Keeps making the news for all of the wrong reasons. Too bad, he otherwise is a valuable player who can back up without losing the standard.
Ike - Stay - Former DB coach knows the value of a top DB.
Gay - Gone - They may like him but BMac has signed through 2013 and Gay is up now.
Sep - Stay - Tough call. Would not be surprised if he comes in with a small enough bonus so that he can be cut.