PDA

View Full Version : it's the offenses fault BUT..........

Starlifter
02-07-2011, 12:21 AM
look, it's a rare defense that can withstand 3 turnovers. Clearly however this was a team loss. the pick 6 hurt but our defense let GB turn the other two into 14 points. As bad as the offense played, when it was nut-cutting time - you're down by 3 and GB has 3rd and ten. make the stop, win/tie the game. We give up the 30 yard post.

I know it's a 60 minute game and you can't pin it on one play BUT the mendenhall fumble and that 3rd down conversion was the difference. yes, the offense put the pressure on the defense but at the end of the day while they did an OK job - there were no splash plays, no turnovers and quite frankly - no troy. yes the GB wideouts dictated he play deep but you'd think we would have been prepared to counter that. the one time troy came up to the line it was so obvious a blitz and rogers very leisurely placed his FB in place to pick up troy.

they say defense wins championships. Last SB our defense blew it and the O had to bail them out. This SB our D let rogers drive 80 yards to make it a 6 point game - and this time the O came up short.

pretty sloppy football all around. GB didn't make any huge mistakes, they were the better team today.

BradshawsHairdresser
02-07-2011, 12:35 AM
look, it's a rare defense that can withstand 3 turnovers. Clearly however this was a team loss. the pick 6 hurt but our defense let GB turn the other two into 14 points. As bad as the offense played, when it was nut-cutting time - you're down by 3 and GB has 3rd and ten. make the stop, win/tie the game. We give up the 30 yard post.

I know it's a 60 minute game and you can't pin it on one play BUT the mendenhall fumble and that 3rd down conversion was the difference. yes, the offense put the pressure on the defense but at the end of the day while they did an OK job - there were no splash plays, no turnovers and quite frankly - no troy. yes the GB wideouts dictated he play deep but you'd think we would have been prepared to counter that. the one time troy came up to the line it was so obvious a blitz and rogers very leisurely placed his FB in place to pick up troy.

they say defense wins championships. Last SB our defense blew it and the O had to bail them out. This SB our D let rogers drive 80 yards to make it a 6 point game - and this time the O came up short.

pretty sloppy football all around. GB didn't make any huge mistakes, they were the better team today.
Well put.

DukieBoy
02-07-2011, 12:40 AM
That Mundy block in the back on the KO after the Pack 1st TD produced a very bad outcome. The guy he blocked in the back had no shot at Brown, and it moved the ball from the 43 to the 7, a loss of 36 yards. That led directly to the next play, Kemo got bullrushed, Ben's arm got hit while making the throw that turned into the pick 6., Down 14 -zip.

Steelgal
02-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Too many undisciplined plays too that led to penalties. The PF by Fox on the last drive was huge.

feltdizz
02-07-2011, 01:11 AM
it was the O.... if the O doesn't giving the ball away and get flags all game we win.

Crash
02-07-2011, 01:14 AM
For all the grief the offense gets? In the last 5 quarters of SB football? Dick LeBeau's defense has given up 5 TD passes.

Things have got to change. The scheme is figured out. I keep hearing what a wiz LeBeau is.

But what adjustments do you see from year to year? It's the same system every season.

Starlifter
02-07-2011, 01:18 AM
For all the grief the offense gets? In the last 5 quarters of SB football? bad word LeBeau's defense has given up 5 TD passes.

Things have got to change. The scheme is figured out. I keep hearing what a wiz LeBeau is.

But what adjustments do you see from year to year? It's the same system every season.

I agree. maybe style points DO matter. we have to be able to stop a spread offense.

feltdizz
02-07-2011, 01:18 AM
For all the grief the offense gets? In the last 5 quarters of SB football? bad word LeBeau's defense has given up 5 TD passes.

definitely need an answer to the 4 and 5 wides.... teams are spreading us out and killing us.

but 3 TO's... sorry, it's hard to win when your O keeps giving the ball back.

Oviedo
02-07-2011, 09:17 AM

I agree. maybe style points DO matter. we have to be able to stop a spread offense.

:Agree I've been saying all year long that our secondary is our Achilles Heel. Our front 7 has been masking their weakness for awhile now but good QBs expose that weakness. We need both an infusion of talent (real man to man cover DBs) PLUS a change to give huge cushions scheme that LeBeau for whatever reason likes so much.

NW Steeler
02-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Too many undisciplined plays too that led to penalties. The PF by Fox on the last drive was huge.

Fox should be let go for that penalty alone. That was completely stupid. You have to know the circumstances there.

jj28west
02-07-2011, 05:59 PM

Fox should be let go for that penalty alone. That was completely stupid. You have to know the circumstances there.

Agreed. Kemo & Fox have been on the edge of personal fouls all season. Their retaliation seems very personel and selfish as opposed to looking out for someone like they claim.

grotonsteel
02-07-2011, 06:12 PM

Agreed. Kemo & Fox have been on the edge of personal fouls all season. Their retaliation seems very personel and selfish as opposed to looking out for someone like they claim.

:Agree

Fox needs to go. He is playing stupid on ST throughout the year and if i am not mistaken he is the Captain for ST.

Kemo needs to be replaced. He was thrown like a rag doll throughout the game. If he can't handle people 1-on-1 he needs to be replaced.

grotonsteel
02-07-2011, 06:17 PM

:Agree I've been saying all year long that our secondary is our Achilles Heel. Our front 7 has been masking their weakness for awhile now but good QBs expose that weakness. We need both an infusion of talent (real man to man cover DBs) PLUS a change to give huge cushions scheme that LeBeau for whatever reason likes so much.

Well said.

If Steelers can't get a DB in Rd 1 i hope they go after Jonathan Joseph.

I would like Nnamdi Asomugha but he will be freaking costly.

NW Steeler
02-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Not an OL expert here, but to the casual fans eye it appears that Kemo is only good at pulling run plays and stupid personal foul penalties. Despite how "adequate" the line played, we could be upgraded at 4 positions.

NorthCoast
02-07-2011, 10:29 PM

definitely need an answer to the 4 and 5 wides.... teams are spreading us out and killing us.

but 3 TO's... sorry, it's hard to win when your O keeps giving the ball back.

They were talking about this very thing on Cleveland radio this afternoon. Teams have gradually figured out how to beat the zone-blitz and Pittsburgh's defensive holes are showing their ugly faces. Fortunately, in the league right now, the majority of teams don't have the talent to run that kind of Steeler-killer offense. But look who has given us fits in the last two years; Packers, Saints, Patriots, even Falcons. Teams that have been successful don't even bother to run against us. The difference now is the Steelers hope to catch a defensive break, but opponents have more often than not found ways to exploit the weaknesses with the pass.

A few years back (pre-Woodley) we were debating whether a stronger pass rush or better CBs were the cure for our ails. I was in favor of the stronger pass rush, and it seemed to work for a time after woodley arrived. Now the blocking schemes seem to have neutralized things.

One other thing, on the 30 yd completion down the seam; they say there is no defense against a perfect pass and I have to say that pass was pretty much perfect. Rodgers was on target all night long and our rush had no answers for the most part.

birtikidis
02-08-2011, 12:31 PM
when the defense stopped GB on five straigth drives, what did the offense do?

Ghost
02-08-2011, 01:28 PM
So the offense gets an F and the defense gets a D. Wow...way to show them how to excel D.

How about the D doesn't allow a TD after every turnover? And it's not like the Pack got the ball on the Steelers 5 yard line. Should they just concede a TD after every turnover since there's no possible way for the D to hold them?

How about the D doesn't allow a 31 yard pass on 3rd and 10 with just under 7 minutes left after the O had pulled it to within 3 with a TD and 2pt conversion.

How about the D doesn't get shredded for over 300 yards and 3 TDs by Rodgers.

Again, no one (literally no one) is saying the Offense played well. They did not. And everyone also understands how crushing 3 turnovers are. But on the biggest stage the defense laid a giant turd. One of the worst games of the season if not the worst.

birtikidis
02-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Give a good offensive team extra possessions they're going to put points on the board and move the ball. throw the ball 39 times against any defense and more than likely they're going to make plays and get yards.